The Official Ghost Rider Hype Lounge!

I always thought GR was cool, but I never actually read any of the comics. I have always been a Marvel fan, but for some reason never read the GR series. Can someone tell me about GR?

Sheff:confused:

That sounds downright bad-ass! I would like to see Bruce Willis in here somewhere. He is a very versitile actor and could make a good villian.

Sheff:cool:

Marvel Movies...
you may try and get some of the issues that reprinted some the old 70's comics. the best were "The Original Ghost Rider Rides Again" . These had 2 reprinted issues that covered the last issues in the series. "The Original Ghost Rider" came later and just reprinted the very 1st GR appearances in Marvel Spotlight and some of the regular series starting w/ issues 1. IMO the best stories were from the last issues of the 70s comic....in all honesty the issues from marvel spotlight and some of the early GR series weren't very good either artwise or storywise (except the very first few issues drawn by Mike Ploog of course). The 1st early issues were extremely hokey. the book really didnt start hitting its stride until sometime around issue 30 and up. this is where Blaze was starting to loose control of GR and was becoming a completely different entity...stories were getting better too....some were actually rather creepy and quite sad at times.
one of my faves was "Highway to Hell" where GR hunts down a mobster for killing a young kids parents in a circus act. quite kool too as GR stops the kid from shooting the mobster (by wacking him upside the head!) and saying "Vengeance is the Devil's Work!!" and pretty much warned that he could be next if he didnt watch himself...great story

Yeah i would suggest that if anyone wants to get any GR back issues now is the time to do it. IMO once pics hit the net of the actuall movie shoot and when the teaser trailer hits the theater prices will more than likely go up on both 70's and 90's books. I dont think the prices will go up too much but im sure you can save a few $$ if you get them now.

A broken animation sequence compiled from Bernie Wrightson's illustrations...:ghost:

302403.gif

Originally posted by phlogiston
303882.gif

Bernie Wrightson is the man.:ghost:

Yes, yes he is :)

I hope they keep that idea about GR having different outfits depending on what Blaze is wearing at the time.....that one w/ GR in a trenchcoat was simply just too cool!

Here is a question for you dudes:
Does it matter if the movie is a literal translation of the GR origin (from the Marvel Spotlight issues) or can it take liberties w/ the storyto make it more entertaining
For example: Spider Man was extremely close to the original books while movies like X-Men, Hulk and Blade changed a lot stuff.

Personally i hope they just keep the basics :Blaze sells his soul to save someone he loves and that he is a motorcycle stuntman.
I never liked the original story....it was pretty bad and wouldnt translate well to the big screen..imo. It could probably work as a TV series though.
In the original stories Blaze is still "Blaze" when he becomes GR....same mind only his skin is transparent and appears to be on fire. The "smack talking" demon Zarathos doesnt really show up in the series until much later.
Also the stories brought back his dead surrogate father Crash Simpson as a re-incarnated motorcycle gang member. he makes a deal w/ Satan that if he sacrifices both his own daughter and Blaze he would live again. Also there is alot of satanic "mumbo-jumbo" that would just seem silly by today's audiences.

Ive seen alot of talk about how some comic book fans are upset that many of their fave superheroes' origins are changed when made into a movie. GR (like Blade) is gonna be a special case I think....the story isnt set in stone since its been changed around so much and GR isnt really that well know by the general public (unlike Spider Man)
What do you guys think?

I think that Blaze should be kept as a pretty decent person, like in the books, and that he should have something to do wih motorcycles, not necessarily a stunt motorcyclist, he could be a mechanic. I say this because, I really don't see Nicolas Cage asan X-Games type person. I would believe his role more if he were a mechanic with a passion for motorcylces. Then again, his stunt motorcylcist history may help draw in the X-Games crowd.

Think about it:

Grungy Good Hearted Mechanic- gets tricked into selling his soul- turns into Ghost Rider

Trouble Maker Stuntman- gets tricked into selling his soul- turns into Ghost Rider

I don't know why but the former just clicks better with me.

True.....Cage is a bit old for a stunt man...but if his backstory was that he was a famous stuntman as a youngster who now as a adult co-owned the carnival w/ his surrogate dad Crash Simpson.
Blaze wont be making public stunts or anything..he will be too old of course. maybe he just recently stopped doing them so he can run the carnival w/ Crash. this way GR will still have the knowledge (from Blaze) of doing all kinds of funky bike tricks as in the comics.
Blaze did own the Quintin Carnival when he was re-introduced in the 90s book i believe....so actually it wont be a bit of a stretch....just merging different parts of the GR mythos together.

i have no problem with mixing basics from the book with new ideas, it could turn out veeeery good !
and MarvelMovies, i was doing the exact same thing..:)
and at last...i also wanna see a trenchcoat gr !

YES ! YES ! YES ! ETERNAL HAPPINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS !!!
my gr comics just arrived...:dances around happily: whohooooooooooooooooooooo

i meant buying on ebay for a better price than in shops !

after reading some of the comics already i want a scene like this. somewhere in the movie, maybe after a confrontation with mephisto or any bad news, you hear a woman screaming her voice to death, gr jumps on his bike and drives there in full speed, he arrives and the lady is dead, but you see the guy running away with her money, he chases him and tracks him down and when he sees gr he says: "i don't care, i don't fear death." and then in a deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep horrific voice gr says: "there are worse things than death !" and you can see him starting his look in the eyes, then the camera turns away, the guys seem like shadows and then the scene ends hearing the guy screaming "oh lord"..etc.

oh,btw
is this an official picture or just concept art ???
ghost_rider.jpg

yeah a stunts motorcyclist like you see at circuses. riding on high wire, in that huge ball, jumping in hoops of fire, and such. Evil kaneivel was pretty old before he stopped jumping. so cage's age isn't that big of a deal. thought cage sold his soul to save someone elses life not his?

Originally posted by POKI
oh,btw
is this an official picture or just concept art ???
ghost_rider.jpg

I believe that was simply a promo poster made for the Cannes Film Festival a few years ago...just to get other people in the industry know that it was going to be made....

Rscal....
yup...in the original 70's comic, Blaze sold his sold to save the life of his surrogate father Crash Simpson from cancer.
From what i heard (at least when Norrington was attached) that the reason why Blaze becomes GR in the movie was to save the life of someone he loves....this could either be Crash or his girlfriend/wife Roxanne. Right now this could all change as the director is still finishing the script...so anything is possible at this point.

I'd say make Roxanne his wife in the movie.

It would be nice to see a Superhero who is married on the big screen :D

Originally posted by rasputin386
Who would you all prefer, Nicholas Cage or Kiefer Sutherland?

-The Heroic Hemophiliac

Kiefer Sutherland........but Nicolas Cage will do........I think he has one more film to do then it's straight to Ghost Rider......YESSSSSS

Ok..seems this thread needs some activity again...heh. gotta keep it goin kids!
but anyway......a few years ago when Marvel had a early draft of Ghost Rider (this is in the early to mid 90s i believe) there was an idea that instead of GR shooting Hellfire from his hands he would have to use a shotgun to channel it instead (like Blaze did in the 90s book). he would pick up a normal gun ...and it would change so he could fire it.

now my question is for the fans of both the 70s and 90s comic....
which would you prefer? The old fashioned Hellfire from the hands or would you prefer a demonic looking shotgun to fire it instead?
:unishr:

Well i never really knew much about ghost rider until me I started playing Marvel vs Capcom and blackheart became one of my favourite fighters. I did know OF ghost rider and but it wasnt til i did some web research on blackheart to find he was mephistos aka devils son and a villan for ghost rider.

Eversince then and reading lots into the ghost rider plot and so forth on the web have wanted a movie and would have loved a movie of it with blackheart as the main villan.

I would like to see cage as blaze over sutherland, as i think sutherland might be a bit busy with season three of 24 and the 4th season if the show still rakes in the ratings after that.

As for your question biggun, from what ive read off the web (i really should start reading comics some day....I get so wraped up in their universes/plots just by what i read off the web!) I find it rather hard to think what would workout better for the movie. Then again we are dealing with hell, mephisto, blackheart, ect here so I think the oldschool choice of hellfire from the hands would be better since its more homeage to the origional comic.

Eitherway I'll be more than happy if we get a scene, maybe a fight scene of blackheart vs ghostrider since it would be two hellish supernatural powers pitted against each other.

As for how blackheart could look, they could go for something like this....

blackheart.jpg

Blackheart on the big screen ......drooooool

Wow, Biggun and I thought I loved GR! That an interesting concept with hellfire shotgun. I never have really liked it when characters emit powers, energy through their hands. Don't know why, just seems a little corny. I think his primary weapon should be his chain, I liked how it could morph into different things in the 90's series.

How about this: in addition to his chain any weapon he picks up makes on some warped demonic appearance and produces hell-fire. If he picks up a shotgun it gets all twisted and evil looking and blast out hell-fire, or if he picks up a pieace of pipe it gets spikey and cover with hell-fire.

I really hope they do this film right, and I hope it has plenty of violence. I mean we are dealing with a demon here!

Nick Cage as Ghost Rider could be great. He definitely has the acting chops to bring something cool to the character. Also with him involved the over all production quality will almost certainly be hi. I've also heard he is a fan. Then again so was Affleck.

Originally posted by SPIDER-BONE
Wow, Biggun and I thought I loved GR! B]

Heh....yeah old school from 76!

I was thinking the same thing SB....any item is a potential weapon in GR's hands. In the 90s book Blaze also had a bowie knife and he could channel Hellfire around the blade. Would be cool to see GR take a knife and it extends to the length of a machete only "demonically deformed" w/ Hellfire all over the blade. Another cool scene would be GR walking calmly into the villain's headquarters carrying 2 demonic shotguns blasting everything in sight w/ Hellfire.
I agree that the Chain would have to be his main weapon of choice....w/ cgi they could make it do all those funky tricks like in the book.

MarvelMov.....yeah that was a pretty bad cartoon.....the voice of GR was the worst thing about it imo. Very sissy soundin' for a Spirit of Vengeance! but at least we were treated to a animated GR.

Pyro...glad that someone else sees the logic of having Cage. we can at least depend on seeing a movie that is well done (at least production wise) and more than likely heavily advertised.
Personally i cant wait for that...can you guys imagine seeing GR TV spots? ads in magazines? TV specials about GR and how Cage got involved?
I have this demented dream that i would go outside on some Halloween night and see a couple of kids on dirt bikes wearing the "officially licensed Ghost Rider costume" while chasing down other kids while yelling "I am the Spirit of Vengeance mortal scum! Give me your candy or feel my unholy wrath!!" heh:ghost:

Whats the estimated start date for filming and release date?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"