The Official Hype Martial Arts Thread

KRYPTON INC.

Incorporated Kryptonian
Reaction score
M5TrYfE.jpg

MjGTpM8.jpg

Fantasy or reality, the fighting arts of the human race attract all shapes, sizes, nationalities and religions. For sport, as a hobby, or a life's work, many receive some reward or find some value in adding martial arts training into their daily lives. Some just enjoy researching these old fighting ways that gave men and women the edge in violent encounters in days before firearms.

To that end here is a thread for the Hype community to educate themselves or others about the various styles of fighting arts and systems the world over. Or just come in and share stories about training or things you've seen. Talk about what the art or arts you have trained in mean to you and what they have given to your life.

Eastern, Western, ring art, street fighting, warrior art, it's all welcome here. I think this is a community more than a sport thing as many arts are not in fact sports per se. or have a sport or competitive aspect to them at all.

dKlj9Pd.jpg

joBvx1q.jpg

xfzgKGX.jpg

HLCircle.jpg

stick.jpg

Come fellow Hypesters. Fill my cup and allow myself and others to fill yours.

Last edited:
Inosanto.Kali.arnis.escrima.gif

L9MwYxQ.jpeg

featured_exhib_film_bladed-hand.jpg

7e55f7ea1de6a5f44b6b975c6d51bc53.jpg

Inosanto2002.gif

I will get it started...

I was a Filipino martial artist though I have studied JKD Concepts and Jun Fan Kickboxing, some integrated grappling and some Brazilian Jujitsu, as well as some fencing concepts my father taught me. I trained Inosanto-Lacoste Kali Silat with some Lameco thrown in and went very hard into the Dog Brothers' method of Real Contact stick fighting training, fighting at two Gatherings Of The Pack. For those that don't know, FMA or Filipino Martial Arts are a widely eclectic mix of styles and systems from the Philippines that include a lot of weapons training which in turn inform the empty hand techniques and approaches. You will find many different names for the arts as there are quite a few dialects spoken in the arts' home country. FMA is itself a mixture of a few influences from outside the Philippines, including Western Fencing and Boxing brought there by the Spaniards and the Americans respectively.

For myself, I think a big part of why the art when taught right is so effective is that there are still men who used these methods on a real battlefield alive today. Filipino fighters used their arts in the jungle combat against the Japanese occupation during WWII. As such those men went on to teach others after the war. Unlike many other styles the FMA practitioner is taught in a system that has men alive who guided it's evolution that know real combat. No offense to other systems but I think that is important.

The various styles and systems usually start off with weapon work. The training tool/weapon is usually a rattan stick, with lengths varying. The methods learned are two fold. You learn indeed how to use a blunt impact weapon but it's important to note that most of those same techniques are also used for bladed weapons/Swords. Double weapons like double stick and unmatched weapons like sword and dagger/knife are included as well. In fact it is my opinion that stick/sword and dagger should probably be taught first, despite the difficulty in coordinating "long and short" that puts most people off learning it. Instructors in bringing the arts to the masses in the States adapted the traditional training methods for a new group, usually going single stick/single knife, to double stick to stick and knife and then stick and dagger, but even the most famous FMA teacher alive, Dan Inosanto has talked about that perhaps being a mistake as the coordination built with Stick and dagger is a big part of making the other aspects like double stick and the empty hands component work.

I have found that the method of working weapons first really helps to super charge the empty hands but also allows one to, hopefully, adapt any weapon to one's own use, even improvised ones. Also learning how to use weapons, especially the knife as it is so common, helps you to develop the reactions and tactics necessary to face one yourself if you are unarmed in a violent encounter.

If you are a student of another art I can give FMA no better endorsement than to say that it will compliment any method you are currently studying very well, especially if the art you are doing does not have a weapon component. Let's just say I think someone that has been training in Judo or BJJ and has some FMA in his arsenal has got a lot of bases covered in case of a street fight.

FMA is also an art that can be trained "Hard/External" or "Soft/Internal". Practice it hard core to develop the strong and brutal aspects, and practice it slow to see the way the movements bring harmony to the body and mind.

I recommend as always to check the art out for yourself in person. But if you find a school you like with a system that interests you I think you will find something practical and enriching.

Last edited:
The GREAT Guro Dan Inosant talks FMA at the Smithsonian:

Seven weapons in FMA:

Mano y Mano techniques:

Staff drills:

FMA two man energy drills:

An interview with the amazing Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny of the Dog Brothers. The man is the real deal people. I can tell you from personal experience. :

Last edited:
Of interest to myself is the rise of Western Martial Arts training in the U.S. and elsewhere. Given the rise of firearms in Europe many of the traditional fighting methods were lost and many of the unarmed systems became ring sports like wrestling, boxing or Savate. There are those trying to revive these traditions thought and I myself wish them the best of luck. :

bsb00020451_00027-e12970893421861.jpg

BrambleElizaDemo1.JPG

ishot-1523411.jpg

Last edited:
Thailand is of course home to the famous and effective art of Muay Thai, their form of kick boxing. Connected to that art is Krabi Krabong, a weapon art:

Krabi_Krabong.jpg

krabi-krabong.jpg

I have had a taste of Krabi and it's a nice compliment to Filipino Martial Arts.

Last edited:
Bando Boxing is a martial art and ring sport from Myanmar, formerly Burma. As the country has been ruled so long by a paranoid military junta, it's a relatively closed off country, or at least it was until somewhat recent history. As such the martial arts traditions are still practiced in a very Spartan, one could say even ancient way relatively unchanged for a centuries.

The fighting style is sometimes called the "science of NINE limbs" which of course is evocative of a similar saying about Muay Thai, the national art of Thailand. Both must have had an ancient connection at some point as many techniques and tactics are shared by the two arts. The thing is, Bando as it is practiced as both a fighting art and a ring sport did not go through a more, civilizing reformation, if you will. Muay Thai, not to be confused with the more eclectic in technique and older Muay Boran, adopted many of the same in the ring safety precautions as Western boxing. Gloves, groin protectors, certain rules for matches and so forth. Bando... Not so much. Muay Thai is called the "science of EIGHT limbs", meaning fists, elbows, knees and shins. Bando includes the human head in the equation as head butts are still allowed in the ring component of the art. Throws, body slams and the like are also all a go when fighting in competition. Successful use of thing like spinning fists and jumping knees, elbows and the like is not uncommon. Not to mention the fighters wrap their hands but usually do not use gloves. Bando in the ring because of these factors can be a much more flamboyant and more chaotic affair than a Thai boxing match. In fact when fights go down in the ring it requires not one, but two "referees" to keep order.

Lethwei_Training_Aphyu_Yaung_Thway_Thit_Yangon_0056.jpg

logos-aba.png

Dr_Gyi-300x284.jpg

639.jpg

The person above is Dr. Maung Gyi, the man that introduced Bando arts to the American public. I only had one passing interaction with the man but I think it's an interesting story. It actually happened when that second picture was taken.

I had gone to a Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack, Dog Brothers being proponents of "Real Contact Stick Fighting", not to be confused with FULL Contact stick fighting? The difference? Well, in Full Contact matches there is no punching allowed, no kicking, no grappling and above all the fighters wear incredibly strong protective gear, a full helmet and protection for the hands. In a Dog Brothers' Gathering... Yeah it's just the opposite.

I had gone to fight but before the fighting there was three days of a "camp" at a MMA/Wrestling gym. I attended and it was a lot of fun but also VERY tiring. It was from morning to night and I learned a lot but damn if it wasn't exhausting and put a strain on the body. At the end of the third day I was not the only guy there that felt like he was totally out of gas. Our muscles were tight, and we were tired. The last part of the camp Guro Marc Denny brought out Dr. Gyi. He was not there to teach us how to do any sort of fighting. He was there to educated us on how to heal ourselves. As he explained it, most martial artists concentrate on the three "B's". They learn how to BREAK, how to BLOODY and how to BRUTALIZE. In Dr. Gyi's opinion they should learn the three "H's", which are indeed to HURT, but also how to HEAL and how to HARMONIZE oneself. To that end he was not teaching us any sort of fighting techniques at the end of this camp. Instead he was going to teach us how to use our rattan sticks to help to massage ourselves and others.

He proceeded to show us a whole variety of uses of our sticks to rub ourselves down, to use as extra leverage to help stretches and to stimulate acupressure points. We did this for a good two hours. Now I am telling you all... I was so tired, so out of gas and sore from three straight days of essentially 8 hours straight of training that I thought I wasn't going to fight the next day... But that was before I did this Dhanda Yoga that Dr. Gyi showed us. Afterwards I felt like a new man and sure enough, I fought the next day no problem. I think what Dr. Gyi said should be taken to heart by any serious martial artist. Learn how to hurt, it is a martial art you are studying after all, but also, learn how to heal yourself and others and learn how to harmonize yourself and others as well. I have met a few real life "Master Yoda" types doing martial arts... Dr. Gyi was definitely one of them. A man that was a master of one of the roughest and toughest South East Asian fighting arts also showed myself and others the values of gentleness and harmony. I will never forget the experience.

Last edited:
salem02.jpg

Boxe-francaise.jpg

BB%201967-03%20Cov.jpg

savate_logo_square_sticker_3_x_3.jpg

Savate Boxe Fracaise is a European ring and street art that has been in existence for a long time. I can't make any claim to a deep understanding of it but I know that in the hands, or feet of a skilled exponent, that it can hold it's own. Savate is interesting because it's an art with lots of flamboyant kicks but with a twist that most East Asian arts don't have. Savate, being developed by a Western nation, likely with strong influence from the culture of the French Navy, is a fighting art whose true usefulness is only apparent when one wears good heavy shoes, especially those with a pointed tip. The point of the shoe or boot toe impacting into a human body is quite different than a blow from a fist or shin. I have taken a Savate kick training a couple or times and let me tell you, it's just not the same as taking a blow from a Thai kick or the like. It's devastating in a different way, like a piercing pain that makes breathing hard. Savate kickboxers are masters of precision due to the accuracy needed to land these "toe" shots. They are also adept at low line kicks to the shin and lower legs.

This is a demonstration from the year 1924. Of interest to me is how it really shows a European art developing similar techniques to arts found the world over. Also, the final minutes of the short film are devoted to showing a woman practicing the art, and quite skillfully too, against a male instructor.

Savate is still practiced today in the ring but it also has a component o techniques and training for street encounters and use of the single cane for self defense.

Last edited:
Before I let this thing sink to the bottom of the Hype abyss I think I'll use it to help educate folks about something that sticks in my craw for multiple reasons... MARTIAL ARTS IS NOT MAGIC. I know, I know... You would think people over the age of 16, hell, people over the age of 12 wouldn't need to be told that but people love to lie to themselves most of all.

Look, there are some amazing feats that one can do with hard work and determination which ideally are the attributes that all martial arts training no matter their origin should help you develop... But people WANT the magic. They want to be fooled. They want the "trick" that is all about wishing something to be so. I don't know which I dislike more in people. On the one hand you have the types that are living in a straight jacket of "logic" and I do put quotes around it for a reason. These are folks with a really good education that quantify every aspect of life. They seem to have a full head based on their estimation of their own intellect combined with something that reinforces their self regard like a degree of some kind. These types often for all their accumulated knowledge can't fathom how actual human beings react, think, feel or view things because they don't understand that philosophically, we human beings are not just math problems. We are inherently illogical in so very many ways. These types just can't seem to get that, and it of course feeds into their ego because they feel they are even more superior now since they adhere to their "logic" and quantification of life so much more consistently than others. They are all facts and not an ounce of wisdom in other words.

But WORSE than that are the types that are the opposite in my opinion. The far too credulous, with not an ounce of skepticism and are taken away by magical thinking and a romantic outlook on all things. These folks need the world to be so much more than it is and so they are willing to believe anything regardless of whether it can pass the smell test of common sense or scientific accuracy. They also suffer from a huge self regard. "Well, I guess I just believe in things more strongly than you do." This confluence, willingness to believe combined with a self regard that puts willful ignorance on par with earned wisdom and knowledge finds fertile ground in the world of the Martial Arts. People want to believe in mystical abilities like those in fiction and there are those who will take advantage of that foolishness for a variety of reasons, claiming secret power and knowledge lost to all but a few. It's the kind of misfortune that is anything but bad luck in actuality. It's someone being a willful fool and playing into the hands of the crazed or the nefarious.

Last edited:
I was forced into boxing as soon as I could stand. When I was five years old, a kickboxing gym agreed to accept me as a student and let me spar with the other kids, so my father acquiesced. My trainer was Nasser Niavaroni, the man who previously worked Dennis Alexio's corner. As soon as I was old enough, though, my father moved me to the Police Athletic League. I grew away from the sport as I got older. But I have always been a fan. I fell in love with it again on my own terms as a teenager, and I picked it back up in college. I've had my garage set up as a personal boxing gym for the past eight years. I don't compete, but I exercise a few times a week.

I've chosen to pursue writing in graduate school, and the sport of boxing is often one of my topics. I'm just starting to research ninjutsu for a project now.

I was forced into boxing as soon as I could stand. When I was five years old, a kickboxing gym agreed to accept me as a student and let me spar with the other kids, so my father acquiesced. My trainer was Nasser Niavaroni, the man who previously worked Dennis Alexio's corner. As soon as I was old enough, though, my father moved me to the Police Athletic League. I grew away from the sport as I got older. But I have always been a fan. I fell in love with it again on my own terms as a teenager, and I picked it back up in college. I've had my garage set up as a personal boxing gym for the past eight years. I don't compete, but I exercise a few times a week.

I've chosen to pursue writing in graduate school, and the sport of boxing is often one of my topics. I'm just starting to research ninjutsu for a project now.

Try and stick with academic sources when in comes to Ninpo/Ninjitsu and from there try to find live interview subjects. There are a lot of BS "ninja" styles and instructors out there. Chances are if the instructor is based out of a strip mall... Maybe not a real ninja.

I did Kickboxing as a kid but for the purposes to make myself cooler here I did Muay Thai and trained by the deadliest fighters in back street Bangkok. I also turned down the Kickboxer reboot.

I did Kickboxing as a kid but for the purposes to make myself cooler here I did Muay Thai and trained by the deadliest fighters in back street Bangkok. I also turned down the Kickboxer reboot.

"You are not Japanese... You are not a Tanaka!"

Old man you're a little old for full contact. Also you make tricks with bricks, so I'll hold back on ya.

Old man you're a little old for full contact. Also you make tricks with bricks, so I'll hold back on ya.

I feel I'm too old for life some days. Still... I have been getting the itch and have started lightly training again just to keep the juices flowing a bit. Sad part is how much it feels I have forgotten. Put a stick or a sword/blade in my hands though and I am still pretty decent.

You know what I'm finding more and more days? Kids wanting to take up martial arts or boxing so they could beat up others. Not to instill any confidence or discipline, nor for any sort of extra curricular activity, just to beat another kid up. Now that was happening when I was a kid too but there's more of this nowadays.

Nice thread. I just recently started training in Shuri Goju Ryu Karate. I'd done some TKD as a kid. Did a few BJJ classes as well last year. I'm loving the training and fact that I can now, after some serious health issue. I love all Martial arts. I'd suggest to anyone who ever wanted to learn, why not now? As someone once told me, the best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is now. So go for it. I will be trying an Arnis class soon as well. Also until recently, I didn't know I loved the tonfa.

Last edited:
You know what I'm finding more and more days? Kids wanting to take up martial arts or boxing so they could beat up others. Not to instill any confidence or discipline, nor for any sort of extra curricular activity, just to beat another kid up. Now that was happening when I was a kid too but there's more of this nowadays.

I think there are always those types. There is a reason why there are all those martial arts parables about some student that thought he would automatically learn some terribly deadly technique who gets weeded out by some sort of repetitive task, showing that those unable to deal with discipline would not last.

Nice thread. I just recently started training in Shuri Goju Ryu Karate. I'd done some TKD as a kid. Did a few BJJ classes as well last year. I'm loving the training and fact that I can now, after some serious health issue. I love all Martial arts. I'd suggest to anyone who ever wanted to learn, why not now? As someone once told me, the best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is now. So go for it. I will be trying an Arnis class soon as well. Also until recently, I didn't know I loved the tonfa.

That is very inspiring. I have nothing but respect for the traditional arts like Goju. My first instructor's instructor had gone onto learning Shorinji Kenpo. He came in and showed us some pinpoint pressure strikes and let's just say my hands had a stinging pain for a week.

I remember an old acquaintance of mine doing Capoeira. That's Brazilian martial arts mixed with some dance movies.

I remember an old acquaintance of mine doing Capoeira. That's Brazilian martial arts mixed with some dance movies.

Capoeira has an interesting history. Likely adapted by African slaves from some tribal traditions it developed the twirling kicks and flamboyant techniques due to slaves on Brazilian plantations having chains on their hands but not on their feet. As with many martial arts with roots in oppressed peoples it shows the inherent ingenuity of the human animal. This is similar to weapons like the Tonfa and the Nunchaku which were adapted into weapons by farmers who were not allowed swords, spears or other proper weapons. They hid their fighting arts and weapons in plain sight of their oppressors so if they were ever searched for weapons all that would be found were common farming tools. So too with these Brazilian slaves who hid this fighting art within a communal dance which they could practice in the open with the overseers none the wiser. In the old style of Capoeira the practitioner would often hold a razor blade or similar sharp object by their toes so they would inflict even greater damage from their kicks.

Yikes imagine having blades at the end of your foot? Slice someones' neck and that be it.

Yikes imagine having blades at the end of your foot? Slice someones' neck and that be it.

Brazil has often had high crime in it's cities. Before Brazilian Jiujitsu became so widely practiced Copoeira was a way for lots of people to defend themselves and it could and still can be pretty rough on those streets.

Are there any martial arts that can be self learnt for conditioning purposes? And what are some good videos of self learning boxing? All I got is a heavy bag at the gym. Might think about joining a boxing or MT gym in the future when money isn't an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"