The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

Slight change of subject, although it is back to fitness - specifically weight lifting.

I can’t remember whether I’ve posted about it before, but between my running, cycling and HIIT workouts, I visit the gym - purely for weight training, and usually two or three times a week.

I have two programmes, one for chest, triceps, shoulders and abdominals, and another workout for legs, back and biceps.

Generally each workout takes 90-120minutes, depending on the weights and/or machines available to me. I’ve got a small list of exercises that I can do, so if one day I can’t do one exercise because someone is using the equipment I want or the floor space, I have alternates.

I’m just wondering whether I need to spend 90-120minutes per session, and just how many different exercises for the same muscle/groups are practical for me.

I’m not looking to bulk up, just tone up a little I guess and keep the weight off; could do with getting rid of some belly fat but that’s more down to diet. I think I’m of a healthy weight (79kg / 172lbs).

I make a point of doing deadlifts and squats, as they’ve helped me with core strength and injury before. My only weakness is shoulder exercises due to a damaged shoulder, and I suppose one of my knees (which is temperamental) otherwise I’m all good!

What happened to Ronnie Coleman? Why did he need those surgeries?

I wish I could get as big as this but I wonder how possible it is? also without any steroids and things like that. I use video game characters as an example, I don't know they're not stereotypical steroid using guys but are believable I guess there's real life examples but I don't feel like posting them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could get as big as this but I wonder how possible it is? also without any steroids and things like that. I use video game characters as an example, I don't know they're not stereotypical steroid using guys but are believable I guess there's real life examples but I don't feel like posting them.
Apparently (though I find it hard to believe myself) Dwayne Johnson (the Rock) has reached his current figure without the use of steroids, but his life literally is mostly eating and training if his social media account is anything to go by.

I suppose it’s possible if you’ve got the support and finances behind you. Most of us are everyday people that have jobs, lives, and financial restrictions, not to mention we don’t have the best in fitness and medical support.

Apparently (though I find it hard to believe myself) Dwayne Johnson (the Rock) has reached his current figure without the use of steroids, but his life literally is mostly eating and training if his social media account is anything to go by.

I suppose it’s possible if you’ve got the support and finances behind you. Most of us are everyday people that have jobs, lives, and financial restrictions, not to mention we don’t have the best in fitness and medical support.
rly ots that hard

What happened to Ronnie Coleman? Why did he need those surgeries?

Most people have speculated, or have just flat out pointed to the way he lifted. Ronnie is one of the strongest body builder's of all time, and one of only a handful that would be considered the strongest Mr. Olympia ever. But, in doing so, his technique is now very often called into question, and the amount of weight he lifted as well to achieve his physique.

So sadly, Ronnie's style was his downfall for why he's had so many surgeries, injuries, and why he can no longer walk without a walker/cane of some type, and most likely never will be able to do so again.

Slight change of subject, although it is back to fitness - specifically weight lifting.

I can’t remember whether I’ve posted about it before, but between my running, cycling and HIIT workouts, I visit the gym - purely for weight training, and usually two or three times a week.

I have two programmes, one for chest, triceps, shoulders and abdominals, and another workout for legs, back and biceps.

Generally each workout takes 90-120minutes, depending on the weights and/or machines available to me. I’ve got a small list of exercises that I can do, so if one day I can’t do one exercise because someone is using the equipment I want or the floor space, I have alternates.

I’m just wondering whether I need to spend 90-120minutes per session, and just how many different exercises for the same muscle/groups are practical for me.

I’m not looking to bulk up, just tone up a little I guess and keep the weight off; could do with getting rid of some belly fat but that’s more down to diet. I think I’m of a healthy weight (79kg / 172lbs).

I make a point of doing deadlifts and squats, as they’ve helped me with core strength and injury before. My only weakness is shoulder exercises due to a damaged shoulder, and I suppose one of my knees (which is temperamental) otherwise I’m all good!

Well if you're looking to 'tone' up, you need to add muscle, it's fairly difficult to do one without the other. Also, I wonder what you consider "bulking up"? People often say this, without really understanding what they're saying. Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not saying you're not well educated, or properly informed. But I used to say this when I was younger, and just knew less than know now, and understood the bodybuilding, hypertrophy, and strength building well enough, but not nearly as well as I understand them now.

If your goal is to be say 160lbs, and decently lean, we will say 15%. Well if you weigh 160lbs currently, and are just looking to "tone up", let's say get leaner, or appear more physically defined. Well you can do that at your current weight without bulking up, but I can almost guarantee you, the you are going to lose weight, and probably wind up weighing closer to 150lbs or so. People also think that they will inadvertently 'bulk up' if they lift too much, or too heavy, etc. It's not necessarily incredibly difficult to do, but you also can't do it by accident. It takes a lot of dedication, proper nutrition, consistency, and the correct type of programming, and even then people often stall, and plateau and either need to reassess what they are doing, or hire a very experienced coach that can take them from beginner to intermediate, or intermediate to advanced, in order go really bulk up, or continue to increase their strength, etc.

So, I would find someone you want to look like and start there, having a specific goal in mind, especially if there is an actual image of the physique you desire, getting there will be a lot easier.

Here's an example of some celebrities that 'bulked up'.

So all of these celebrities 'bulked up', but I would say none of them really got that big, with the exception of Cavill. In doing so, they each probably added anywhere from 15-30lbs+ of muscle. So not that you want to look like any of them, or have their specific amount of muscle, level of definition, et cetera. But if you're looking to be more 'toned', you might have to add more muscle than you might think in order to do so.

How big are you talking? Because between the two, the real life image is 100% attainable, relatively easily without any type of PEDs. The second, it's a bit hard to tell, but the human body is capable of getting pretty big, and pretty jacked without the use of PEDs, but without knowing exactly how large the second CGI image is (meaning if he is 6'6" to 5'8") it's hard to say for sure. But I would say that the second CGI image is probably right on that border of being possible/not possible. Not the level of definition, but size.

Well if you're looking to 'tone' up, you need to add muscle, it's fairly difficult to do one without the other. Also, I wonder what you consider "bulking up"? People often say this, without really understanding what they're saying. Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not saying you're not well educated, or properly informed. But I used to say this when I was younger, and just knew less than know now, and understood the bodybuilding, hypertrophy, and strength building well enough, but not nearly as well as I understand them now.

If your goal is to be say 160lbs, and decently lean, we will say 15%. Well if you weigh 160lbs currently, and are just looking to "tone up", let's say get leaner, or appear more physically defined. Well you can do that at your current weight without bulking up, but I can almost guarantee you, the you are going to lose weight, and probably wind up weighing closer to 150lbs or so. People also think that they will inadvertently 'bulk up' if they lift too much, or too heavy, etc. It's not necessarily incredibly difficult to do, but you also can't do it by accident. It takes a lot of dedication, proper nutrition, consistency, and the correct type of programming, and even then people often stall, and plateau and either need to reassess what they are doing, or hire a very experienced coach that can take them from beginner to intermediate, or intermediate to advanced, in order go really bulk up, or continue to increase their strength, etc.

So, I would find someone you want to look like and start there, having a specific goal in mind, especially if there is an actual image of the physique you desire, getting there will be a lot easier.

So all of these celebrities 'bulked up', but I would say none of them really got that big, with the exception of Cavill. In doing so, they each probably added anywhere from 15-30lbs+ of muscle. So not that you want to look like any of them, or have their specific amount of muscle, level of definition, et cetera. But if you're looking to be more 'toned', you might have to add more muscle than you might think in order to do so.
I suppose I’ve made the amateur mistake there of saying I want to keep the weight off. My current weight (of roughly 170lbs) isn’t the problem, though I’d not object to getting down to 150 or 160.

I have no immediate desire to look like any of the people in the photos you’ve posted. Would it be great to look like that? Sure, but that would mean a large commitment, a very strict diet and I imagine more time in the gym and a lot less time out running or cycling, which isn’t what I want.

My main goal at the moment is to get rid of some excess fat - the stuff that naturally builds up around the midsection, and I’m aware that diet comes into play more than weight training for that, but it’s still my core focus.

As far as everything else goes, I presently just want to get a better all-rounded figure with a little definition. Six packs don’t interest me.

Most people have speculated, or have just flat out pointed to the way he lifted. Ronnie is one of the strongest body builder's of all time, and one of only a handful that would be considered the strongest Mr. Olympia ever. But, in doing so, his technique is now very often called into question, and the amount of weight he lifted as well to achieve his physique.

So sadly, Ronnie's style was his downfall for why he's had so many surgeries, injuries, and why he can no longer walk without a walker/cane of some type, and most likely never will be able to do so again.
Thanks for the info. What a shame. :csad: How old is he now?

Love all your knowledge in this thread mate!

I don’t consider these guys to be “big” but I love the way they look, ripped but still otherwise looking like
regular guys. That’s what I prefer for myself. I’ve always been a bit worried about getting too big as I got muscular very young.

Thanks for the info. What a shame. :csad: How old is he now?

No problem, he's 55, will be 56 soon. He's still in damn good shape as far as his musculature for his build, but if you see him, especially trying to walk around, man he looks old.

I suppose I’ve made the amateur mistake there of saying I want to keep the weight off. My current weight (of roughly 170lbs) isn’t the problem, though I’d not object to getting down to 150 or 160.

I have no immediate desire to look like any of the people in the photos you’ve posted. Would it be great to look like that? Sure, but that would mean a large commitment, a very strict diet and I imagine more time in the gym and a lot less time out running or cycling, which isn’t what I want.

My main goal at the moment is to get rid of some excess fat - the stuff that naturally builds up around the midsection, and I’m aware that diet comes into play more than weight training for that, but it’s still my core focus.

As far as everything else goes, I presently just want to get a better all-rounded figure with a little definition. Six packs don’t interest me.

I get where you’re coming from, but here’s the thing. If you want to get rid of that excess fat on your stomach, you might have to get more lean, and more muscular than you think. It’s also not as hard (relatively speaking) as people think. I am not saying it is easy, but to get just close to looking like any of the celebrities mentioned above, isn’t nearly as hard as it is to look like one of them, or to look like a professional male fitness competitor, or bodybuilder. Again, I am not saying it is easy. But in terms of everything being relative, it is easier.

You might be surprised how lean you can get without doing as much cardio as you’re doing. To be honest, if you’re looking to lose more belly fat, yes diet is key, but switching from how much cardio you currently do, to focusing more on a better structured weight resistance program, might yield you the results you really want.

No problem, he's 55, will be 56 soon. He's still in damn good shape as far as his musculature for his build, but if you see him, especially trying to walk around, man he looks old.
Thanks. It is a shame as it's not even that old. These days I prioritise health above all so would try and get into the best possible shape while taking as few risks as possible.

I get where you’re coming from, but here’s the thing. If you want to get rid of that excess fat on your stomach, you might have to get more lean, and more muscular than you think. It’s also not as hard (relatively speaking) as people think. I am not saying it is easy, but to get just close to looking like any of the celebrities mentioned above, isn’t nearly as hard as it is to look like one of them, or to look like a professional male fitness competitor, or bodybuilder. Again, I am not saying it is easy. But in terms of everything being relative, it is easier.

You might be surprised how lean you can get without doing as much cardio as you’re doing. To be honest, if you’re looking to lose more belly fat, yes diet is key, but switching from how much cardio you currently do, to focusing more on a better structured weight resistance program, might yield you the results you really want.
I don’t think I’d have the discipline for that though, it’s sometimes bad enough me going to the gym the two or three times a week that I do, and to be honest, I enjoy cardio (of the outside variety) far too much. I almost hate going to the gym in the summer. :confused:

Maybe I’ll have to have a play about!

Have you guys slowed down going to the gym since the Coronavirus pandemic

Yeah, going to do more working out at home for now.

wish i had weights at home. Can't lift for size and bulk on just push ups and dips.

Can you order some? I got mine delivered.
I don't have the money to throw away on a full weight set at the least and optimally a bench bar. Especially when I don't even have the room

I don't have the money to throw away on a full weight set at the least and optimally a bench bar. Especially when I don't even have the room
Oh right yeah, a bench will take space. Have you got room for a barbell, or curl bar maybe. Even dumb bells. There’s still a lot you can do with dumbbells. Secondhand weights could be significantly cheaper too.

89661564_3373870305983518_363052215436312576_n.jpg

Oh right yeah, a bench will take space. Have you got room for a barbell, or curl bar maybe. Even dumb bells. There’s still a lot you can do with dumbbells. Secondhand weights could be significantly cheaper too.
Nah thays still not plausible. Especially in this case.

Nah thays still not plausible. Especially in this case.
Ah right, gotya. It is more difficult to use bodyweight exercise to build bulk admittedly. I guess it's going to have to be about maintaining gains until the situation changes. Good luck with that at least. :up:

Yeah if I lose mass I lose mass. Won't be the end of the world for me. It's not like I'm a bodybuilder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"