The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Thread Manager, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

My morning runs are normally before any food and water and I’ve never felt like I needed water during the run. More like eventual heat exhaustion from being out in the sun. Although maybe water would have helped with that.

2. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Yeah, just like you I never really get thirsty during my runs, a little dry mouthed sometimes though but that's all. So I've also never brought any water with me for my runs. So I also don't know what kind of difference it might make.

Iceman likes this.
  3. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

5.4 miles today. Again cut off early by sun even though it’s only 9.30am!

RetrogradeOrbit likes this.
  4. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Challenging set of squats in the evening too which I might feel during tomorrow’s run!

RetrogradeOrbit and gohei_ like this.
  5. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

5.4 miles today and continuing the pace improvement. Didn’t really feel the effect of the squats too much which is great.

6. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

@Iceman
    Give it time, squats always have a way of catching up with one... :wow:

I've changed up the leg portions of my gym exercise regime. Swapping out the leg machines for good old fashioned lunges and squats with weights of course. :cwink:
    Did that for the first time on Monday, still feeling the effects today.

Edit
    In other news, I am back on the Keto and OMAD train. Having done the previous week with a much higher daily carb intake and eating three times a day.
    Apparently it is a good idea to change things up from time to time and keep ones body on its toes...

Iceman likes this.
  7. MissMarvelous Registered

Serious question: why not a regular healthy and balanced diet? I get it that some may diet for different reasons and have a deadline (or a goal and a date to achieve it), just don't get why would put yourself through a restrictive (?) diet. It's not just for fun, I take it.

Or is it that you get used it? eventually.

8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I can feel the effects during the day but for some reason it didn’t affect my run today. I’m not going to complain as I thought it was going to be a poor session. It’s only the heat that’s killing me off, but still seeing some progress.

Cool, squats and lunges are amazing exercises.

9. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

I was going to give my trademark glib and witty response to this, but thought that I would actually give a proper answer. Hence the spoiler tags as it is going to be on the lengthy side! :D

But, here is my short answer in case you don’t wanna read the details!

No, it’s not for the fun of it!

The ketogenic way of eating can seem restrictive. Ultimately it is just about keeping your carbohydrate intake levels low enough so that you put your body into a state of ketosis, essentially you make your body burn fat for fuel rather than glucose. Couple that with ensuring you are in a daily calorie deficit and you are basically guaranteeing to lose body fat.

Eating one meal a day (OMAD) or, a more accurate description, feeding myself once a day. Actually let's call it what it is, intermittent fasting.
    I have been using this in tandem with keto to accelerate fat burning. It has also been shown to decrease insulin resistance, improve metabolism, reduce inflammation throughout the body and more.

Yes, I have to be careful with what I allow myself to eat as I want to keep within the macro nutrition levels I set for myself. So, I guess in the strictest meaning of the word “restrictive” you are correct. However, I see it simply as choosing a healthier lifestyle.

It is actually a healthy and quite balanced diet. I even manage to hit my recommended potassium intake most days!

But it does take some getting used to. I do miss bread (and toast!). Which is why I now own several ketogenic cook books and am building my own recipe binder book with ketogenic recipes for bread, cookies, fat bombs, crackers and so on that I have found on-line and printed off.

So to give some context.
    Back in January I was at my lowest ebb for years. Partly due to the pandemic situation and lockdowns. But as far as I am concerned, this is still something of an excuse rather than a reason as I should have known better. I am reasonably knowledgeable about fitness, exercise and nutrition and should not have allowed myself to get into the situation where I was:
    · 45+ pounds overweight
    · Borderline high blood pressure
    · Resting heart rate in the mid to high 80’s
    · Almost constant heartburn
    · Aching joints
    · Vastly increased tinnitus
    · Headaches
    · Increased insomnia
    · Constantly tired

I also put myself at much higher risk of:
    · Stroke
    · Heart disease
    · Type 2 diabetes
    · Fatty liver
    · Kidney disease
    · Gallbladder problems
    · Sleep apnoea and breathing problems
    · High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol
    · Some cancers
    · And more

By the end of January, I decided enough was enough and took the 1st of February as the start of my life change. It helped, in my mind anyway, that this was also a Monday!

Because gyms were still closed, I needed to do something else to kick start my fitness comeback. My workshop has a cross trainer which has barely been used in the 18 months since I bought it off of eBay! So there was a thing I could do.

My research indicated that walking would be a good thing to do too. As it turns out, walking is one of the best, if not the best exercise for burning fat.

And I started a planned programme of:
    · Cross trainer (early AM) for between 60-90 minutes at moderate effort
    · Walking @ 4mph (afternoons) minimum 4 miles, up to 12 miles (dependant on time available)
    · Cross trainer (evenings) for between 60-90 minutes at moderate effort

This may seem like a lot to do after a year or more of nothing, but that’s just how I am. I don’t recommend it for everybody, you have to decide what your own limits are and gently push beyond them.

The first few weeks I was so terrified of finding out how much I actually weighed that I got my partner to record my weight every Monday and record it in a diary that she would then hide! I just didn’t want to get disheartened by knowing how overweight I was and how little I was losing. My guess was that I was about 180 pounds (82Kg).

I reactivated my MyFitnessPal account so that I could track my food intake and exercise, thereby ensuring I stayed in a calorie deficit and within my defined macro nutrient levels. Low carbohydrate, moderate protein, high fat.
    This ended up being around:
    · 10% Carbohydrate
    · 20% Protein
    · 70% Fat

I didn’t always hit this, but as long as I was somewhere near, I didn’t stress too much about it. The main thing was that I was in a massive calorie deficit week to week. Usually I would manage to be under by an average of 10,000 calories a week. But bear in mind that this was including calories I had burnt through exercising. So most days I was actually eating up to my baseline of 1200 calories daily.

After a month, I decided to look at the weighing that had been getting recorded. My starting weight was 183 pounds (83Kg) and on the 1st of March I had gotten that down to 163 pounds (74Kg).

My target was 140 pounds (63.5Kg) so still a long way to go. But I was pleased with my start. It took about 6 weeks until I did not feel like the cross trainer was going to kill me. And it was around the same time that I began to feel physically, and now thinking about it, mentally better.

Target weight was reached on the 7th of March and I actually ended up going about 5 pounds below that. Which was not an issue as I knew that I was going to build muscle at some point and increase my weight anyway.

Around the beginning of May, I increased my daily calorie ceiling from 1200 to 1500 calories and was only keeping a little below the new limit. But I decided to stay with the ketogenic eating and one meal a day. So, it is no longer a diet in the sense of losing weight, but a diet in terms of how I choose to eat.

I have decided to occasionally ditch the ketogenic diet, about every three months or so and return to a more carbohydrate diet for a week and eating three times a day. Then returning to a ketogenic, one meal a day regime.

Actually, calling it one meal a day is not totally accurate. I should rather say that it is one feeding a day. Basically, I set myself an eating window of between 6pm-10pm or thereabouts. During this time I kind of graze, making sure I get all the nutrients I need.

While very specifically keeping away from:
    · Highly processed foods
    · Wheat
    · Gluten
    · Sugar

Since getting back to the gym on the 12th of April, I have been doing HIIT and strength training 3 days a week and the days in between I try to go for either a minimum of a 4 mile walk or an hour on the cross trainer. Sunday is now a designated rest day!

This is what has worked for me and I shall continue on the ketogenic and one feeding a day lifestyle (notice I didn’t say “diet”!) as it really suits me and I think I actually am in the best physical shape I have ever been. My strength levels need a bit more improving but that will come with time and further tweaks to my macro nutrients. For example, I have recently increased my daily protein intake to encourage better muscle growth.

I will not be offended if you find this TLDR…:hehe:

#1934 RetrogradeOrbit, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Flash525 and MissMarvelous87 like this.
  10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

5.3 miles today. More heat-affected than previous runs as I started later. Could be tough when summer really gets going. That was my 7th run in 9 days.

11. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

@Iceman
    Good man, keep going… :up:

Iceman likes this.
  12. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Is it the heat or the direct sunlight that kills you? No trails in the Woods you can run to get some shade from The trees?

13. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

A bit of both, although the direct sunlight is the main culprit. On my last couple of laps, every time I run through a part with no shade at all I can feel myself getting fatigued. There are canals which might have better cover but I’d have to run out in the open and main roads just to get to them lol. Part of the problems of living in a busy city centre. I’ll incorporate that into the runs to work when I start doing that again regularly.

14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

3.8 miles today at the worst time of day (just couldn’t get up earlier lol) although wasn’t quite as blazing as previous days. Still felt a slight twinge at the end so walked the rest of it. Not going to let any avoidable overuse injuries get in the way so might be time for a day of rest (from running only) after 8 runs in 10 days.

15. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Maybe you have already mentioned it, but why not run during the evening?
    I see. Hard to avoid the sun then I suppose.

Iceman likes this.
  16. MissMarvelous Registered

TLDR? The Lord of Da Ring? :p

I truly admire your compromise to this awful diet - not awful at all, just kidding. Now, with this explanation, I understand better why you do it and it's a very wise choice.

I will always admire someone who sticks to a diet for life or for a VERY long time.

This OMAD, how much much do you eat? Just a regular meal or a disgusting amount of food in one sitting?

Iceman and RetrogradeOrbit like this.
  17. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

Oh, I sometimes eat an insane amount over the course of my 3-4 hour eating window… :D
    Especially when it is a gym day and I burn about an additional 1000 calories.
    Yesterday was essentially two meals and a dessert, totalling over 2000 calories and I was still 800 under!
    But I ran out of time, room in my stomach and the motivation to eat any more… :yuk:

Iceman likes this.
  18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I could I guess on weekends, but as the day goes on and I start getting involved with other stuff, the likelihood of me actually getting out there massively decreases. :D

On weekdays I work till very late (usually finish just before 10pm) and if I’m the office I run home across main roads (not ideal with traffic and multiple traffic lights and tonnes of people to weave around). If working from home I don’t run after that time. Doesn’t feel quite as safe and also just too dark to enjoy the run, plus the open areas and parks are closed.

I appreciate you trying to help find a solution though. :up:

19. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

@MissMarvelous87
    Here’s a snapshot of a typical food day for me on a gym day.
    To get the net carbs, I just subtract the fibre from the carbs. So on Monday my net carbs were 32g which I was really pleased with…
    02ECBAF5-2B11-41FA-A7B5-4573FA248678.png

#1944 RetrogradeOrbit, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  20. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Haha, I know that feeling :D

Yeah that's a fair point. I've never lived in a big city so I've never had to worry about late night traffic or strange people out and about at that time. During my evening runs I hardly ever see another person. Animals though; nothing gets your heart beating like running face first into a 500kg moose, which is just as surprised as you are :wow:

RetrogradeOrbit and Iceman like this.
  21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Wow, that sounds 20 times more awesome than anything that might happen in the city. :D

gohei_ likes this.
  22. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

The discipline is very much admirable, but damn that is a nasty diet. Hah. Sorry @RetrogradeOrbit , but there just doesn't seem to be any enjoyment in your diet.

I can appreciate a lot of it is a mindset thing, as if someone was brought up living in such a way on a ketogenic diet with no bread, sweets, sugary treats or typical carbohydrates they'd not know what they were missing out on, but you do, and that takes some doing so on that, I commend you.

What is your endgame though? Why are you restricting yourself to this degree?

RetrogradeOrbit and Iceman like this.
  23. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

New custom made Spider-Man suit… Seriously! I want a final hurrah cosplaying as the web slinger… :D
    Here’s what it should look like
    9FDE3BCD-FB4C-4B02-9C76-6A0E9620E185.png F159C85E-7F1E-4A53-910B-85B1363D8977.png
    And I want to be in the best physical state to do it justice.

But you see, I really do not feel restricted. I don’t enjoy anything with added sugar in it. I can’t remember the last time I had a fizzy drink with sugar in it.
    I enjoy my keto cookies just as much as the real thing. And I feel better knowing that there is not a bunch of sugar and processed ingredients in what I make.
    And the keto fat bombs I make are really very moreish and I can honestly say I’m not bothered not having ordinary chocolate stuff.
    My treat, if you will, is 85% dark chocolate. Which tastes quite sweet to me now. Go figure.

I do have to admit I miss bread… But I am finding better and better keto bread recipes. In fact I’m trying a new one this weekend that might prove to be the best yet. We’ll see!

The main reason (other than the suit!) why I am doing this (and intend to continue) is that I want to give my body its best chance at functioning properly when I hit my more twilight years. Which, unfortunately, are nearer than I’d like them to be…

Edit
    If I do ever really want something properly chocolate or cake? I will have it! Because I can always make up for it afterward. :up:

#1948 RetrogradeOrbit, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    gohei_, Flash525 and Iceman like this.
  24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I rounded it off to 37k steps yesterday (including my curtailed run) and am definitely taking a day off running today just in case. Going for a walk now and will do weights and some boxing later.

25. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

@Iceman
    There's just no stopping you is there...? :D
    :ali: