Days of Future Past The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait...McAvoy will shave his head? Even though it seems like he won't according to Singer...

Maybe we'll see it both ways..

and I also wonder if it'll play into any continuity already set up for his appearance in the 80's, fully walking in X3..

Was Xavier British in the comics, or retroactively now a Brit?

It seems like Singer really changed the way we look at Xavier now, as a English fellow. Even in the newer cartoons, he was a Brit (Evolution, Wolverine & the X-Men). He was clearly American in the 90s toon.

I know that he DID go to Oxford in the comics too, but only for a few years; he was still a New Yorker. I think.

Xavier's a full blown New Yorker as far as I know, and I wouldn't mind if James McAvoy did an American accent for Xavier this time out.

Xavier's American. One would logically assume James will be affecting an American accent for this film. I haven't seen all his films, but is there one besides Wanted in which he affects an American accent?

Well because this is a prequel and not a reboot, so Stewart did not hide the fact that he had an accent. So, I'm sure James will be Brit. Will he mimic Stewart? That's unknown.

Or maybe...they can say it's a New English accent (think Kelsey Grammar) but I doubt it.

It's safe to say that Xavier in the X-verse is English. Juggs was a Brit too though they never mentioned that they were related but still, I think Ratner was conscious of the casting choice and accent(s).

Last edited:
Hm, I still think James may use an American accent for the film, but we'll see.

Umm..Did you not read what I just wrote?

Even if he was American,he's not gonna have a typical American accent. It'll probably be mid-Atlantic, New England accent.

That's not much of an opinion when I just stated the facts. It just goes against the previous movies all together. I know continuity sucks in the X-Men movies but Xavier's accent is something that I can't see them change, especially since they got a British actor for the role.

Again, if he was American, he's not gonna have a typical American accent, like the one he did in Wanted.

I suppose not. Anyway, wonder if we'll get any interviews with James about the film anytime soon.

Well McAvoy will have to do either a American accent or English accent as his scottish

Since they are following continuity, I expect McAvoy having an English one. Who honestly cares about Xavier's accent? Mother****ing Patrick Stewart was playing him. I don't think anyone was thinking, "Hey, he's not English!" while watching him.

I hope he has an English accent.

McAvoy used an English accent in Starter for 10 and at least one other film, so we'll see what path he takes for First Class.

Xavier's American. One would logically assume James will be affecting an American accent for this film. I haven't seen all his films, but is there one besides Wanted in which he affects an American accent?
Patrick Stewart's naturally accent wasn't at 100% in the movies...He kinda toned it down a tad IMO.

If James uses an accent in the movie, it probably will be very slightly toned down as well...But, it's hard to say...It depends on how they want to flesh out his early years..

Patrick Stewart's naturally accent wasn't at 100% in the movies...He kinda toned it down a tad IMO.

If James uses an accent in the movie, it probably will be very slightly toned down as well...But, it's hard to say...It depends on how they want to flesh out his early years..

Indeed, Patrick did tone down his accent for the films. It's just a matter of how they handle his early years, I agree. Here's a sample from Professor X's wiki page.

With help from his powers and his natural genius, Xavier becomes an excellent student and athlete, though he gives up the latter, believing his powers give him an unfair advantage. He graduates with honors at the age of 16 from Harvard University.[10] In graduate studies he receives Ph.D.s in Genetics, Biophysics, and Psychology[11] with a two year residence at Oxford University.[12] He is later appointed Adjunct Professor at Columbia University.[13]

Based on this, I assume he'll be teaching at Oxford.

i also was wondereing about the accent. i really couldnt tell if stewart was using one or it just slipped through sometimes. i mean isnt xavier a new yorker?

Now that we know we'll see how Xavier lost the use of his legs in First Class, anyone care to share their opinion on how that will happen?

Around what point in the film do you think it'd take place? Middle to end, I'd say.

Yep. Probably during the climax of the movie. One of the last scenes of the film would be him in the wheelchair.

I expect it to be something like the Rogue streak. Not a big plot point or anything, but happens at the climax. Except it will have more drama, since, oh well, he's losing the ability to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"