First Avenger The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

I must be the only one who hates the shield-shooting gag. It's just incredibly irresponsible and it's clearly an attempt to show that this 1940's woman is 'strong' (strong meaning unnecessarily aggressive)

I'm not to fond of it, but Atwell can get it until the end of time, and that's literally all that matters.

Damn, this girl is fine. I'm shocked that the Amy Adams/Lois Lane thread has gone though like, 1,000 pages in a week and this one hasn't even made it to three. Maybe it's just because Peggy Carter isn't as popular or iconic of a character. I'm not all that familiar with Atwell's work, but she's lovely and I'm really looking forward to seeing her in the movie.
Bingo. I think another part of it is knowing that the role is likely a one-off, so we don't even want to get too attached to the character.

But I have seen some of her work, and I think she's a wonderful actress. So regardless of how short a time she's a part of this universe, I look forward to her portrayal.

Sharon is the more popular of them. Mostly because she killed Steve.

Sharon is the more popular of them. Mostly because she killed Steve.
Uh wow, this is brand new information to me. I just thought she was more popular because she exists in the present and is a more recurring friend/love interest for Steve.

Well yeah, that was a big part of it too. But her shooting Steve kind of made her huge.

She was brainwashed by Dr. Fatous or whatever his name is.

I think this thread isn't active because Carter isn't a huge part of the Captain America Mythos like say Lois Lane or Mary Jane/Gwen Stacy are to the Superman and Spiderman Mythos. I mean it's not just Carter, Carol Ferris' thread isn't that active and neither was Pepper Potts'. Sure Catwoman's is but that's because she's Catwoman.

must have made a deal with the devil to remember that name

JAK®;19999219 said:
I must be the only one who hates the shield-shooting gag. It's just incredibly irresponsible and it's clearly an attempt to show that this 1940's woman is 'strong' (strong meaning unnecessarily aggressive)

I agree. The idea of the woman being saved by a man has become extinct. Now every woman has to be strong in every movie...

JAK®;20002607 said:
That's not what I meant.

I think thats exactly what you meant. When will they stop trying to be us and just be proud to be women...be proud of there abilities rather then trying to adopt a mutated version of a man...

JAK®;19999219 said:
I didn't care for it either at first until the description of the footage puts it in proper context.

I think thats exactly what you meant. When will they stop trying to be us and just be proud to be women...be proud of there abilities rather then trying to adopt a mutated version of a man...
I agree that what makes a woman 'strong' isn't how similar to a man she can be, but my overall point is that in an attempt to make these women strong characters, they go overboard and just make them unnecessarily aggressive and in this case irresponsible.

I don't see a problem with the shield shooting scene. I especially don't have a problem with an empowered woman in a comic book film, we need more of those not less.

However I can kind of see what you mean in the sense that the action heroes of today have moved past the so called Reagan action heroes (white, hypermasculine men who despiced romance, weakness and planning like Rambo, Rockey etc). I think the modern action hero/heroine has to be tough and strong but also compassionate and have a great story. For example: imagine removing the Doctor Erskine scene because "Captain America is not meant to be sad"!

Shooting a gun at a shield to demonstrate its effectiveness in a very dramatic, no nonsense and slightly comedic way seems to me more a indication of her personality, than a woman trying to be a man.

Unless you're trying to imply that pulling a trigger, being dramatic, comedic and no nonsense (all in one) is a man thing?

Different strokes for different folks I guess - To me, that scene was great. Succeeded in demonstrating so many things at once.

I didn't care for it either at first until the description of the footage puts it in proper context.

This.

When you look at it in context it makes much more sense.

I don't see a problem with the shield shooting scene. I especially don't have a problem with an empowered woman in a comic book film, we need more of those not less.
There isn't a problem with it, I never said there was a problem with it, but the things they make these characters do to show how 'empowered' they are are stupid.

I also don't see how 'context' changes the stupidity of this particular scene. She's till shooting at someone who isn't prepared (even if he is a super soldier) in a small room. It's completely irresponsible.

Does anyone know if Atwell signed on for The Avengers? Will she be playing Sharon Carter or will they get a new actress? As much as I like Atwell, I think they should get a new actress to play Sharon Carter. Atwell can return as an old Peggy Carter (if she's still alive).

JAK®;20009739 said:
There isn't a problem with it, I never said there was a problem with it, but the things they make these characters do to show how 'empowered' they are are stupid.

I also don't see how 'context' changes the stupidity of this particular scene. She's till shooting at someone who isn't prepared (even if he is a super soldier) in a small room. It's completely irresponsible.
It's still a stylized comic book movie in the end, Jak. I'm sure you can find scenes in the final movie where one could say Cap acts "irresponsibly"

I think Hayley Atwell looks beautiful, and like someone said her body is voluptuous and has that classic figure that isn't as waffle-thin as the actresses today. I think she has good chemistry with Evans in the trailer and I hope it will create a good spark between the two leads, and give the movie its emotional core that is needed in the midst of all those special effects and stuntwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"