The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Thread Manager, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ComicChick

ComicChick Hurricane-ing

well on a positive note, i can say that i am not on any prescription medications but i am curious about vitamins and the like. the only vitamin i take is Bromelain and I take that daily. I've been taking that since March

what vitamins/supplements are everyone taking?

2. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

What sorcery is this?

How many people can say they have regular access to a cryo chamber?

:rant:

I don't know whether you guys are just using a bar attached to a door frame or whether you're doing this in the gym, but my gym has an assisted dip machine; you can add 10-20kg's (or more) to the pull up making it easier (and do-able); if you have access to one of these, I'd encourage you to use it, then simply reduce the weighs over time. You'll get there. :)

I don't, nor have I ever taken such things. I think vitamin tablets and supplements are okay if you're truly putting in 110%; same with protein shakes and the like. I further think that too many people take them because they think it's the thing to do - it isn't. A good diet and regular exercise is all that anyone should need. :-)

3. ComicChick

ComicChick Hurricane-ing

I had a vitamin D deficiency when I was working overnights and had to take those for a while. I no longer need them since I’m on days now and am able to get out in the sun more. I don’t remember what my lab score was, but my D level was super low

4. Canadian Rider

Canadian Rider Ghost Lantern

So after a long layoff I started back at the gym.
    I like working out in the morning because it is people who are serious about their workouts. At night it seems many people come to gym, sit on the equipment and look at their phones.
    I prefer to simply go, workout and then go home.
    I am currently using a 3 day routine where I do 15 reps (light day) then 10 reps the next and then 5 reps heavy day.
    Anybody have suggestions for exercises to work the back of the shoulder?

5. ComicChick

ComicChick Hurricane-ing

i bought some ankle weights to wear at work to get some extra "pep" in my step because on any day, i'm usually walking 3-5 miles in there. i thought it'd be a good way to get an extra burn. felt great the first day, could kinda feel the added weight the second, but i left them at home today. doh!
    all in all, i look forward to wearing these at work and i hope it's a small step :rimshot: towards helping me break this plateau

6. Flash525

I find this happens regardless of time of day where I go. I don't mind people looking at their phones though (some have their routine on them) but if they're browsing Amazon or Facebook whilst sat at a machine, that does irritate me.

It may work for you, but I'd always thought it's better to stick to a similar routine than to mix it up within the week; there's no harm in variation, but (for example) I alternate my workouts every six (or eight) weeks now. I have two different programs (Triceps/Chest/Sholders/Abs) vs (Biceps/Back/Legs) that I'll alternate between each time I go to the gym, but every six or eight weeks I'll either do 8 reps at heavy, or 12-15 reps at lighter, or I'll mix it up some more so for example, do heavy few reps on say, Legs, but light and many on Back & Biceps - if that makes sense?

Reverse Cable Fly? Bent-over Lateral Raise (seated)?

7. Nardz937

Nardz937 In The Chill Of Night

My anxiety hits an all-time worst when I'm at the gym. Even though I know I'm likely being paranoid and it's in my head, I can't help but always feel like I'm being judged. It's the main reason why I usually go late at night when there's not many people there.

I was doing pretty good a few years ago. Lifting weights almost everyday was taking supplements. I'm getting back into the swing of things now. Going to try really hard to commit myself more and go regularly during the winter and add some size/muscle mass by spring/summer.

8. Flash525

To be honest, you probably are being judged, but what does that matter? Lots of different people go to the gym for lots of different reasons. I judge people that groan when lifting weights. I judge people that can't do reps without spending 10 minutes on their phone between each one. I judge people that wear baseball caps backwards and walk around in very slack vests. I'm sure people judge me too, but I just get in, get what I've got to do done, and get out.

:D:

9. RetrogradeOrbit

RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

I judge myself every gym visit... :hehe:

10. RetrogradeOrbit

My fiancée wants to get fitter and as I am a bit of a gym bunny... :D
    I have, at her request I might add! Put together an exercise plan that I hope will target most, if not all of the major muscle groups.

Here is a list of what I have suggested.
    If y'all can take a look tell me if I have missed anything out, or if there are any better exercises I can add or alter?

Bear in mind that she is training at home and everything has to either be body weight exercises or dumbbells

Thanks for any input... :yay:

Upper back exercise
    Bent over arm raise with dumbbells 10-12 reps / 3 sets

Bicep curl / Tricep curls
    10-12 reps / 3 sets

Body weight squat (add dumbbells as appropriate)
    10-15 reps / 3 sets

Lower back
    Flat on back legs in "V" position then raise glutes and back off floor, hold for a couple of seconds and return to start position.
    10-20 reps / 3 sets

Side plank (abs)
    60-90 seconds and change to other side. Add 5 leg raises every 15 seconds for variety

Front plank (abs)
    60-90 seconds. Add 5 push-ups every 15 seconds for variety.

Glute exercise
    Kneel on floor facing down and then raise one leg up keeping 90 degree bend at knee, return to floor.
    10-20 reps / 3 sets

Reverse fly (upper back)
    10-12 reps / 3 sets

Standing leg curl with ankle weights (hamstrings)
    15-20 reps /3 sets (each leg)

Overhead dumbbell press (shoulders)
    10-15 reps /3 sets

11. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Well-Known Member

Those are solid base moves. I would also add in some push ups (knee modification if normal are too hard), and either a form of pull up, or get a band to replicate pull downs (a door attachment to do so is pretty cheap on amazon, 10-15bucks). If the reverse fly is hard, the lawnmower pull is a good alternate back exercise to the fly as well.

But in addition to exercise, I would emphasize that while it's always good to exercise, if she's really interested in results, tracking food is going to be the most important part of her journey. That's where you get real changes.

Solids stuff though!

12. RetrogradeOrbit

Thank you for the feedback.

Funnily enough, I bought a set of bands with a door attachment from Amazon that arrived yesterday! :cwink:
    But it doesn’t have a pull up attachment. I will look into that.

Diet as you say is, of course, key to any long term term fitness regime. But, she likes what she likes and that is never going to change... :D

13. spiderman2

spiderman2 Well-Known Member

So I am at 213 lbs for my height I am not supposed to be like over 180-185 and I find at like 200+ I tend to get heart burn. I hate hate exercise un less its like playing basketball or something because it just fells like to much of a chore and being that I am having a hard time with depression and have not really had sleep in like 6 years dont help either because depression takes away energy by its self and of course not getting sleep to. I just got a total gym on wed. I am hoping it can help me to lose weight. Even though I hate exercising I am more likely to do it this way than going to a gym has I dont have to leave my house and can like watch sports while I do it and paying like 40-50 a month for a gym like most gyms I would be paying in just a few months what the total gym cost. I also got a scale and found out I am 32% body fate its just about all on my stomach I would say. I think this will help me lose some weight. I am not expecting like a miracle or any thing but considering I really only get exercise like maybe 1 time a week besides the walking and being on my feet at work that I have to do so I am sure working out seveal times a week on this compared to basically never working out should help me lose some weight.

losing weight is not easy and I dont like a lot of healthy food has it just taste like crap out side of loving fruit that is cant stand vegetables could go the rest of my life with out touching them. I did start doing like fruit/vegetable smoothies a while back to up my vegetable intake has than you cant really taste the vegetables and started trying to lower my intake of meat and bread some so like better more healty ca but its so hard to lose weight. In like a month if I dont eat any ice cream, cookies, fast food, pizza type of thing I will lose only like 1-2 lbs. So hopefully getting some exercise will help has just watching what you eat has just about zero results for me with trying to lose weight.

14. Infinity9999x

If you have the door attachment, you should be able to put it at the top of a door, and then if you get down on your knees you can mimic a pull up movement. That's a nice way of hitting a good portion of the back/arms all in one go.

15. Infinity9999x

Getting more exercise is always good. Unfortunately though, if you're really looking to get down to a healthier weight and keep it off, it's all food. You can't out train a bad diet, unless you're exercising 6 hours a day or something insane like that.

To give you an idea, when I got nuts on a cardio workout (hill sprints etc) I burn maybe 1000 calories. And that's a lot. But one slice of cheese pizza is about 300 calories. If I have 3 slices, I just killed that hour long cardio workout.

So it really will come down to food. And that can be tough. At the end of the day, our bodies are different, and people respond to different tactics in different ways. But at it's core, you'll need to consume less calories in order to lose weight. You could do that eating crap food, as long as you're tracking your calories. Problem is, this type of food doesn't tend to make you feel full, and it's pretty miserable to do.

I would always recommend trying to eat veggies, but figure out ways you don't mind eating them. Making them in chillies and stews, find the spices and such that will disguise them for you, or at least make you not mind eating them with other foods.

Upping protein intake helped with me, because protein and fats keep you full longer. But, as I've said, it'll be a lot of trial and error until you figure out what works.

The most important thing is: do something that is SUSTAINABLE. Far too many people find a fad diet that works for a month or two, and they crash. When I started watching my food, I didn't cut out pizza and ice cream completely, I just reduced my portions, and upped the heathier things I ate it with. Instead of having just pizza for dinner, I had a slice or two with my chicken breast and veggies etc

I also use my fitness pal to track my calories, and that's a pretty easy way to log what you eat.

I know it's not an easy fix, and most people would rather focus on exercise, but if you really want to get serious about managing your weight, diet is by far the most important aspect. 90% of your results will come from this.

Flash525 and RetrogradeOrbit like this.
  16. RetrogradeOrbit

^^^
    Yep, exactly what they said... :D
    in my experience, getting fit and healthy is around 70% diet and 30% exercise.
    By diet I don’t mean “losing weight”. I mean what you eat and drink, day in, day out.
    I can’t stress enough how important it is to have a healthy, well balanced diet. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have a treat every now and then.

But you just can’t out train a bad diet (I’m stealing that phrase!)

Also, it is just as important to be healthy on the inside.
    Look up “visceral fat” and “cholesterol”
    It’s perfectly possible to be a “healthy” weight and still have underlying health problems which are not so easy to see.

I think the phrase is “skinny fat”. I would suggest reading up on that as well.

Good luck with your fitness journey, Spiderman2. :yay:

17. spiderman2

spiderman2 Well-Known Member

While yeah food is important for sure I am just saying that if I go from exercising like 1 time a week to doing weights like ever day I am sure that will make some what of a difference on its own. Say I burn like 200 Calories like 5 days a week compared to like 1 time a week I am sure that will do something. When it comes to food it just dont seem to work by its self is what I am saying. Like I said I can really eat good for like a whole month and I am lucky if I lose 2 lbs in that much time and my job makes it hard because I dont do well if I cant eat around normal times like if I dont eat lunch at like 12-1 and eat later or if I dont eat dinner at like 6-6:30 but later than I get really hungry and eat a crazy amount of food because I just wont get full enough when I have to eat at odd times and I dont have a 8-5 job so a lot of times I end up eating a lot more because of that. I am not the kind of person who could eat like 1800 Calories I would be starving all the time if I did that. I am just trying to stay away from eating a lot of sugar and fast food type of things. A while back when I got up to 232 the biggest I have ever gotten I was eating pizza like 1-2 times a week and also mac and chesse like 1-2 times a week. After I got up to that 232 I changed things and started only eating pizza like once ever few weeks and I almost never eat mac and chesse any more. I was able to get down to 195 after I got up to that 232 but than I got back up to 215 and now for the last severl years I have been basically 210-215 range. I would like to get to like 195ish and stay there.

So yeah I known you need less Calories and in a way exercise does that some has you do lose some of those Calories. Also I didn't known un till just like a week ago that if you have more muscle it helps your body burn more calories I dont known like how much more but more. So I am hoping if I can burn say like 200 calories a night compared to like nothing by exercising and also up my muscle some that those 2 things can help to lose some fat.

18. Flash525

^^ Don't go doing weights every day of the week, you'll end up bored and fatigued. Your body needs time to recover too. There's no harm in working out every day of the week, but break it up a bit.

On a typical week (lately) I'll gym three or four days (weight training), do circuits three days (so bodyweight stuff), a single run (of 5k at the moment - I'm returning from a knee injury) and if the weather is favourable, I'll go for a cycle ride of 30-50miles. The run/ride would take priority over a day of circuits.

...I say circuits, it's more like a 45min solo HIIT workout that I've put together myself, but it works.

Thus, I'm doing something everyday, but something different, and (not that you are) but a good 45-60 minute workout of hard effort is going to be better for you than 90-120minutes of lesser impact; that's why HIIT workouts are typically short. Some people don't think (or simply don't) sweat when weight training, and the trick to that is to do supersets; if possible, set up three or four machines/weights and cycle between them. Ie;

Dumbbell Press
    Dumbbell Flies
    Push-Ups
    Plank Switches
    -----rest (30-60 secs?)
    Repeat (x4 total)

Diet does play a huge part in it too; if you're looking to ditch fat (not to be mistaken with weight) then you need to reduce your cheese, carbohydrates and sugar intake. Eat more fish, chicken and vegetables. Less chips, bread and cake.

Carrot Cake is still Cake, unfortunately. :p

19. RetrogradeOrbit

But, but it has carrots...:hehe:

Flash525 likes this.
  20. Infinity9999x

Don't get me wrong, exercising will certainly help. Increasing your muscle mass, improving your cardio strength, etc. In general any form of exercise is going to help keep you heathier than not exercising.

But, at the end of the day, if you want to really effect change in your body, it's going to come down to food. Sure, you'll burn some calories exercising, but as I pointed out before, it's incredibly easy to eat a little extra and lose any ground you gained in calories. If you tried eating healthy before and werent losing weight, simply put, you weren't eating in a calorie deficit. And if it was really hard for you to try to eat less, that probably has to do with the qaulity of your food. Eating lots of processed carbs and bread won't keep you full very long, and they're a lot of calories, so it makes trying to keep a calorie deficit very hard.

Excercise can be a great motivator when you're trying to eat less, because if you're keeping track of how many calories you burn, exercise= being able to eat more. And that's a great motivator to exercise regularly. (Again, keeping in mind that you don't over-eat).

So in short; don't think I'm trying to dissuade you from exercise. Definitely start working out, and figure out what kind of exercise you enjoy doing. But I really have to emphasize that if you don't also pay attention to what you eat, you will see little to no change in the percentage of fat on your body. You'll get stronger and fitter, but it won't get rid of the extra fat stores your body is keeping. That was me for a long time. I've always been a gym rat, but I was one of those guys who was in solid shape, always strong, but never had abs or definition. And I worked out hard and regularly. It wasn't until I started logging calories that I lost weight and got cut.

Food will always Trump exercise when it comes to your body composition. It's just an unfortunate fact of our biology.

21. Infinity9999x

The only thing I would caution about super sets is to make sure you have an idea of what your goal with lifting is. Don't super set if you're attempting to lift heavy, as you need to give your body some rest between each set (3-5mins depending on how heavy you're going). But if you're going for a good burn and to get some cardio with a lift, super sets are a great way to do so. But also make sure you really have your form down. When you're doing lighter weight and higher reps, it's easy to want to push through the reps very quickly, and you may start doing little cheats in form without realizing it. And that can come back to bite you over time. It’s why I tend to stay away from doing super sets or high reps with moves like Deadlift or Squat.

Flash525 likes this.
  22. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Cool idea. How have they been working out for you?

23. Flash525

I'm lifting heavy(ish), but I don't have a whole lot of interest in gaining mad mass. Generally I'll do 4x sets of 8 reps on whatever I'm doing.

I've got two programmes which I change every six to eight weeks; I'll do the same exercises, but alternate between doing heavy sets 4x sets of 8 reps for six to eight weeks, then I'll knock the weight down and do 4x sets of 12 reps for the next six to eight weeks, then back to the heavy; just to mix it up a bit and keep my body guessing.

You are right though, it's easy to get a bit lax on form when you're fatigued; time to drop the weight or reps down if that starts to happen.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  24. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

Drinking has consumed me. I know get drunk and run. I do run for hours though. Will I make any gains?

25. ComicChick

ComicChick Hurricane-ing

I really enjoyed them when i was using them. i've been out of town working for almost a week and didn't take them with me. When I go back to work Sunday, they will be on my ankles.
    I also got my Bromelain vitamins in the mail. I had run out. This is the only vitamin i take regularly and have been since i had surgery in March. For those who dont know, (and i sure didn't prior to my surgeon suggesting it), Bromelain is is a mixture of enzymes found in the pineapple plant.
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-895/bromelain

I'm really trying to work on my diet and food intake this month. I really want to focus on that and upping my water intake. i didn't do too great with that this past month.