The Official Metal Gear Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Thread Manager, Sep 6, 2011.

1. godisawesome Registered

It really is. It gives you a dynamic character arc for both Snakes, since Solid goes from rookie to cynical badass and Big Boss gets to watch his plans fall apart.

Though, a part of me feels if you wanted to go full Quarantino as has been suggested by terry78, maybe you could tell the MGS3 story alongside Outer Heaven and Zanzibar, maybe playing around with the timeline of Big Boss's adventures to expose his motivation and maybe kind of hide his eventual reveal as the bad guy before explaining it in synchronization with the turn.

2. Boom I got nothin'

To be honest, I'd rather they just stick with Solid Snake in the movies. I wouldn't even touch Naked Snake's arc. I miss the days when Big Boss was this enigmatic, mythic figure that is often referenced and idolized by other characters but hardly ever seen. I also miss the days when Big Boss was a war-mongering lunatic, and not the misunderstood, heartbroken antihero the prequel games made him out to be.

Plus, since we are unlikely to be getting a video game remake of the original Metal Gear, a movie adaptation would be the next best thing that fans could ask for. Not to mention the fact that the original game has a very straightforward, simplified script (compared to the other games), which should make adapting that story a bit easier than, say, taking on Shadow Moses right out the gate.

Rookie Snake, old Big Boss, Frank ****ing Jaeger. Give me it.

#677 Boom, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. OutOfBoose ⊃∪∩⪽ 2020

They're making a big mistake trying to turn it into live action.

4. godisawesome Registered

That's honestly part of the reason why I figure that the film should focus on MG and MG:SS, and not try to adapt the modern games. The modern games are all cinematic, whereas the original two are both only roughly sketched narratives; the first especially, while the second has an admittedly strong foreshadowing Of future games inside its story.

5. terry78 LET'S FOSSILIZE 'EM!

Well, we always claim certain franchises are unfilmable, and sometimes they are. Other times they actually make it work better than the original.

6. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Wait... there’s a character called Naked Snake?

7. Boom I got nothin'

Honestly, Vogt-Roberts' enthusiasm for this project is so infectious that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he actually shows me something that is cause for concern.

Everyone is quick to point out Jurassic World and Skull Island, but he also wrote Saftey Not Guaranteed, which was quite good. It's not like the man is incapable of writing a decent script.

Besides, and I say this as a fan, the Metal Gear series has its fair share of cheesy, hamfisted, self-aware, and tongue-in-cheek writing. That is part of it's charm.

8. Boom I got nothin'

Yep. It's Big Boss' original code name. "Naked" because he was sent into a covert op with nothing but the most basic tools. Weapons and equipment were "on-site procurement."

9. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Safety Not Guaranteed was indeed a great movie and I personally really enjoyed Skull Island. JVR is A-OK in my book.

10. -VisionsVision- THE GREEN KNIGHT

I’ve ne er played the game... could someone give me a quick run down as to what I need to know?

11. TheVileOne Registered

Here's the basic gist:

- Terrorist/rebels/freedom fighters steal a highly advanced, dangerous weapon called Metal Gear; hold the world/people/countries hostage or for ransom

- Covert operative Solid/Naked Snake/Big Boss goes in to covertly take down the terrorist group and destroy Metal Gear.

- Conspiracies, back stabbing, geopolitics galore. Philosophy. Love blooming on a battlefield. High jinks ensue.

12. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I wonder if they ever do the movie version of TPP would they get Stefanie Joosten to play Quiet?

13. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I can't imagine that they would ever do an adaptation of TPP, but if they did, and if they actually kept Quiet, and if Kojima or Vogt-Roberts had any say in the matter of casting, then I'm sure she would.

14. Galactus123 Registered

If you don't mind old graphics I really recommend playing the first Metal Gear Solid on Playstation 1. It is a great game and it has a good story. MGS3 is a good starting point too if someone doesn't like playing old games for some reason but I really recommend trying it.

I hope they base the movie on MGS1. I really want to see Grey Fox in live action.

#689 Galactus123, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  15. The Big G A Filthy Ningen

15 years ago Sean Bean would have been the perfect Liquid Snake

16. -VisionsVision- THE GREEN KNIGHT

17. Fallen Angel Earth Bound

Maybe they could work in a bit of Guns of the Patriots.

18. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Gonna probably need a new director:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/silicon-valley-star-tj-miller-denies-sexual-assault-allegations/

19. Alien Anal Registered

Is this the same person that TJ Miller and his wife wrote a response about or is it a different person?

20. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

It's a different person, making it way worse for both men.

21. Alien Anal Registered

Yeh Ffs guys keep it in your pants!

This movie is doomed.

22. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Wow, that's definitely not good. Shame as I really liked Kong: Skull Island.

23. -VisionsVision- THE GREEN KNIGHT

24. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

25. Fallen Angel Earth Bound