Days of Future Past The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread - Part 1

I wish they could have given more time for Charles to decide he would help Logan and all. I agree that it was rushed. But from all the transitions, that one was the worst.

I mean, Charles made it very clear that his problems with Erik were set on a personal level, and not really the whole "you killed the president I hate you". It was a "you shot me, paralyzed me, abandoned me and took my sister away" hate. In return for opening up his heart and soul, Charles got a dramatic tantrum from Erik, who was essentially blaming him for the deaths of other mutants. I mean, that would be enough to cement the hurt even deeper. But as soon Erik approaches Charles with the chessboard, the first thing he says is "I didn't kill the president". So he kept on ignoring whatever Charles told him. Which would be perfectly fine for Magneto, who's essentially a very self-absorbed person with his own agenda, so it's not like he would care that much about Charles' feelings. But why Charles accepted his so-called friend back so quickly, when in fact he didn't give a damn about the president when he punched Erik or when he told him he had been abandoned? And to top it all he went all "oh you must think I'm foolish!" I was like "Nooooooooooo Charles! You're not foolish! Give him bad place!" :oldrazz:
Erik then said a weak "sorry", but it's not like he needed to, because Charles had already warmed to him again as soon as he knew Erik hadn't killed the president. It was all incredibly abrupt.

Charles is incredibly forgiving--we see this numerous times--but when he finally gives Erik just a little moment of well-deserved rage, Erik twists the argument around, deflecting what he did to Charles (which was, essentially, what Charles was angry about). What made the scene work for me was that, even though Charles didn't get the last word, Logan stood up for him, calling Erik an a-hole, and telling this master of magnetism to clean up the mess he made.

But Charles' forgiveness did feel rushed. Even if he didn't know about JFK, he isn't foolish to think that Erik would be capable of murdering someone for his own agenda--we've seen this many times before. I did like that Erik said he was sorry for what happened to Charles and felt he was genuine with his apology. I didn't like how easily Charles brushed it off, like it was all in the past when it certainly wasn't.

I think this is why I value James' acting even more. Because even though Charles' arc wasn't really developed as Erik's arc was in First Class, he gave such earnest, intense life to young Charles that it felt like he had lived through each and every nuanced aspect of his story - it's like his acting gives the arc its full circle. Outstanding. :awesome:

I usually don't give props to actors just doing their job--if you can't embody a character, don't be an actor. But God...I gotta hand it to James. He just owned every scene he was in, and even if the script was a bit wonky at times, he really got the best out of what it could be. It really says something when Hugh Jackman, who is another astounding actor, repeatedly compliments James on how amazing he did in this film on every dang interview.

Yes. It's one of the most complicated moral dilemmas Charles has to face - does he always have to let Erik go because he trusts that he'll eventually do the right thing, but who knows how many people will die in the process? I mean, is Charles' love for Erik really so deep that he'll give him a free pass for everything - betraying them, almost killing him (twice, at this point, not counting the OT films), almost killing Raven, "killing" Logan, almost killing the president and who knows how many people more? I have to confess that I find the dynamics of their friendship really difficult to understand. So far, in ANY of the X-films, OT, First Class and DOFP, Erik didn't do ONE thing for Charles that would justify that, although they have different ideologies, there's this profound bond between them. It's all just too one-sided, which can only make me think in a sado-masochist, dysfunctional relationship. I was expecting DOFP to change this a bit and that I would finally understand why Charles calls Erik "old friend", but alas. Let's see what will happen in Apocalypse.

I will say this--I didn't like Charles letting Magneto go that easily, either. And I do find it odd that, with all the other mutants that have been captured and experimented on...why was Magneto not handed over to Trask Industries as well? Was his profile too well-known at the time? Was it the fact that the government got to him first, before Trask could try? Stryker almost got his hands on Havok and the other soldiers in Saigon--why not Magneto from the Pentagon?

So the idea that he'd be "as good as dead" doesn't really fly with me. But we have seen what does happen to Magneto when he is captured in the future, with Stryker forcing him to tell him everything about Xavier's school and Cerebro. Having Erik in custody does put others in peril, but at this point, Charles doesn't really know this yet. It feels like a small plot hole to me.

Magneto was imprisoned after allegedly killing JFK. Then he escaped (albeit with help), caused chaos at the Paris Peace Accords, then attacked the White House itself and tried to assassinate President Nixon, his staff, and Trask. I can easily see the government going "this guy is too dangerous and containing him didn't work before, so lets just end him right here and solve the problem permanently."

Well they think he killed Kennedy and he was about to kill Nixon which didn't help his case at all

I assume at that point he would be seen as way to dangerous, I mean they put him in a well protected prison and he was still released

Man I can't stop thinking about this performance. I've always gravitated towards Magneeter, both in the movies and in the comics. McAvoys performance single handedly made me an Xavier fan. I'm so excited to see where he goes in this next film.

Really excited about the next one too, and I believe that the Charles/Erik relationship will be further explored and have a better resolution. I hope!

How many times have you seen the film? I know I think about all the Charles' scenes and keep wanting to see them again. So good. Going my fourth time next week. :)

I DONT WANT YOUR FFUUUUTTUAAAA!

that scene was great.

I plan watching it at least 6 times. I'll try. The problem is that so many new films are being released and there aren't many cinema screens in my city. :(

That's one of the good things about having the two theaters on 42nd St in NYC...they have so many screens that movies stay there forever. DOFP will probably still be there in August.

I've seen it 3 so far, definitely going back for more. :woot:

That's one of the good things about having the two theaters on 42nd St in NYC...they have so many screens that movies stay there forever. DOFP will probably still be there in August.

I've seen it 3 so far, definitely going back for more. :woot:

you are one lucky..... :woot: 2nd time friday!

So the biggest fan of Anne has finally seen DOFP.

Loved it!

Just saw it for the first time and loved it! It was great, and Xavier was a definite highlight. Both Stewart and McAvoy were excellent. The scene where they mentally communicate with each other across the timeline was quite memorable.

I think this is why I value James' acting even more. Because even though Charles' arc wasn't really developed as Erik's arc was in First Class, he gave such earnest, intense life to young Charles that it felt like he had lived through each and every nuanced aspect of his story - it's like his acting gives the arc its full circle. Outstanding. :awesome:

I thought that James in the end fought a losing battle against the script, but yes all props to him for his performance - he's done as much as humanly possible.

I mean, is Charles' love for Erik really so deep that he'll give him a free pass for everything - betraying them, almost killing him (twice, at this point, not counting the OT films), almost killing Raven, "killing" Logan, almost killing the president and who knows how many people more? I have to confess that I find the dynamics of their friendship really difficult to understand. So far, in ANY of the X-films, OT, First Class and DOFP, Erik didn't do ONE thing for Charles that would justify that, although they have different ideologies, there's this profound bond between them. It's all just too one-sided, which can only make me think in a sado-masochist, dysfunctional relationship.

Yeah I think that Charles is dangerously close to looking like some battered wife stuck in a toxic relationship, going "I know there's good in him! I believe he'll change!" all the while being kicked over and over and over again. It's hard to see how their relationship can possibly be called a friendship when there's only one person actually acting as a friend.

It would be different maybe if, in the earlier films, we got to see them interact outside of the whole human/mutant conflict where they're able to somehow compartmentalise their relationship as individuals from where they stand as mutant leaders. But because the films always focus on the latter, and because Erik will always put the mutant cause above Charles, he just ends up looking like one horrible so-called friend every time.

I was expecting DOFP to change this a bit and that I would finally understand why Charles calls Erik "old friend", but alas. Let's see what will happen in Apocalypse.

My worry is that Kinberg, Singer and the rest might be unwilling to do anything really interesting with these characters once they got their origin stories out of the way. Especially with all this talk of how, even though they've rewritten the future now, this next film is still about filling in the blanks in between DoFP and X1 and moving things closer to status quo. Like, once Erik's origin story was told in FC, DoFP essentially went back to recycling all the usual Magneto tropes from the previous films and the ending of FC. I sure hope that in Apocalypse it won't be just, "Charles hangs in the background and is put out of the action midway through the movie because he's too powerful".

I've no doubt that Singer loves these characters, but he might be a bit too comfortable with them.

I actually liked that we got to see Charles comment about how painful of a life Logan has had till now.

I mean, aside from Yashida in "The Wolverine", no one has really known (let alone comment) on how hard of a life Wolverine has had till this point and you could really feel the sincerity when Charles said..."You poor..poor..man" to Logan.

I did like that Erik said he was sorry for what happened to Charles and felt he was genuine with his apology.

I liked that too.

I also liked that little moment in Pentagon when Charles spits that he never wants to get inside Erik's head again, and Erik's expression flickers for a moment like he's saddened by those words. I loved pretty much everything about their meeting at Pentagon; unlike some of the later scenes everything about it rang true.

I definitely see your point--I wish there was more "umph" as Charles comes to his epiphanies. Unfortunately, this is one major dilemma of the big sci-fi action blockbuster--the characters are sidelined for the plot.

The heavy emphasis on the plot was a factor, yes. But I think it was also because the emotional focus of the movie was kinda diffused. In First Class, despite the many different strands and characters, the relationship between Erik and Charles was unquestionably the emotional centre, and the main character arc of Erik becoming Magneto was intrinsically tied into that. In DoFP, the Erik/Charles relationship is still important, particularly in the first half of the film, but it's not anywhere near as central and Charles' own personal arc kinda happens separately to it. Plus there's also Mystique and the question of whether she can be saved from her own dark future, with many of the characters' conversations revolving around her. Plus there's Logan's mission to save the future and his relationship with Charles, and the fact that it's really him who gets the big emotional payoff of the story, when he sees Jean alive again.

Last edited:
I found the Charles/Erik dynamic really heart warming. I dig their relationship, they're like a Lennon/McCartney. Both great but different approaches. The outburst Charles gives on the plane, followed by Erik's anger which causes serious turbulence. The following chess game was lovely. A very short moment, but the way they both attempted to rekindle a friendship despite all the past trouble was inspiring to me. They were both hurt souls, and Charles could see this, even if they were uniting out of necessity. I also liked seeing the future versions of them together getting on, with Erik's comment about them wasting all those years fighting.

Not gonna lie, I thought McCoy was ok in First Class. He wasn't as good as Fassbender's Magneto IMO.

In this film, I thought he had the best performance of DOFP.

This was definitely the best Xavier we've ever gotten, and it was nice to get a film in which he was essentially the main character (First Class was more Magneto driven).

Yeah I think that Charles is dangerously close to looking like some battered wife stuck in a toxic relationship, going "I know there's good in him! I believe he'll change!" all the while being kicked over and over and over again. It's hard to see how their relationship can possibly be called a friendship when there's only one person actually acting as a friend.

It would be different maybe if, in the earlier films, we got to see them interact outside of the whole human/mutant conflict where they're able to somehow compartmentalise their relationship as individuals from where they stand as mutant leaders. But because the films always focus on the latter, and because Erik will always put the mutant cause above Charles, he just ends up looking like one horrible so-called friend every time.

I really wish we'd gotten a full-blown FC trilogy in which Magneto and Charles were allies until the end. Then we really could've seen their friendship bloom. As it is, it's kind of hard to imagine these guys as being friends forever.

My worry is that Kinberg, Singer and the rest might be unwilling to do anything really interesting with these characters once they got their origin stories out of the way. Especially with all this talk of how, even though they've rewritten the future now, this next film is still about filling in the blanks in between DoFP and X1 and moving things closer to status quo. Like, once Erik's origin story was told in FC, DoFP essentially went back to recycling all the usual Magneto tropes from the previous films and the ending of FC. I sure hope that in Apocalypse it won't be just, "Charles hangs in the background and is put out of the action midway through the movie because he's too powerful".

I've no doubt that Singer loves these characters, but he might be a bit too comfortable with them.
That is my fear too. That Singer will just fill in the blanks and bring these movies close to X1 and X2 although they are in old timeline. Whereas I want these movies going forward to forge new path and not worry about the old trilogy what so ever.

I agree that Singer loves these characters (at least some of them) and I do give him credit but X1 and X2 are his babies and I don't know if he is willing to let them go and how much new direction he can bring to this franchise.

I don't want the FC cast and new ones to be used as flashbacks or fill in the blanks for what came before. The fact that they keep saying to forget about X3 and XOW only like what happened in dofp also haven't erased X1 and X2 worries me.

Man I can't stop thinking about this performance. I've always gravitated towards Magneeter, both in the movies and in the comics. McAvoys performance single handedly made me an Xavier fan. I'm so excited to see where he goes in this next film.

Totally agree with you and everyone raving about his performance. It was outstanding. McAvoy is a brilliant actor.

On another note, has the final monologue of the movie been discussed? I didn't really pay much attention to it on my first view but on the second view I realized it was James McAvoy and not Patrick Stewart that was delivering it!

I thought it was perfect. It was like a thematic counterpart to the one at the beginning with Stewart. Also thought it was symbolic of the transition of the storytelling to the past cast moving forward.

Don't remember what he said though :( Would be great if anyone does.

I actually liked that we got to see Charles comment about how painful of a life Logan has had till now.

I mean, aside from Yashida in "The Wolverine", no one has really known (let alone comment) on how hard of a life Wolverine has had till this point and you could really feel the sincerity when Charles said..."You poor..poor..man" to Logan.
Loved it. Because Wolverine is so strong and almost immortal, people can take for granted everything he goes trough, all his suffering. So that short montage was a remembrance of all that, and also a display of Charles' "real power", as James says - his empathy. And how much it made Charles suffer too. Great scene.

Mrs Vimes said:
I also liked that little moment in Pentagon when Charles spits that he never wants to get inside Erik's head again, and Erik's expression flickers for a moment like he's saddened by those words. I loved pretty much everything about their meeting at Pentagon; unlike some of the later scenes everything about it rang true.
Agree. Everything about the meeting at the Pentagon is great - Charles surprised and saddened expression when he sees Erik, before the anger takes over and he punches him, Erik saying "and walking!" almost flippantly, Charles commanding the situation "you'll do what I say; no killings. I need your word, Erik" and Erik's little nod, Charles saying he would never get inside his head again, which certainly felt like another punch to Erik.

I don't like how the plane scene developed, because Charles acted so strong and so certain in their first meeting, he shouldn't have let Erik dominate the situation so quickly in that moment.

I just watched x3 again and I gotta say, there really is a distinct difference in how the Old Professor X went about with things when compared to what Young Charles did in the past.

What I'm referring to is that, in X3, they made it a point to emphasize on how much Professor X thought it was necessary to control Jean so that her powers don't become a danger to herself and to others around her. He strongly felt that controlling her was the only way and we all know on how this turned out.

Now in "Days of Future Past", we see Charles finally learning that he can, nor should, control Mystique and allow her to make her own decisions, which of course brought up about positive results.

Given that the original Professor X never experienced the new events in the past, it's likely that he never learned this important lesson and thus why he did what he did with Jean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"