The Official God of War Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Thread Manager, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]348066[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]296710[/split]

3. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

Cory says he has 5 games mapped out. Thats assuming he will still be doing the games. He may get burned out and leave with someone else taking over and going in a different direction. 4 more games at up to 3 years development time (or more) could be 12 years, across 3 console cycles. Anything can change

4. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Cory said he didn't want to make the next game. But there is an overall structure to what is going forward.

5. Jick

Jick Auxiliary Assistant

I don't know how I feel about that. You can see that Cory being a father has a huge impact on many of the game's decisions, specially since it's a father-son focused story.

I know that there are many talented directors out there, but I wouldn't want to see him go so soon. I'd understand, but it's still a loss. Kratos and Atreus' dynamic was great.

6. -VisionsVision-

-VisionsVision- Geralt of Rivia

I wonder if Atreus will be much older in the sequel? I picture him being 18 or 19 with long hair.

7. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Just played the first 45 mins or so of this tonight and wow, this game seriously lives up to the hype, amazing stuff.

8. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

He's not getting that old. [BLACKOUT]Ragnarok is supposed to come in about 3 years.[/BLACKOUT] We dont know if that will come by the next game or the third, but considering he is like 10-11 now, the oldest he's gonna get by the end of this is going to be 14

It gets much, much better. The first hour didnt grab me but dang it really is the GoTY as of now

9. Jick

Jick Auxiliary Assistant

We have to consider the actor as well. How old was he when he portrayed Atreus some years ago and how old will he be when he does it again? Maybe his voice will be a little changed. His size as well and I'd like to see that reflect on the character.
    I don't want to think that they'll recast him.

10. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

For me the first hour has been amazing, that fight with the stranger really was something else. I know this franchise is known for good boss fights, but out of the 2 games I have played in it, that was one of the best.

11. ehh

ehh iono

I just completed the story mode. Fantastic game!

Are there any tips on how to level up faster? I am trying to do the extra missions, and beating the Valkyries is just insanely difficult.

12. Spidey17

Spidey17 Well-Known Member

I thought Red Dead Redemption 2 or Spider-Man would be the first game I bought this year, but you guys are getting me hyped up for God of War again.

Is it the new best game in the series for anyone?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  13. spiderman2

spiderman2 Well-Known Member

Man you have not bought a game all year? That is crazy to me I cant remember like the last time I went this far in a year with out buying a game I wanted. I have never played RDR not really to interested in it either but I know people would think I am kind of crazy for saying that. This GOW is the only one I have played never was to interested in them before but thought I would like this one has it looked a lo different. I beat it like 1.5 months or so ago and I did like it a lot but I am pretty sure that Spiderman is going to end up being my GOTY because I love spiderman and insominiac I think is like the prefect pick for spiderman from what I have seen and I love the ratchet games been playing a lot of them lately.

14. legendkillin

legendkillin Well-Known Member

I thought the Dwarves were Loki because they would show up out of nowhere. It seemed like something he would do, help us to stick it to the other Gods. It would also be kick starting Ragnarok for him. Interesting that Atreus is Loki, I think that final image on the wall with Kratos dying is only partial. Kratos will probably die but Atreus will bring him back when he outburst maybe sending some of his God ability into Kratos. They did a good job of setting up 2 more games, by just focusing on Baldur and Frigg. Next game will likely be Thor, more Serpent, Frigg, and another God or Giant showing up like Surtur. Odin will be saved for the 3rd of course.

It was a really good game, so fun and a great story. I would probably have it as my 2nd favorite in the series with the 3rd being 1st.

15. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

I just finished this the other day. Overall it's a pretty good game, but like with Spider-Man the hype was overblown. The character moments were good but formulaic, the plot nonexistent and the villains underdeveloped. The combat was about as good as melee can get, but the lack of variety got old towards the end, especially when they started to spam you with dozens of enemies simply to prolong the play time. The optional realms felt like they were from an MMO; whose idea was it to include that much grind in a single play game?

The only big things that bugged me was the constant unnecessary "reveals" about certain characters true nature (the game did it at least four times), the lack of a meaningful plot and a disappointing ending. Also, the Sigrun boss fight was beyond irritating; it took me two hours on easy mode with level 8 armor to beat

The only truly standout elements to were the music, voice acting and graphics. Still, it is better than most games being made today, and I certainly appreciate the level of care and craft that went into it, especially when single player games are gradually being phased out. With all of my caveats and nitpicks, it's still one of the best games of this generation.

16. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

The plot was nonexistent?

Did you even pay attention? It's an entirely plot driven single player game about a father and son's journey to lay their wife and mother to rest, and their developing relationship while on that journey. It's also got the Balder plotline. And Atreus's character arc. And the coming of Ragnarok plotline. Saying it has no plot is like saying Alaska has no snow.

17. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

There's a difference between character development and plot. The entirety of the plot for this game was "take mother's ashes to the highest peak in the realm." The only reason why it takes over 20 hours is because of the endless digressions it interrupts you with. Case in point, you waste nearly half of the game trying to climb a certain mountain, only to discover the right peak is somewhere else entirely. And then after spending more time finding a way to get there, Kratos' wrecks it before it can be used. There's a lot of backstory and lore, things that will become important in later games, but most of it is just foreshadowing. It felt a lot like a Netflix show, padding out a short story over too long of a run time.

I've also grown tired of this recent trend of having an in-game guide tell you what to do, especially when it has a chirpy British/Scottish accent. It happened in Mass Effect: Andromeda, and it's happening again with Anthem. It robs the player of agency, which is the most important part of any game. A lot of the Battlefield/CoD games do this too, having your character ordered around by his subordinates.