The Official Hype Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BAH HUMBBUG! said:
Well I'll make it short right now gotta run maybe SB or someone else can elaborate more later.

But the basic principles behind Iso are:

Isometric: Pushing or pulling against an immovable object to gain raw strength. (from my research this is the best way to developed raw strength, but things could have changed)

Isotonic: Holding x amount of weight for x amount of time to increase strength as well as definition.

it sounds familiar.. i'll look into it...

although isometrics sounds plausible, but bruce lee had an extreme amount of raw strength and punched the air to workout :eek:

boyscouT said:

although isometrics sounds plausible, but bruce lee had an extreme amount of raw strength and punched the air to workout :eek:

His theories on fluid movement of the body were revolutionary.:up:

Alpha and Omega said:
His theories on fluid movement of the body were revolutionary.:up:

tell me about it. do you know how he died?

ps: did you read what i said about the protein supplements? great way to get protein into your body QUICK, RELIABLY, and SAFE, without having to eat meat, poultry, fish, etc.

Sabretooth said:
Alright,I've been swimming for maybe 4 years now,and it's kind of off and on. I'm not really hardcore about it,and my eating habits are just...horrid. I'm probably 30 lbs. overweight. If I ate right,and started swimming more,would that be enough or should I do swimming,dieting,and something else as well? Also keep in mind that I have school,so I'm not sure how I'd do the six small meals thing.

And just so you know,my swim practices are about an hour and 30 minutes. Dunno if that matters or not.
:( .

sabretooth, diet is key. make sure you start eating right, while drinking TONS of water.

swimming is a really great cardio exercise, one of the best. keep it up and you should be fine.

make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, and try to eat in frequent small meals. as i type this, im eating my 5th meal of the day.

dont forget lots of (cold) water. its key!

if you need more specific help, i'll be glad to assist you in any way i can.

boyscouT said:

ps: did you read what i said about the protein supplements? great way to get protein into your body QUICK, RELIABLY, and SAFE, without having to eat meat, poultry, fish, etc.

Yeah, I did. I've been drinking proteine supplement shakes, but I think that I need more patience.:(

Wasn't Lee killed for trying to teach his innovative methods to Americans? I'm not sure if this is accurate, but this is what I'd always heard?

Sabretooth said:
Alright,I've been swimming for maybe 4 years now,and it's kind of off and on. I'm not really hardcore about it,and my eating habits are just...horrid. I'm probably 30 lbs. overweight. If I ate right,and started swimming more,would that be enough or should I do swimming,dieting,and something else as well? Also keep in mind that I have school,so I'm not sure how I'd do the six small meals thing.

And just so you know,my swim practices are about an hour and 30 minutes. Dunno if that matters or not.

SB could probably answer your question in the most efficient way, but I usually swim during the summer in place of running on some days. It's arguably, the best way to exercise every muscle in your body. I'm not sure if it will help you lose weight more quickly, but it's great exercise.:up:

boyscouT said:
sabretooth, diet is key. make sure you start eating right, while drinking TONS of water.

swimming is a really great cardio exercise, one of the best. keep it up and you should be fine.

make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, and try to eat in frequent small meals. as i type this, im eating my 5th meal of the day.

dont forget lots of (cold) water. its key!

if you need more specific help, i'll be glad to assist you in any way i can.
boyscouT said:
5th grade culture show, i crapped my pants in my outfit on stage.

it was ackward because no one knew what i did, but everyone kept lookin around, sniffing, etc..

i wobbled my ass to the bathroom asap.
boyscouT said:
lmfao..... i almost crapped my pants again though, i was seated ackwardly on my chair just now and a huge fart almost turned into natural dirt.
Yeah, you might want to be talking to someone else for diet advice.

Alright, this problem was probably already addressed, but bear with me.

I'm moving along at a nice pace with my lifting. I've seen a very good improvement over the past two months. However, I still have "stubborn fat" on my upper chest and abdominal area that won't go away. I'm trying to get a defined chest (pecs) and six pack, but this fat doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.

For the most part, I eat/drink steadily throughout the day (typically two big meals and a snack between lunch and dinner. I'm not a breakfast person.), and I watch the carbs and calories I take in. I do drink milk and eat dairy products.

Also, I don't run at all.

What should I do to burn this **** off? For the most part I'm thinking it's water weight.

Boom said:

I'm moving along at a nice pace with my lifting. I've seen a very good improvement over the past two months. However, I still have "stubborn fat" on my upper chest and abdominal area that won't go away. I'm trying to get a defined chest (pecs) and six pack, but this fat doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.

For the most part, I eat/drink steadily throughout the day (typically two big meals and a snack between lunch and dinner. I'm not a breakfast person.), and I watch the carbs and calories I take in. I do drink milk and eat dairy products.

What should I do to burn this **** off? For the most part I'm thinking it's water weight.
There you go.

boyscouT said:

He died due to an anurism(sp) no secret mystery to his death, people just like to act like there is.

boyscouT said:

Actually he would punch with weights in his hand, ranging from 1lb-10lbs going through each by 1lb incriments, doing 100 punches, can't remember if it was 100 total or 200. 50 each arm or 100 each arm, then he would go back down.

Alpha and Omega said:
Yeah, I did. I've been drinking proteine supplement shakes, but I think that I need more patience.:(

Wasn't Lee killed for trying to teach his innovative methods to Americans? I'm not sure if this is accurate, but this is what I'd always heard?

SB could probably answer your question in the most efficient way, but I usually swim during the summer in place of running on some days. It's arguably, the best way to exercise every muscle in your body. I'm not sure if it will help you lose weight more quickly, but it's great exercise.:up:

No that is bs. He died from an anyruism (sp) www.wikipedia.org just look up Bruce Lee.

Boom said:

As SB said, it is VERY VERY VERY difficult to burn fat AND gain muscle at the same time. It is highly suggested to gain first, then cut, or vice versa.

First off, you MUST eat breakfast. It is NOT an option to skip it or flat out not have it. Preferably, as soon as you wake up, put something in your mouth. UNLESS you do cardio FIRST THING in the mornings (empty stomach promotes fat usage / loss). Try to break down your two BIG meals into three normal sized, or four small meals. Snacks are great, but remember to be health conscious. A healthy snack is some fruit, veggies, nuts, whole grains, etc. NOT cheesecake, ice cream, chocolate bars, etc.

Its great that you watch what you eat, what your carbs are, and what your calories are. From that, you should know your daily requirement. Simply subtract 100-300 calories from that per day, combined with a cardio exercise once or twice a week, while weight lifting 3 times a week. As for the milk/dairy products, SB said that milk tends to produce a thin layer of fat over muscle, so I myself am going to stray away from milk for awhile. I suggest you try the same.

If running is hard for you as a cardio exercise, try to find some other activity. Basketball? Jump roping? Tennis? etc.

hope this helps

boyscouT said:
are things like that covered by insurance?
some business provide you with this service...but they are big businesses with nice perks...no for me its all out of pocket. Bodybuilders pay for two things rent and gym memberships (and food). I know most of my bodybuilder friends still live with their parents. Lou Ferrigno did until he was in his mid twenties. I am in college so no big deal right now. But it is not a glamorous life I assure you

boyscouT said:
As SB said, it is VERY VERY VERY difficult to burn fat AND gain muscle at the same time. It is highly suggested to gain first, then cut, or vice versa.

First off, you MUST eat breakfast. It is NOT an option to skip it or flat out not have it. Preferably, as soon as you wake up, put something in your mouth. UNLESS you do cardio FIRST THING in the mornings (empty stomach promotes fat usage / loss). Try to break down your two BIG meals into three normal sized, or four small meals. Snacks are great, but remember to be health conscious. A healthy snack is some fruit, veggies, nuts, whole grains, etc. NOT cheesecake, ice cream, chocolate bars, etc.

Its great that you watch what you eat, what your carbs are, and what your calories are. From that, you should know your daily requirement. Simply subtract 100-300 calories from that per day, combined with a cardio exercise once or twice a week, while weight lifting 3 times a week. As for the milk/dairy products, SB said that milk tends to produce a thin layer of fat over muscle, so I myself am going to stray away from milk for awhile. I suggest you try the same.

If running is hard for you as a cardio exercise, try to find some other activity. Basketball? Jump roping? Tennis? etc.

hope this helps
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely put it into consideration.

boyscouT said:

hope this helps
hmmmmm...nope

It is not suggested by any reputable trainer you do this. Its suggested you master added muscle and buring fat. Through trail and error what you described may very well happen....however it is suggested you try for both. It is a daunting task, but in order to be successful at weight training and bodybuilding you must learn it. Cutting down is no fun...also because skin does not have the elasticity to keep up with weight loss...you need to try to keep bodyfat to a minimum

ShadowBoxing said:
hmmmmm...nope

It is not suggested by any reputable trainer you do this. Its suggested you master added muscle and buring fat. Through trail and error what you described may very well happen....however it is suggested you try for both. It is a daunting task, but in order to be successful at weight training and bodybuilding you must learn it. Cutting down is no fun...also because skin does not have the elasticity to keep up with weight loss...you need to try to keep bodyfat to a minimum

another thing i've learned from SB tonight. :up:

SB, couple of things.

If time allows, could you provide a list of exercises that would help the following areas:
-triceps
-biceps
-upper chest
-lower abdominal

If I flex, my six pack is visible, but my bottom four aren't as visible as the top two. And as I said above, I'd like my chest to be more defined. I've been doing pushups and benches to improve it. Anything else?

Boom said:
SB, couple of things.

If time allows, could you provide a list of exercises that would help the following areas:
-triceps
-biceps
-upper chest
-lower abdominal

If I flex, my six pack is visible, but my bottom four aren't as visible as the top two. And as I said above, I'd like my chest to be more defined. I've been doing pushups and benches to improve it. Anything else?
Triceps
One arm tricep ex
skullcrunches
Close grip bench
Cable Crunch
Cable Extension
French Press
Kickbacks
Rope pulldowns
bar pulldowns

Biceps
Preacher Curls
Incline Curls
Standing Curls
Cheat Curls
Arm Blaster Curls
Standing alternating DB Curls
E-Z Bar Curls (wide and narrow grip)
Pump Curls (as I call them)
Cable Curls
Bicep Machine

Upper Chest
Incline Press
Incline Flys
Incline DB Press
Incline Machine Press
Cable flys (directed above your chest)
Incline cable Press
Incline Cable Flys

Lower Abs
Jacknifes
Hanging Crunch
Reverse Crunch
6 inches
Bicycles
Cable Crunch (depending on how you execute it)

Boom said:
SB, couple of things.

-triceps
-biceps
-upper chest
-lower abdominal

in case SB can't answer them until tomorrow..

triceps) with free weights, use a barbell (with weights, optional) and lay on ur back on along a bench. grab the barbell with both palms facing out at approximately shoulder length and hold it at 90 degrees. extend, slowly come back, and repeat. always keep the weight in control and dont let momentum help you, or you are just cheating urself.

you can also grab a dumbbell, standing up, and put it behind your head. do the 90 degree thing that way too.

using machines, go do a tricep pull down. can't really explain it, but if you ask anyone at a gym, they'll let you know.

using body weight, pushups (correct form) are wonderful. you can also place your hands behind you on flat service, with your legs on a chair. lower & higher yourself, until your triceps can't take anymore.

biceps) with a barbell, stand up and lower the weight but never fully extending ur elbows, that way you always keep tension on your muscles. when you are at the peak of the exercise, squeeze your biceps for a further workout.

sit down place your elbow along the side of your knee, and do a regular bicep curl. always keep control of the weight and dont let momentum help you.

pushups can also strengthen your biceps, when done correctly.

upper chest) with a bench press, go to an inclined bench. that isolates your upper chest.

with pushups, simply place your hands a little higher than normal.

lower abs) leg raises, bicycle crunches, etc.

Body fat as a DIRECT effect on definition. If you want to look leaner, more toned & cut, add some cardio into your workout. try to stay away from bad fatty foods but keep the good fats in (olive oil, omega 3 fatty acids, etc).

you can also try getting a tan, shaving your body hair, etc.

REMEMBER, I AM NOT AN EXPERT. SB HAS MUCH MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN I DO.

However, i am studying for my CPT from the National Academy of Sports Medicine, so soon, i'll be better qualified to answer your questions!

ShadowBoxing said:
Triceps
One arm tricep ex
skullcrunches
Close grip bench
Cable Crunch
Cable Extension
French Press
Kickbacks
Rope pulldowns
bar pulldowns

Biceps
Preacher Curls
Incline Curls
Standing Curls
Cheat Curls
Arm Blaster Curls
Standing alternating DB Curls
E-Z Bar Curls (wide and narrow grip)
Pump Curls (as I call them)
Cable Curls
Bicep Machine

Upper Chest
Incline Press
Incline Flys
Incline DB Press
Incline Machine Press
Cable flys (directed above your chest)
Incline cable Press
Incline Cable Flys

Lower Abs
Jacknifes
Hanging Crunch
Reverse Crunch
6 inches
Bicycles
Cable Crunch (depending on how you execute it)

wow... SB pretty much kicked my reply's ass with this.

Also for people starting out here is the general level progression

Level I

Upper Body/Lower Body split

1 exercise per body part two be done on alternating days

monday: Upper
tuesday: rest-cardio
Wednesday: Lower
Thursday: rest-cardio
repeat

Level II
five or four day split
Bodyparts are split up into basic groups and worked for an hour once a week (do this for maybe 3 to 4 months). 3 to 4 exercise done per part

Level III
Double Split program (what I am starting)
Monday Thursday
Morning
Chest/Shoulders

Afternoon
Back

Tuesday Friday
Morning
Legs 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes

Afternoon
Arms and calves

Wednesday and or weekend (abs and possible cardio)

Hey SB here is my routine. Just want to see what your input on it is.

Day 1- Chest, Upper Back, Traps

Day 2- Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, forearms

Day 3- Abs (upper, lower and obliques)

Day 4- Legs (quads, ham strings, glutes and calves)

Day 5- Repeat Day 1

Day 6- Repeat Day 2

Day 7- Rest

Then I start where I left off, cardio is thrown in there 3 times a week.

That is my current routine for now. As I said I suffered a serious injury that I am still recovering from so I am only doing 1 exercise per body part for now to slowly work my way back into shape. In a week I will be adding 1 new exercise to each body part, depending. That or increasing the amount of reps I perform or sets or both.

I am only doing 3-6 reps and 3 sets for each exercise. Right now I am going for strength/size gains until I have increased my physical condition to the point where I can really start performing 3 exercises for each body part and 3-5 sets of 12-16 reps. Depending on what body part and what exercise I will pick up.

My question to you is/are. Are there any other body parts I can workout I am not hitting (minus my calves, I am rehabing an achilles injury so I do that seperate for thearpy exercises)?

Nice thread, lot of useful information here, s'all good...

however it would be nice to see some more neutral advice coming through the boards, the testosterone levels in here are higher than on a TOP GUN volleyball court.

:o

I was hoping to take some things from this thread, but I only eat once a day and i can't afford to cut more out of my diet than i already have, so i'll have to push on.

As for adding info, i don't really have anything to say other than to always make some time daily for exercising and always go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"