The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Thread Manager, Mar 12, 2015.

1. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

I need to lose weight I have a hard time with heart burn a lot of it is my stress and I cant do any thing about that because I cant stand my job but I have been looking for years and I have not been able to find a new job and it is causing me big time depression. But I need to at least lose some weight because that is the one healthy thing I can control and I am about 30 lbs over what I should be at 216 has of Jan 1. I tend to have less heart burn issues when I am at like 200ish. I got lazy around the holidays like most people and gained 3 lbs. I worked out the last like 5 days took today off to relax. I did a few days on the total gym I got a few months ago and I also got a elliptical not long ago and I used that a few times during those days to. I try to go like 40-50 minutes but because I am not in great shape + having asthma it is hard. I am able to do it but I do get pretty tired and do have to like slow down some and get a drink of water and such more so on the elliptical has my cordio is really bad. Hate that I have asthma makes things harder. I like to play basketball but I can really only do that on my days off and that is if I am not bussy with work, school, hw, job screeching. When I do play I can only play like 50 minutes because I just cant breath after that wish I could play like 2 hours. Not only the breathing but when I exercise more so with the cordio I always crap up some what mostly in the hamstring area. I dont known if part of that is because of my asthma and so like not getting enough oxygen to my muscles or what.

frankgutz likes this.
  2. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

To anyone that may be tempted, there's an app (well there's many, but the one I use) called Freeletics; there's a few free programs you can choose to do (of various levels) and then there's more if you subscribe. I'd encourage everyone to download and give them a try; they're pretty much HIIT sessions that you can do by yourself, at home. Each workout has a video guide and timer so you know what to do. Might give people an incentive if they're got a program made for them.

Bigger arms are easy enough; work those Biceps (heavier weights, less reps) and they'll budge in next to no time. A stronger back however isn't so much about the back, but more your core (especially a stronger lower back). I used to struggle with my lower back quite a bit (as a road cyclist I'm often in that unnatural position) however I started doing Deadlifts some 18 months ago, and it's made the world of difference. Just don't go too heavy until you've got the technique right. Other exercises like hip raises (with or without a barbell) and cat stretches, back extensions and 30sec planks are good to do, as are gluteal stretches (helps pull the muscles around your glutes and lower back).

I don't know your specific circumstances, but to repeat what's been said before, there's a significant difference between weight, and fat. You probably don't need to lose that much weight, you just need to burn off some excess fat. Having muscles mass is good for the body, and beefs up ones metabolism (so you'll generally burn stuff off that little bit quicker). You need to weight train to get that muscle growth though. You don't have to go mad either; nobody is expecting you (or anyone else) to suddenly start lifting 300lbs.

It's probably a lack of stretching before/after workouts that'll give you cramps. Do you do much weight work, as in weight lifting? Cardio is good for getting your heart rate up, and of course losing weight, but don't forego weight training too. I used to be of the misguided opinion that you only did weights if you wanted more muscle, and that cardio was the only way I should ever go to lose weight. I couldn't have been more wrong. I haven't used a cardio machine in the gym for at least three years; I go to the gym to do weight training only. I'll do my cardio outside, a run, a ride, or I'll do a solo HIIT session at home.

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It's really the walking to and from work that is making it possible. Without that I would be probably doing about 12k on weekdays. 23k without having a guaranteed number of huge steps already planned is really good :up:

4. ComicChick

ComicChick I Work Too Much

are you drinking enough water? that can be a sign of dehydration

5. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

I always drink a lot of water even if not like working out has I have really bad allergies and if I dont drink a lot of water my mounth tends to get dry and I tend to cough a lot more.

6. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

Well flash 525 most of my fat is in my mid area and I would say I have average muscle so I cant say the reason I am around 30 lbs over what I should weight is because of muscle. But yeah I didn't no that muscle mass also makes your body burn more ca un till just a few months ago that was news to me + I just dont get enough exercise and my job is making it hard to because of the hours I have been working I am having 2-3 days a week where I am eating 4 meals in a day instead of 3 has I am the kind of person where I cant skip meals or eat meals at odd times or it just throws my apitite of and than I bing from being so hungry has a result. I started working out on like Jan 1 with an elliptical and a Total gym. I worked out all days from like Jan 1 threw like Jan 10th with only taking 1 day off but than I started getting a cold on the night of the 10th so now I am having to take a break.

7. Iceman

That's a good start mate, and yeah you should stop when you get ill until you recover. And then just try and get back into the minute you're better. You can make good progress in 2019 buddy :up::cwink:

8. Flash525

Most people put excess fat on around their middle area; belly, hips, backside and thighs; men tend to put it on around their belly, whilst women tend to put it on around their hips and buttocks, but it isn't explicitly those areas.

There's two types of fat though, there's visceral fat and then there's subcutaneous fat. Subcutaneous fat is the fat you've got in excess; the fat giving you that belly or flab. Whilst it may not look particularly nice in the mirror, it's not half as dangerous as visceral fat. Visceral fat is the fat that accumulates around your heart and arteries and can be detrimental to your health. You can carry subcutaneous fat whilst having a healthy heart, just as you can look visually slim whilst having a poor circulate system due to subcutaneous fat. Just something to bare in mind here.

The more muscly you are, generally, the stronger you are, and the more fuel your body needs to burn in order to maintain those muscles; bulking up a little (I'm not on about a six pack) makes you feel better, and forces your body to burn more calories not only whilst working out, but also whilst doing everyday things.

You shouldn't skip meals so say, but you've got to be eating the right size portions and the right foods when you do eat. You can eat six portions of salad throughout any given day if you want, but you need to ensure that your body is getting the fuel it needs, and salads don't generally provide your body with that much fuel. Having three meals in a day where you're eating chips, burgers and chocolate is equally as unhealthy.

If you want to reduce subcutaneous fat, your best bet is to avoid processed sugar and excessive carbs; if you're eating bread, eat wholegrain or something with seeds in it. Have sweet potato instead of normal potatoes. Eat brown or wholemeal rice/pasta instead of the white stuff - but at the same time, don't eat carbs with every meal, it just isn't needed. For someone with an active lifestyle, be that weight training, or a 10k run every other day etc, one carb meal a day will suffice, perhaps with porridge or something in the morning followed by rice/pasta/potatoes in the evening?

If you're ill, it's best to rest up, else you're forcing your body to do too much and your healing will take longer. Likewise, as great as it is to be active and hit the gym or whatever, rest days are essential to a healthy lifestyle. If you must do something, just go for a walk. It's still getting out, but not pushing yourself beyond relaxed levels.

9. Holiday

Holiday Celebrate

@Flash525 , I did start deadlifting in my workouts and after having some problems with my form and my breathing the first couple of weeks I was able to put it together my last workout with some pain free deadlifts at 185lbs. For my arms, Im doing dips and lots of bicep curls.

10. Flash525

How many sets of Deadlifts are you doing?

Generally, on my compound days, I'll set up two bars, one on a frame, and the other, on the floor, and generally superset between the two (sometimes I'll throw in some hip raises or pull-ups in between them too). A typical compound workout for me;

Barbell Squats @ 47.5kg x12 reps
    Barbell Deadlift @ 62.5kg x 12 reps
    x1
    Barbell Squats @ 57.5kg x10 reps
    Barbell Deadlift @ 72.5kg x 10 reps
    x3
    Barbell Squats @ 62.5kg x8 reps
    Barbell Deadlift @ 82.5kg x8 reps
    x2

The bars are approx. 12.5kg's each. Occasionally (if I feel as though I have it in me) I'll do a 7th set with a little more weight too. I wonder whether you do something similar, or whether you're more heavy reps, less reps? If you want to beef your arms (and feel that burn - especially in your chest/tricep area) I'd suggest doing sets of dumbbell presses, followed by dumbbell flyes, followed by a set of push-ups, then rinse & repeat. :-)

11. Iceman

I’ve missed my minimum number of steps target a few times already so that one’s out of the window for the year. Average is still good at 28k so will try and get that up to 30k (I do less on weekdays and try and make up the difference on weekends by walking everywhere).

12. Holiday

Holiday Celebrate

With compound movements, I like 5 x 5. When I first tried the deadlift, 5 x 5 with 135 (my starting weight for squats and deadlift) was easy so I tried it on a bar with 185 for a reps and then had some minor back pain. So after working on my technique for a couple weeks I was able to do 185 again but I only did single reps and two reps for one set. Maybe 12 reps total. I'm thinking Saturday I will try 5x5 with 185.

For bicep curls, I try 6-8 reps or up to 10-12 if it's a smaller weight for me (20lbs). I like triceps overhead extension, using 45-50lbs for r3 sets of 6.

Flash525 likes this.
  13. the last son

the last son Registered

How important is it to change your routine? I pretty much do the same sets and reps every week just always adding weight. I also work body part twice a week. One day heavy the next not quite so heavy.

14. Flash525

I'd say it's fairly important, otherwise your body adapts to your routine and you get to a point where there's no change, or where you simply stagnate.

I (try) to change my workouts every six to eight weeks. It's not that I suddenly change them, but I change the way I do them, or the order in which I do them - just to keep them fresh a little and surprise the body occasionally.

Maybe for six or eight weeks I'll focus on lighter weights with higher reps, and then the next six or eight weeks I'll go heavier with fewer reps then after another six or eight weeks I'll switch back to the lighter weights with higher reps again, all whilst rotating the order of exercises that I do.

Doesn't always work out that way cause I don't keep a diary or anything (I should really, but meh), but it's an idea to help you out maybe? Could also alternate between freeweights and cable weights, depending on the exercise?

15. the last son

the last son Registered

Ok yeah I keep a journal. In about a month I'll probably do more reps lighter weight. I'll do research if that's the route I want because my goal is to get as big as I can by eating more plus with lifting as heavy as I can for 4 to 6 reps. Seeing progress.

Flash525 likes this.
  16. Flash525

You and I have different goals, so my methods may not quite be right for you, however I do think there's benefit in changing up your workout every so often so that your body doesn't become accustomed to a particular routine.

the last son likes this.
  17. Iceman

True. Although I find that's only important for people who are plateauing, and often isn't relevant for the majority.

Flash525 and the last son like this.
  18. the last son

the last son Registered

Thanks you all for the suggestions. One more question. Am I taking too many supplements? I take six star brand energy before workouts, I take their creatine right after and then I usually drink whey protein with breakfast and dinner.

19. Flash525

I'm unable to answer this question I'm afraid; I don't take supplements or protein drinks as I don't ... believe in them. Different goals and all that.

20. the last son

the last son Registered

This has been my routine past 3 weeks.
    Mon : chest / triceps
    Tues: legs
    Wed: back / biceps
    Thurs: shoulders, forearms, abs
    Fri: chest/ triceps
    Sat: legs
    Sun: back/bis

I don't work Fri, sat, Sun so i get rest those days. Any issues?

Seems ok for me so far.

21. Flash525

Whilst you may not work, I'd still think your body needs rest. I guess it ultimately depends on how hard you're pushing yourself, and how long your sessions are.

I usually do shoulders alongside chest & triceps, forearms alongside back & biceps, and abs along with legs (because my leg workouts tend to be longer as they incorporate core stuff) but I'm probably not pulling the same weight as you are.

If you're not having any problems, then by all means, stick with it. If it becomes a problem, just add a little on to each of your days and take Thursday off, that way you can build into the workouts Mon, Tu & Wed (when you're working too), have a rest Thur, and then hit it hard(er) Fri, Sat & Sun when you aren't working and thus more refreshed.

Side note; I'm envious that you have a three day weekend.

22. ComicChick

february was a horrible month for me fitness-wise. i know i did horrible so i need to regroup this month. on another note; i did get this achievement from fitbit:

[​IMG]

23. TheFuture

TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

I've been up and down like yoyo since the start of 2016 when my father died. Started from scratch a couple of weeks ago. More focusing on diet than exercising. Not doing too badly so far.

24. ComicChick

i can kinda trigger my "downhill" descent from when my maternal grandmother passed away in 2012. when i realized what was going on and tried to stop/change, i've been yo-yoing ever since. i honestly could do a lot better and i know i can do it as i've had the results before, so i just basically need to discipline myself and avoid all the enablers in my life helping me make bad choices.

25. MissMarvelous87

MissMarvelous87 Registered

Been on a diet for a couple of months now, and already lost 10 pounds! Good eating: lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, skim dairy products (cream cheese, cheese, milk and yogurt), almost no salt, good fats (seeds, avocado), no red meat (used to eat lots of meat but eventually started to have this meh feeling), eggs... Nothing too weird! One may believe that NO EATING equals losing weight but no: I have 6 meals a day. And I go 3/4 times a week to the gym.

Gym does play a key part iniall of that, ofocourse but also I started to feel better and more motivated. Even more positive and my mood improved a lot.

#875 MissMarvelous87, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019