The Official Hype Fitness Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang, I hated to see all the old stuff go, but I guess it was time. I have a few gems saved on my computer and will repost them here when I get home.

*wipes tear*

TBH, people weren't going back and reading it anyway. I don't mind, but the same questions asked on the last page of the old thread can be found on the first page too.

TBH, people weren't going back and reading it anyway. I don't mind, but the same questions asked on the last page of the old thread can be found on the first page too.

This is true. But I liked having my few links within the thread. But, as I said, I will re-post them in this one, so that aspect will be good to go (pullups/protein/HIIT/deck of cards).

You really have to have the genetics for that too and most people don't. I've seen quite a few people quit exercising because they couldn't get that Ms. Fitness/Arnold Classic look. That is sad because exercise has many more benefits than appearance.

I stopped weight lifting after doing it for a 2-4 times a week for a year or so without noticing much difference. Was never looking to get really big though. Instead turned to mostly just running, which I like a lot more. Actually working on getting back to a normal schedule again, took it easy the past 2-3 weeks after running my second marathon. Made two news goals for now through the end of the year, log 1,000 miles for the year (at 933 right now) and at swimming into the mix, try to get in the pool at least once maybe twice a week. Want to get into the habit of swimming over the winter to get in shape to train for a triathlon this spring or summer.

Pullup Program info (as seen in old fitness thread, with a few add ons):
In the meantime, one of the BEST programs for improving pullups is "grease the groove"
Basically its like this. Throughout the day, you do lower rep sets (every hour if possible).

Example: if you can do 5 good reps, you would do 1 set of 3-4 every hour for like 5 days. Now, things happen and you may get your reps at 8, 9, 10am and then nothing til 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and then 7pm, 8pm. Thats fine. Just realize it only takes a few seconds to get 3-4 reps and you can do them on anything that you can hang from-tree branch, scaffolding, pullup bar, etc etc. Try to get at least 10 sets a day.

Anyways, do this for 5 days then rest on day 6 and test yourself on day 7.
Repeat this for 2-3 weeks. Dont do any other back exercise durig that time.

I can attest to GTG working and so ca JStorm.
It took me from 12 to 20 and took him from 5 to 10.

Here is another program that is supposed to be very good but I have no personal experience with it. It is scaled so anyone at any level (even if you cant get a single pullup) can complete it:

http://twentypullups.com/

Other programs:
Recon Ron: (you must be able to do 6 pullups before starting)
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28822

Armstrong Pullup program:
http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong Pullup Program.htm

Lastly, if you only want to work pullups 2-3 times a week, then do ladders.
do 1 rep, rest, 2 reps, rest...up to almost your max...then come back down the ladder...3 reps, rest, 2 reps, rest, 1 rep.

Vary your grip positions for some new challenges as well.
Remember, with pullups, your palms face away from you.
Go wide, narrow, chinups, commando, etc

Total Volume is key to adding reps.

Last edited:
HIIT explained (originally posted in first fitness thread)

90 minutes!?!? Wow. Yeah you would greatly benefit from doing the HIIT technique on the bike....talk about time management and efficiency.

There are a ton of articles out there about the advantages of interval training, particularly high intensity interval training (HIIT) over traditional cardio (what you are currently doing). I will post links to a few, but most of them say the same thing anyways.

The key to HIIT is to give an all out effort during the work period. If you are running, you need to run as if you are being chased by 10 guys with weapons who want to kill you. It isnt an 80% effort or a 90% effort, it is a your life depends on it 100% effort. Because of this true HIIT is not possible on a treadmill. It is best done on a bike, running on the road or an open field or track or a rowing machine.

You can try out different interval periods, but the first few times you only need to do it for a total of 10-15 minutes. You should be completely wasted after that short amount of time.

One example:
warm up w/ a 5 minute jog or 5 minute easy pace on the bike.

Then go all out, balls to the wall for 30 seconds.
Immediately upon finishing the 30 seconds, drop it down to an easy jog (or even walking pace) for 60 seconds.
Do this 8 times and you are done. All said and done thats a 5 minute warm up and 12 minutes of work for a total of 17 minutes. MUCH more time efficient and actually MUCH more effective than the 60-90 minutes of boring (imo) cardio that you are used to.

Again, the formula I listed is not an exact science. You want to start with 20 seconds of work and 1 minute of active rest, perfectly fine.

Remember, the key is in the effort that you push yourself during the short work periods. Regular intervals are good too, just dont confuse them with HIIT. You could try a few of those to experiment before jumping into HIIT

A regular type interval would be an easy jog to start and then 30 seconds of hard effort (80%), then back down to a jog/walk pace. The difference is you can keep repeating this much longer than you can the HIIT intervals.

Articles:
Advantages
http://www.marcellegros.com/tips-to-...here-it-hurts/

http://gottasport.com/cardio/63/adva...-training.html

What is and what is not HIIT:
http://ezinearticles.com/?To-HIIT-Or...IT?&id=2202401

why it is better for fat loss:
http://ezinearticles.com/?HIIT-It-To...-Fat&id=425070

good overall article w/ links to HIIT programs at bottom:
http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

others:
http://www.davedraper.com/hiit-cardio-training.html

http://www.articlealley.com/article_876231_23.html

http://searchwarp.com/swa467986-Do-Y...-With-Hiit.htm

You can find a million more like this, but you get the point.
Harder effort, less time, better results.

Last edited:
DECK OF CARDS WORKOUT (taken from original fitness thread)

Another great workout you can do anytime is the deck of cards.
All it requires is....duh....a deck of freaking cards!

Shuffle them up really well and assign an exercise to the either by suit (4 exercises) or by color (2 exercises).
Easiest ones to do by color are pushups (red) and squats (black).

One of the ways that I like to do it are by suit are pushups (diamonds), situps (or any core exercise-hearts), 1 arm row w/ dumbbell (clubs) and squats (spades). This obviously hits the whole body and gives a taste of cardio if you do it right.

Use the number on the card to determine the amount of reps.
If its a 3 of diamonds, you do 3 pushups. If its a 10 of diamonds, do 10 pushups. SIMPLE.

Obviously you can vary the pushups as you desire as well. Make all even ones wide grip and all odd ones close grip, or some other variation of your choosing.

You can assign face cards different ways if you desire. Sometimes I make all face cards 10s and sometimes I go up the ladder with jacks as 11s, queens as 12s and kings as 13s.

Go through the deck as fast as possible. Once you complete your reps, you should IMMEDIATELY be flipping the next card.

Things get interesting when you get a bunch of face cards of the same suit 4-5 times in a row....especially at the end of the workout.

Aces can be whatever you determine, you can make them 1 rep of the suited or colored exercise or 10, or 11....or you can make aces a special exercise like burpees or pullups.

Variety is what makes this workout fun and simplicity is what makes it easy. Just flip a card and do it!

Last notes: Jokers. I usually take them out and stick with 52 cards. HOWEVER, it is really fun to leave them in and make them a 100 yard sprint or a rope climb or some other grueling, but fast, task..maybe 100 jumping jacks.
If you have never done this before, you may want to start with half of a deck.
Possibilities for the exercises are endless, obviously bodyweight exercises are the simplest and free, so you may want to stick with those starting out.

Exercise options:
Pushups (all varieties-divebomber, wide grip, close grip, 1 leg, etc etc etc)
Pullups
Burpees
Mountain Climbers
Jumping Jacks
Situps (all varieties-crunches, flutter kicks, etc etc)
1 arm dumbbell/kettlebell row
body row (need something to do these from)
squat thrusts
squats
lunges
box jumps or other jumping movements-split/lunge jumps, squat jumps, tuck jumps
various sandbag moves

The list is almost endless...but thats the way this post is looking now as well. If you want other options, just ask.

Last edited:
Here is a decent typical split for anyone wanting to do some weight training/bodybuilding. Not an end all be all, just a few of the basic exercises split up for a beginner's routine (or a change of pace for some of you already lifting). Should be a decent routine that doesnt take too much time in the gym. Obviously there are a lot of things that can be added or substituted, this is ONLY AN EXAMPLE of a basic 4 day split. You can do cardio and/or core work on the other days or throw it in on top of one of these days.

rest 60 seconds between sets, 2 min between exercises.

Monday-Back/Bis
Deadlifts- 3x5-8
Pullups/Chinups 3x8
One arm Dumbbell Rows 3x8-10 or Bent over rows 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x10 (optional)
BB Curls 3x8-10
DB Hammer Curls 3x10 or preacher curls 3x 10

Tuesday-Chest/Tris
Bench Press 3x5-8
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3x5-8
Dips 3x8
Flys 3x10
Skullcrushers 3x8-10
Tricep Rope Pushdowns 3x12

Thursday- Legs
Squats 3x5-8
Leg Press 3x8-10
SLDL 3x8 or Lunges 3x8 each leg
Calf Raises 3x12-15 (seated or standing-mix it up)

Friday-Shoulders
Military Press 3x5-8 or Alt. Dumbbell Overhead press 3x8
Lateral Raises 3x10/Front raises 3x10
Upright Rows 3x10
Shrugs 3x8

^A comment on work out splits for new people. You can mix up your workout entirely; from what muscle groups you do, to how many days a week yo go. Just remember to give yourself enough time to rest and NEVER try to "make up" for a missed workout. This means no 2 hour long work out sessions where you combine back/biceps with your missed leg/shoulders day. Chalk the missed day up to a rest day.

Quick question for you Spoons. I went to a GNC today and one of the sale's reps gave me a free sample of Anabolic Pump. I have zero knowledge about the product so naturally, Im apprehensive about taking it. Should I try it?

^A comment on work out splits for new people. You can mix up your workout entirely; from what muscle groups you do, to how many days a week yo go. Just remember to give yourself enough time to rest and NEVER try to "make up" for a missed workout. This means no 2 hour long work out sessions where you combine back/biceps with your missed leg/shoulders day. Chalk the missed day up to a rest day.
Where was this advice a month ago? I made the mistake of combining workouts on the same day, and I nearly died of exhaustion. Needless to say, I decided to never do that again.

Quick question for you Spoons. I went to a GNC today and one of the sale's reps gave me a free sample of Anabolic Pump. I have zero knowledge about the product so naturally, Im apprehensive about taking it. Should I try it?

Is it this: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3097950&kwCatId=

Even if it isn't that specific supplement, all "pump" supps are just to give you some pre-workout intensity. They're usually caffeine, nitric oxide, creatine, and some amino acids. It's hardly necessary for your goals, some people dislike them, some people are "immune" to them. I personally enjoy a few brands of pump supplements but they're not too be used to often or else the effects will diminish.

Where was this advice a month ago? I made the mistake of combining workouts on the same day, and I nearly died of exhaustion. Needless to say, I decided to never do that again.

Yeah, you never wanna do a full workout for 2 main/big muscle groups in the same workout. Some people do full body workouts 2-3x a week(I don't) but they never do as many diff exercises as if they'd given the individual muscle it's own day.

In that case, it's probably best if I avoid it. Thanks anyway.

I was finally able to join an affordable gym tonight. So excited to go workout tomorrow!

I could have paid $10 a month no contract, but the extra fees sucked. So I just signed up for a year contract and only pay $20 a month but get lots of extra goodies, including unlimited guest passes.

i was :(

i was on like pg 3 starting to finally read it. at least i've bookmarked it and can keep up with this one now

i went to the gym for the first time in a long time tonight :up:

hit the bike for a while, did some curls and threw the medicine ball with a buddy for a bit. then i play a lot of basketball, even played a game of 2 on 2 (i was the only chick, but we won) and i felt good to be out there again

i've made myself a personal goal of doing 20 pushups (minimum) a day for the whole month of November. 4 days in and i've done it every day, some days even more.

i'd really like to try and lose 10 lbs before the year ends but i work so much and my hours change so much that if i'm going to workout, its most likely going to have to be at home, so if anyone can recommend some good stuff to do around the house, i'm all ears.

i was :(

i was on like pg 3 starting to finally read it. at least i've bookmarked it and can keep up with this one now

i dont remember any posts from you in the old thread, so welcome.

I could have paid $10 a month no contract, but the extra fees sucked. So I just signed up for a year contract and only pay $20 a month but get lots of extra goodies, including unlimited guest passes.
My 24-hr Fitness costs $25/month, but my roommate used to pay more going to the older one down the street. :oldrazz: The one I went to just opened so they had a promotion.

i'd really like to try and lose 10 lbs before the year ends but i work so much and my hours change so much that if i'm going to workout, its most likely going to have to be at home, so if anyone can recommend some good stuff to do around the house, i'm all ears.
Vacuum, especially if you have a heavy vacuum you have to lug up and down the stairs. Your neighbors might not appreciate a late-night vacuuming though. :funny:

If you can, pack your own lunch to work. Saves a lot of money plus you won't be eating a ton of junk.

Working out at home regularly can be a challenge without equipment or a variety of dumbbells. It's a lot of why I'm not in as good of shape as I used to be...so hard to motivate myself when it's at home without many resources. That being said, there ARE exercises you can do without weights.

I'd recommend getting a large exercise ball. It can be used for balanced squats, abs, hamstrings, lower back, and light arm exercises.

By using the edge of a low stable surface such as a chair or FIRM couch, you can work your triceps by doing dips. Example:

[YT]BqmurlT5Uyk[/YT]

Push-ups are another obvious one. For squats, you can do a variety of them. Jumping squats burn a LOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"