The Official JANUARY JONES/Emma Frost Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Jun 6, 2011.

1. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I wonder if there's a Mystique-Magneto-Emma love triangle in the next film!

2. FingersMcGhee

FingersMcGhee Active Member

I'm soooo taking this as my signature.... You guys make it sooo easy.
    I just read this aloud at my work... never heard eveyone laugh so hard.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. JP

JP Smelly

Jones gets worse with each viewing. Sweet Jesus.

4. Midnight Black

Midnight Black Defender of the Universe

She was good. Though I like her in Mad Men I didn't think she would be that great in this, since she is younger looking and doesn't showcase a lot of range. I was wrong.

Yeah I was expecting a strong, kick-ass Emma Frost that was a bad-ass like Jean in X3, but instead I got a cold, calculating kick ass Emma Frost which is more aligned with Emma after I thought about it. January Jones did an okay job, but some of her lines came off really cheesy (i.e. the interrogation scene where she speaks to the CIA).

5. Deaths Head II

Deaths Head II The Sequel

The interrogation scene should have been cut out of the film. Vaughn should have just been like "wow, she can't make this line convincing at all."

6. Midnight Black

Yes, I agree, glad I wasn't the only one that thought that. She had the Cold hearted woman thing down, but couldn't deliver the lines. Plus, she looked a tad bit too innocent for what I always pictured Emma to be.

7. Exploding Boy

Exploding Boy Well-Known Member

Her diamond form shattering made no sense to me.

8. Midnight Black

Although her skin is as tough as diamonds, Magneto wrapped the metal around her neck until it began chocking her because she still needed to breath since her skin expands and contracts. So as she became weak so did her diamond skin. Idk.

9. Exploding Boy

Exploding Boy Well-Known Member

Diamond still wouldn't shatter under those conditions...(besides does she even need to breath when in diamond form?) It was just a convenient plot hole to get her out of diamond form so they could read her mind.

10. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Also, she moved around so the diamond had to have "joints" or she'd be a statue lol

11. Midnight Black

Yeah, maybe since her skin/neck was being tighten it was pushing against itself. Even though she is diamond, she still feels the pressure against her.

12. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

LOL I really don't get how this woman gets work.

I mean she's nice to look at, but the horrible acting job just negates the whole thing.

13. spark627

spark627 Well-Known Member

Honestly, the diamond skin, although cool, makes no sense (in the books or the movie). The cracking via bed post was weird, but technically she shouldn't be able to walk, so we can't get too picky.

My biggest peeve was that her clothes magically became diamond. It makes no sense.

14. BestGirl

BestGirl Chillin' on Dragonstone

I actually liked January as Emma. She was cold and unemotional but it worked for the character.

I've seen people speculate that she bonds her clothes to her skin first.

15. SuperSoldier985

SuperSoldier985 That's Funny

Yeah, I'm on that side that says that Jones definitely isn't a great actress, but she CAN do well given the right role and performance that's ASKED of her.

I've seen the first four seasons of Mad Men and she has some pretty bad acting moments in it but she also has some great scene stealing moments on the show as well. I think she plays the mousy, ice-queen role the best because she seems to possess that nature anyway.

I'm also on that side that understands how some people would say that she's the worst actress working today. While I'm fine with how they approached the character in this movie, the way they wrote her in the movie and how they chose to compliment Jones' acting style with Frost's personality, I was fine with that as well.

As I've said before, they can turn this around for the character and for Jones' credibility as well, as long as they're willing to do more with her and give her a moment to shine emotionally.

16. littyx

littyx Well-Known Member

Wow, her acting wasn't THAT bad.

I will say after my 1st viewing, the scenes that stuck with me were with her and Charles. The portrayal of the psychics powers, blocking each other out, finding out that there were more than just themselves, impressing each other with different mind tricks, was amazing! I always thought how difficult it would be to have mainstream audiences really get the feeling of a psychics powers when not reading a comic, but this was dead on. And I really felt her facial expressions, movements, were great.

17. spark627

spark627 Well-Known Member

I don't think she was terrible but she certainly isn't very good... luckily, IMO, looking cold and aloof is what Emma needs to be so it worked.

18. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I actually wish that the diamond form aspect wasnt even in the movie. That was a secondary mutation in the comics if I recall, so they could have easily just not included it. It's not like her diamond form helped her much.

19. SuperSoldier985

Well, it came in handy in a lot of ways, but I'd rather they put it in than not. It's become one of the more interesting and well accepted "secondary mutations" as far as those go.

20. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

The diamond form certainly helped her deliver that lame line while she was in police custody...

When she needed her diamond form the most...when Magneto wa destroying the boat and fire and debris were flying past her head...she opted to stay in normal flesh form...

So...a small and simple rewrite and the diamonds would be useless, and thered be no need to have brass from a bed crush diamonds.

21. SuperSoldier985

Sounds like a lot of nitpicking to me... :o

22. psyonic

psyonic X-Man

She can't access her telepathy in diamond form so she needed to be in human form to keep Xavier blocked.. there :p

And diamonds are not indestructible. Erik applied enough pressure onto her to shatter her with metal, it was never about the metal but the pressure itself. The metal will not break, it might scratch but anything under pressure would crack. I bet if you took a hammer to a diamond and kept pounding and pounding, the diamond will eventually crack. The hammer might dent but the diamond will crack.

23. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

So much nitpicking!

Stop chatting you lot, get to the cinema and see the frickin film a few more times so it get a sequel! All this incessant fussing and babbling on won't help! :xmen::hehe:

24. psyonic

psyonic X-Man

I got the impression that Emma is a more experienced telepath than Xavier being able to block him out on the yacht and being able to sense him before he realized she was there.

The telepathic battle should have been included in First Class in some form or another but I hope we'll see animated storyboards of it on the DVD :D

25. SuperSoldier985

Is it wrong that I read that in an accent? :woot: