The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 8

@Iceman

It depends what you want out of a parkrun. If you're running it as part of a long run, then combine it with a commute there and back, but take into account that you may not be able to give it your all when participating, and you'll have to wait until the start, and then stop for a brief moment at the end. You can't just run into the park and run through the start - not unless you're late! o_O

If you're wanting to focus on that 5k speed though, I'd record it separately and make it a separate run. You can always jog there and job home, but make the parkrun your effort attempt.
Thanks for the quick response mate as I'm considering trying tomorrow, depending what time I wake up.

I was planning on walking there and then starting the park run as normal and giving it 90% effort so that I could keep warming down after that but not actually stop. With my previous 5k PB & 10k PB done in the same run a while ago I thought I was only going to do a very short distance but as I noticed it was getting faster I thought I might try beating the current crappy 5k PB which shouldn't be hard. Then as I warmed down after the 5k mark finishing the lap (as finishing at exactly the 5k mark leaves me the furthest possible from my house) I started feeling better and thought try another lap. After another lap and a half of going much slower to recover I then started getting a second wind and thought I'd try and finish a 10k and would probably be close to PB level for that too with the fast 5k to start. Turned out to be right after being helped by some chump igniting my turbo after he started his run right near the end of mine and was gearing up to overtake. :D

Anyway long story short, my plan was to start focusing on one 5k a week as a speed workout and with other people in case it made me run faster, and my question was whether I could theoretically then just jog home slowly after completing the 5k without having to stop and fill out forms or get signed out of the event or anything like that. Apologies for the strange questions. :cwink:

Anyway long story short, my plan was to start focusing on one 5k a week as a speed workout and with other people in case it made me run faster, and my question was whether I could theoretically then just jog home slowly after completing the 5k without having to stop and fill out forms or get signed out of the event or anything like that. Apologies for the strange questions.
Hah, an hour to go pal. ;)

I'm unsure whether you'll read this before your run, but in any case... I should've said yesterday but didn't think; if you create an account with parkrun, you get given a barcode which you should print out and take with you (although I believe you can simply download the app now and have it on there). You don't need anything at the start, other than to turn up, be welcomed, listen to the rules etc, and then wait for the go.

When you get to the finish you'll be given a token, and then you'll give that token to a scanning person (who will ask for your barcode). This is more for them than it is for you - to a point. The barcode gives you a recorded time and position from the parkrun team and goes on their website so you can see your time etc (it'll likely differ a few seconds compared to your recording).

You can run without a barcode, it's just for their recording purposes. If you don't have one, your position on their webpage simply reads 'unknown' where your name and other details would be. It'll just have you finish placement and finish time IIRC.

Hah, an hour to go pal. ;)

I'm unsure whether you'll read this before your run, but in any case... I should've said yesterday but didn't think; if you create an account with parkrun, you get given a barcode which you should print out and take with you (although I believe you can simply download the app now and have it on there). You don't need anything at the start, other than to turn up, be welcomed, listen to the rules etc, and then wait for the go.

When you get to the finish you'll be given a token, and then you'll give that token to a scanning person (who will ask for your barcode). This is more for them than it is for you - to a point. The barcode gives you a recorded time and position from the parkrun team and goes on their website so you can see your time etc (it'll likely differ a few seconds compared to your recording).

You can run without a barcode, it's just for their recording purposes. If you don't have one, your position on their webpage simply reads 'unknown' where your name and other details would be. It'll just have you finish placement and finish time IIRC.
Thanks for the info mate. I’d got up a little too late (not enough sleep) and sort of decided not to go till next week but saw this and am now walking to the site to at least get my bearings for next week (or run if not too late). If too late then after doing my detective work will still do a normal run anyway. Cheers!

Haha, I left it a bit too late in the end. Had to run to get there on time and along the way got a 5K PB so I’ll settle for that. By the time I got there I was too knackered to do the park run. :hehe:

Least I know where it is exactly now as I saw the big cluster of runners warming up and many others heading to it. All you said was right - better to focus just on this for Saturdays. :D :up:

Good Luck for next weekend then @Iceman

If you got a 5k PB this week, you'll get another one next week during the ParkRun. ;)

Good Luck for next weekend then @Iceman

If you got a 5k PB this week, you'll get another one next week during the ParkRun. ;)
Thanks for all the tips and encouragement mate. Looking forward to it. I’m quite happy to be seeing the kinds of times that seemed a very long away only a few months ago and hopefully can keep improving.

11.5 mile run and ran out of energy at the end (and was a bit lost) and walked the remaining 4.2 miles. Not far off 33k steps with those combined. Not bad for this time of day. :D

6.4 miles today and a 10k PB within that. Under 52 mins now on the mission for sub 50. 5.4 miles used to be my default standard distance but I try and do the extra lap now so I get a 10k in every day and there's always a chance at a PB then to make it more fun.

Did deadlifts (and pressups) last night and this morning’s run felt the impact. Stopped after 3.5 miles. Also probably needed a bit more sleep and fuel.

6.6 miles today. Gearing up for first park run on Sat.

Going to bed after 2 day’s rest. If I get enough sleep and feel good in the morning will try and make it to the park run properly.

Got only 2 hours sleep but made it there and very glad to finish my first park run! Really strange on the time front as I felt very slow and didn’t/couldn’t push at any stage and still went from 8.10 average split last week (on the way to the park run) to 7.47 this week. The course is 2 laps and feels like most of it is 2 sloping gradual uphills and down hills across each quarter so I felt it hard to get going (which I usually do after being on a flat straight for long enough). It was only the times on my watch that gave any hint that I was going faster than normal throughout and I guess it shows how different it is running with a large group of other people rather than on your own with no in-your-face motivation to constantly push you. That 8.10 last week felt really fast whereas this run felt really slow. :D

Despite that time being a big improvement it feels like I could go massively faster when I can run rather than jog the whole way and also the beginning was a pileup where it was hard to go beyond walking pace till the pack cleared out after about 40 seconds. @Flash525 was right about getting a PB this week regardless of everything - just the difference of having continuous motivation to keep the pace up. I really enjoyed it and will definitely be going back, hopefully after getting proper sleep and seeing further improvement which feeds into the pace for the longer runs.

@Iceman why only two hours sleep dude?

It's great that you're managing to be this active, but you've gotta' take care of yourself too. You're running a lot, and sometimes walking loads too.

If you're pushing yourself too much, that's gunna catch up to you eventually. Being fit and healthy is more than the ability to run. Gotta eat and sleep right too.

You have days off, right? Like days where you don't do anything active (aside from maybe a 5k walk?)

@Iceman why only two hours sleep dude?

It's great that you're managing to be this active, but you've gotta' take care of yourself too. You're running a lot, and sometimes walking loads too.

If you're pushing yourself too much, that's gunna catch up to you eventually. Being fit and healthy is more than the ability to run. Gotta eat and sleep right too.

You have days off, right? Like days where you don't do anything active (aside from maybe a 5k walk?)
Thanks for that. Yeah I had the last 2 days off completely ahead of this and in future will at least have Fridays off. My bodyclock is just set for later as my work hours are US Eastern time and I only contemplated doing these park runs since I started getting up earlier, but I’m still in the transitional phase and last night couldn’t sleep even though I went to bed early. Went to bed at 11pm but couldn’t sleep till 5am and got up at 7am, maybe too excited about the thought of getting to the race.

I’ll have to look at everything and figure out exactly why as sleep is crucial and I’m doing all this for health above all. Been asleep since getting back from the cinema till now and hopefully my cycle corrects and gets back to normal from tomorrow or asap (3 day weekend for me). I’m still planning out exactly the timings of when best to run and when best to do leg/lower back weights exercises around the week, especially with going back to the office 2/3 days a week from next week. Thanks a lot for the concern and tips and I agree and will only plan and do what I feel is sustainable long term for exercise, diet and sleep.

Felt rejuvenated after a very long sleep but forgot the menace of the sun today. Cut my run short (5k) as a result and will have to remember to avoid running around midday.

Quite a good day for me today. Last weekend I signed up to my first event 10k since March 2020, and today it took place, and I smashed any expectations I had set for myself. :eek:

Most of my runs this past year have been between 7:45mins per mile, and 8mins per mile. Nothing spectacular when my PB was a sub 7min mile 10k. The past two weeks I've done two runs at a slightly quicker pace - 7:30mins per mile.

Today I intended to match the 7:30mins per mile pace. Ended up doing 7:12mins per mile. Never thought I had it in me, but with the crowd support and fellow runners, it was all go. Tough, but I stuck with it. Those last 2k had me pondering what I'd signed up for! o_O

And if that wasn't enough, got home, took the bike out for a 40mile spin. :cool: Think I'll have to hit the gym tomorrow. Upper body. Nothing left in the legs after today. o_O

Felt rejuvenated after a very long sleep but forgot the menace of the sun today. Cut my run short (5k) as a result and will have to remember to avoid running around midday.
I make it a habit of not running between 11am and 4pm during the summer. I just don't function well in the heat when I'm running. Never have. :(

Quite a good day for me today. Last weekend I signed up to my first event 10k since March 2020, and today it took place, and I smashed any expectations I had set for myself. :eek:

Most of my runs this past year have been between 7:45mins per mile, and 8mins per mile. Nothing spectacular when my PB was a sub 7min mile 10k. The past two weeks I've done two runs at a slightly quicker pace - 7:30mins per mile.

Today I intended to match the 7:30mins per mile pace. Ended up doing 7:12mins per mile. Never thought I had it in me, but with the crowd support and fellow runners, it was all go. Tough, but I stuck with it. Those last 2k had me pondering what I'd signed up for! o_O

And if that wasn't enough, got home, took the bike out for a 40mile spin. :cool: Think I'll have to hit the gym tomorrow. Upper body. Nothing left in the legs after today. o_O

I make it a habit of not running between 11am and 4pm during the summer. I just don't function well in the heat when I'm running. Never have. :(
That’s amazing! Just saw it on Strava. I’ve been worried about your injury but maybe you are getting past it now in light of this. Who goes for a bike ride to get more exercise straight after a race. :hehe:

I’ve found how much difference fellow runners can make after even running what felt very slowly was a big PB for me. A good thing to do reasonably regularly to push out the best times and make real progress. Anyway seriously happy for you dude!! :up:

I’m terrible in the sun. I’m fine in the cold and even torrential rain (as long as the ground isn’t slippery). On my 3rd mile I just wilted and it became a struggle just making it to the 5k distance. Only the sun does that to me. It wasn’t even anywhere near as hot as that heatwave earlier in summer but I guess I didn’t expect it as I had kind of mentally written summer off as over.

With my work hours and sleep times, it can be a choice of running in the heat or not at all if I don’t get up early enough (definitely on work days anyway). The other concern I had about straight avoiding the sun was what if I got myself to a great level and then my first long race happened to take place on a very hot day. I would have no conditioning for it right?

i put on a pair of jeans this morning for work and they were far looser than i recall. i had to tighten my belt!
i think i am thisclose to dropping a pants size :fingerscrossed:

That’s amazing! Just saw it on Strava. I’ve been worried about your injury but maybe you are getting past it now in light of this. Who goes for a bike ride to get more exercise straight after a race.
Oh, the injuries are still very much present, they're just manageable right now, and it's not as though I'm pushing the distances. I think because I'm limiting myself to one run a week and (generally) maintaining the distance between 5 and 6 miles, my body, or rather, the injuries have (somewhat) adapted. My foot is a little tender today, but I can walk about just fine.

As for the bike ride... it wasn't straight after. :p Probably a good 3-4hrs between. It was simply too nice of an afternoon not to head out on it, and it helped loosen up the quads.

I’ve found how much difference fellow runners can make after even running what felt very slowly was a big PB for me. A good thing to do reasonably regularly to push out the best times and make real progress. Anyway seriously happy for you dude!!
Indeed. That's where the park runs are great, because it's only 5k, it's not (meant to be) competitive, but it gives you a taste of what it's like to run amongst other people.

I’m terrible in the sun. I’m fine in the cold and even torrential rain (as long as the ground isn’t slippery). On my 3rd mile I just wilted and it became a struggle just making it to the 5k distance. Only the sun does that to me. It wasn’t even anywhere near as hot as that heatwave earlier in summer but I guess I didn’t expect it as I had kind of mentally written summer off as over.
Aye, I can do the cold - to some extent. If anything, sometimes I can't feel my fingers by the end of it, but that depends on just how cold we're talking, hah. Gloves don't always cut it apparently. I generally don't run in the rain though, at least not intentionally. If I'm out on a run and it starts raining, I'll usually stick with it, but if it's hammering down before I even get going, I don't even bother. :eek:

With my work hours and sleep times, it can be a choice of running in the heat or not at all if I don’t get up early enough (definitely on work days anyway). The other concern I had about straight avoiding the sun was what if I got myself to a great level and then my first long race happened to take place on a very hot day. I would have no conditioning for it right?
That's some good logic, though (most) races take place in the morning, and depending when [said] event is taking place, you'd have a rough idea of what the weather will be doing; if you sign up to an event in February, April or October, it'll be cooler than May, August and September, generally speaking.

Tried waiting for the heat to go today but it stayed hot till late and then fell asleep for a bit (day off work today) and then didn’t end up going at all lol. Actually it’s not just the ruined runs that is the problem from heat, it’s also being knackered for the rest of the day.

Going to the office tomorrow so will have to do some prep and have some plans in place for running/walking to the gym near work and then using the gym and then walking/running home. Will have to see how it all feels after so long out and skip the gym (outside of shower and getting changed) or walk instead of run where necessary.

Oh, the injuries are still very much present, they're just manageable right now, and it's not as though I'm pushing the distances. I think because I'm limiting myself to one run a week and (generally) maintaining the distance between 5 and 6 miles, my body, or rather, the injuries have (somewhat) adapted. My foot is a little tender today, but I can walk about just fine.

As for the bike ride... it wasn't straight after. :p Probably a good 3-4hrs between. It was simply too nice of an afternoon not to head out on it, and it helped loosen up the quads.

Indeed. That's where the park runs are great, because it's only 5k, it's not (meant to be) competitive, but it gives you a taste of what it's like to run amongst other people.

Aye, I can do the cold - to some extent. If anything, sometimes I can't feel my fingers by the end of it, but that depends on just how cold we're talking, hah. Gloves don't always cut it apparently. I generally don't run in the rain though, at least not intentionally. If I'm out on a run and it starts raining, I'll usually stick with it, but if it's hammering down before I even get going, I don't even bother. :eek:

That's some good logic, though (most) races take place in the morning, and depending when [said] event is taking place, you'd have a rough idea of what the weather will be doing; if you sign up to an event in February, April or October, it'll be cooler than May, August and September, generally speaking.
Oh right. Can this thing last for years? Seriously annoying but great that you have managed to find ways to work around it without aggravating it and still pull out great race performances.

Haha, awesome day of exercise.

Yeah the park run is a great thing for me. The people at the front I imagine are competing harder which could be useful in the long term future and the general standard of men is higher than mine right now judging by where I finished (amongst men). But at the same time you have a great mix of people there with many who are just trying to finish so the pressure is a fun pressure rather than finishing 20 minutes behind in a 10k of hardcore runners. I got overtaken by at least 10 guys who looked at least 60, many girls/women of varying ages and even a guy pushing a pushchair! Was all part of the fun. :D

The last half I did was hardcore rain throughout and I kind of enjoyed it. Also cleared everyone else out of the way so no weaving around people required. :D: A slippery surface though make me want to cancel the run if still a chance to do so.

Ah that makes sense. I'll do the park runs year round as they're only 5k but for longer distances I'll keep an eye on month/season of race and start (and likely end) time.

i put on a pair of jeans this morning for work and they were far looser than i recall. i had to tighten my belt!
i think i am thisclose to dropping a pants size :fingerscrossed:
Always a great sign! Well done :up:

Oh right. Can this thing last for years? Seriously annoying but great that you have managed to find ways to work around it without aggravating it and still pull out great race performances.
It's like any injury; if you don't take time to heal up and force yourself through the pain, it's not going to get better by miracle.

Plantar Fasciitis and Patellar Tendinous can both become chronic if they're worked too hard - sometimes people just strain or injure their Plantar Fasciitis or Patellar Tendon, and with rest and physiotherapy it sorts itself out and fixes up nicely (although sometimes there's an underlying weakness there).

If on the other hand, like what I've done with my knee, you push through it, it then becomes chronic, which is a longer recovery time and the potential to do severe damage (to the point that it's almost impossible to repair without surgery). I think because I'm weary of, and limiting my runs, both issues are manageable. I get good days and bad with both, but considering I'm walking around just fine now after pushing through the event on Sunday and there's hardly any pain or discomfort, something's gotta be working right.

I just need to maintain the mindset not to suddenly jump back into doing 3x 10k's a week, cause that's just not practical, and as much as I may want too one day, I don't think my body has another half in it. My heart health is fine, even on Sunday. It was, and will be the strain on my tendons that prevent me from doing the distance. Save it for the cycling.

Yeah the park run is a great thing for me. The people at the front I imagine are competing harder which could be useful in the long term future and the general standard of men is higher than mine right now judging by where I finished (amongst men). But at the same time you have a great mix of people there with many who are just trying to finish so the pressure is a fun pressure rather than finishing 20 minutes behind in a 10k of hardcore runners. I got overtaken by at least 10 guys who looked at least 60, many girls/women of varying ages and even a guy pushing a pushchair! Was all part of the fun.
That's the joy of it - it attracts everyone from the people competing, , to the people just out for a 5k jog, or to the people somewhere in the middle and/or the dog wal..runners, oh, and the children doing it for fun (although being overtaken by a 12yr old on the finish straight is insulting). o_O

The last half I did was hardcore rain throughout and I kind of enjoyed it. Also cleared everyone else out of the way so no weaving around people required. A slippery surface though make me want to cancel the run if still a chance to do so.
Given the choice, I think I'd rather run in the rain than in the hot sun. :eek:

Ah that makes sense. I'll do the park runs year round as they're only 5k but for longer distances I'll keep an eye on month/season of race and start (and likely end) time.
Good Call. If I were you I'd start with a 10k (for pacing). As you'll have found out with the parkrun, even if you're pacing yourself well solo, that goes out the window somewhat on an event if you're not tuned to it. If you can find a 10k to enter (you'll get a medal at the end too), then you can focus on your splits; you'd need that to get yourself through a half, or even full marathon. You obviously don't want to blow up half way around.

Stopped 3.2 miles into my first run commute back to the office. Was a bit much with the heavy pack (which I'd forgotten about and will have to get used to again) and sun, especially when going up hills. Hopefully the run back goes better tonight. Maybe I'll just have to walk into the office until the summer is officially gone.

It's like any injury; if you don't take time to heal up and force yourself through the pain, it's not going to get better by miracle.

Plantar Fasciitis and Patellar Tendinous can both become chronic if they're worked too hard - sometimes people just strain or injure their Plantar Fasciitis or Patellar Tendon, and with rest and physiotherapy it sorts itself out and fixes up nicely (although sometimes there's an underlying weakness there).

If on the other hand, like what I've done with my knee, you push through it, it then becomes chronic, which is a longer recovery time and the potential to do severe damage (to the point that it's almost impossible to repair without surgery). I think because I'm weary of, and limiting my runs, both issues are manageable. I get good days and bad with both, but considering I'm walking around just fine now after pushing through the event on Sunday and there's hardly any pain or discomfort, something's gotta be working right.

I just need to maintain the mindset not to suddenly jump back into doing 3x 10k's a week, cause that's just not practical, and as much as I may want too one day, I don't think my body has another half in it. My heart health is fine, even on Sunday. It was, and will be the strain on my tendons that prevent me from doing the distance. Save it for the cycling.

That's the joy of it - it attracts everyone from the people competing, , to the people just out for a 5k jog, or to the people somewhere in the middle and/or the dog wal..runners, oh, and the children doing it for fun (although being overtaken by a 12yr old on the finish straight is insulting). o_O

Given the choice, I think I'd rather run in the rain than in the hot sun. :eek:

Good Call. If I were you I'd start with a 10k (for pacing). As you'll have found out with the parkrun, even if you're pacing yourself well solo, that goes out the window somewhat on an event if you're not tuned to it. If you can find a 10k to enter (you'll get a medal at the end too), then you can focus on your splits; you'd need that to get yourself through a half, or even full marathon. You obviously don't want to blow up half way around.
I've been very conservative on any niggles and have rested as soon as I've got them and not rushed back unless I feel better. Avoiding injuries is going to be my no.1 priority. I hope you can eventually be rid of it, even if it takes a long time and it sounds like you're being sensible and seeing some progress. Setting those kinds of times while carrying that kind of underlying injury is pretty crazy!

Also good that you have the cycling too which isn't as affected by the injury.

Yeah park run has something for everyone, from the utterly relaxed to the more competitive. I look forward to gradually improving my way to being more competitive. My ego went out the window after being overtaken by 20 people who didn't look anywhere near as fast as they were after 2 minutes :D

Ok, I'll try and find a 10k run near me. I imagine they will be less casual as many of the relaxed park run attendees might not yet even be capable of running 10k. I do like that distance though and it turned into my default to wards the end of the WFH era. Going have to see how this run commuting goes and gradually build up activity, mixing it with walking for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"