The Official Hype Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
boyscouT said:
you mean pre workout meal is ur first 3 meals right?

and what are your thoughts about protein intake? 1-1.5g per lb of bodyweight?
If anything, eating is something you should cut down on, poopsie. :o

I've read a bunch of places that a glass of chocolate milk is actually a good post-workout drink.

boyscouT said:
you mean pre workout meal is ur first 3 meals right?

and what are your thoughts about protein intake? 1-1.5g per lb of bodyweight?
1-1.5 is fine if your A) just concerned with general health or B) a natural gainer or fat storer. Some bodybuilders...especially the Apollean (as opposed to Herculean) and ectomorphic tend to take in much much more. I take in over to 300...also over 300 carbs. This would be too much for an average metabolism...but for one as heightened as mine...its fine. 1.5-2 should be fine for you now...bump it up or down according to the results you get

ShadowBoxing said:
1-1.5 is fine if your A) just concerned with general health or B) a natural gainer or fat storer. Some bodybuilders...especially the Apollean (as opposed to Herculean) and ectomorphic tend to take in much much more. I take in over to 300...also over 300 carbs. This would be too much for an average metabolism...but for one as heightened as mine...its fine. 1.5-2 should be fine for you now...bump it up or down according to the results you get

how many calories do you burn per day?
did you go to a special expert to figure it out?
whats your body fat %? how'd you figure that out (calipers, hydro, electric)?

my diet consists of:
ALOT of water, protein powder, power bars, protein bars, tuna fish cans, salmon, whole wheat bread, whole grain cereal, peanuts, turkey breast, olive oil, chicken, pork, and beef. anything i should change/add?

ShadowBoxing said:
If your parents (family) are healthy individuals who weight about 200lbs with a 12-15% bodyfat percentage I would say you need to gain some weight.

. . . .

You see fitness trainers don't like bodybuilder and bodybuilders don't like fitness trainers. So Fitness trainers have a lot of myths floating out there about bodybuilding.

. . . .

Why Bodybuilding: Bodybuilding is a misnomer...to me it imples steroids...which I have a distaste for. You are body scuplting. Fitness has been around since the turn of the century. It was suggested very early on by fitness proffessionals in the 1900s that weight lifting was "cheating"...that any true athlete grew in strength from playing sports and being active. The Fitness industries motives have been very clear from the beginning...."live within your means". See a fitness pro sees you this way.

. . . .

That stuff is all real, and its what celebrities use to get their killer physiques. However the catch 22 is that the only to get it is to have it shown to you. I can describe it, but only so well. And the of course with experience you will begin to know your own body and make it do what you want.

I think I do need to gain some, but I don't know if my parents weight is necessarily a factor. My Dad definitely weighs over 200; how much is a question mark for me, but he's 6'7"? I know you said that height really didn't make a diff, but could a comparison between us (Dad and self) really be effective?

. . . .

I didn't know there was a lot of hostility between bodybuilders and fitness trainers. That's interesting.

. . . .

Like you said, I'm body sculpting, and I'm trying to add muscle. I mentioned that I lift three days/week. On the other days, I do strength training: push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups in a high volume. Would this affect increasing muscle mass also?

Alpha and Omega said:
I didn't know there was a lot of hostility between bodybuilders and fitness trainers. That's interesting.

. . . .

Like you said, I'm body sculpting, and I'm trying to add muscle. I mentioned that I lift three days/week. On the other days, I do strength training: push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups in a high volume. Would this affect increasing muscle mass also?

This is SB's thread but let me take a crack at this..

1) Yea, its interesting AND funny. On FitTV once, they have Frank Zane give a lecture at this gym called Body Image. It was funny because you can tell he had a personal distaste for personal trainers, yet EVERY person at the gym was a personal trainer, LOL.

2) To me, it sounds like your strength training is in fact overtraining your body. You are not giving yourself enough nutrients & time to rest/rebuild. Also, if you are having trouble gaining muscle, try doing Squats, if you already aren't. When SB says its the most important muscle building exercise, he ain't kiddin. Squats will DIRECTLY help every other muscle in your body go BOOOOOOOOOOM.

boyscouT said:
how many calories do you burn per day?
did you go to a special expert to figure it out?
whats your body fat %? how'd you figure that out (calipers, hydro, electric)?

my diet consists of:
ALOT of water, protein powder, power bars, protein bars, tuna fish cans, salmon, whole wheat bread, whole grain cereal, peanuts, turkey breast, olive oil, chicken, pork, and beef. anything i should change/add?
yeah I went to a nutritionist who I consult before upping or lowering anything

Dark Zero said:
Sex?! WHO NEEDS SEX?!
Actually, good point, I think I'll cut all snacks and fizzy drinks out of my diet. :(

Look I agree with you, I don't think anyone should take dieting and health to the extreme and deprive themselves of the things in life that are far more enjoyable. But that being said, too much of anything is bad for you, food, junk food, alcohol, smoking, dieting, working out, sex. Anything, it's all about moderation ;) :D :up:

Mr. Vengeance said:
1% increase in tan = 47% increase in definition(appearance)

True story.

Getting rid of body hair as well (shaving, waxing) also increases your definition appearance. :D

boyscouT said:
i actually just came from the toilet :eek:
Well at least you're finally bothering yourself with the petty conventions of the toilet.

Calvin said:
Well at least you're finally bothering yourself with the petty conventions of the toilet.

lmfao..... i almost crapped my pants again though, i was seated ackwardly on my chair just now and a huge fart almost turned into natural dirt.

Also, not to rain on your parade SB, because I think you have posted great info so far. But as SB said in the begining, everyone has different body types, thusly everyone's body also reacts differently to different training methods. The rule of thumb as SB has laid out, for lifting, cardio and diet is great to follow. But not everyone gets the same results.

You really just have to find what works for you and your body.

BAH HUMBBUG! said:
Also, not to rain on your parade SB, because I think you have posted great info so far. But as SB said in the begining, everyone has different body types, thusly everyone's body also reacts differently to different training methods. The rule of thumb as SB has laid out, for lifting, cardio and diet is great to follow. But not everyone gets the same results.

You really just have to find what works for you and your body.

to add to this, everything takes TIME. to figure out how your body works, it takes weeks, even MONTHS. patience is truly a virtue here. (i have no idea what that means, but it sounds good).

BAH HUMBBUG! said:
Look I agree with you, I don't think anyone should take dieting and health to the extreme and deprive themselves of the things in life that are far more enjoyable. But that being said, too much of anything is bad for you, food, junk food, alcohol, smoking, dieting, working out, sex. Anything, it's all about moderation ;) :D :up:

A lot of my friends say that I deprive myself because I don't indulge in common foods, but I believe that I'm healthier. I don't eat dairy or red-meat (hardly any poultry or pork either).

I only drink water, OJ, and cranberry juice. I take vitamin supplements for the fatty acids, and energy I require. I've even limited how much beer I drink; it never interfered w/ my weight, but imo, moderation's better anyway.
icon7.gif

Perhaps it's a bit extreme, but I plan on eliminating meat from my diet completely. :o I'm just trying to search for alternative ways to increase weight w/ this in mind. I eat a lot of carbs. Given my fam history (slender, but athletic), I don't know if it's possible to cut out dairy and meat, all the while gaining mass; still, I would like to attempt it anyway.

If I can't, it's not that much of an inconvenience. :(

I'm not trying to change anyone elses op, if my comment comes off in that manner, I'm just giving the actions of self. :)

boyscouT said:
to add to this, everything takes TIME. to figure out how your body works, it takes weeks, even MONTHS. patience is truly a virtue here. (i have no idea what that means, but it sounds good).

Yes this is very true BS has a great point. Those of you that read through all of this info and start to workout, understand that it will take anywhere from a month to a few months before you start to notice your results. Now that does not mean the results will take that long to achieve, just that long to notice.

Perfect example, me; I was 159.8lbs and 19% body fat. I lost 6lbs in the first week but didn't notice too much of a change in my body, now on the fourth week of working out I can notice body areas becoming more toned and defined. Of course I am natually slim and have a high metabolism and was/am very athletic (until I suffered an injury as of late).

For the others out there, take BS advice and keep with it, it may take 3 months or 6 months or even a year to achieve what you want but it will happen. If anyone wants to keep track of their progress on here I wouldn't mind, sort of a way to motivate each other.

You can also check out

www.ediet.com and www.fitday.com ;)

same for me BH,

i was 180lbs and very high bf %, and went on a crazy diet / exercise program that helped me lose 45 pounds in around 3 months. first week i started, i lost nothing. next week, a pound or two. then it all started sliding off my body! unfortunately with that kind of weight loss program, i never incorporated weight training, which i regret. now i am pickin up the slack and fixing my mistakes.

Alpha and Omega said:
A lot of my friends say that I deprive myself because I don't indulge in common foods, but I believe that I'm healthier. I don't eat dairy or red-meat (hardly any poultry or pork either).

I only drink water, OJ, and cranberry juice. I take vitamin supplements for the fatty acids, and energy I require. I've even limited how much beer I drink; it never interfered w/ my weight, but imo, moderation's better anyway.
icon7.gif

Perhaps it's a bit extreme, but I plan on eliminating meat from my diet completely. :o I'm just trying to search for alternative ways to increase weight w/ this in mind. I eat a lot of carbs. Given my fam history (slender, but athletic), I don't know if it's possible to cut out dairy and meat, all the while gaining mass; still, I would like to attempt it anyway.

If I can't, it's not that much of an inconvenience. :(

I'm not trying to change anyone elses op, if my comment comes off in that manner, I'm just giving the actions of self. :)

I agree with what you say but there is also another mind set or way of thinking that I agree with. Although this is not the exact quote I am thinking of (I can't remember the one I heard or whom it was by) but this one has the same meaning.

"I don't want to die without any scars." ~ Brad Pitt, Fight Club

BAH HUMBBUG! said:
I agree with what you say but there is also another mind set or way of thinking that I agree with. Although this is not the exact quote I am thinking of (I can't remember the one I heard or whom it was by) but this one has the same meaning.

"I don't want to die without any scars." ~ Brad Pitt, Fight Club

excellent analogy.

my mindset is similars to Alphas when I am specifically training/going for my goals, but once i've achieved them, i have no problem eating at a fast food place, gettin some chips, or eatin a snickers once in awhile.

boyscouT said:
same for me BH,

i was 180lbs and very high bf %, and went on a crazy diet / exercise program that helped me lose 45 pounds in around 3 months. first week i started, i lost nothing. next week, a pound or two. then it all started sliding off my body! unfortunately with that kind of weight loss program, i never incorporated weight training, which i regret. now i am pickin up the slack and fixing my mistakes.

:up: Yeah it would have helped but nothing you can do about it now to change it so you just gotta hit those weights. Also has anyone mentioned isometrics or isotonic exercises?

BAH HUMBBUG! said:
:up: Yeah it would have helped but nothing you can do about it now to change it so you just gotta hit those weights. Also has anyone mentioned isometrics or isotonic exercises?

yup, for the past 6 months or so i've been weight training and i can bench around 180!!! but now i want to become extremely toned, cut, and muscular. weight training as really turned my body around, from a skinny asian kid to an athletic sports machine, the 'amazinasian!'

ps: no one has mentioned isometrics or isotonics... care to elaborate?

boyscouT said:
yup, for the past 6 months or so i've been weight training and i can bench around 180!!! but now i want to become extremely toned, cut, and muscular. weight training as really turned my body around, from a skinny asian kid to an athletic sports machine, the 'amazinasian!'

ps: no one has mentioned isometrics or isotonics... care to elaborate?

Well I'll make it short right now gotta run maybe SB or someone else can elaborate more later.

But the basic principles behind Iso are:

Isometric: Pushing or pulling against an immovable object to gain raw strength. (from my research this is the best way to developed raw strength, but things could have changed)

Isotonic: Holding x amount of weight for x amount of time to increase strength as well as definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"