The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

Finally made some treats that can keep me in keto.
Almond bread and chocolate chip cookies.
View attachment 45364
No photo of the almond bread though, sorry...
I see your cookies, and I raise you millionaire shortbread.

There's nothing healthy about it, but it tastes sooo good (soul food) and it's made with love.

what's tracking your steps Iceman?
i've got an apple watch. just curious what you (and everyone else) are using
I have a Garmin Edge that I record all my activities too, and then upload to Strava. My steps aren't uploaded to Strava, they just stay on my garmin for reference.

I see your cookies, and I raise you millionaire shortbread.

There's nothing healthy about it, but it tastes sooo good (soul food) and it's made with love.

I have a Garmin Edge that I record all my activities too, and then upload to Strava. My steps aren't uploaded to Strava, they just stay on my garmin for reference.
Ha, looks great. Strava doesn’t cover steps does it?

Ha, looks great. Strava doesn’t cover steps does it?

As @Flash525 said...
Not steps per se, but it does have a walking mode.
But I’ve found Runkeeper to be far better at calculating distances and calories expended. It also splits each mile so that you know just how fast (or slow!) you’re going...!

First run in a while amongst all these steps lol. 3.1 miles.

what's tracking your steps Iceman?
i've got an apple watch. just curious what you (and everyone else) are using

I use the Under Armour app on my phone, I think it's called Under Armour Map My Walk(?)

I don't know how precise it is in tracking the number of steps you make, but it does tell you after you've completed your walk/run.

I mainly use it to track the route I took & the overall distance as the map tracking is very precise & it highlights it nicely over a Google Map, but it gives you all sorts of statistics at the end from duration, average pace, distance covered, calories burned, steps, elevation etc.

Nice. Is that something you do regularly?

I just started it. Wanted to do something different to change up my routine, plus I’m pretty out of shape. It’s hard doing an intense workout while wearing a mask though. Had to step outside of the gym a few times to get some fresh air to breathe.

I just started it. Wanted to do something different to change up my routine, plus I’m pretty out of shape. It’s hard doing an intense workout while wearing a mask though. Had to step outside of the gym a few times to get some fresh air to breathe.
Oh you have to wear a mask, didn't think of that. Can imagine that makes it harder. Maybe you can take what you learn and practise it at home. I use a heavy bag (floorstanding) to practise on but you can shadow box/kick too and it's a great workout.

Honestly, any gym or workout area that has people wear masks shouldn't really be in operation; surely there's a risk factor involved in that?

It goes without saying that if you exercise, you breath heavier, so why would anyone in their right mind want to restrict that? :confused:

That's crazy you've to wear a mask while exercising, I couldn't put up with it.. especially not now given my current fitness levels. :D

I've yet to be back in my gym since it's reopened, however my understanding is the equipment is all socially distanced if that makes any sort of sense & for things like free weights have marked areas on the gym floor where you take your weights to & can do whatever you want.

While you're in these marked areas exercising you don't need to wear a mask, however when you leave the areas to collect/return equipment or walking to use another piece of equipment, you have to wear a mask, which IMO is reasonable.

Well it’s a fitness class so I’m in close quarters with other people...definitely not social distancing. Today’s class wasn’t that bad. It was still intense but I could breathe better even with the mask on. I think that since I knew what to expect (thanks to Saturday’s class) my head was in a better place and I paced myself better.

It goes without saying that if you exercise, you breath heavier, so why would anyone in their right mind want to restrict that? :confused:

Perhaps you aren't aware, but that’s actually a thing. People use masks to simulate being in a higher altitude for whatever reason. I'm not sure if the science backs it up though.

Perhaps you aren't aware, but that’s actually a thing. People use masks to simulate being in a higher altitude for whatever reason. I'm not sure if the science backs it up though.
Oh I'm aware of that practise, but that's the extremes. There's no sense to be doing it for martial arts. That's just (in my opinion) a tad stupid.

I go to the office twice a week (the firm pays for my Uber) but for my own sake (physical and mental) I walk back home - it takes me about 2 hours (it's an 8km walk - give it or take) and I can say that I'm in a much better place now: both my mood and energy improved a lot.

My energy levels were LOW all the time (no matter how many hours of sleep I'd get), I was feeling unmotivated rather than "depressed".

I know that walking is not always a possibility, or it may not sound super exciting to everyone, but it really does help. And, I don't know about you guys: but it's not my body that worries me the most right now, but my mind does.

I go to the office twice a week (the firm pays for my Uber) but for my own sake (physical and mental) I walk back home - it takes me about 2 hours (it's an 8km walk - give it or take) and I can say that I'm in a much better place now: both my mood and energy improved a lot.

My energy levels were LOW all the time (no matter how many hours of sleep I'd get), I was feeling unmotivated rather than "depressed".

I know that walking is not always a possibility, or it may not sound super exciting to everyone, but it really does help. And, I don't know about you guys: but it's not my body that worries me the most right now, but my mind does.

I have learnt that in terms of fat loss, general fitness improvement and lack of impact injury, walking is pretty much at the top of the list of things to do.
Twas quite a revelation for me...
Keep at it @MissMarvelous87

Really? It was a revelation for me, as well!!

You know how I have been trying to get back into shape since the beginning of February.
I lost all of my unwanted weight, with the exception of a couple of pounds, by just using a x-trainer in my workshop and going for walks, doing both every day.

Oh yeah, and logging all of my exercise and food using MFP.
Can't rate their website highly enough!

Last edited:
Quick update. Because I know how much you all love my posts in here... :yuk:

Have been back at my gym for about three weeks or so, trying to build my lost muscle back up and continue to lose body fat. It is slow progress, as expected, being so close to my body fat percentage goal. But I am gradually building back muscle while still losing body fat.

With the aid of a body scanner at my gym, which uses the electrical impedance thingies to estimate body fat, muscle etc.
I have managed to get from a starting body fat of 17.6% (10th April) to 12.9% (7th May)
Now while I do not necessarily believe the figures are totally accurate, I do believe there is a downward trend going on. Which is exactly what I am trying to do.
Because I am a curious fellow, I wanted to know what my starting body fat was and I found an online calculator that put me somewhere between
33-37%.

No wonder I felt like crap!

I am saving up for a DEXA body scan which I hope to get done within the next 4 weeks or so. As I have heard it is one of the most accurate ways to determine ones subcutaneous and visceral body fat...

Weight loss MFP.PNG
Here is my weight loss since the 1st of February, courtesy of MFP...
Ignore everything since before then. As my weight recorded is what it was from around 2012 or thereabouts when I lost my previous fatness!!!
Apologies, I may have posted a similar image a while back.

Last edited:
I've cleared a load of space in my lounge and brought the punchbag a bit closer to the centre of the room. Now I'm using it all the time lol as it's so convenient, asking to be attacked at any moment.

Nice, when I go to the office my walk is 1.5 hours, but on the way there I take a longer route which is 2 hours so I go through parks and canals rather than on the main road. On the way back I stick to the direct route as it doesn't feel as safe in quiet places at that time (usually start between 9.30pm to 1opm) and also the parks are closed and some of the canals closed off. Walking is a big part of my life, absolutely love it!

Glad to hear you are feeling better after doing this. I am trying to design a London walk where you see every major (and minor) landmark in a day, all through walking. :D

I've done heavy bag workouts with high altitude masks on before & to say it wasn't fun, puts it mildly.

I have no doubts wearing them while you exercise can elevate people's fitness & oxygen usage, however I think it's something for people in much more advanced stages fitness to take it to the next level as opposed to beginner, occasional or maybe even intermediate gym users.

I've done heavy bag workouts with high altitude masks on before & to say it wasn't fun, puts it mildly.

I have no doubts wearing them while you exercise can elevate people's fitness & oxygen usage, however I think it's something for people in much more advanced stages fitness to take it to the next level as opposed to beginner, occasional or maybe even intermediate gym users.
It makes sense if you are going to be competing in an Olympics at altitude or are a mountain climber, and want to do workouts at the top of the mountain. Otherwise not too relevant for people who haven't worked out for a year on their first gym session back lol. I'll probably wait till restrictions are lifted more before doing anything like that as I'm doing pretty well with my home and park exercise at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"