The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Discussion in 'Captain America: The First Avenger' started by Golgo-13, Aug 15, 2010.

1. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

I shoot my 45 one handed all the time. And I believe she's using a 9mm, and a heavy military issued 9mm, easy to shoot one handed. ... I'll have to go back and look at the gun closer though. Either way, that doesn't bother me at all.

2. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

even when i was a kid they taught us how to shoot one handed just in case

3. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

If it's a vibranium shield(and she knows this) then there ain't gonna be ricochet's. The bullets would simply lose all their momentum and drop to the ground. She is definitely shooting at the shield rather than Steve. Seems very much like what she's doing is telling Steve and the other officer there "Hey, I know this is 1943 and I'm a woman and this is the military and all that but I will not be patronized" in a manner that doesn't require much obvious dialogue for them to get the point.

4. peterparker0077

lol, it's silly to talk about physics in comic movies, but it's funny to think about... if this is the case about the bullets not ricocheting... then people wouldn't bounced off or be knocked back when they're bashed by the shield. They would just loose their momentum and fall down. :woot:

5. kedrell

Well when he hits someone with the shield I think it's the shield's own momentum that sends them boucing off of it. And a human body reacts differently than a small piece of metal. Maybe it doesn't lose ALL momentum but the shield absorbs like 99.99% of it so that when the bullets DO bounce off, they're not traveling at any speed that would be potentially lethal.

And there at least needs to be some semblance of reality in dealing with the laws of physics and such in a superhero movie. It helps the audience let go and take the film as it is when the filmmakers are careful to take into account. Completely disregarding the laws of physics in a superhero movie is the domain of such crappy films as the Joel Schumaker Batman movies and the last 2 of the old Superman movies(like Supes cape flapping in space as if their's an atmosphere up there).

Sure, these ARE fantasy superhero films but that's no excuse for being a lazy filmmaker.

6. peterparker0077

Physics, if the shield absorbs momentum, or 99% of momentum, bodies would not bounce off, even if the shield was moving itself, but the bodies would stick to the shield, then fall. It would just look really funny, lol.

7. kedrell

I would think the effect would be more noticable the more energy an object that collided with it had. People hitting it have far less kinetic energy than a bullet does, proportionately speaking. And again, this is pseudo science. It doesn't have to actually work so long as the explaination is sufficient to get the audience to stop questioning it and just go with it. 99.999% of the people watching these movies WILL NOT be scientists, engineers or such that would easily see through the pseudo science.

8. Carlo Comicus

Carlo Comicus Well-Known Member

:hrt::hrt:

9. Eddie Dean

Eddie Dean Mr. Jackpots

10. WildcatNC

WildcatNC I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Mm, that body. :hrt::hrt::hrt:

11. Saitou Hajime

Saitou Hajime Well-Known Member

Wee, a tsundere female lead. I've never seen that before.

12. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

I can see Chris Evan's jaw dropped in that scene. Heck, I would've too. :wow:

13. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

The great thing about this movie is that we instantly have a female lead that's a strong character and not just a love interest. She will be active on whatever Cap's mission is in the movie. Jane Foster and Carol Ferris in their respective movies can only be so interesting based on what their given. But in this we can easily see from the trailer that Carter can kick Rogers (pre-transformation) a** if she wanted to.

14. JAK®

JAK® Upstart

That's the only thing I dislike about Jane Foster's character in Thor. Changing her from a nurse into a scientist worked for the films storyline, but as a character it made her weaker. Nurses need a lot of courage for what they do. In Avengers: EMH, that's what attracts Thor to her.

15. ultimatefan

ultimatefan The Batman must come back

I like Avengers EMH, where Jane´s a paramedic, that´s a pretty heroic job.

I love it that Hayley not only has a more active role, but she also doesn´t look or sound too girly for her occupation. She doesn´t make you roll eyes like geneticist Jessica Alba, Pulitzer Prize winner and mom Kate Bosworth or DA Katie Holmes.

16. peterparker0077

Yeah, my girlfriend and I talked about this after watching the movie, and we both watch EMH ... I believe in the originial comics she was also a nurse/paramedic type, right?

We were thinking in the film, have her as a paramedic, and her father's friend as the scientist wouldn't of really changed the story all that much, and would of made the role of Jane much better overall. The way to tie her father's friend to be so close to Jane, is that he would have some medical issue and Jane had to keep watch over him when she wasn't working.

17. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

My girlfriend is going to love this movie especially because of Hayley. She is definitely looking like the best lead actress in a Marvel film yet.

18. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

I do hope if there's a sequel for Cap, that Atwell can return as a love interesting. Probably as the granddaughter of Peggy Carter or something, which I think would work.

19. MiniBond

MiniBond Nobody does it better....

[​IMG]

20. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

I know that in the comics Cap falls for Sharon Carter because of how remarkably similar she is to her Aunt Peggy. But she can't look and be exactly the same could she. If Atwell does play both characters she has to have some distinguishing trait that separates them. I'm not familiar with Cap too much so they're probably is and I just don't know it.

21. Scarlettess

Scarlettess and a 1..2..3..4

[YT][/YT]
    [​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

These are two completely different looks, so in this senario if we have Atwell looking like she is in the left pic, then yes this could possibly work. I'm sure they'd find a way round any other problems, and if they need to, well you've seen what they've done with skinny Steve. :oldrazz:

22. Punisher_MAX

Punisher_MAX Ol' Painless

isnt Sharon blonde?

23. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

I'm sure having them look different enough would be the easier part especially if they are in different time periods. I was referring more to their character. I don't know the details of Peggy Carter but I was wondering is there something specific that separates her from Sharon?

24. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

heh yeah but then, Sue Storm is too. lol

25. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Peggy looks like she will be my favourite thing in this movie.