The Official Kevin Costner IS Pa Kent Thread

Costner as Jonathan Kent? I like it.

And I for one am all for BOTH Kents being a presence in Clarks adult life. It allows the audience an opportunity to see Clark in a different light. A more personable perspective.

Having both parents still around gives them an opportunity to present a side of Superman that has yet to be explored in the movie universe.

Agreed :up:

Pa dying in S:TM worked really well, but this generation has grown up with Pa around, and it wouldn't hurt the movie to have him there. It would especially separate it from old concepts from other movies.

If this is true, it's another excellent step for this production.

Annette Bening as Ma Kent makes so much sense. plus they could use the oscar nomination for promotion.

I don't get the 'warm' vibe from benning that I would expect from ma kent.

Costner would be fantastic as Jonathan Kent. As someone said earlier, he's slightly reminiscent of John Schneider, who was one of the better things in Smallville.

Not to run down Glenn Ford's version, but I much prefer Pa Kent to be a younger fitter man who can still manage to run the farm himself, rather than this 70-80yr old. I think with today's younger audience they would relate better to a Pa Kent who actually looks like a father, not a grandfather.

Costner has great acting ability and a lot of presence. He also has that midwestern look and voice down to a tee, and playing a Kansas farmer wouldn't be a huge stretch for him. Going with an actor like Costner for Jonathan Kent also distances the film greatly from the Donner versions.

Great casting - if he gets it.

I'd still like to see Meryl Streep as Ma Kent, I think she would play off Costner very well. There's about 5yrs age difference between them but it would be barely noticeable on screen, Streep looks quite young and fit for her age. Annette Benning is a great actress but I agree that she doesn't give off a warm vibe, she has more of a Hilary Clinton vibe lol

Last edited:
on second thought, 15 years is probably too big of an age gap between her and costner

Going through a list of U.S. actresses born in the fifties, and I don't recognize too many of them.

kim basinger

MV5BMTM2NjA0MjM3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzM4MjYxMg@@._V1._SY314_CR12,0,214,314_.jpg

Michelle Pfeiffer

MV5BMTUzNjI0Njc5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTM2MjYz._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Actresses_from_the_United_States_born_in_the_1950s

Of course that is excluding actresses born in the late forties, early sixties, and outside of the U.S.

I've been staying out of this forum largely because I haven't had much to contribute, or haven't been terribly excited about any recent news. This is the first bit of casting to really get me pumpin for this movie. Kevin's made some of my favorite movies, and Mr. Brooks is one of my favorite movies from the last several years. This should be (if the Jonathan Kent rumor is true) a really great throwback to something like Field of Dreams and that everyman, Midwesterner quality that Kevin can play so well.

I'm glad that the general consensus is favorable for Costner. I love him in almost all of his movie... yes... even Waterworld and Postman. I feel he will add some really good characterization to Pa Kent.

Excellent if true that he'll be given a role in the superman flick.

I like costner a lot. He's make a damn good Pa Kent, Perry white or Jor-Ell.

geena davis for martha maybe? shes 6 ' tho.

Last edited:
I was thinkin Geena as a potential compliment. My first thought was Melanie Griffith, mostly based off her performance in Milk Money. She really shows this great maternal side in that movie. Too bad she's not taken great care of herself over the years. Patricia Heaton is another that popped into my head as a potential counterpart to Kevin.

good if he is involved.

Not to run down Glenn Ford's version, but I much prefer Pa Kent to be a younger fitter man who can still manage to run the farm himself, rather than this 70-80yr old. I think with today's younger audience they would relate better to a Pa Kent who actually looks like a father, not a grandfather.

You do realize that Glen Ford was 60 when he filmed S:TM, only five years older than Costner is now. Glen ford was very vital as Pa Kent.
Kids.....

I do indeed. My point is that he looked and acted a lot older and more frail. You can't honestly tell me that Glenn Ford in S:TM the movie and Kevin Costner look similar in terms of age & fitness, even though there's only 4yrs of difference? That's why I'm glad that Costner has been mentioned, he doesn't look or act like he's 56.

Like I said, I'm not running down Glenn's Ford version - he did a great job and it worked back then.

With Costner, I'd like to see Susan Sarandon as Ma Kent.

Not a fan of Costner's work nor do I think much of his ability.

However a role like Pa Kent could be right in his wheelhouse.

I do indeed. My point is that he looked and acted a lot older and more frail. You can't honestly tell me that Glenn Ford in S:TM the movie and Kevin Costner look similar in terms of age & fitness, even though there's only 4yrs of difference? That's why I'm glad that Costner has been mentioned, he doesn't look or act like he's 56.

Like I said, I'm not running down Glenn's Ford version - he did a great job and it worked back then.

I feel the same way, and your point makes perfect sense to me anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"