The Official Golden Compass (Northern Lights) Thread - Pictures, News, Posters...

I have no interest in the DVD if they're not going to include the rest of the ending.

I am extremely pissed off about this so called 'extended cut', NO new footage at all, despite it saying its extended on the cover, this is an absolute joke, are New Line taking the piss or something, i may well write to them about this because it is false advertising.

I am extremely pissed off about this so called 'extended cut', NO new footage at all, despite it saying its extended on the cover, this is an absolute joke, are New Line taking the piss or something, i may well write to them about this because it is false advertising.

My 2-disc set doesn't say "extended cut" anywhere. :huh:

^Are you in England though? Mine says on both the box cover and actual DVD cover, 2 Disc Extended Edition.

Just saw it, loved it. I like it better than the narnia series

^Are you in England though? Mine says on both the box cover and actual DVD cover, 2 Disc Extended Edition.

Nope, U.S... I guess you got hosed.

Well, if they make movies of the other 2 books they will pretty much have to have the scenes with [BLACKOUT] Roger's death, Lord A's shenanigans [/BLACKOUT] early on (They could do it like the way they moved the Shelob scene in the Lord of the Rings), other wise what's Lyra & Will's motivation to [BLACKOUT]go to the Land of the Dead [/BLACKOUT]in Act 3?

Nope, U.S... I guess you got hosed.

Well, if they make movies of the other 2 books they will pretty much have to have the scenes with [BLACKOUT] Roger's death, Lord A's shenanigans [/BLACKOUT] early on (They could do it like the way they moved the Shelob scene in the Lord of the Rings), other wise what's Lyra & Will's motivation to [BLACKOUT]go to the Land of the Dead [/BLACKOUT]in Act 3?

Yep, looks like we got had off, thats a joke, it says EE, then gives a run-time of 108 mins, which, if i'm not mistaken, is shorter than the theatrical run-time.

Didnt notice any scene's missing though.

Anyway, if they do do The Subtle Knife, they better hurry up because Dakota will be shooting up by now. If we dont here anything by December, then IMO its dead.

My theater never got this movie up here and so I got the dvd yesterday and I finally got to see it and I think I would have liked it more had I not read the book first. I was surprised the movie was under 2 hours, had they had an additional 45 min. I think it would have been alot better movie. The movie seemed to have most of the scenes from the book but they were so shortened and condensed that it left alot to be desired. My biggest problem was the ending of the film, first I don't understand why they switched the bears/Bolvanger sequences after having read the book the switching of those sequences in the movie made the ending feel messy to me and I don't see what reason they had for doing that, and then cutting the real ending off didn't help either. In the end it was a good movie that could have been alot better, I hope they release an extended cut but I'm not sure they filmed enough to make it that much better. I hope they do a sequel but I wouldn't mind a new director and script writer.

^Agreed on all points, the movie was just too quick, things seemed to happen out of the blue, it was like they had a list while filming and just ticked things off when they had filmed them, and did they really have to mention ice bears so much?

They were hyping up the bear fight as the big climax to the movie.

I disagree I thought this movie was ok but it wasn't great.

Hmmmm. I wonder how long they are gonna wait on this sequel. Dakota Richards is probably hitting puberty by now. By the way, has anyone heard anything from Weitz since this movie came out? I haven't seen any comment from him at all.

Hmmmm. I wonder how long they are gonna wait on this sequel. Dakota Richards is probably hitting puberty by now. By the way, has anyone heard anything from Weitz since this movie came out? I haven't seen any comment from him at all.

Nope, non at all, if i am being honest i cant see the next one happening, Dakota is will be growing everyday and unless they get to it soon, it wont be happening IMO.

Still pissed off about the so-called extended edition DVD though.

Nope, non at all, if i am being honest i cant see the next one happening, Dakota is will be growing everyday and unless they get to it soon, it wont be happening IMO.

Still pissed off about the so-called extended edition DVD though.

I think they'll have one when its pretty apparent that there won't be a sequel. Then there will be the Extended DVD with the ending footage that was left out for the Subtle Knife.

I heard that this movie was really censored from the book that it was based on. Is this true?

I think they'll have one when its pretty apparent that there won't be a sequel. Then there will be the Extended DVD with the ending footage that was left out for the Subtle Knife.

Probably, but the current DVD shouldnt say "2 Disc Extended Edition" on it when it isnt extended at all.

Surprised we haven't heard about anything Chris Weitz is doing for the last 6 months.

I heard that this movie was really censored from the book that it was based on. Is this true?

There were some fairly gruesome moments in the book that didn't make it onscreen.
[BLACKOUT]Iorek Byrneson eating his opponent's heart after the polar bear fight[/BLACKOUT] comes to mind.

^That was the main problem with this movie, it catered FAR too much to kids, when the book isnt entirely kiddy at all.

Movie is up to over $372 million WW according Boxofficemojo.com now.

I can't say I'm shocked. But maybe now they can forgo the typical blockbuster movie route, and try something like a BBC/HBO miniseries for it. You could get everything in and in the past they have been very well done. The Titus Groan miniseries stands as one of my all time favourite fantasy stories to appear on screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"