The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

People keep blaming Fox for "dismissing" continuity, but doesn't fall more on the writers/directors/producers and not some studio executives.

Fox hired Simon Kinberg, Zak Penn/Ratner/Donor as writer/director/producer did they not?
Now that's just the Last Stand. But keep in mind that they are for the most part 3 out 9 in CBM's. So if it isn't Fox's fault then who's fault is it?

Fox should make a movie about Professor X going bald. They could call it X-Men: The Last Strand. :hehe:

Fox hired Simon Kinberg, Zak Penn/Ratner/Donor as writer/director/producer did they not?
Now that's just the Last Stand. But keep in mind that they are for the most part 3 out 9 in CBM's. So if it isn't Fox's fault then who's fault is it?

If you're talking continuity in the film, like how Xavier and Magneto met in First Class as opposed to what was said in X-Men or all the other little things in First Class. Then yeah, continuity like that falls on the director/writers/producers.

If you're talking continuity in the film, like how Xavier and Magneto met in First Class as opposed to what was said in X-Men or all the other little things in First Class. Then yeah, continuity like that falls on the director/writers/producers.

Correct. Fox hired them so its ultimately Fox's fault for not just the X continuity issues but the mucking up of these CBM period (outside of 3 movies)

Fox has made crap, but to blame the studio for continuity issues between movies, and not the people who were actually creatively involved in writing and directing the movie, that just makes people sound like big babies. But whatever, some people need a boogeyman to be mad at.

Also any problems with continuity you can't blame on the hiring the people for X3, because well isn't it obvious?

Fox has made crap, but to blame the studio for continuity issues between movies, and not the people who were actually creatively involved in writing and directing the movie, that just makes people sound like big babies. But whatever, some people need a boogeyman to be mad at.

Also any problems with continuity you can't blame on the hiring the people for X3, because well isn't it obvious?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...om+rothman+x+men&hl=en&safe=off&gbv=2&ct=clnkComic book fans had been looking so carefully at the alleged troubles of The Punisher and The Watchmen that we took our eyes off Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine*. I call it Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine because he is the star, and because it looks like it may not be director Gavin Hood’s Wolverine.

It may in fact be Fox Co-Chairman and CEO Tom Rothman’s Wolverine!

The studio chief is apparently worried that the film will be too dark and he’s overriding the decisions of the films director in order to give it a lighter tone.

Worried?

Maybe you should be.

*technically the film is called X-Men Origins: Wolverine – but I don’t really like that title.

According to Hollywood Elsewhere there has been a bit of friction between Hood and Rothman on the set recently. When I say a bit, what I really mean is “a hell of a lot.” Hood is supposed to have asked for a “huge” set to be painted so that it would appear “dark, dinghy and somber side”, however when the director returned to the set a few days later it had been repainted a brighter color at the behest of Rothman.

Not a big deal, I hear some of you saying. Well, directors are supposed to have a vision – that is why they are usually hired–but it looks like Rothman’s vision is all that matters here. In fact, some might say that he’s robbing Hood of his duties, but I wouldn’t be so crass as to make such a bad pun. Whoops, just did.

Rothman wants a mega grossing summer movie for summer ’09 – which is something that the studio lacked this year (X-Files anyone) and it looks like he’ll stop at nothing to achieve that no matter how much the quality suffers. It’s not like a dark, grim and violent comic book movie could make $500 million in the US alone. Oh, wait – The Dark Knight already did that!

For X-Men fans, or film followers in general, this will leave some of you with flashbacks to how Fox treated X-Men: The Last Stand. It’s no secret that Fox has constantly displayed a lack of respect for The X-Men as a property. From rushing the films into production, to giving them a relatively low budget, Fox has treated the franchise like an unwanted obligation, which is odd considering the amount of money X-men has made.

While this painting and decorating issue could be a one time event, there are rumblings that there have been other problems on the set. With a bit of luck it could be that everyone has so much passion for the project that they want it to succeed – because if it’s successful it would launch a huge (Jackman?) franchise.

Fingers crossed folks. When there’s more news you’ll get it here!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine opens on May 1, 2009

So When the Fox CEO is all in the decisions and overriding things then you can BLAME FOX because they have the final say on everything and can order rewrites of the script.. That can cause.... Wait for it...... Continuity issues at the very least of damage

Can this rest now?

Last edited:
Tom Rothman micromanaging has nothing to do with the continuity issues in First Class, though. Crippling Xavier at the end was Vaughn's decision, having Magneto and Xavier meet as men in their 30s - Vaughn, having Beast look more feline - Vaughn. Those are such minute things, that I can't see Fox execs wringing their hands and cackling in the dark about how they are going to screw the X-Men fans with the continuity issues.

This is the case where you can't blame the studio.

Tom Rothman micromanaging has nothing to do with the continuity issues in First Class, though. Crippling Xavier at the end was Vaughn's decision, having Magneto and Xavier meet as men in their 30s - Vaughn, having Beast look more feline - Vaughn. Those are such minute things, that I can't see Fox execs wringing their hands and cackling in the dark about how they are going to screw the X-Men fans with the continuity issues.

:doh: Well lets say they may know better now in hiring Mark Millar to consult because though it may (or may not In your opinion) be their fault.. They payed the price. Loss of box office numbers

Does anyone actually believe that First Class underperformed due to a scene contradicting a one off comment Magneto made in X-2? Really?

^fanboys still bring up hank's 2 second tv appearance in x2 as a major continuity issue dont put it past them

Does anyone actually believe that First Class underperformed due to a scene contradicting a one off comment Magneto made in X-2? Really?

No not directly but I was saying that if x men had more continuity then they could have set it up as previous movies selling the next movie like the x films are just continuations from the others but with the continuity mess they really can't do that though they'd try. That is what marvel studios got right and fox hasn't and IMO if you fall short even a million dollars for something that could have been fixed then it's a issue. They should've never put themselves into a position that their x-men movie can get so picked apart by anyone that really pays attention.

Fox did have the Beast make-up altered once or twice during filming, so the Rothman gang was doing some micromanaging....

No not directly but I was saying that if x men had more continuity then they could have set it up as previous movies selling the next movie like the x films are just continuations from the others but with the continuity mess they really can't do that though they'd try. That is what marvel studios got right and fox hasn't and IMO if you fall short even a million dollars for something that could have been fixed then it's a issue. They should've never put themselves into a position that their x-men movie can get so picked apart by anyone that really pays attention.

The thing is your average movie viewer doesn't obsess over minutiae. The biggest problem with First Class was Raven's wonky characterization compared to X1-3. Other than that, little details like "Beast looks different" won't even register for people who haven't seen X-Men 3 since 2006.

I'm not claiming that continuity errors are excusable, I'm just saying no one said "I'm not going to see X-Men: First Class because Beast is a different shade of blue." or "I Hear Magneto doesn't make Cerebro, **** this noise."

If anything they went "X-Men without Wolverine? What's the point?"

Last edited:
The thing is your average movie viewer doesn't obsess over minutiae. The biggest problem with First Class was Raven's wonky characterization compared to X1-3. Other than that, little details like "Beast looks different" won't even register for people who haven't seen X-Men 3 since 2006.

I'm not claiming that continuity errors are excusable, I'm just saying no one said "I'm not going to see X-Men: First Class because Beast is a different shade of blue." or "I Hear Magneto doesn't make Cerebro, **** this noise."

If anything they went "X-Men without Wolverine? What's the point?"

I agree but they didn't go see it because they weren't that interested because the CBM enthusiasts weren't even that enthusiastic. One thing I will say that Star Trek, Star Wars, CBM are unique (And this is my opinion) that If their core audience raves about the movie the GA will follow. If the reviews are great then even more will see it. Then it makes 400mil or more domestically. Everybody dismisses the fanboy but I look at the trend. Outside of Transformers when you have a niche genre like a CBM or Star-"Whatever" you have to fully sell your base (Just like politics) when you sell your base your base sells it to everyone else. Marketing is supposed to be viral. If your base virus is weak then it won't spread. Thats where Fox failed. They didn't just change or mess with continuity a little,they outright insulted their core by mostly dismissing them and prioritizing the budget over the quality..

Hence low BO returns.. And something that simple as not insulting your base with subtle and not so subtle continuity gaffes is why they failed

To add. Look how Disney failed with John Carter. They had this crazy expensive marketing blitz but nobody cared and nobody saw it. Why because the people they were selling to weren't interested. I know I wasn't and I'm a Sci-Fi Buff

Last edited:

Wait so FOX has diplomatic immunity against the people they hire to make their films???

Are they not the parts that make studio...?

This is like telling my son where babies come from.
I'm done.

Last edited:
^fanboys still bring up hank's 2 second tv appearance in x2 as a major continuity issue dont put it past them

When in doubt, just call people names since your 15,000+ post in here places you in no jeopardy of being the pot calling out the kettles.

Wait so FOX has diplomatic immunity against the people they hire the to make their films???

Are they not the parts that make studio...?

This is like telling my son where babies come from.
I'm done.

When it comes to little bits of dialogue that may contradict a little bit continuity between the films, then no they aren't responsible. But whatever, you and a lot of people obviously need a boogeyman.

Last edited:
Don't know how this thread got hidden, but I'm bringing it back from the dead!!

Let's continue the discussion of how to get Marvel's rights back!!!

Marvel got DD back already, FF will follow in one or two years.
But that's it, unfortunaly. Fox actually manages to get X-Men movies out every two years and Sony makes Spidey movies.
Not much to discuss right now

Don't know how this thread got hidden, but I'm bringing it back from the dead!!

Let's continue the discussion of how to get Marvel's rights back!!!

Because we can totally get Marvel's rights back for Disney.

Marvel got DD back already, FF will follow in one or two years.
But that's it, unfortunaly. Fox actually manages to get X-Men movies out every two years and Sony makes Spidey movies.
Not much to discuss right now

FF got a release date of March 2015 and a director. It's going to be made.

You have to be incredibly naive to think Fox will let Fantastic Four go back to Marvel so easily. They kept the license because it has much more potential for international success than Daredevil does at face value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"