The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by kaijunexus, Feb 13, 2011.

1. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I don't mind if Marvel gets all the rights back but not X-MEN! I love FOX for bringing us the X-Men movies and Marvel Studios already has a lot of movie projects in their hands and for them to have X-Men too would just feel too much for me I guess.

2. hegemony

hegemony Active Member

3. bullets

bullets bang bang

X-Men aren't going back to Marvel but at least Daredevil and Fantastic Four should be. I haven't heard anything in awhile about either of those two.

4. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

with a movie as big and good as TA in their back, MS should grow some balls and demand the rights for DD and FF back

5. bubbadoom

bubbadoom Well-Known Member

It's not a question of "balls" but of honoring the terms of the deals [good or bad] that were made when Fox took the risk and optioned these unproven properties.

Funny, "balls" can used on this site but apparently not "*****ing"...wtf?

6. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

maybe because balls is usually a term used to describe round objects mostly used in sports, whereas *****ing is not?

7. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

8. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

Speak of the devil.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/04/27/x-men-fantastic-four-tom-rothman/

On the positive side Trank is a good director and Fox seems to have turned a new leaf. So I don't think he'll really be artistically castrated.

The negative side is that Silver Surfer and Galactus are still over at Fox and they would work incredibly well in the MCU. :(

Oh well.

9. kaijunexus

kaijunexus Marvel Cinematic Universe

I don't know. FF rumors have been so up and down over the past several years, and now Rothman is "hopeful". Thankfully, I don't think it really bodes well for that franchise at Fox.

It is frustrating though, not knowing when these contracts actually expire. There was a recent interview with Feige and Ruffulol in which Feige stated that the contracts with other studios deal in "years and decades". That "decades" part made me a little queasy... lol

10. roach

roach I am the night

i'd actually like to see what they can do with a FF reboot

just because the rights revert back to Marvel doesn't mean we'll see the movies anytime soon....Blade or Punisher anyone???

with the rights being spread across a few studios it means we get more superhero movies....if any of the other properties reverted they wouldn't start work on them until 2017 or beyond

11. kaijunexus

I'm okay with waiting, as long as we know these characters will be integrated into the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Quite frankly, I don't care about non-MCU movies featuring Marvel characters anymore. I did when there was nothing else, but now that we have a Marvel-controlled movie universe, why look back?

I can't help but see Sony and Fox's Marvel films as "inauthentic" now that we have an official MCU. To me, they are independant interpretations of the characters, while those in the MCU are official canon.

Even if a Sony or Fox movie is great, I still don't have the interest for it that I would for an MCU film. For instance, X-Men: First Class was awesome! I loved it! But it still felt like a cool independent superhero film to me than an "X-MEN" film, as it would if it were done by Marvel Studios.

Anyone else feel this way?

12. roach

roach I am the night

I support superhero movies regardless of who puts them out

13. ЯɘvlveR

ЯɘvlveR danneB

even if they don't get the rights, i don't see how the studios can't work together. i mean, those characters are still marvel property right? so why not have spidey or wolverine have cameos in avengers films?

14. Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel SHAZAM!

The film versions of those characters aren't Marvel property.

15. kaijunexus

Even though it's all Marvel properties, and any superhero movie doing well is good for the genre as a whole....these studios are still in competition, and they would probably see featuring or hinting at another studio's characters as free advertising for their competitors.

16. roach

roach I am the night

because of money and lawyers

17. bubbadoom

I guess I pay more attention to context -

A "*****" is just a female dog, where's the harm in using a word like that? How I was using it was just another term for griping, much less "offensive" than a term for testicles - but what ever...

18. roach

roach I am the night

just found out in the DD thread that Fox just renewed the rights and they have a writer

19. kaijunexus

As angry and frustrated I am by this turn of events, it does enlighten us to the fact that these contracts can apparently be renewed by simply paying for the option.

Previously, I believe it was assumed by everyone that the rights would automatically revert if a film wasn't produced in set amount of years. But unfortunately, it's now apparent that these companies can simply throw some cash at Marvel and retain the rights indefinitely...

[​IMG]

20. Duke

Duke Well-Known Member

I wish Marvel had some sort of power to veto upcoming ideas from hack studios such as Fox.

21. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

marvel cant even give us a 1st black panther,doctor strange,iron fist,ant man,etc.

i say focus on those before they even try for reboots for rights they wont get back lol

22. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

Well I said this a while back but Marvel actually has a pretty good relationship with both Fox and Sony. They feel somewhat indebted to them seeing as they basically bailed them out from having to declare bankruptcy in the 90's.

That's why they haven't really aggressively pursued a lot of these franchises back into their grip. However as Disney's influence spreads over Marvel those ties will soon become a thing of the past.

23. roach

roach I am the night

um...they do. They are part of the process

24. roach

roach I am the night

i don't know why people think Marvel and Fox are enemies

25. bubbadoom

I thought Toy Biz bought Marvel at this time, and that's what got them out of the bankruptcy thing...and gave Avi control of these characters...