The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Thread Manager, Mar 12, 2015.

1. jolldan

jolldan Registered

I gave these types of lifts I had never heard of called complexes a go and have decided
    [​IMG]

2. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Did a half marathon yesterday after doing 2 weeks of running to and back from work every day. This definitely felt much easier than the last time I did a long run (17 miles). I think the mileage during the week helps a lot.

3. Iceman

This looks horrendous, especially repeating the whole thing 10 times in 20 minutes. I might try with very low weight to see what it’s like. I bet there’s top gains to be had from it, but yeah, looks brutal.

4. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Being anemic has killed my fitness life. I'm currently taking a break from it. :( But walking for 10 minutes is considered as exercise so thats one.

5. Manasrepublic

Manasrepublic Registered

I am sorry to hear about your anemia. I hope it resolves itself with treatment and you are able to engage in fitness again.

psylockolussus likes this.
  6. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I take 500 grams of iron per day and thankfully I don't get tired so fast anymore and my hands are no longer cold. But the first three months of 2019, I felt like I wasted my gym fee because my body got tired easily, there were weeks that I didn't go and when I was there, it was a miracle if I could do a dozen of weight exercises and I was always running out of breath and I didn't even use the treadmill. And I used to do like 20+ exercises for the upper body day. The last leg day I had in the gym was torture because it was the first time I had a leg day in 2019 and I was only doing it because it was my final week. I used to do 6 to 8 weight exercises for my leg days then 3 sets of pillates but that day I think only finished 4 weight exercises and 2 sets of pilates and my God, my leg was freaking in pain for 5 days and I know it was muscle pain and not bone damage. And the thing with my muscle sores, I felt it when I woke up like the soreness really activated hours after the workout and sometimes it lasted longer than 2 days, and when that happened, even if I wanted to go to the gym, I couldn't because my muscles were still sore. Then I decided to take a break from the gymthis month because besides from my illness, it also made me lazy. I have weights in my house and I can do pilates right in my room if I want to but the fitness bug in me faded away. Though I hope to go back to it before the year ends.

7. Texas Zombie

Texas Zombie Not Super

Man, I wouldn’t mind a sport massage with a some of those cup things on my lower back. I guess a foam roller and tennis ball is basically the same thing right?

8. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

How far is work? I (currently) run about 10k (6miles?) a week - as a one off run cause I've been suffering with tendons, but even when I have been running more, I'd not have attempted a half marathon after only two weeks of running, heh. What was your time?

It's cheaper at least. :p

9. Iceman

Just under 5 miles.

Oh right. Is it something that needs to be checked out?

2hrs 30 mins - quite a slow jog. I think I could do about 2 hours if I went for it now as my runs have been getting more comfortable and faster since I posted that. I’m about to go on hols and plan to do a ton of exercise there but also eat legendary amounts. :D:

I got motivated as everyone at work seems to be doing marathons and Iron Mans.

10. Flash525

For some reason I thought you signed up and ran a half marathon in record time.. Hah. 2hrs 30 isn't bad though, by no means - especially for someone that's only been running for two weeks. Your feet/legs/knees must've hated you the following day though? :p

I've only done the one myself (1hr 44), had planned to do a few more, but the tendons have stopped me from perusing them. The first occurrence was in my knee (patellar tendon) back in October 2017, me and my brother were training for a 10mile NYE run at the time.

I saw a physio or two, they told me to stop running, I knew better (hah) and carried on. It wasn't until the January that I actually realised the toll it was taking, and so essentially had to give up running for 8months or so (I did the odd 5k, but nothing more). It's only been toward the end of last year and into this year that I've started to get back into it; I kept it at 5k's until around February/Mach where I upped my distance to 10k again, and whilst my knee has (mostly) held out, I've had some trouble with the tendon outer side of my foot; I'm told it's because of overcompensation for weak or tired muscles elsewhere.

At the moment, it's just being aware of my weakness and not pushing myself too hard. Small history essay for you there, sorry heh. :oops: I love the buzz I get after a run though, and am not looking forward to the day that I'll eventually have to give it up for good (should that day come).

It's good that you've become motivated though - stick at it, and get that next half marathon done in under 2hrs. ;)

Iceman likes this.
  11. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

I wasn't sure what it was so I googled it sound crappie. I hate that I have asthma my self has it makes it harder to lose weight has I can only work out so long before I have to stop because I just cant breath and I also cramp up like ever time I exercise more so with Cardio.

12. Flash525

Why not change your workout method if you're struggling with asthma? Instead of spending say, 15minutes on a treadmill, spend 5minutes, but ramp up the speed? It'll probably do more for you?

Alternatively, weight training; that can burn just as much as a cardio workout. A lot of people (myself included at one point) always carried the mindset that weights = big and bulky, but that really isn't the case (unless you want it to be I guess). I'm by no means a jacked up freak of nature, but I only ever do weights at the gym (I do my cardio outside in the fresh air - I hate gym cardio).

I do weight training two or three times a week, for about 90mins. It's helped me shed a lot of weight (between the outside cardio) and I could probably lose a bit more if I wasn't so easily tempted by cake and pizza.

I keep using the word weight too, and I shouldn't. Weight is good (so long as you're not carrying too much - obviously). Excess fat is where the problem lays, but you can get rid of that in a multitude of ways. It's not all about cardio.

Texas Zombie likes this.
  13. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

I love to play basketball but can only play for like at most 1 hour and even then its not like all running some of it is running but some is just shooting around and some I have to stop for a second get my breath back and relax for a second and than play. I have started trying to do weights to but I have always heard that weight training burns calories a lot slowing then like just running and that is why I bring up cardio because it burn calories faster and just eating good with out exercising isn't enough for me. I am about 215 should only be like 185 max for my height and I would say my muscle mass is like average so yeah to much fat. With out exercising I could go a whole month with out eating any fast food or like ice cream, cookies, pizza. fried foods and I would be lucky to lose more then 1lbs in a whole month. I started trying to do weights for around 50 minutes have a hard time do much more than that again because of the breathing and even doing that like 5 times a week I was not really losing much weight. I dont really snake either I just eat 3 meals a day but my dinner is a little bit bigger though because just naturally I am more hungry at dinner than any other part of the day. I am still eating sweats a little to often thinks to my depression my work makes me fell I crave sugar like all the time and its so hard to like not give in a lot when you are craving it like 24-7. But yeah I need to do cardio more often. If I do cardio with also doing weights then maybe I could lose a little bit of weight. I was thinking about getting a stationary bike off amazon but I am annoyed has I bought a elliptical off amazon that brook after only like 3 months and the seller has not helped me fix it even though I have been talking to them for several months and because it was like 3erd party seller amazon will not do any thing about it. So like $300 down the drag and I am like do I want to speed that much again for it to only break after a short time again? I dont make a lot of money.

14. Iceman

Oh haha. I probably worded it badly. It wasn’t an official half marathon, just a jog in the park of half marathon distance lol. I was jogging slowly and was planning to go further and try the full marathon distance just to have done it once, but I realised I wouldn’t get it finished before the park closes so I just stopped at half. Unlike when I had done the 17 mile run earlier (where my body was blasted!), I recovered from this very quickly and felt like I could do it again after a day’s rest. I’m building up slowly with the daily runs during the week and hopefully will get better as the months and years roll past.

And that’s a good time! A shame about the injuries and I wish you the best of luck in recovering from them. Yeah, I totally love the buzz. I used to get the same from doing a cross trainer on high resistance every day and that is no impact, and you can do it every day even when you are older in case of interest at that point.

Flash525 likes this.
  15. Flash525

@spiderman2 , dude, you really need to work on paragraphs. :eek:

Cardio is about intensity. You'll do your body a credit with a hard 15minutes, compared to a slow 60minutes. Interval training (via a treadmill, cross-trainer, or even out on foot) is going to be better for you than endless jogging. You can get similar ... results through weight training too; supersets.

Ignore the posers at the gym, maybe speak to a few lean people. I'm sure they do cardio, but I bet a few of them have regular weight day sessions too.

There's only one solid way to lose fat (rather than weight) and that's calorie deficit. If you want to lose those lbs, you need to reduce your intake. Sweets and other treats should be just that - a treat (maybe once a week); maybe your dinner could do with being reduced in size? You may feel as though you're more hungry at dinner, but if you eat less, your body will eventually adapt to that and it'll start burning off fat, rather than what you're eating to stockpile.

It really does depend on your goals. 6 days weight training for me just isn't practical, because I prefer cardio (it's quicker, easier, and I can please myself where i do it, and when). I usually put aside at least two days a week to go to the gym though and do my weights - I suppose it's more to keep on top of them than anything else.

I've probably mentioned this before, but there's an app you can download called Freeletics; it's free to download and use, though there's the option to subscribe if you want more out of it. I've recently subscribed, you I used the free version for a good 9months. There will be exercises and workouts in there that you can aim to complete. Maybe?

I wouldn't think weight is the problem. Excess fat maybe? They're very different things. If you're doing weight training, you'll likely put weight on - and that's a good thing. Muscle weighs more than Fat anyway.

Even a jog around a park for 13, or even 17 miles is an accomplishment. You should feel proud; I'm sure you do anyway, but still. If it's of interest to you, I'd encourage you to sign up to a couple of events; maybe 10k ones, they're quite popular. It may only be 6miles compared to 13 or 17, but you'll find yourself with a quicker pace - I certainly did. It's much different running against people.

I'll worry about the cross-trainer if my age ever catches up with me, and only then. :p I hate static cardio.

16. Iceman

@Flash525

When I did that 17 mile run after pretty much no training (also no sleep or food), I was just trying to see how far I could run. I would have been very happy with something like 7/8 miles so was amazed that I managed to go that far. The pace got too slow towards the end and even though I might have been able to do 26 miles, it would have taken too long at that point lol.

And I’m also impressed with myself that I’m able to run from work to home (and vice versa) at all, and the pace is gradually getting better for that too. I thought I was being too ambitious trying to do that 10 times a week but recovery has been better than expected. I read that it might be to do with the fact that you get blood flow to your legs again regularly without stressing them out too much with a long run. And after logging this first time for a half marathon with no ill effects I can start trying to do it faster. This has been a lot of fun so far and I love discussing progress with people like you - thanks!

Texas Zombie and Flash525 like this.
  17. Iceman

Day 1 yesterday in a resort in Corfu. Was still a bit knackered from the flight the day before but managed to do 2.5 hours on a gym cross trainer. Tomorrow is the first day I expect to be fully with it and want to mix it up. Hopefully get to do some swimming, biking, running and weights.

18. Texas Zombie

Texas Zombie Not Super

It kinda sucks not having my own full personal gym...

19. Flash525

If you have a home, or even a room, there’s plenty you can do to get into shape. ;)

20. ComicChick

ComicChick I Work Too Much

inside my head, i totally want to be super athletic and energetic and all that, but then my body is like "nah, not today"

i feel like i keep yo-yoing. i lose a few, gain a few and then something seems to happen and i'll self-sabotage before i realize it. the caloric deficit is totally what i think is hurting me. i work crazy hours and shifts and i tend to binge, because i'll work 10 hours and then realize i haven't ate or drank anything the whole day, then i overeat. i really need to work on being more mindful of that in the "now", to keep myself from doing this.

crazy work shifts and a lot of stress and honestly not taking care of myself like i should be has really impacted my health the past couple of years. i can kinda seen the downward spiral and where it began. i can pretty much pinpoint it to when my maternal grandmother passed in feb 2012 and it was pretty much downhill for a few years after, followed by yo-yoing the past 2-3 years. really trying to stay on the ball this time around though

21. Flash525

@ComicChick , what do you do for work? Are you able to eat whilst working? I'm thinking fruit, rice cakes, granola bars or something; it's snacky, but not excessively unhealthy, and you wouldn't be going a whole shift without eating.

22. jolldan

jolldan Registered

This weekend will be the 3 month mark since I have started eating healthier and going to the gym regularly.

Weigh in tomorrow morning, good thing is that anything this week is a bonus as I hit my target of 3 stone/42 lbs last week.

Still roughly about here
    [​IMG]

But the goal is to get to here by the end of the year :funny:
    [​IMG]

23. tzarinna

tzarinna Mamochka

My son and I did Parkour in the Park with a Park Ranger on Saturday. I'm still feeling it, and I didn't even do the full hour and a half.

24. Iceman

So I ate a ridiculous amount on hols with it all being all-inclusive and top food. At least I did a load of exercise while out there too as well half a day walking each day for sightseeing.

25. Iceman

I tried this yesterday and I think it’s something I’ll do regularly. I already did something similar in the past with different and less movements, but will integrate the exercises that I used to do into this as well. I was only using light weight but I think it will be hard moving up soon so I will just keep at it. I love that the whole workout doesn’t take long so no excuse not to do it.