The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
legday.jpg

I've stop eating meat for a month now and just drink my whey drinks. I can lift more than ever but, my arms are still skinny. Only eating fruits, veggies, and cakes any ideas how to get bigger arms or just keep lifting?

lol i share that with my workout buddy every time he whines about doing legs. I also baby-stepped my squats to the Smith press. I'm hoping next month I can move it to the regular Squat rack.

lol i share that with my workout buddy every time he whines about doing legs. I also baby-stepped my squats to the Smith press. I'm hoping next month I can move it to the regular Squat rack.
What weight are you doing on the Smith, and at what point will you move to the squat rack?

I never did like the Smith. I can never get machines adjusted to my liking. I just used an empty bar and added weight to it. Yes, it will look silly at first (I totally outsquatted a guy by 50lbs last night) , but you do it to learn proper technique. A Smith (or any machine) restricts your movement so if you don't get it adjusted exactly, you could actually hurt yourself.

135lbs (I weigh 115) is a challenge, but if I go slow, squats feel good. My knees are in great shape.

And yeah, a guy who's jacked up top but who has skinnier legs than me is a turnoff. That guy actually may qualify. :funny: I love squats, but I'm a woman so my legs are stronger than my upper body. My thighs and hips vaguely look Rubenesque now, which is a pleasant side effect. :yay:

Also, had a epiphany last night with overhead presses. It seems unimportant, but you have to squeeze your butt really hard as you do them.

At least I have to, because I have no arm strength and I need to leverage some momentum from my hips. :oldrazz: God my arms are skinny....

I'm telling you, if you want a leg workout, work for UPS.

"Here's a series of heavy boxes. Put one on this conveyor belt every 3 seconds or less. If I catch you lifting from the back, I'm writing you up."

What weight are you doing on the Smith, and at what point will you move to the squat rack?

I never did like the Smith. I can never get machines adjusted to my liking. I just used an empty bar and added weight to it. Yes, it will look silly at first (I totally outsquatted a guy by 50lbs last night) , but you do it to learn proper technique. A Smith (or any machine) restricts your movement so if you don't get it adjusted exactly, you could actually hurt yourself.

135lbs (I weigh 115) is a challenge, but if I go slow, squats feel good. My knees are in great shape.

And yeah, a guy who's jacked up top but who has skinnier legs than me is a turnoff. That guy actually may qualify. :funny: I love squats, but I'm a woman so my legs are stronger than my upper body. My thighs and hips vaguely look Rubenesque now, which is a pleasant side effect. :yay:
the last set i did for squats yesterday I did 185, just to see if i could actually do it (did about 5 reps). On the regular squat rack before I had that little traumatic experience I used to be able to 225 with proper form about for about 8 reps of that.

the last set i did for squats yesterday I did 185, just to see if i could actually do it (did about 5 reps). On the regular squat rack before I had that little traumatic experience I used to be able to 225 with proper form about for about 8 reps of that.
Yeah, seriously at that point, you can try the regular squatting cage, the one with the catch bars. If you fail on a weight, you can just drop the bar behind you.

My coworker actually won't do squats in the rack either. He was doing 225 lbs (he weighs ~210) and he said his knees were hurting. I'm not sure what's so hard about backing off on the weights if you're having trouble on them. You just listen to your body. There's no shame in starting out slow.

I have delicate joints and I can't even handle more than an 8-lb bowling ball comfortably, but I can do regular squats fine at 20lbs more than my body weight. You just have to go slow.

Or maybe I just have this opinion because I have no idea how the eff to adjust weight machines to my liking, or how to plant my feet on a leg press and stuff like that. :funny: The machines only make sure you're not doing it completely wrong, but it's hard to do squats completely right because you do have to shift your center of gravity over your feet as you go down.

i empathize with that guy. i too have skinny ankles (and wrists). it's hard to gain any mass in my legs. and cross country running left my knees to unreliable for heavy squats. so i've taken to using the machine (leg press, calf raises, and squat) and supplementing it with split-jumps, burpees, and box jumps. i have good-sized quads but the skinny ankles and overly long calves are delaying my perfection. :woot:

so my order came in today for the Nike+FuelBand around 3:30 pm Eastern Time, I didn't want to start it till tomorrow to have a fresh day to use it. So far I like it, I beat my goal which was 3,000 because I did jog on the treadmill and I did lift for like 20 minutes. I also had over 10,000 steps, and 2,000 calories for the day.

I also had quite a good meal portions as well, pretty proud of myself today.

Todays workout contained 4x15 deck squats, with maybe 30s active rest in between. I felt like hell afterwards and had to lie down in order not to pass out lol.
Well not really, but it was rough.

I think by far, my favorite back exercise is the T-Bar Row (did Back and Bi's today)

Just got done boxing a few rounds with my brother. Man, I got my butt handed to me for the most part. Embarrassing. Heading straight back to the gym.

At the end of my chest workout I tried 205 till failure on flat bench. Got 7 reps, almost 8 :(

Not bad for weighing 180 :)

Any ideas on where to go to learn how to fight? And fast? After getting beat like that in a boxing match and not really knowing how to land punches I need help. BAD!

Any ideas on where to go to learn how to fight? And fast? After getting beat like that in a boxing match and not really knowing how to land punches I need help. BAD!

Haha, unless you live on a remote island I figure it can't be that hard to find a martial arts school somewhere. Kung fu, mma, boxing, muay thai, tae kwon do, there's plenty to choose from. But since you wanna learn fast then you probably needs something that's focused on competition rather than a traditional style.

I definitely need competition. Some of my friends say they want to box with us also, so I guess Im just going to have to keep losing to learn to fight

If you want to learn how to box, then box. Every martial art has its rules and not every discipline will translate well to another. And not even boxing will translate well to a dirty street fight. Even boxing has rules. The easiest way to not get caught in a street fight is to avoid one.

And yeah, learning how to box involves losing a lot, obviously. :oldrazz: Hopefully you'll be able to take boxing classes and be able to train. What good is losing constantly if you aren't learning anything in the meantime?

If you want to learn how to box, then box. Every martial art has its rules and not every discipline will translate well to another. And not even boxing will translate well to a dirty street fight. Even boxing has rules. The easiest way to not get caught in a street fight is to avoid one.

And yeah, learning how to box involves losing a lot, obviously. :oldrazz: Hopefully you'll be able to take boxing classes and be able to train. What good is losing constantly if you aren't learning anything in the meantime?

For some reason, that reminds of that video of Mike Tyson while he was in jail. The reporter asked him if anyone tried to start trouble and Tyson pretty said that nobody in there even tries to f*** with him.

For some reason, that reminds of that video of Mike Tyson while he was in jail. The reporter asked him if anyone tried to start trouble and Tyson pretty said that nobody in there even tries to f*** with him.
Well Tyson in particular has proven that he can fight dirty. :oldrazz:

Nice to see everyone keeping in shape! I started to play Volleyball again on Mondays which is a lot of fun. I used to play in High School. My lats and legs are killing me today though haha.

So my best friend is very overweight; about 328lbs and he's 5'10", and also has early stage diabetes . . . I'm trying to help him get in shape, but not stress him too hard . . . when it comes to increasing his heart rate, does he go by the same "rules" as everyone else? or should he go lower than his "high heart rate zone" because he's overweight?

I'm thinking it's the same for everyone, but I wanted someone that has a little better understanding to reiterate that for me . . .

First off my opinion will be his heart rate will shoot up relatively quickly with whatever exercise he does, especially in the beginning if 1 he's overweight and 2 has not worked out.

I'd just generally start him out slow with cardio work, jogging, etc. Keep him hydrated as much as possible, he'll sweat a lot. When I was overweight I used to sweat horribly really fast and it would stay with me for a long while after I worked out. Its because my heart rate was still going crazy even after the workout because I wasn't used to it.

Keep him at a light workout in the beginning, though like I said, it'll be hard to judge his heart rate and keep it steady because he hasn't worked out and is heavy set. His heart rates gonna go all over the place for a little while until his body gets used to exerting itself.

Now with diabetes I don't know what/if it has effects while working out, if you have to watch certain things. Sorry.

Last edited:
First off my opinion will be his heart rate will shoot up relatively quickly with whatever exercise he does, especially in the beginning if 1 he's overweight and 2 has not worked out.

I'd just generally start him out slow with cardio work, jogging, etc. Keep him hydrated as much as possible, he'll sweat a lot. When I was overweight I used to sweat horribly really fast and it would stay with me for a long while after I worked out. Its because my heart rate was still going crazy even after the workout because I wasn't used to it.

Keep him at a light workout in the beginning, though like I said, it'll be hard to judge his heart rate and keep it steady because he hasn't worked out and is heavy set. His heart rates gonna go all over the place for a little while until his body gets used to exerting itself.

Now with diabetes I don't know what/if it has effects while working out, if you have to watch certain things. Sorry.

I really appreciate that! That makes a lot of sense . . . I think it is pry better to go with low intensity cardio for longer periods of time . . . he also mentioned the sweating after working out thing . . . he said he doesn't like working out in the AM for that reason cuz he will be at work all sweaty . . .

I have always sweat a lot regardless lol. I still sweat a lot now but I sweat a lot then cool off a lot quicker now because my bodies used to it. Before if I started to sweat, I'd stay sweating for a while and it was soo uncomfortable haha.

Yeah light cardio for a long period of time. I'd stay off the treadmill too. I hate that thing. Its horrible for your knees. Try the stationary bike/situps/elliptical machine/etc.

That should be good for the beginning :) Once he starts getting better adn can last longer without being soo winded Id start him on some Crossfit workouts. Light ones. Box steps with dumbbells, body weight squats, lunges, etc. A lot of exercises that have little to do with weight training but a lot to do with heart rate stability and metabolic training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"