The Official Mass Effect Thread - Part 2

Mass Effect 3 was definitely rushed. They should have taken a 3 maybe 4 year dev cycle to lock everything they wanted to do down. The developers were operating on fumes by the time the game dropped, and by then their had already been push backs.

The endings just so happened to be the part that suffered the most.

At one point ALL (ME2 crew included) the squad mates would have been available or at least recruitable for ME3. There would be a roster with a limited number of spots available and Shepard could pick who he wanted for his squad and who he wanted to stay behind to help the Alliance. Only mandatory characters would have been EDI and Liara.

Sadly there just wasn't enough time for that. And then there were the paper thin scanning missions.

Mass Effect 3 was definitely rushed. They should have taken a 3 maybe 4 year dev cycle to lock everything they wanted to do down. The developers were operating on fumes by the time the game dropped, and by then their had already been push backs.

The endings just so happened to be the part that suffered the most.

At one point ALL (ME2 crew included) the squad mates would have been available or at least recruitable for ME3. There would be a roster with a limited number of spots available and Shepard could pick who he wanted for his squad and who he wanted to stay behind to help the Alliance. Only mandatory characters would have been EDI and Liara.

Sadly there just wasn't enough time for that. And then there were the paper thin scanning missions.

Dude, that would have been awesome. That really would have been cool if they had done it.

I blame EA. When in doubt, I always blame EA. Even when they're not even involved, I just instinctively blame EA. I can't even help it anymore.

I bet the majority of the players will never see that animation, but because its in a stupid gif on the internet, everyone will think that animation happens every single time you go down the stairs. Fun fact, it doesn't.

This game was doomed from the start simply because of the events of the last game, which were completely blown out of proportion by the clowns who simply have nothing better to do than to whine over their keyboard.

You might end up being right, actually. It is the internet, and this **** just has a way of taking off. I'm sure whenever I get around to playing Assassins Creed Unity, I probably won't run into that 'no face' glitch. But, it's probably one of things that game is most known for. And some of these things are just unavoidable. I've seen enough glitches of The Witcher 3 going around, glitches I've never actually experienced while playing, either.

I think it's a shame what happened with Mass Effect 3, too. It's such a weird position I find myself, usually, too. I can't and won't defend that horrible ending. But, I don't think it should define that game, or the series. I strongly believe that the game was great, literally up until the ending. Even the build up, with Anderson there and a moment that felt as potent as the 'microwave hallway' in MGS4 for me. And then...we got that ending.

And, at the same time, I didn't like what came after either. The way Bioware got strong armed into doing the uncut version. As a storyteller, someone who went to school and learned to be a storyteller, the way they got forced into doing the uncut ending...which I've never even seen, either, I don't know, it felt wrong to me.

I think the biggest problem with Mass Effect 3 is it ignores nearly everything you do in 2. Its like the 50 plus hours of playing and meeting these people, wasn't all that important.

Oh and they stuck and important character behind a pay wall.

Dude, that would have been awesome. That really would have been cool if they had done it.

I blame EA. When in doubt, I always blame EA. Even when they're not even involved, I just instinctively blame EA. I can't even help it anymore.

You might end up being right, actually. It is the internet, and this **** just has a way of taking off. I'm sure whenever I get around to playing Assassins Creed Unity, I probably won't run into that 'no face' glitch. But, it's probably one of things that game is most known for. And some of these things are just unavoidable. I've seen enough glitches of The Witcher 3 going around, glitches I've never actually experienced while playing, either.

I think it's a shame what happened with Mass Effect 3, too. It's such a weird position I find myself, usually, too. I can't and won't defend that horrible ending. But, I don't think it should define that game, or the series. I strongly believe that the game was great, literally up until the ending. Even the build up, with Anderson there and a moment that felt as potent as the 'microwave hallway' in MGS4 for me. And then...we got that ending.

And, at the same time, I didn't like what came after either. The way Bioware got strong armed into doing the uncut version. As a storyteller, someone who went to school and learned to be a storyteller, the way they got forced into doing the uncut ending...which I've never even seen, either, I don't know, it felt wrong to me.

Assassin's Creed Unity is a good example. I encountered some occasional very minor bugs before the patches, but I'd wager the game for most people isn't the bug riddled horror show that it's internet reputation says it is. The internet basically turned Unity into a pariah. Not that Ubisoft is innocent. They released a troubled game, but with patches it became a good stable game. And Hell I would argue that Unity is and was no more unstable than the average Bioware and Bethesda game. Seriously those two studios' games are always buggy but people don't seem to turn against them the way gamers turned against Unity and Ubisoft.

Unity is my favorite Assassin's Creed game. It is crazy buggy. It isn't the big stuff, it is the little things that constantly grate that are the problem imo.

Did either of you run into that infamous 'no face' glitch? The internet would have us believe that thing was unavoidable, with as much of that thing I've seen in pictures or gifs around.

Here's the latest from both sly nation and polygon and vic's second lets play along with the Easy aAllies(formerly the GT Review crew) own video befor their reviews

Mass Effect: Andromeda’s microtransactions aren’t so micro March 14 2017

If you want to buy any Mass Effect: Andromeda loot boxes, you might want to start saving up now.
Read more

Mass Effect: Andromeda‘s microtransactions may not live up to the name.
In the game’s multiplayer mode, you’ll be able to buy in-game Andromeda Points with real-world money. These Points are used to buy blind loot boxes that contain weapons and boosts. While we don’t yet know how many Points you’ll want to buy, since we don’t know how much these in-game loot boxes will cost, a U.K. retailer has offered us our first glimpse of the conversion rate between real money and points.
Retailer ShopTo (via VG 24/7) is taking pre-orders on the Andromeda Points, and the bigger packs get pretty pricey. We only know U.K. prices at the moment.

• 500 points – £3.95 (roughly $4.80)
  • 1020 points – £7.96 (roughly $9.56)
  • 2150 points – £15.95 (roughly $19.39)
  • 3250 points – £24.95 (roughly $30.33)
  • 5750 points – £39.95 (roughly $48.57)
  • 12,000 points – £79.96 (roughly $97.20)
That means that you’ll probably be paying a hundred bucks for the highest pack of points, on top of the cost of the game and any other goodies you want to pick up, like the Prima Strategy Guide.
Mass Effect: Andromeda releases on March 21st for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.
[YT]Wj3mnfR0jto[/YT]
Everything you need to know about Mass Effect Andromeda

• 14,050 views4 months ago
Source: VG 24/7

[FONT=&quot]Mass Effect: Andromeda could be stealing a popular Dragon Age featur[FONT=&quot][/FONT]e March 15 2017[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Early copies of the next Mass Effect hint at mysterious future features.Read more

[/FONT]

Early copies of the next Mass Effect hint at mysterious future features.

Mass Effect: Andromeda has a feature that will let you share your character.
Though the details are still pretty scarce, users with early access to the game have noticed an option in the character creator referencing a website that doesn’t yet exist: Mass Effect Archives.
“If you’ve set up an account on the Mass Effect Archives website, this option allows you to import a Mass Effect: Andromeda character you’ve previously uploaded or use custom appearances that others have shared online,” the option reads. The text was captured in a screenshot by Reddit user Musely.
From that description, it seems that the website will keep track of your character’s appearance and let you share it with the world. What we don’t know, though, is whether this website will track anything else, such as story progression or major decisions. It’s possible, though not confirmed, that this new site could be similar to BioWare’s Dragon Age Keep, which lets players keep track of their decisions through past Dragon Age games and adjusts new installments of the series appropriately.
We’ll find out soon enough when Mass Effect: Andromeda releases. It’ll be out on March 21st on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.
Source: VG 24/7

Polygon

4 hrs ·

Mass Effect’s animations aren’t good. GamerGate blamed a woman. BioWare says knock it off.

Last edited:

This has spoiler warning for a good reason not many people got past this point

2:51:28
[YT]4ii18PWVWgk[/YT]
Mass Effect Andromeda (part 2) - Let's Play - Electric Playground

• 706 views4 hours ago

2:34:57

[YT]LAIa396awvo[/YT]
Blood Starts Mass Effect: Andromeda - There Will Be Spoilers

8,309 views3 days ago

hqdefault.jpg
2:12:43
[YT]5eNoq7qkl7Y[/YT]
EZA Uneasy Alliance Tournament
12,057 views3 days ago

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]sourc[FONT=&quot]e[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]: [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Sly Nation , EGM, POLYGON,
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]EPN.tv &
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Jeez, really?? People harassed someone over the facial animation?

And if that wasn't bad enough, the woman they went after isn't even on the dev team for Andromeda?

**** social media, man.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the woman they went after isn't even on the dev team for Andromeda?

**** social media, man.
it's reminding of what I saw withthe marvel heroes launch and number of others thing where people are just plain nasty but they refuse to say any in helpful way it's just swear at the devs ore the people that public comunity manager and say your gonna sue or kill them , and the half the fan become divided and it really gets nasty. oh not mention people that didn't buy the game are even nastier and just come to attack the makers . oy.

the stuff I see I tell ya.

**** social media, man.
Gamergate was always a thing for sexist pigs to try and justify harassing women. Just a little more proof.

I've watched some videos of the terribad character animations and facial animations. This game looks and sounds bad. The VO sounded monotone and just off.

Basically the game is completely unpolished. What are the impressions of people that have already played it? I think I'm most let down by the fact that BW rushed this way ahead of schedule (EA the bane of every independent gaming studio) or the dev team has just stopped giving a ****. They've lost their passion it seems. IDK....

Sigh.... I like BW, gave them chances when I felt I shouldn't have (DA3), but I've got to vote with my wallet on this one. I refuse to buy incomplete games.

I wish Microsoft would have bought BioWare back in the day instead of EA. I feel like they would still be near the top when it comes to developing quality RPGs.

it's reminding of what I saw withthe marvel heroes launch and number of others thing where people are just plain nasty but they refuse to say any in helpful way it's just swear at the devs ore the people that public comunity manager and say your gonna sue or kill them , and the half the fan become divided and it really gets nasty. oh not mention people that didn't buy the game are even nastier and just come to attack the makers . oy.

the stuff I see I tell ya.

I may be misunderstanding you, but I hate this narrative. Bioware played that same card during the ME3 launch, with devs boo hooing on Twitter and social media about how unfair the fans were being and even threatened to close down their message boards.

This isn't a case of entitled fanboys running amuck. Are there a few people who overreact, throw tantrums and cross the line? Sure. But that is standard internet trolling. Go to CNN.com and read any article's comments and you will see the same. Ditto if you go to Bleacher Report or ESPN.com and scroll through those comments. TVLine, Politico, even official Facebook pages, any site with commentary has trolls.

But focusing so heavily on that bothers me because Bioware has used trolls as a marketing diversion to victimize themselves and invalidate legitimate criticism. Mind you, other studios and athletes and filmmakers (I'm looking your direction Zack Snyder and DCEU) have employed these tactics. But I am picking on Bioware for a few reasons: (1) we are in the Mass Effect thread; (2) Bioware seems to have mastered this tactic better than any other video game publisher; and (3) Bioware's employees are among the most active on social media and use that social media presence to fan the flame of this narrative.

However, I digress, my point is that Bioware launches games with deficiencies, be it a ****** and rushed ending that completely contradicts every pre-launch marketing promise Bioware made; a game that is repetitive, lifeless, and empty, and also contradicts every pre-launch marketing promise Bioware made (DA:I); or now, Andromeda, which seems to be a glitch filled game with a generic plot, bad voice acting, mediocre graphics (that Bioware intentionally hid in marketing) and...again, contradicts every pre-launch marketing promise Bioware made. Then when people start to call Bioware out on this, Bioware sends its employees on the internet marketing tour where they jump onto social media and play victim. They whine about how they are being picked on unfairly by ungrateful fans. Its an attempt to shift the narrative off of the poor product Bioware has released and instead use a few trolls to fuel a false narrative about how fans are just irrationally angry because they are entitled crybabies who didn't get the game that they wanted so they are being unfair. In other words, because Bioware cannot defend against the criticisms, they instead attack the critics and try to lump them all together as trolls.

It is a disingenuous narrative. In fact, it is one we now see Donald Trump employ as POTUS. Why respond to valid criticism when you can instead make up a false narrative about the "dishonest media" and "paid protestors" on the left. Obviously, it is far more dangerous when Trump does it on that scale, but it is frustrating none the less to see Bioware do it also.

And perhaps I am overly sensitive because I have seen this before, from Bioware. As some here may remember, I was one of the early critics of the ME3 ending. And as soon as you mentioned that you didn't like the ending, you instantly had to defend yourself, because the allegations of being an entitled, ungrateful, whiny, troll started coming down. It didn't matter how poor the ending was. That substance of the criticism wasn't the topic of debate. Instead the critic was.

Ultimately, history validates the critics. NO ONE today will say "MASS EFFECT 3'S ENDING WAS AMAZING!" The ending has become a joke in video game circles. Hell, the TV show Silicon Valley had a line in, I believe, season 2 where a character says "this is Mass Effect 3 ending bad."

But history validating the critics does not change a damn thing for Bioware. They make their money at launch. Not 5 years down the road. So, since ME3, Bioware seems to have employed a strategy where they will release flawed games, demonize anyone who pushes back, then laugh their way to the bank. And when the next time comes around, they will make a bunch of promises and swear how they learned from their mistakes...then repeat the same damn process.

I dunno, rant aside, it just really grinds my gears when the conversation of valid criticism turns into the direction of how mean and unfair the fans are.

I wish Microsoft would have bought BioWare back in the day instead of EA. I feel like they would still be near the top when it comes to developing quality RPGs.

EA's not the problem. Bioware is. Since the ME3 debacle, there have been all kinds of inside reports from current and former BW employees. Not once have I read "EA is meddling with Bioware's development process!" The only thing that I could have seen EA mandating was a micro-transaction based multiplayer system. Which, while unfortunate, does not seem to be among anyone's primary complaints.

The ME3 ending wasn't an EA thing. It was a Casey Hudson thing. Shortly following ME3's launch, there was a big expose that interviewed one of the writers of the ME-series and he basically confirmed that there was a much better ending initially planned, involving Tali's ME2 recruitment mission's subplot (dark matter) that would essentially explain that the Reapers are harvesting organics as a way to curb the expansion of black matter, which threatens the entire universe. Shepard would then have a choice between sacrificing humanity (whose genetic code gave the Reapers some way to prevent it, thus the human-Reaper hybrid of ME2) or destroying the Reapers, possibly at the expense of the entire galaxy. It would've been a much more satisfying ending and a far more logical explanation for the Reapers. For reasons unknown to the rest of the development team, Hudson unilaterally changed the ending to one he wrote himself at the last minute. Whether it was ego, bitterness over an internet leak, or whatever, EA didn't have **** to do with it. Casey Hudson did.

Then comes DA:I. Again, this wasn't EA's fault. Development on DA:I wasn't rushed. The problem was Bioware and the development team. I recall vividly the first moment I had hesitation about DA:I. It was when I read an interview with the head designer and he said how Skyrim inspired them to create a huge, content filled open world. So rather than stick to their strengths of story and character based RPGs, Bioware opted to create a hybrid of their system and Bethesda's. This led to the creation of a fairly hollow game with a bunch of large, but empty maps and little content aside from generic fetch quests. A big part of this is that the Bioware team's only experience in creating a world like Skyrim's is SWTOR. So Bioware's attempt to create a massive, open world, instead resembles a single player MMORPG. It makes sense because that is where BW's expertise lies. Again, not EA's fault. Bioware's fault for biting off more than they can chew and not knowing where their own strengths lie.

As to this game, the complaints I am seeing are graphics/glitches and story/characterization. Bioware had plenty of development time on this. So I really don't see how any of that can be attributed to corporate meddling. It sounds to me like BW just dropped the ball.

I may be misunderstanding you, but I hate this narrative. Bioware played that same card during the ME3 launch, with devs boo hooing on Twitter and social media about how unfair the fans were being and even threatened to close down their message boards.

This isn't a case of entitled fanboys running amuck. Are there a few people who overreact, throw tantrums and cross the line? Sure. But that is standard internet trolling. Go to CNN.com and read any article's comments and you will see the same. Ditto if you go to Bleacher Report or ESPN.com and scroll through those comments. TVLine, Politico, even official Facebook pages, any site with commentary has trolls.

But focusing so heavily on that bothers me because Bioware has used trolls as a marketing diversion to victimize themselves and invalidate legitimate criticism. Mind you, other studios and athletes and filmmakers (I'm looking your direction Zack Snyder and DCEU) have employed these tactics. But I am picking on Bioware for a few reasons: (1) we are in the Mass Effect thread; (2) Bioware seems to have mastered this tactic better than any other video game publisher; and (3) Bioware's employees are among the most active on social media and use that social media presence to fan the flame of this narrative.

However, I digress, my point is that Bioware launches games with deficiencies, be it a ****** and rushed ending that completely contradicts every pre-launch marketing promise Bioware made; a game that is repetitive, lifeless, and empty, and also contradicts every pre-launch marketing promise Bioware made (DA:I); or now, Andromeda, which seems to be a glitch filled game with a generic plot, bad voice acting, mediocre graphics (that Bioware intentionally hid in marketing) and...again, contradicts every pre-launch marketing promise Bioware made. Then when people start to call Bioware out on this, Bioware sends its employees on the internet marketing tour where they jump onto social media and play victim. They whine about how they are being picked on unfairly by ungrateful fans. Its an attempt to shift the narrative off of the poor product Bioware has released and instead use a few trolls to fuel a false narrative about how fans are just irrationally angry because they are entitled crybabies who didn't get the game that they wanted so they are being unfair. In other words, because Bioware cannot defend against the criticisms, they instead attack the critics and try to lump them all together as trolls.

It is a disingenuous narrative. In fact, it is one we now see Donald Trump employ as POTUS. Why respond to valid criticism when you can instead make up a false narrative about the "dishonest media" and "paid protestors" on the left. Obviously, it is far more dangerous when Trump does it on that scale, but it is frustrating none the less to see Bioware do it also.

And perhaps I am overly sensitive because I have seen this before, from Bioware. As some here may remember, I was one of the early critics of the ME3 ending. And as soon as you mentioned that you didn't like the ending, you instantly had to defend yourself, because the allegations of being an entitled, ungrateful, whiny, troll started coming down. It didn't matter how poor the ending was. That substance of the criticism wasn't the topic of debate. Instead the critic was.

Ultimately, history validates the critics. NO ONE today will say "MASS EFFECT 3'S ENDING WAS AMAZING!" The ending has become a joke in video game circles. Hell, the TV show Silicon Valley had a line in, I believe, season 2 where a character says "this is Mass Effect 3 ending bad."

But history validating the critics does not change a damn thing for Bioware. They make their money at launch. Not 5 years down the road. So, since ME3, Bioware seems to have employed a strategy where they will release flawed games, demonize anyone who pushes back, then laugh their way to the bank. And when the next time comes around, they will make a bunch of promises and swear how they learned from their mistakes...then repeat the same damn process.

I dunno, rant aside, it just really grinds my gears when the conversation of valid criticism turns into the direction of how mean and unfair the fans are.

Is BioWare really to blame? Or is it the parent company that sets the budget, deadline, ect ect? The last great game BioWare made was Mass Effect 2 and that was in development before the EA acquisition. I know if I worked on Andromeda I'd be just as pissed as the fans, but these are also people that have to support families and pay bills.

Food for thought.

That ME3 above ending sounds much better.

Is BioWare really to blame? Or is it the parent company that sets the budget, deadline, ect ect? The last great game BioWare made was Mass Effect 2 and that was in development before the EA acquisition. I know if I worked on Andromeda I'd be just as pissed as the fans, but these are also people that have to support families and pay bills.

Food for thought.
Did you not read what Matt wrote? He actually answered this stuff.

Also what about Andromeda sounds like it is EA's fault? EA said they could even delay it 6 months and it would be perfectly fine.

Look I'm not going to defend garbage, but I can't believe BioWare would put out such a **** game intentionally. I had no idea that EA was willing to push this back. I don't even know... SMH

I feel bad for people that preordered. Like I should be gloating, but that would be messed up. It's like seeing an old former champ getting their ass handed to them in the ring.

I agree with pretty much all of this. But one thing I think is a real problem with Bioware is that what they use to do well, others do as well, while providing other, better content. So now all the obvious flaws of Bioware games, from combat, content and storytelling, just doesn't hold up.

They were really good at making characters you wanted to hang out with.

Look I'm not going to defend garbage, but I can't believe BioWare would put out such a **** game intentionally. I had no idea that EA was willing to push this back. I don't even know... SMH
Why? What about Bioware makes you think they wouldn't?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-says-it-would-delay-mass-effect-andromeda-again/1100-6445017/

BioWare's Mass Effect Andromeda is scheduled to come out by the end of EA's current fiscal year, meaning it will be out by the end of March 2017. However, during an earnings call today, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said EA would delay the game if it felt it needed more time to make it better.

"Right now, Mass Effect is tracking extremely well," he said about Andromeda. "The game looks beautiful. And we're really pleased with its progress. However, as you've seen, we are willing to make moves in launch dates if we feel it's necessary to deliver the right player experience."

If the gameplay is not where BioWare wants it to be, the developer could delay it with EA's blessing. The delay could be a week, or it could be "three or four or five months" if need be, Jorgensen said.

For the time being, Andromeda continues to be in EA's guidance for the current fiscal year. Jorgensen said EA will communicate a delay, if one is to happen, as soon as the decision is made.

After planning to launch the game in 2016, EA delayed Andromeda, only saying it would now be released during its fourth fiscal quarter, which spans January through March. Earlier this year, a delay until "early 2017" was confirmed by BioWare, explaining that it "need the right amount of time to make sure [it] deliver everything the game can be and should be."

An Amazon listing for an Andromeda tie-in art book suggested the game might launch on March 21, but this is not confirmed.

With a release just months away, EA and BioWare have begun to pull back the curtain a little. At the PlayStation Meeting in September, we got our best look at Andromeda gameplay yet. They also revealed that the male and female characters both exist in the in-game world and are siblings.

Just today, EA released a new teaser trailer for Andromeda that teased players will explore regions outside of the Milky Way galaxy. More details are coming on November 7, which is not a random day, but is known as N7 Day.

When the doctors still owned the company they would NEVER ship an unfinished game. I guess that's why the left around ME3.

I agree with pretty much all of this. But one thing I think is a real problem with Bioware is that what they use to do well, others do as well, while providing other, better content. So now all the obvious flaws of Bioware games, from combat, content and storytelling, just doesn't hold up.

They were really good at making characters you wanted to hang out with.

I could not agree more if I tried. I actually have a soft spot for DA:II. I know a lot of people don't like it, and I understand the complaints. The gme is essentially exploring the same town and replaying the same three dungeons over and over again for 20 hours. But the reason I love it is because of how great the characters are. They are well written, funny, and complex.

In Inquisition, the only character I cared about was Verric, a holdover from DA:2. Mind you, I never made it to the portions that included Hawke, Alister, and Morrigan as I got so worn down by the repetitive fetch quests that were necessary to advance the game. Had I gotten there, I may have been more forgiving. But in terms of your party, the only one I even remember is an elf who looks like the Dean from Community.

I think a big problem with this was the size of the castle. I had to navigate an entire dungeon to just talk to my party members. Compare that to DA:1 where they can all be accessed at a camp. And I realize that you had to walk around the town to talk to them in DA:2, but those characters were compelling enough that I wanted to take the walk to talk to them. I just didn't care enough about the DA:I characters to navigate that massive castle just to have a three minute convo of expository dialogue about characters I didn't care for.

It's still no excuse. You can't make a game to release in 2017 and have it look like it could have been released 10 years earlier in any single aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"