Days of Future Past The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread - Part 1

We already know the first scene according to Singer will be a shot of Blink and another future non-X-men character (was it Warpath?).

Yeah I agree with you, they need to find some other way to promote the film other than just focusing on Wolverine because I think it's having a bad effect on some audiences.

I'd say focus on Magneto, Mystique and the X-Men of the future.

LOL poor Beast

We already know the first scene according to Singer will be a shot of Blink and another future non-X-men character (was it Warpath?).

That could be a pre-title scene maybe they are trying to send a message to xavier the location next you see the jet, that's my guess

That could be a pre-title scene maybe they are trying to send a message to xavier the location next you see the jet, that's my guess

My guess Is that Blink,Warpath and maybe even Bishop will be fighting off a Sentinel somewhere in the USA and they meet the X-men there. They plan the time-travel and head over to China where these new mutants live.

something like that would be a nice introduction

something like that would be a nice introduction

Yeah just imagine Blink, Warpath fighting a sentinel and then more Sentinels show up, and they are in trouble until the X-men make the save. Fastball special, Storm in the sky and ice-man using his ice-slides. Would be cool to see that.

that wouldnt be cool..... that would be EPIC, lol

My guess Is that Blink,Warpath and maybe even Bishop will be fighting off a Sentinel somewhere in the USA and they meet the X-men there. They plan the time-travel and head over to China where these new mutants live.

It looks like the new mutants meet them at the temple, while the xmen are walking towards the temple bishop and co look like they are in the temple already meeting them there, so would be strange to have a beginning scene where the xmen save them and then be told where he temple is and to meet them there and they go seperate ways, I honestly think xavier probably knows bishop already and have organised something, I think they have to jump into the plot quickly, if they put to much time into the beginning in the future it will mean less of the core story for the OT, and I think some fans want just to have another excuse to see them fighting sentinels but honestly I can't see it happening like that

I seriously think its just going to be new mutants trying to find a way to send a message containing the location of the temple to xavier

Last edited:
It's possable the begining of film will be showing new characters at Temple,and Jet arrives with at Least Xavier,Magneto,Wolverine,Storm,and Colossus.
Since iceman and Kitty are wearing more civilan clothes maybe the others return from finding them and bringing them to Temple.

We may not see the sentinles In 2023 till they attack the temple during the time travel mission.

It looks like the new mutants meet them at the temple, while the xmen are walking towards the temple bishop and co look like they are in the temple already meeting them there, so would be strange to have a beginning scene where the xmen save them and then be told where he temple is and to meet them there and they go seperate ways, I honestly think xavier probably knows bishop already and have organised something, I think they have to jump into the plot quickly, if they put to much time into the beginning in the future it will mean less of the core story for the OT, and I think some fans want just to have another excuse to see them fighting sentinels but honestly I can't see it happening like that

You make some good points, but the beginning scene should be an awesome one. Just like Singer did with X-men 2 and the Nightcrawler. Perhaps the X-men won't save Blink and Warpath, but you can almost guess Blink and Warpath will be having an action scene, and it might be against a sentinel. They need to show that the World has gone to crap and that there are man made robots ruling the world and trying to kill these mutants. That is a very important part of the story. Perhaps only Blink and Warpath are the ones who are on a mission in the USA and they meet the X-men and tell them about a "safe" place to go. Then Blink and Warpath go with them to China where they meet their leader in Bishop.

You make some good points, but the beginning scene should be an awesome one. Just like Singer did with X-men 2 and the Nightcrawler. Perhaps the X-men won't save Blink and Warpath, but you can almost guess Blink and Warpath will be having an action scene, and it might be against a sentinel. They need to show that the World has gone to crap and that there are man made robots ruling the world and trying to kill these mutants. That is a very important part of the story. Perhaps only Blink and Warpath are the ones who are on a mission in the USA and they meet the X-men and tell them about a "safe" place to go. Then Blink and Warpath go with them to China where they meet their leader in Bishop.

You can have the new mutants fighting sentinels at the start of the film to show what the future looks like and these new mutants powers, you don't really need the OT to show up for that

I just wouldn't bank hopes up on it, the whole new mutants telling he xmen where the temple is then they go separate ways then the xmen get the jet and fly to the temple where the new mutants already are, doesn't flow very well from how it looks, but hey

The thing with First Class is that, the whole point of the film was to make Magneto look like the cool character, the one the audience should follow and the one who should be considered right in the end.

Umm...no. That was not the point of FIRST CLASS. Magneto is quite clearly the one who makes the wrong moral decision and the villain. This is how the film presents events. Charles didn't need additional scenes explaining why he would protect humans, because Charles Xavier was presented as someone who cared about both.

People have this perception that FIRST CLASS has a ton of Magneto and very little Xavier. That's simply not the case. Their screentime and the focus given to each is quite similar.

Magneto Is still more the centric character In First Class.Xavier Is secondary lead of film.

you seem to be taking it like vaughn,singer and FOX did it as a personal attack against xaviers character to make magneto look better, (...)

i don't think the idea was to make the magneto character and actor better then xavier/mcavoy, it just came with the story and the character, i really don't think it was personal
You misinterpreted what I said. Of course it wasn't meant as a personal attack against Xavier or a vendetta against James McAvoy. If that was the case I wouldn't even like the film, and FC is my second favorite after X2. What I said is that it's clear that Vaughn loves Magneto, and he doesn't care about Xavier - which is quite different from saying that he hated Xavier or the actor portraying him. That would be ridiculous, given that McAvoy was the first actor invited to join, and Fassbender had to audition alongside other actors while James was already in.

But Vaughn was in love with the idea of Bondneto, and even if (I believe) the script had more balance between the two characters, in the end a lot of Charles stuff had to go (the telepathic battle, his relationship with Moira) while Vaughn focused on the character who fascinated him the most. I read a lot of interviews during First Class, and Vaughn never mentions Charles and the kind of character development he wanted for him. And even for the sequel he already had Magneto in mind, with his comment that Charles was now in a wheelchair (useless?) and he would have to find a new nemesis to fight Magneto.

All in all, what I'm saying is nothing new, and it's easy to find all the interviews and articles all over the net. Vaughn didn't hate Charles, and he still came up with a beautiful story of friendship with a lot of chemistry between the two actors, but the film was developed in a way that Magento's POV was the one Vaughn was really interested in.

You said that not any actor could make Magneto great, and I agree. But you have also to agree that it's harder to make a character who's not supposed to be the center of attention interesting, and McAvoy managed it. It's just that he's probably not the actor who's going to get the accolades.

I do think people find that First Class is more Magneto centric because Magneto has a bigger agenda in the movie than Professor X, like killing the lead villain of the film. Its also a plus that the film opened and ended with him.

Last edited:
What a lot of people fail to see, and what I believe is proof of James McAvoy's empathic acting, is that Vaughn was clearly set to make Xavier look like a jerk when compared to Magneto, and in the hands of a lesser actor he would probably end being just a boring and opaque character. James was so passionately into Charles that he didn't let the focus on Magneto (and therefore, the focus on another actor) engulf his acting and still came up with something beautiful, despite the odds. I truly admire any actor capable of doing this.

Well, Vaughn also picked McAvoy for the part. Maybe he didn't care for Xavier as much, but at the very least he was interested in making a character who he thought was a bore in the comics more interesting in his movie, and hiring an actor who he thought could bring another dimension to the role. Plus, however great any actor might be, you can never underestimate the influence of the director when it comes to the actor's performance.

And personally I'm glad that the relationship with Moira got cut. I can't see what significant insight it could have shed on Charles, other than that he's a flirt (which we've already seen). And since Charles is obviously cool with humans even before meeting Moira, there's no particular drama to be gained from a mutant/human romance either.

Last edited:
I agree cutting the romance subplot for the friendship plot worked for it

But who says that the Charles/Moira interaction we didn't see in the film was only about a tryst? Did anyone read the script before Vaughn decided to get rid of their scenes? The writers seemed annoyed to find out that so many Moira's scenes were cut, they thought they were important to validate Charles Xavier's perspective. So I guess that there were more things than just the two silly romantic scenes we saw in the extras.

Mrs Vimes said:
And since Charles is obviously cool with humans even before meeting Moira, there's no particular drama to be gained from a mutant/human romance either.
I don't think that being "cool" with humans demonstrated exactly Charles' views on human/mutant interaction, other than show him as a guy who liked to flirt around. I would like to think that both Charles and Moira had maybe a brief, serious debate over the subject. At least it would have been good knowing that the writers saw Moira as more than just a pretty face who was there to be the object of Charles' flirty ways. The way women were presented in First Class was appalling, really.

Last edited:
If the thing with Moira were an actual relationship and not just a fling, then not only could it have worked, but it would play into Xavier's beliefs about humans. As for Magneto, I don't think that they were trying to make him "cool" since he clearly made the wrong choice. However, I do think that they wanted to make him complex and sympathetic enough that you could UNDERSTAND his POV and choice, as well as understand why he would make that choice even if you still think that it's the wrong one.

I thought that, as it was, FC could have done with fleshing out the Erik/Charles, Charles/Raven, Erik/Raven relationships more, so I don't think I'd want another major relationship thrown into the mix, as well.

One thing I appreciated about Moira was that it was refreshing to have a human character who's genuinely sympathetic towards the mutants. I suspect that in DoFP we'll be back to bad humans all around.

I thought that, as it was, FC could have done with fleshing out the Erik/Charles, Charles/Raven, Erik/Raven relationships more, so I don't think I'd want another major relationship thrown into the mix, as well.
Fleshing out more the relationships with the three of them would have been perfect, but it still wouldn't be a human/mutant interaction, which would have been great too because it's part of the definition of the Charles Xavier character after all. In the film, Charles is always cut abruptly by either Erik or Raven when he's about to express his ideas.

Apparently Filth finally got a North American distributor, with a tentative release of spring 2014.

Apparently Filth finally got a North American distributor, with a tentative release of spring 2014.

OMG!--finally! Spring 2014? Six months after it was initially released in the UK...geez, I guess I can't complain--beggers can't be chooser.

Lucky Americans! :awesome:

And Australians, Japanese, Germans...

Who knows when it'll be released in my country, but the American release gave me hope. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"