The Official Hype Fitness Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow i'm really tired, i read that as kegs not kg's...

hopefully the weather is good when i get off at work, maybe i can do a walk or a jog today

i've never seen a planet fitness before. i've seen one or two gold's gyms though.

does anyone have anything to say about kettlebells? i've been hearing about them more and more and i'm wondering how effective they are, etc.

i've lost 36lbs so far this year and i'm so much healthier than i was this time a year ago (ironic considering i've had 2 surgeries this yr already).

I've been working with them in physical therapy this year. My therapists said they prefer them over regular dumbells (for some exercises) because they improve your grip and overall balance. I haven't asked them a lot of questions but I'll try to remember the next time I see one of them.

A cousin of mine does kettlebells a lot and he told me about it last night so ill ask him some stuff about it too. He said there's a new gym opening up in the next city over and they have a trainer who specializes in the russian kettlebell system or whatever its called. The first class is free so I might go check it out sometime when they open.

I decided to look up threads on Planet Fitness at bodybuilding.com. Those people hate Planet Fitness. The dumbbells only go up to 80lbs; deadlifting is banned; they're buying up all the Gold's Gyms. Granted, none of those things would affect me (heaviest dumbbells I've used so far are 70lbs, and I'm too afraid to deadlift unless I can get a good spotter), but holy spicoli.

Why do you need a spotter to deadlift?

There are other reasons too. They have a once a month pizza party (kind of stupif/weird), for example. And a "lunk alarm"...if you grunt when you lift...you get kicked out.
see here:
http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=59518

If you google "Planet Fitness complaints" you will also see legit stuff like people cancelling memberships and still being charged monthly, stuff like that.

But yeah, most people hate PF bc of the lunk alarm, the rules against certain exercises, the low weight dumbbells (heck, even I use up to 100s and might use more, but I work out at home).

does anyone have anything to say about kettlebells? i've been hearing about them more and more and i'm wondering how effective they are, etc.

I have and use kettlebells. They are great, but keep in mind they aren't something really used to "shape" your body per se.
Obviously they are resistance and you can use them and a good diet and have good results. But, they are athletic-move driven in their nature, the basic kettlebell moves (the major ones like the swing, snatch, etc) are similar to Olympic lifts, not bodybuilding work. You can use them for some of those moves, like 1 arm rows, curls, etc...but that isn't where their secret lies.

If you have specific questions, let me know. Golgo-13 is a big proponent of them as well, maybe he will chime in.

Comicchick, if you dont have all the equipment and stuff to work out that's no big deal. I'm a big proponent of body weight exersizes. You don't need equipment or anything, just a little floor space. I come from karate so we don't use equipment and a lot of out exorsizes are based upon bodyweight and it's been done that way for thousands of years and works. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Charles Atlas was selling books on a similar topic! Anyways, I got into his stuff and from there I was all about Bodyweight, Dynamic Tension and Isometrics.

A couple good resources: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly4.htm http://bodyweightculture.com/ http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html http://www.rosstraining.com/infiniteintensity.html

Oh, and welcome to our kingdom of madness here.

Thanks ChickenScratch :)

Ill check out those links today when I get off work.

On a side note, wow, my hip is a bit sore. Mustve been the most uncomfortable bike seat I've ever sat on.

I 2nd anything and everything from Ross Enamait. I have ALL of his materials (even the stuff that is now out of print) and am a moderator over at his forums.
Absolutely the BEST training materials I have ever read (and I have read plenty). I agree that bodyweight exercises are great for many goals and obviously they require no equipment (maybe a bar here and there for pullups and such). I will say that I got absolutely SICK of bodyweight stuff in the academy, but still use them now.
He is also very very professional and friendly and will answer questions directly.

just be sure to do your burpees!

Last edited:
Why do you need a spotter to deadlift?
So I don't throw out my back. I learned from my foray into the world of squats last week that no matter how many times I read on good form and watch instructional videos on Youtube, there's a good chance I'll still screw up.

Then again, that guy who said I was doing squats wrong at the gym last week said I wasn't supposed to go below parallel, so god only knows.

There are other reasons too. They have a once a month pizza party (kind of stupif/weird), for example. And a "lunk alarm"...if you grunt when you lift...you get kicked out.
see here:

If you google "Planet Fitness complaints" you will also see legit stuff like people cancelling memberships and still being charged monthly, stuff like that.

But yeah, most people hate PF bc of the lunk alarm, the rules against certain exercises, the low weight dumbbells (heck, even I use up to 100s and might use more, but I work out at home).
Grunting can be a little annoying (well, screaming moreso), but how do you kick someone out of the gym for that? And a pizza party? Are they serious?

Oh, and I looked at the etiquette sign in the video.
"No Jeans, workboots, sandals" -- okay, that's fine
"No doorags, skullcaps, bandanas" -- Wait, what?
"No gallon water jugs" -- Why?
"No gym bags on gym floor" -- What the eff?! What if I need to carry a towel, shake bottle, and a jump rope?
"No cursing" -- **** you

That's a lot of rules for a "judgement free zone."

I have and use kettlebells. They are great, but keep in mind they aren't something really used to "shape" your body per se.
Obviously they are resistance and you can use them and a good diet and have good results. But, they are athletic-move driven in their nature, the basic kettlebell moves (the major ones like the swing, snatch, etc) are similar to Olympic lifts, not bodybuilding work. You can use them for some of those moves, like 1 arm rows, curls, etc...but that isn't where their secret lies.

If you have specific questions, let me know. Golgo-13 is a big proponent of them as well, maybe he will chime in.

Thanks

I don't really want to 'bodybuild' but I like the idea of them being good for athletics, grip, balance. I'd like to tone up (while dropping a few lbs) and my main area I'd like to target is my arms, shoulders and upper chest. The females in my family as they get older suffer from flabby arms, saggy boobs and some have poor posture or seem to hunch over in their shoulders. I want to try to prevent that as long as I can lol

see here:

The one that I joined doesn't have the pizza party or the "lunk alarm" rule :up: Hopefully I won't have a problem if I ever have to cancel. For now, it's an affordable, close gym...the ONLY possible one for me to have joined. I took what I could get.

Grunting can be a little annoying (well, screaming moreso), but how do you kick someone out of the gym for that? And a pizza party? Are they serious?

"No gym bags on gym floor" -- What the eff?! What if I need to carry a towel, shake bottle, and a jump rope?
"No cursing" -- **** you

Weird. The one I joined gave me no such rules list, and the website doesn't have it either. I can't watch that vid at work, is it actually a legitimate, universal one for PF? Sounds fishy to me when I saw/heard NOTHING about any of this stuff from the actual gym.

Last edited:
So I don't throw out my back. I learned from my foray into the world of squats last week that no matter how many times I read on good form and watch instructional videos on Youtube, there's a good chance I'll still screw up.

Then again, that guy who said I was doing squats wrong at the gym last week said I wasn't supposed to go below parallel, so god only knows.

"No cursing" -- **** you

I think you are missing my point on the deadlift spot. How would someone spot that exercise? :huh: I can't imagine. If you dont lift it correctly...how would someone standing there be able to prevent you from hurting yourself? You would just drop the weight.
I agree the deadlift could get you hurt if your form is bad...which is why the tutorials are a good start, but just start light and maybe have someone knowledgeable (trainer) watch you and give you a quick critique.

And as far as the rules...I guess you can see the hypocrisy. They are judgement free, except when it comes to typical bodybuilder and powerlifter activities/habits/attire.

Thanks

I don't really want to 'bodybuild' but I like the idea of them being good for athletics, grip, balance. I'd like to tone up (while dropping a few lbs) and my main area I'd like to target is my arms, shoulders and upper chest. The females in my family as they get older suffer from flabby arms, saggy boobs and some have poor posture or seem to hunch over in their shoulders. I want to try to prevent that as long as I can lol

Well, keep in mind that you cant spot reduce (arms, shoulders, etc). But you may really enjoy kettlebells and they could help you achieve your goals. Go try that class out and see what you think and report back to let us know how it was. Just remember to have a complete program..work your body head to toe, do some cardio and keep the diet clean.

The good part of kettlebells is-you can buy one or two, learn the moves and then you have your entire gym right there in your living room. I have a lot of kettlebell DVDs that are great-some with flow drills (doing several kbell exercises in a row for a cardio/conditioning aspect) and some with instructionals on the moves. But you can find plenty of that on youtube as well.

The one that I joined doesn't have the pizza party or the "lunk alarm" rule :up: Hopefully I won't have a problem if I ever have to cancel. For now, it's an affordable, close gym...the ONLY possible one for me to have joined. I took what I could get.

Glad it is working for you. If you aren't having a problem, then its not a problem. :cwink:

Weird. The one I joined gave me no such rules list, and the website doesn't have it either. I can't watch that vid at work, is it actually a legitimate, universal one for PF? Sounds fishy to me when I saw/heard NOTHING about any of this stuff from the actual gym.

The video is from a news story. It is legit, I have seen it on several news sites. I dont know if you can access youtube from work, but here is the same news story

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQ6OrO1f610&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQ6OrO1f610&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

If you just do a news search, you will see this same story (and others just like it). The lunk alarm and rule list is real.

I love how the guy at the end of the video is doing behind the neck military presses :hehe:

The video is from a news story. It is legit, I have seen it on several news sites. I dont know if you can access youtube from work, but here is the same news story

If you just do a news search, you will see this same story (and others just like it). The lunk alarm and rule list is real.

Can't access it, but I"ll take your word for it. Super lame :csad: But at this point, I just need SOMEWHERE to work out. I guess if I end up having problems I can just cancel or go somewhere else after a year.

Thanks

Maybe you can start trying pullups like me. :yay: mrvlknight21, where are your tips for doing my first pullup? :oldrazz:

Unfortunately, muscle can kinda be flabby too, if they're not tensing them at the moment. Most of my upper arm mass is muscle (even if I try to eat more, I just don't gain there) and if I shake them, they flop around moreso than usual. :funny: And boob sag is hereditary since it has to do with your skin elasticity, but doing stuff like chest presses will build up the muscle underneath so they won't look so saggy. And of course good posture has everything to do with building up the muscles to keep your back straight. Which is sorta weird that my sister can't seem to keep her upper back straight for the life of her, because she's the most active of any of us. Maybe it's some bone structure thing. I guess she also doesn't train to build up that area.

I think you are missing my point on the deadlift spot. How would someone spot that exercise? :huh: I can't imagine. If you dont lift it correctly...how would someone standing there be able to prevent you from hurting yourself? You would just drop the weight.
I agree the deadlift could get you hurt if your form is bad...which is why the tutorials are a good start, but just start light and maybe have someone knowledgeable (trainer) watch you and give you a quick critique.
Right. Unless your spotter is like a ballet instructor and barks critiques while you're doing it. I don't really see how a deadlift spotter can do the same thing as a bench press spotter.

I 2nd anything and everything from Ross Enamait. I have ALL of his materials (even the stuff that is now out of print) and am a moderator over at his forums.
Absolutely the BEST training materials I have ever read (and I have read plenty). I agree that bodyweight exercises are great for many goals and obviously they require no equipment (maybe a bar here and there for pullups and such). I will say that I got absolutely SICK of bodyweight stuff in the academy, but still use them now.
He is also very very professional and friendly and will answer questions directly.

just be sure to do your burpees!

I understand you getting bored with them man. It's just that all my heroes (who tend to be martial artists, or superheros without powers) tend to work out this way. bad place, when Ian Fleming writes about Bond waking up and going straight into his calisthenics, I love that stuff. Besides, being in karate, it's the nature of the beast, and there's always more stuff to learn of improve upon. There's nothing like 100 front kicks from horse stance on each leg!

Does anyone know if there are benefits to eating a lean piece of pork every now and then? I know it has protein, but I never really hear it mentioned along the likes of beef and chicken for that purpose. I took that to mean it wasn't very healthy.

When cooking Barilla pasta, how far can you cook the pasta past Al Dente before it possibly becomes bad for you?

mrvlknight21, where are your tips for doing my first pullup? :oldrazz:

First, call me Devil. You have me on one of my favorite subjects....PULLUPS!!!!

Now, as far as getting that first pullup, I will give a few tips/exercises to follow.

One thing that you can do just about anywhere/anytime is a negative. Simply get your head up and over the bar/tree branch/whatever by any means (jumping, using a chair, etc) and then lower yourself as slowly as possible.

Negatives with a chair or bench:
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Opr72q6NKTc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Opr72q6NKTc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

You can also do assisted pullups in various forms. Using a set of bands, wrapping it over the bar and under your foot/leg is a good way, or if you dont have a resistance band, you can use a bench/chair and put it out in front of you, placing one or both feet in it. The further away the chair, the less resistance you are using. If you have a partner, they can assist by lifiting your feet/legs behind you to help you get up.

Band assisted:
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLkFKm4vGuk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLkFKm4vGuk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Using a chair to assist at the 1:00 mark (she is doing chinups, but you get the idea).

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aBPt7pmwOHE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aBPt7pmwOHE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Partner assisted (on left):
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6uOZwJdZu_s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6uOZwJdZu_s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Another similar to the above is the rack chin. With the rack chin, you can lay a weight across your legs to add some more resistance. See this video:

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeUnme7_mlg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeUnme7_mlg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Body rows are another exercise that can be helpful in gaining strength (and feeling a move that is similar) necessary to get a pullup.

Body row at a gym:
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GHuSoRgtEss&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GHuSoRgtEss&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Body row using a picnic table at home (or desk). Be sure to do them with palms facing you also.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E_1onVeY7k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E_1onVeY7k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Getting that first pullup will require a lot of volume. So, if getting full, unassisted pullups is your goal, dont do these exercises above just once a week and expect much progress.
You should do them often to let your body get adjusted to this move. I dont mean set after set on each one. But if you decide to do negatives as your training plan, then try to get in a few throughout the day for a few days in a row. Then rest 1 or maybe 2 days and test yourself to see if you can get a full pullup yet.

I work with a girl who came to me with this same problem/goal and she bought the Iron Gym (so she could do the negatives often at home) and followed these same instructions and it took her about 3 weeks to get her first pullup. Now she can get 5.

Does anyone know if there are benefits to eating a lean piece of pork every now and then? I know it has protein, but I never really hear it mentioned along the likes of beef and chicken for that purpose. I took that to mean it wasn't very healthy.

Pork is fine. Its "the other white meat."

When cooking Barilla pasta, how far can you cook the pasta past Al Dente before it possibly becomes bad for you?
How could something become bad for you by overboiling? It isn't like burning, it won't get carcinogenic or anything. It just becomes mushy and gross. :oldrazz: My sister used to leave pasta on the stove until it became so soft you could practically suck it up with a straw. That's WAY too far.

Best way is you test a piece (ie, eat it) until you practice enough with cooking pasta to tell when it's done. It should have some resistance, but not be crunchy. I'm pretty good at gauging long pastas, but short ones are a bit more tricky because you can't tell how soft it is by stirring.

First, call me Devil. You have me on one of my favorite subjects....PULLUPS!!!!

Getting that first pullup will require a lot of volume. So, if getting full, unassisted pullups is your goal, dont do these exercises above just once a week and expect much progress.

You should do them often to let your body get adjusted to this move. I dont mean set after set on each one. But if you decide to do negatives as your training plan, then try to get in a few throughout the day for a few days in a row. Then rest 1 or maybe 2 days and test yourself to see if you can get a full pullup yet.

I work with a girl who came to me with this same problem/goal and she bought the Iron Gym (so she could do the negatives often at home) and followed these same instructions and it took her about 3 weeks to get her first pullup. Now she can get 5.
Thanks for the tips! I think an Iron Gym would work for me, especially if I just don't get to the gym that often.

How could something become bad for you by overboiling? It isn't like burning, it won't get carcinogenic or anything. It just becomes mushy and gross. :oldrazz: My sister used to leave pasta on the stove until it became so soft you could practically suck it up with a straw. That's WAY too far.

Best way is you test a piece (ie, eat it) until you practice enough with cooking pasta to tell when it's done. It should have some resistance, but not be crunchy. I'm pretty good at gauging long pastas, but short ones are a bit more tricky because you can't tell how soft it is by stirring.

QUOTE]

Thank you.

Someone told me that the longer you cook pasta, the more starches seeps through, but I didn't think I had to worry about that with Barilla because of the flour used to make it. And I run around 50 miles a week and eaating pasta really helps me with that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back