The Official God of War Thread

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Thread Manager, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparta*

Sparta* ~Sword of Darkness~

Yeah if it's upgraded it will trap an enemy in an orb and they are slowed down to a crawl. I think it might affect surrounding enemies to a lesser extent

2. Figs

Figs Well-Known Member

I upgraded it on normal but never really used it in combat. Thanks for letting me know. :)

3. Drz

Drz Real Hero

If there's one thing that sucks in the new game imo is how parry works, it was alot smoother transition in the previous installments.

4. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

The parry makes alot of sense in multiplayer but yeah, I don't see why they couldn't keep the old parry for single player.

5. Figs

Figs Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I first tried it, I was annoyed to say the least. In the previous three games, it was easy to pull off. In Ascension, the timing is a bit more precise. That and it only really knocks out one guy instead of knocking around whoever is near you. Doesn't help a lot when you're in a corner with a lot of those bad guys who jump at you with swords.

Just finished my third play through last night. Did hard mode for the trophy. After beating it on Titan, Hard mode felt like normal difficulty. One last trophy to get, need to slow down 100 enemies.

6. BrollySupersj

BrollySupersj Fantastic spider powers

So I got around to playing this a few days ago, beat it in two days, still a fun series. Didn't like how we only had one main weapon (not counting enemy weapons, they were useless). But having different effects for the Blades of Chaos was a nice touch.

However, I was totally unimpressed with the different skins, they're just multiplayer skins laired over Kratos. Seemed kinda lazy to me.

7. Drz

Drz Real Hero

it's a shame how decent it is compared to Chains of Olympus, God of War 2, Ghost of Sparta and hell even tho God of War 3 was really awful with Kratos' and the setting was less exciting, i'd still rate GoW3 above this. This is more on the same standard as the 1st GoW, but c'mon GoW was a masterpiece back then and really showed what it could do. This was like a big blockbuster commercial to the franchise in hopes of getting new fans. =S

I think the story narrative could have been done abit different, maybe more focus on Ares' being the antagonist, because like Ghost of Sparta, this game lacks awesomesauce villains.

8. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

It really lacks in cool villains indeed. I would have loved to see Ares again in some form.

And saying it is the same standard as the first GoW isn't fair to the first game if you ask me. The first one still holds up in gameplay, story, narration and level design. The only thing Ascension has above it IMO is, of course, the graphics and animations. The rest is very uninspired compared to the first two games.

9. eternalinferno

eternalinferno Well-Known Member

I have a voucher for the gow origins collection that I don't need, if anyone is interested

10. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

So, how's your multiplayer experience so far guys?

I'm having a blast! My main is still Poseidon but I'm really starting to like Ares too. Haven't tried out Zeus yet and just a little with Hades.

11. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

So they've fixed alot of stuff with a new patch now! Online balance, you can now reach level 40 with one new magic attack, one new item and 2 new relics for each character.

THEY FIXED THE SOUND ISSUE (thank God!)

They balanced multiplayer.

They've added so you can now read your multiplayer stats.

Though I have a bug now, when I play for example Zeus, my xp now goes to Hades all the time instead haha! But other than that, great patch SMS! :up:

12. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I really hope there is either a next gen GoW game or a replacement game set with a mythological background and new character but with equivalent production standards to the GoW games.

13. CrypticOne

CrypticOne Poetic Violence

Did anyone ever watch the God of War live panel with all the director's of each installment? What David Jaffe and Cory Barlog invisioned for God of War 3 and future installments was amazing. I hope they still follow that plan.

14. Iceman

No but I definitely want to see that if you ever find it.

Was it at a particular event?

15. CrypticOne

CrypticOne Poetic Violence

I'm not sure. But it was strictly a GOW one. With a nice looking lady hosting it. I downloaded on my PS3 because I got the new GOW bundle and it came free with it.

16. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

I havent played it yet but managed to purchase Ascension today for $5. At that price, it seemed like a no brainer

17. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

It's definitely worth $5.

18. Iceman

I need to see it!

I wonder how bad a game would have to be to not be worth $5 haha. I played at a convention and whether or not it's overall a disappointment, it definitely looked worth a fair bit more than $5. :yay:

19. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Yeah. I think $15 used is a fair price. $5 is a bargain.

20. Benstamania

Benstamania Go away.

I played the demo for Ascension.. I quite liked it. I think it mostly suffered from God of War overkill. I don't know anyone who was asking for another GoW at the time it came out.

21. Iceman

I feel the same about God of War & Gears of War. The last games were one game too many for last gen and they should have stopped at the triumphant points of God of War 3 & Gears of War 3. Then after a significant break people would have been ready for a new and far upgraded game a few years into next gen. I'll still play every game in both series regardless.

22. Jick

Jick Auxiliary Assistant

I did. It was quite interesting. I almost wish they had followed the other route.

23. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

Same shocking feeling I got finding out TC Carson is Kratos, as when I found out James Avery was Shredder.

24. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

25. Tron Bonne

Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

This is a super old post, but while I'm curious what they envisioned, God of War as a story stopped at the first one to me. The gameplay always remained solid, but the story after that is just 'what if' nonsense to me. The first game is perfect from a story perspective

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.