The Official God of War Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am and am not taking it literally and already explained both. Literally, it doesn't really matter since his godly powers were transfered to the Colossus, the Blade of Olympus and he was dethroned by Zeus. He hasn't been a god ever since, but a demi god once again.
Figuratively, I don't think it matters one bit to Kratos what he used to represent. He got his revenge, destroyed everything that was and wasn't on his path and even then I don't believe he was able to forgive himself. All of what he felt was anger and regret. The only thing left for him was to kill himself. That got him nothing. That old god label he was given resulted on nothing to him.
We're yet to see it once the game comes out but what's been said and shown so far point towards that.
Okay first, I don't think what you are saying is what makes a god a god in God of War is. It isn't simply having "godly powers". The gods are a race of people, the product of Titans reproducing. Stripped of his powers, Zeus would still be a god, Just like the Titans are always Titans. Kratos and Hercules are always demigods, the results of the gods reproducing with mankind.

When Kratos becomes the God of War, he doesn't have "godly" powers. He has the powers given to him from Pandora's Box. Powers that I believe belong to the war between the Titans and the gods.

When Kratos becomes, "the God of War". Its a title. Nothing more. But in every semblance of the phrase as used for the title of the series, Kratos is the "God of War". He is a master of war, the best of warriors. He is the God of War.

I don't think the title should represent what he used to be, but what he is trying to (or ultimately will) become, like the first game in the series did.
By the way, two out of three Wolverine movies had Wolverine in the title. They had the courage to deviate from that and were still successful. So, why not change it here too? Barlog said it isn't a numbered game because this is a different Kratos with different goals and he wanted the title to reflect that. Instead of just not give it a number, they could've come with a different name to the game at the same time, but something that is still familiar with the series. The second PSP game was named Ghost of Sparta. That was one opportunity where they could have abandoned the God of War name, but Kratos, during that story, was still the God of War and hadn't been dethroned, so it made sense in that case.
He is still the God of War. He is still Kratos, Ghost of Sparta, God of War, the God Killer, etc. And that is what he will always be.

Kratos problem is his guilt. But his guilt isn't about killing the gods. It is an overall guilt of being a really good warrior, a really good killer. He is going to have to accept his past to move past it. Accept that he is, "the God of War".

But here is a question for you. Why do you assume they want to change the name? Why do you assume they need to? What if the title fits perfectly for all those involved? Balrog say he didn't want it to be called, "God of War"? You sure there is no underlying reason for the title?

Okay first, I don't think what you are saying is what makes a god a god in God of War is. It isn't simply having "godly powers". The gods are a race of people, the product of Titans reproducing. Stripped of his powers, Zeus would still be a god, Just like the Titans are always Titans. Kratos and Hercules are always demigods, the results of the gods reproducing with mankind.

When Kratos becomes the God of War, he doesn't have "godly" powers. He has the powers given to him from Pandora's Box. Powers that I believe belong to the war between the Titans and the gods.
Godly powers as in having the power to compare to the other gods, to bring them to an end. Kratos became one when he absorbed the power in Pandora's Box, killed Ares and was accepted on Olympus as his successor. He acted just like the previous one when he descended from there as a giant and assisted on destroying the city of Rhodes. He ceased from being one when he was robbed of his godly strenght and height by the eagle (Zeus), infused the rest of his godhood on the sword and was killed by his father. He didn't change races when he became a god. He was given a title. That title was stripped from him soon after.

When Kratos becomes, "the God of War". Its a title. Nothing more. But in every semblance of the phrase as used for the title of the series, Kratos is the "God of War". He is a master of war, the best of warriors. He is the God of War.

He is still the God of War. He is still Kratos, Ghost of Sparta, God of War, the God Killer, etc. And that is what he will always be.

Kratos problem is his guilt. But his guilt isn't about killing the gods. It is an overall guilt of being a really good warrior, a really good killer. He is going to have to accept his past to move past it. Accept that he is, "the God of War".
This is where I don't agree with you. He was all of that. That is a past he doesn't want to repeat. There is no forgetting, but there is redemption. He was a master of war. He was a soldier, a general, a god, a godkiller. He was. That is over. He is still a warrior because he needs to survive and he wants his son to survive, so he is teaching his son what he knows. How to be a skilled fighter, not how to be a killer or someone who wages war where he goes. To you, the title of God of War still fits Kratos. To me, it doesn't make sense anymore and that's where we diverge. That old Kratos fit the criteria. This new one does not. At least not as far as we know. That all could change by the end of the game. I certainly hope not, though. I want the story to evolve, not to become a revenge story anymore.

Oh, and his guilt comes from killing his family. That's why he was plagued by nightmares and wasn't able to forgive himself.
But here is a question for you. Why do you assume they want to change the name? Why do you assume they need to? What if the title fits perfectly for all those involved? Balrog say he didn't want it to be called, "God of War"? You sure there is no underlying reason for the title?
I'm not assuming anything, I simply said that it'd be nice to have a different title to reflect the new direction the series is taking and that it doesn't need to necessarily be called GoW again. And no, that's not what Barlog said.

Last edited:
How about a different subtitle to cover the games when the series moves to a new mythology? I'm quite invested in the GoW main title for this family of games, as illogical as that may seem.

Game still says "Early 2018" I'm guessing anytime between January and April. I just don't understand why they can't give us a solid release date?!

Probably because it can be delayed and they don't want to frustrate the fans if it does.

Game still says "Early 2018" I'm guessing anytime between January and April. I just don't understand why they can't give us a solid release date?!

My guess is that by PlayStation experience we will either have a release date or a confured deylay.

What’s the deal with Sony not giving an official release date? I mean, is it so hard to let fans know when the game is coming out?!

They don't want to go through the risk of delaying a set date and they know that would probably happen. It usually does with these big games.

What’s the deal with Sony not giving an official release date? I mean, is it so hard to let fans know when the game is coming out?!
Go look at the PS4's first 4 years and you'll get your answer. Nearly all their first party titles outside of the ones that came out on launch got delayed. It was bad press everytime that happened

Never played any if this series before but on the recommendation of a few posters here and on other web sites just ordered the remastered version of GoW3

GoW3 has one of the best opening levels of all. That could very well be the climatic end battle in other games.

I encourage you to try the previous games, too. Including the PSP ones. All of them make for an epic journey.

Thanks but I don’t have the previous consoles or a PS+ account to try the old ones. I have caught up with the story through Wiki and YouTube though.

3 is a great game, the story might not hit as hard without playing the others... but actually you may enjoy the core of the gameplay more, having not ran through 4 other similar games before it. GoW1 has the best story, though all of them are good, so that's another bonus, nothing to compare 3 to so it will be more satisfying.

Yeah I am looking forward to playing it, heard a lot about these games over the years and they always sounded right up my alley.

Never owned a console between PS1 and PS4 though so couldn't play them until now.

Yeah I’ve only played 1-3 but I really loved the original trilogy. How are the PSP games and Ascension? I know you don’t really need to play them to get the trilogy but I hear their really fun like the main series.

Last edited:
I would love for this to be a franchise that somehow goes on forever, even if it has to keep reinventing itself.

Yeah I’ve only played 1-3 but I really loved the original trilogy. How are the PSP games and Ascension? I know you don’t really need to play them to get the trilogy but I hear their really fun like the main series.
The stories for the PSP games are great and the gameplay is similar to GoW 1 and 2.

I never played Ascension past the demo. I didn't like the gameplay there.

GoW3 has one of the best opening levels of all. That could very well be the climatic end battle in other games.

I encourage you to try the previous games, too. Including the PSP ones. All of them make for an epic journey.

You were right about the opening level, holy crap that was cinematic. I am going to come back to this level once I am better at the game. I was just mainly button mashing during the combat.

I'm glad you liked. It does cool down a bit after that, though. But it's gonna have other great moments as well.

I'm glad you liked. It does cool down a bit after that, though. But it's gonna have other great moments as well.

Yeah I was on it for a few hours last night. I think I am now just before the fight with Hades. I expected the game to calm down after so wasn't surprised. The first Darksiders had something similar where you are fully powered at the start, but then lose it all and have to get it back.

I thought the controls were a bit clunky, but overall I am enjoying it a lot.

So pumped for this game, it's gonna raise the bar, just like the first one did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"