The Official 'I Still Love The Hulk TV Show' Thread

More comic trivia...
Hulk co-creator Jack "King" Kirby appeared in a Season 2 episode (the name is escaping me). At the very end of the episode, a "police sketch artist" (Kirby) is trying to draw a picture of Banner via a description from someone lying in a hospital bed.

I remember seeing that! Now THAT is cool.

Comic trivia: "Frye's Creature" actor Dick Durock went on to play Swamp Thing.

Yep, and I also read that they wanted him to be the original Hulk, but later felt that he was too thin.

I believe that episode was Mystery Man Part 2.

Yep, and I also read that they wanted him to be the original Hulk, but later felt that he was too thin.

Well in regards to that, here is another piece of trivia...

The first actor cast as the Hulk was actually Richard Keil, who played Jaws in the Bond films with Roger Moore. Scenes were initially shot with Keil in full Hulk make-up. Keil was a very tall man, but Kenneth Johnson decided he needed someone with a more muscular build to play the role and brought in Lou, whom had just been seen on-screen playing opposite Arnold in the documentary Pumping Iron. However...there still exist one shot in the pilot episode that has Keil as Hulk and it is about a 2 second overhead shot....which I have posted below.

cap001.jpg

More comic trivia...
Hulk co-creator Jack "King" Kirby appeared in a Season 2 episode (the name is escaping me). At the very end of the episode, a "police sketch artist" (Kirby) is trying to draw a picture of Banner via a description from someone lying in a hospital bed.

:applaud Awesome. We can only hope the king gets his due props this time around, unlike another movie I could mention. :cmad:

I know, i have season 2 on dvd, but i want to buy another season besides season 1, cause i recorded alot of those eps during Hulks run on Sci-Fi channel.

Any suggestions on which season would make the BEST buy..?

Well in regards to that, here is another piece of trivia...

The first actor cast as the Hulk was actually Richard Keil, who played Jaws in the Bond films with Roger Moore. Scenes were initially shot with Keil in full Hulk make-up. Keil was a very tall man, but Kenneth Johnson decided he needed someone with a more muscular build to play the role and brought in Lou, whom had just been seen on-screen playing opposite Arnold in the documentary Pumping Iron. However...there still exist one shot in the pilot episode that has Keil as Hulk and it is about a 2 second overhead shot....which I have posted below.

cap001.jpg

That's an awesome pic. Where'd you get that from?

That's an awesome pic. Where'd you get that from?

I took a frame from the DVD of the pilot episode. Johnson actually talks about it in his commentary track on there.

I have to now splurge and buy all the seasons. I was holding off until they were all digitally remastered and single sided. I hate double sided disks.

I hate them too, but need my 'Bixby fix'. :yay:

I hate them too, but need my 'Bixby fix'. :yay:

I have most of the episodes taped. I'm hoping the the new movie is so successful that Universal will go back and re-master all the disks.

I have most of the episodes taped. I'm hoping the the new movie is so successful that Universal will go back and re-master all the disks.

FYI for the undecided: The TIH season set discs are all single-sided (so far) and in those nice, space-saving slimline cases. Season 2 is using the 2-disc double storage slimline cases, further reducing wasted shelf space.

As far as Universal going back and ponying up the dough to pay for digitally re-storing the episodes (I assume you meant restoration - sharpening, removing dirt & grain, adjusting color, etc.)... well I wouldn't hold your breath. Universal is notoriously cheap about paying anything but the bare minimum need just to get the films ported over to digital format for DVD.

There are so many wonderful shows Universal has in their library, but they have rarely done much of anything to give fans the extras we love and crave so much. If Kenny Johnson hadn't done his three commentaries for FREE we would've had the typical 'barebones' releases normally seen from Universal. Quite sad, really. I also am collecting "Emergency!" by season, and despite the fact that the two main actors are still alive and well, (along with many of the extended cast), Universal hasn't included any of the supplementary material they should: interviews, commentaries, behind the scenes, old home movies, promos & tie-ins, intro bits & next week's clips, etc. etc. Absolutely NOTHING. It makes me angry and sickened at the same time, yet I find also find myself just being thankful that the shows are being released on DVD at all. Ugh.

Same thing about "The Six Million Dollar Man" in this case. By the time Universal works out the legal BS to get it on DVD, everyone involved will probably be dead! Friggin' cheapjack weasels.

Maybe if TIH TV series is someday cut on the HD market we'll see restored hi-def versions - but don't bet on it.:(

FYI for the undecided: The TIH season set discs are all single-sided (so far) and in those nice, space-saving slimline cases. Season 2 is using the 2-disc double storage slimline cases, further reducing wasted shelf space.

As far as Universal going back and ponying up the dough to pay for digitally re-storing the episodes (I assume you meant restoration - sharpening, removing dirt & grain, adjusting color, etc.)... well I wouldn't hold your breath. Universal is notoriously cheap about paying anything but the bare minimum need just to get the films ported over to digital format for DVD.

There are so many wonderful shows Universal has in their library, but they have rarely done much of anything to give fans the extras we love and crave so much. If Kenny Johnson hadn't done his three commentaries for FREE we would've had the typical 'barebones' releases normally seen from Universal. Quite sad, really. I also am collecting "Emergency!" by season, and despite the fact that the two main actors are still alive and well, (along with many of the extended cast), Universal hasn't included any of the supplementary material they should: interviews, commentaries, behind the scenes, old home movies, promos & tie-ins, intro bits & next week's clips, etc. etc. Absolutely NOTHING. It makes me angry and sickened at the same time, yet I find also find myself just being thankful that the shows are being released on DVD at all. Ugh.

Same thing about "The Six Million Dollar Man" in this case. By the time Universal works out the legal BS to get it on DVD, everyone involved will probably be dead! Friggin' cheapjack weasels.

Maybe if TIH TV series is someday cut on the HD market we'll see restored hi-def versions - but don't bet on it.:(

I don't expect them to 'George Lucas' anything just basically sharpen it up a bit. I figure if this movie is big, and if it has the television feel to it, Universal may later reissue the series in hopes of capitalizing off the next film.

By single sided, I thought that there wasn't any artwork on the disks. Yes, I know that Universal is cheap.

My hopes.

I don't expect them to 'George Lucas' anything just basically sharpen it up a bit. I figure if this movie is big, and if it has the television feel to it, Universal may later reissue the series in hopes of capitalizing off the next film.

By single sided, I thought that there wasn't any artwork on the disks. Yes, I know that Universal is cheap.

My hopes.

It sure would be awesome if these companies (and not just Universal) would pay to have all of their stuff run through the same restoration process used to such great effect recently with those James Bond Ultimate sets. One of my best investments in DVDs, for sure. They just look flat out amazing! Would that all our classic TV & movie favs got such top shelf treatment. *SIGH*

You hit the nail on the head with that.

I'm sure technology will be so fantastic that one day we'll be able to "photo shop" movies at home and not have to wait for the studios.

^Such things don't even sound out of the realm of possibility anymore. So much that was strictly Buck Rogers / Star Wars has come to pass in teh last 20 years that I know it will happen, just give it time. Like most other things, it'll be uber-expensive when first released but as time goes on and other manufacturers jump into the area the price will fall dramatically, and then we can all do our very own digital restoration at home in front of the PC.

I personally have a slew of old TV shows and movies on both DVD and tape that could sure use a major upgrade, and likely will never see one due to their offbeat, um... eclectic nature. After all, I can't honestly see a major video label shelling out the cash to do a frame-by-frame restoration / upgrade on "The Monster of Piedras Blancas" or "The Legend of Boggy Creek." :woot:

Oh, and to steer this back on topic, TIH seasons 3 & 4 will reportedly hit retail shelves a week or two before the big movie comes out, with season 5 in late Summer / early Fall. Kenny Johnson has recorded a commentary for the 2-part "Prometheus" episode (Yay!) and is trying to wrangle the legalities out with Universal in order to include a 'blooper' reel in either s3 or s4, as well!

I for one would luv to see that!! :applaud

And for those who've never seen it, here's a really cool pic of Kenneth Johnson with Bill Bixby doing his first make-up tests with those white contacts. It's a simultaneously cool & creepy shot.
2u8l40o.jpg

I e-mailed Johnson years ago. I told him me and my dad used to watch the show together and in spite of the age difference, we both were (and are today) fans of the show.

Ken Johnson not only replied to me but sent me that very picture signed and a birthday card for my father. True story. Nice guy.

I e-mailed Johnson years ago. I told him me and my dad used to watch the show together and in spite of the age difference, we both were (and are today) fans of the show.

Ken Johnson not only replied to me but sent me that very picture signed and a birthday card for my father. True story. Nice guy.

That's a cool story. From the interviews I have seen and read, he seems like a nice guy and that he has been appreciative of fans.

I'll always love this show, it's one of my favorite live action TV shows of all time. It had the perfect usage of the Hulk & Bill Bixby was just perfect as David Banner. It's just too bad that the show was ended so prematurely & we didn't get to see more adventures.

I was going through my stuff and came accross an old issue of Rampaging Hulk, issue 10 from 1978. It contains a pretty good interview with Bixby. This was in the second season of the show, so it was going really strong at this point. This was the time when Hulk was pretty much Marvel's most popular character. There is an editorial article in the mag titled "Year of the Hulk". In fact, the Rampaging Hulk was pretty much a reaction to make a more adult tone to support the show.

The article with Bixby is below. You can tell he really was proud of the show and took it seriously.

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

H3.jpg

H4.jpg

H5.jpg

Then I found this salute on the last page of issue 27, the final issue.

H6.jpg

Cool, thanks for posting those, co2! I love that old Hulk magazine! I think some of the buzz for this movie is causing many of us to dig out our old favorite issues...

:applaud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"