The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

Dude, that's... Why?!?! Think about all those (dairy) cheeses: blue cheese, parmesan, Gouda, cream cheese, Provolone, Camembert. I'm already drooling.

BUT: I'll admit that the vegan version of certain things taste way better. I was gifted an almond milk Camembert cheese and it was delicious, also the almond milk mozzarella.

Why? Short (honest) answer, I’m fed up being fat, feeling unwell and being depressed because of it...
Amusing answer? I want to properly fit into my Spidey suit and all my other cosplay outfits currently languishing in my wardrobe!

I love, and I mean love cheese. But like I said before, the time when I was at my lightest, fittest and strongest was when I was vegetarian and dairy free. Along with a lot of sessions at the gym of course!

Surely everything (including cheese and meat) is fine in moderation. I'd say it's simply madness to cut it out entirely.

I could possibly go vegetarian if I needed too, or pescatarian, but full vegan? I'd genuinely struggle. What do vegans put in sandwiches? Grass?

@Flash525
Watch The Game Changers and What the Health on Netflix and get back to me...

Our bodies are geared more towards a plant based diet than meat. And I don’t mean we should be eating grass!
We are not even omnivores, meat is actually not particularly good for us and many plant based foods have as good a protein ratio than meat, if not better.
People go on about us needing to eat meat to be “as strong as an ox”
Well, how much meat does an ox eat?

Last edited:
@Flash525
One of them had Arnie in it, doesn't it? If it's the same one I started to watch some weeks ago, I found it very preachy.

Edit: Speaking or Arnie, he's not a Vegan. He posted on Instagram about it, simply stating that he's significantly reduced his meat intake, not that he's avoiding it altogether.

One of them had Arnie in it, doesn't it? If it's the same one I started to watch some weeks ago, I found it very preachy.

Edit: Speaking or Arnie, he's not a Vegan. He posted on Instagram about it, simply stating that he's significantly reduced his meat intake, not that he's avoiding it altogether.

This is what I found out about Arnie’s diet...
Arnold Schwarzenegger Hates Cow’s Milk (and Loves Almond Milk)

Short version: The only thing he eats which is not vegan are eggs.

To my mind, if being (almost) totally vegan is good enough for Arnie and actual athletes, it’s good enough for me.

I don’t wanna get on a high horse or anything, but there are things in meat that are just not good for our bodies and as I’m getting on the older side now, I want to give myself the best chance of staying active and healthy for as long as possible...!

But I will always love cheese... :D

Last edited:
This is what I found out about Arnie’s diet...
Arnold Schwarzenegger Hates Cow’s Milk (and Loves Almond Milk)

Short version: The only thing he eats which is not vegan are eggs.
He ate Turkey on Thanksgiving. :p

To my mind, if being (almost) totally vegan is good enough for Arnie and actual athletes, it’s good enough for me.
That makes sense until you factor in these guys have all got professional dieticians, physiotherapists and personal doctors to help them on their way.

I don’t wanna get on a high horse or anything, but there are things in meat that are just not good for our bodies and as I’m getting on the older side now, I want to give myself the best chance of staying active and healthy for as long as possible...!
I thought that was primarily red meat, which oddly, I think I could give up; I'd still be able to eat Chicken, Fish & Pork.

Fish however is prominently said to be good for us however, and yet isn't acceptable within a vegan diet.

I’ve been studying diet and nutrition as part of my fitness journey since the early 2000’s and have a fairly good idea of what I should be doing for myself.
But I haven’t been good at following my knowledge for the last 18 months or so! Hence my current predicament...

@Flash525

Our bodies are geared more towards a plant based diet than meat. And I don’t mean we should be eating grass!
We are not even omnivores, meat is actually not particularly good for us and many plant based foods have as good a protein ratio than meat, if not better.
People go on about us needing to eat meat to be “as strong as an ox”
Well, how much meat does an ox eat?

How do you mean Exactly? In all the info I have come across it says that animal protein is "better" than plant based. And by better I mean that in order to get the same effect you need to eat a bigger amount of plant protein vs animal protein. You also sometimes need to combine plant proteins to gett the full effect.
This does not however, mean that you can't perform as an athlete on the highest level.

How do you mean Exactly? In all the info I have come across it says that animal protein is "better" than plant based. And by better I mean that in order to get the same effect you need to eat a bigger amount of plant protein vs animal protein. You also sometimes need to combine plant proteins to gett the full effect.
This does not however, mean that you can't perform as an athlete on the highest level.

I can’t remember the specifics, but there are compounds in meat that contribute to inflammation of tissues in the body, leading to decreased blood flow, this does not happen when you get your nutrients from a plant based diet. Also a mainly meat based diet leads to a high concentration of LDL cholesterol, whereas a plant based diet is high in HDL cholesterol.
LDL is bad and is what builds up in the arteries causing narrowing and eventually blockages.

Again, I don’t want to be preachy about this. I always say to people, do your own research and act accordingly on what you find out in the way you consider to be best for you...

I can’t remember the specifics, but there are compounds in meat that contribute to inflammation of tissues in the body, leading to decreased blood flow, this does not happen when you get your nutrients from a plant based diet. Also a mainly meat based diet leads to a high concentration of LDL cholesterol, whereas a plant based diet is high in HDL cholesterol.
LDL is bad and is what builds up in the arteries causing narrowing and eventually blockages.

Again, I don’t want to be preachy about this. I always say to people, do your own research and act accordingly on what you find out in the way you consider to be best for you...
Well yeah, when it comes to stuff other than buidling muscle I am sure you are correct. It's not something I have read much about honestly.
I mean, I know what you "should" eat to have a healthy lifestyle but not so much about the details of it all.

Short of the minced meat I have in my freezer at the moment, I'm going to try and go a few months without it. I don't eat red meat much anyway, save for pizza toppings, burgers and chillis, but I can easily supplement beef burgers for chicken and/or pulled pork (both are white meat and better for you than red - apparently).

I suppose I could use minced chicken or pork for chillis, and pepperoni is pork, so my pizza menu isn't going to suffer. No meatballs or steaks though.

Again, I don't eat that much red meat as it is, so I'm not expecting big changes, but it's something. Never am I going to give up meat entirely though. Chicken, Pork and Fish need to be consumed; especially fish. That's supposed to be really good for us.

Edit: As much as it's true that if you eat your greens you have a healthy body, but we all need a healthy mind too, and we get that through chocolate and cakes (amongst other things). Vegan cakes limit choice, and I don't like limited choice. :p

C8F1B624-E122-4359-9EE5-729F9F9F2599.png
It’s official, I am a sad old git... :hehe:
Even more so as I got very excited on this find in the supermarket earlier!
63B09E50-C1ED-4095-A094-1EC12E0D10F0.jpeg

Just had my third weekly weigh-in since I (re)started exercising, eating better, logging meals etc.
I have lost just over 4 pounds each week, so a total weight loss thus far of around 12.2 lbs in three weeks. For those of us that prefer metric, thats 5.5 Kg. :cwink:

Let’s see what next week brings.

Edit
I have either hijacked or given this thread the kiss of death. Either way, sorry... :eek:

Last edited:
I have gone mostly plant based, with only exceptions being eggs and fish as well as limits on grains for a few years and noticed an enormous decrease in inflammation. But I went crazy in December/January of this year even going to fast food once or twice a week and eating most anything I have wanted. As a result I have felt like I aged 20 years in the past month and a half. It tasted good to eat junk food. But I have to go back to the way things were. With spring around the corner, that should help. This has been a cold winter and I have sworn off the gym in the pandemic. No exercise led me to not eat as well. Looking forward to exercising outside in the warmer weather again.

Ran out of protein powder tonight. Managed to get a replacement through Amazon which should be delivered tomorrow. But my, did it make a dent in my wallet...

Just combining a couple of posts that I meant to post in here that ended up in a different thread by accident:

My cat’s been in and out of the vets and I can only go running in the morning before work. Plus the appointments have often been very early when I would usually be sleeping so my sleep schedule has also been off, meaning I haven’t felt like running on weekends either. Hopefully will be able to start again ASAP although still have a few appointments left.

I’ve never worried about weight. Never had that feeling of being happy at losing a pound lol. I prefer having a solid build so I’m more interested in cutting what I do have and don’t mind if that means more weight. I only do cardio for health reasons and the rewarding feeling I get from it. In terms of getting in shape aesthetically diet and weight training have always been the key for me.

Ran out of protein powder tonight. Managed to get a replacement through Amazon which should be delivered tomorrow. But my, did it make a dent in my wallet...
They’re pretty good value I think. Protein bars or one off protein shakes cost a fortune but the massive powder containers seem to last for ages.

I have tried several different protein bars and other products over the years, mostly out of curiosity, but I pretty much only use regular whey.

I’m using chocolate flavoured pea protein at the moment. Tastes amazing with milk and takes away my otherwise uncontrollable cravings for eating real chocolate. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"