THe Official Metal Gear Solid Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infamy said:
While I think the necessity for a live action Metal Gear film is unwarranted, I believe that trailer for Metal Gear 4 proved with the technoligical advancements of the PS3 that we essentially have a living breathing live action film right there. One of the main aspects of metal gear was integration and the actions you took and how you took them effected your surroundings and characters in the game some of this maybe lost in a live action rendition...but I digress this topic is here for a reason so I shall add my "dream" casting selections, there will probably be a few choices for each

Story:

Is this gonna be a remake of one of the games? solid? sons of liberty? snake eater? guns of the patriots? portable ops? even some of the more earlier probably not as well known games like snakes revenge? or ghost babel?

Is this gonna be a completely independant story not seen in any of the games? in canon or out of canon?

What interests me is this new PSP game Portable Ops, essentially sets up and starts the downfall of Big Boss, what if the movie is a continuation of that maybe kicking off from a cliff hanger left in the game...maybe if the film was called....Outer Heaven. Maybe the film will be about the ultimate downfall of one of the worlds greatest heroes, his decent into full darkness and the subsequent actions that heralds...sounds very Darth Vader dosent it, which is essentially why it would translate brilliant to the silver screen...maybe halfway through we see the beginings of the clone experiments the begining of Les Enfants Terribles. maybe the film ends with the birth of two twins.

Either way as much as im skeptical of seeing a live action film on the big screen (for fear that it might be utterly cluster ****ed by hollywood) the thoughts of seeing something like that onscreen is goosebump inducing.

Screen Play:

Hideo Kojima: Its his game no one undertsands it more than him, MGS is essentially one big interactive film.

David Hayter: Possibly one of only few other people that would possibly get this film more than Kojima and would know the potential pit falls of bringing something like this to hollywood. He has wrote some gems..X2 for example, is also apparently putting the finishing touches to the watchmen movie..he did write the scoprion king though, so good with the bad.

Directors:

David Fincher: He of Fight Club and Se7en fame. Appart from being an absolutely phenomenal director, hes also shown he can get fantastic performances out of big name actors (something MGS whether you like it or not will probably have) I mean Ed Norton, Tyler frickin Durden himself Brad Pitt among others, but ultimately it was his apparent pitch for mission impossible 3 that caught my eye, im not totally sure whether he was officially attached to direct or not but the pitch was essentially according to various rumours as follows, black market trade of body parts in Africa. Something just grabbed me there, and we all know he can do gritty and suspenseful, I think he could definately bring out the meat of the Snake character especially.

Paul Greengrass: He of the Bourne supremacy and bloody sunday fame. Hes already shown he can do spy and gritty with supremacy dealing with a complex main character, actions scenes were tight and intense like a metal gear film should be, also with bloody sunday and if early reviews are right United 93 he is one of the best film makers out at the moment.

Hideo Kojima: The father of metal gear. Why the hell not, sure he would need a fantastic team behind him, but damnit its Kojima! not a great argument I know but one I think that is shared by quite a few people.

Im gonna split the next part into 3, goodies, baddies and others. I probably wont list every character or villain but ill post the most significant.

Before I do list, while I agree the actor that plays Snake should also play Liquid I just dont think its gonna happen, so I will list different actors for each.

Goodies:

Snake: eric banna, christian bale, viggo mortensen, hugh jackman

Either one of these guys would do a fantastic job, I myself am probably leaning more towards Viggo and Bale, thats probably because im not that familiar with Banna's body of work, where as I am with Viggo and Bale. All have the "general look" we would be going for, all wouldnt be that expensive appart from maybe Jackman, and all are excellent actors who would embody as oppose to play the role. Bale especially.

Meryl Silverburgh: Scarlett Johansson, Famke Janssen, Jessical Biel
Naomi Hunter: Kate Beckinsale, Natalie Portman, Naomi Watts
Roy Campbell: Gene Hackman, Jon Voight, Martin Sheen
Otacon: Michael Shanks

Baddies:

Liquid: Sean Bean, Val Kimler, Paul Bettany
Big Boss: Donald Sutherland, Sean Connery
Ocelot (young): Ralph Fiennes
Ocelot (old): Gary Oldman, Lance Henrickson
Sniper Wolf: Anjelina Jolie, Milla Jovovich, Uma Thurman
Vamp: Antonio Banderas, Michael Sheen
Mantis: Marilyn Manson

Others:

Ninja: Ray Park, Tony Jaa, Stephen Chow
Donald Anderson: Morgan Freeman
Kenneth Baker: Anthony Hopkins
Mei Ling: Zhang Ziyi

Theres probably a few ive missed off, other villains we have had throughout some of the games but thats all that springs to mind at the moment

I like what you're saying, here's what I would say for the story though:

If it were me, I would have a credits sequence that has Solid Snake's carreer up to the point of Solid, mentioning what has happened in the last games. I'd do this for two reasons: 1, Solid is definately the first one with the best live-action potential, 2, it gives the audience the idea that Solid's one tough, gruff, sum'b***h that you do not f**k with. I might add some of the stuff that they say happens in the past but are not in the games before--like MGS3 and maybe the new PSP game stuff.

Then after that, it's MGS all the way. Then you could have MGS2 for the second one, and MGS4 for the final chapter, completing the trilogy.

I just hope that if this movie is ever created that it's done the right way and doesn't have a director to piss on its legacy.

As long as the original story is intact and a director such as Cameron, Ridley Scott, or even David Fincher attached it, then it'll be really cool and show an awesome spectacle.

I always felt that Fincher's directing style would be perfect for the Solid Snake vs. Gray Fox Minefield fight.

Here's a question for you fans:

For the action sequences, should they be regular, or the way the action was represented in The Twin Snakes?

My idea would be that at the beginning, when we think the Snakes are regular people, that the more standard fighting would be better (with the exception of the Solid and Ninja fight, where we can have some of Twin Snakes come through), but once we find out they're both part of Les Enfants Terribles/geneticlly created soldiers, then they can go all the way with Twin Snakes.

Good? Bad?

cerealkiller182 said:
I thought it was just in the future.

I think Hugh Jackman would make a good Snake. I hold back on Bana just because i think he would make a better Sam Fisher.

Sean Bean would make a real good Liquid Snake though. And Ribisis for Octacon

If its that far into the future, why does no one else look that much older? Otacon is supposed to be the same age as Snake but he doesn't look 75 like Snake does.

TheVileOne said:
If its that far into the future, why does no one else look that much older? Otacon is supposed to be the same age as Snake but he doesn't look 75 like Snake does.

I believe Snake was infected with the FoxDie virus as well as the others during Shadow Moses, but because of his genetic material, it's causing him to only slowly deteriorate.

I believe Snake was infected with the FoxDie virus as well as the others during Shadow Moses, but because of his genetic material, it's causing him to only slowly deteriorate.

I think thats pretty much dead on, especially with Naomi being involved. According to the extended 15 minute trailer, Snake or Old Snake as hes now being called, at the begining of the game has 6 months to live.

MaskedManJRK said:

For the action sequences, should they be regular, or the way the action was represented in The Twin Snakes?

My idea would be that at the beginning, when we think the Snakes are regular people, that the more standard fighting would be better (with the exception of the Solid and Ninja fight, where we can have some of Twin Snakes come through), but once we find out they're both part of Les Enfants Terribles/geneticlly created soldiers, then they can go all the way with Twin Snakes.

Good? Bad?

MGS3's action cut scenes had the perfect blend of realism and over-the-top stunts, IMO.

TTS's action scenes were mind-blowing, but would be too over-the-top in a live action medium, I think. (With the exception of come of the Cyborg Ninja stuff)

I thought Naomi said it was up to Snake when he would die.

Yeah, but that's not very specific.

Snake asked her for the solid truth.

I dont know the actual full 100% dialog but from memory it goes something like this

Snake: The truth Naomi! How long will my body hold out?

Naomi: Your body is starting to decay! the average person wouldnt even be standing now, 6 months! you have 6 months to live!

In regards to action sequences, keep them close and brutal, I wanna see the classic "sneak grab snap neck put in locker" IF there is a cyborg type character similar to "new" Raiden or Grey Fox then fair enough.

hey yo its sean said:
MGS3's action cut scenes had the perfect blend of realism and over-the-top stunts, IMO.

TTS's action scenes were mind-blowing, but would be too over-the-top in a live action medium, I think. (With the exception of come of the Cyborg Ninja stuff)

I haven't played MGS3 yet (I was only half-way through MGS2 when my PS2 went ****-up. :mad:), what kind of stunts were there?

Infamy said:
I think thats pretty much dead on, especially with Naomi being involved. According to the extended 15 minute trailer, Snake or Old Snake as hes now being called, at the begining of the game has 6 months to live.

Yeah, here's where I found that info:

Wikipedia said:
Snake was successful in infiltrating the facility. He managed to neutralize all members of the FOXHOUND unit except for Revolver Ocelot, and was successful in destroying the Metal Gear REX prototype. However, Snake was implanted with the FOXDIE retrovirus as part of his mission objective without his knowledge. The virus was originally scheduled to kill Snake after he completed his mission. However, Naomi Hunter, who implanted the virus into Snake, changed the program and altered the incubation period to a wildcard value. Liquid, who was identical to Snake in the genetic level, was killed by the virus, confirming that Snake himself was still vulnerable to the virus at any random moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_Snake

TheVileOne said:
I wonder how its affected his sex life with Meryl, if it at all.

It's implied that they broke up sometime before the second game for reasons unknown, so Meryl probably never saw old and saggy Snake in bed.

MaskedManJRK said:

Good? Bad?

Regular, the games barely get away with all the outlandish stuff. The focus of this movie should be on the theme of soldiers being victims of political agendas and ideologies. The audience should not be invited to revel in the action, they should be near vomiting. If you don't leave the theater feeling like you need a shower, this movie fails. If you leave the theater confident that good has triumphed over evil, this movie fails. This should not be a typical action movie, it should be an unmerciful critique of the way we have glorified war and dehumanized soldiers.

hey yo its sean said:

Agreed, the Ninja stuff would be great, but everything else...no. He rode a fawking missile! WTF! I'd prefer more realistic, brutal action scenes.

Boom said:
Yeah, but that's not very specific.

Snake asked her for the solid truth.

I was referring to the original game. Naomi said it was up to Snake how long he would live. Giving this metaphorical idea that Snake would keep living as long as he fought and had the will to live.

Timstuff said:
It's implied that they broke up sometime before the second game for reasons unknown, so Meryl probably never saw old and saggy Snake in bed.

Really when was that and in what game? I don't remember this ever being mentioned in MGS2. All I remember is Snake crying "Meryl" in his sleep. Also, Snake always seemed to be in great shape in the first and second games. I bet they jumped into bed once they got to safety after the first game.

Wolfwood said:
Agreed, the Ninja stuff would be great, but everything else...no. He rode a fawking missile! WTF! I'd prefer more realistic, brutal action scenes.

The scene(s) in MGS3 when Volgin beats the crap out of Snake and then tortures him shortly thereafter would certaintly fit the brutal, realistic requirement.

cyborg ninja 14 said:
The scene(s) in MGS3 when Volgin beats the crap out of Snake and then tortures him shortly thereafter would certaintly fit the brutal, realistic requirement.

That's what I was thinking of when I wrote that, one of the best scenes in the game. :up:

Sandman138 said:
Regular, the games barely get away with all the outlandish stuff. The focus of this movie should be on the theme of soldiers being victims of political agendas and ideologies. The audience should not be invited to revel in the action, they should be near vomiting. If you don't leave the theater feeling like you need a shower, this movie fails. If you leave the theater confident that good has triumphed over evil, this movie fails. This should not be a typical action movie, it should be an unmerciful critique of the way we have glorified war and dehumanized soldiers.

But in the game, you feel like an @$$kicker. If the movie doesn't transcend any of game's pure awesomeness then it's a failure IMO. I didn't feel like vomiting or taking a shower after I played the games, so I don't see why I'd want to after watching the movie. The game does have an intelligent story, but Hideo Kojima doesn't forget that the point is to have a good time.

TheVileOne said:
Really when was that and in what game? I don't remember this ever being mentioned in MGS2. All I remember is Snake crying "Meryl" in his sleep. Also, Snake always seemed to be in great shape in the first and second games. I bet they jumped into bed once they got to safety after the first game.

During the tanker chapter, Snake can have a discussion with Otacon about Olga who, like Meryl, is a tomboy. When Otacon points this out, Snake says "No thanks, I've had enough of tomboys." implying that Snake may have had a falling out with her at some point after MGS1. That doesn't mean Snake never got to have a little fun with her though. ;)

Timstuff said:
During the tanker chapter, Snake can have a discussion with Otacon about Olga who, like Meryl, is a tomboy. When Otacon points this out, Snake says "No thanks, I've had enough of tomboys." implying that Snake may have had a falling out with her at some point after MGS1. That doesn't mean Snake never got to have a little fun with her though. ;)

Well you said she probably never saw him naked.

I bet Snake did a fantastic job of ushering Meryl into womanhood.

Geo7877 said:
What exactly about MGS limits it from being make-able? It's a fairly grounded story. Short of Psycho Mantis

Never said it wasn't makeable I'm just saying that theres more that can be done as an animated movie. A great chance to go over the top with the action....just how mg is and should be.

The only issue I have with an animated metal gear movie, is its more of a means to an end, why have a linear animated film, when you have an interactive game? the graphics shown in that trailer, which by the way are 100% in game, Kojima showed this with a series of tech demos changing the lighting etc, pretty much negate any need for an animated movie, then of course you have the cutscenes which will no doubt clock in at over an hour..hell they released a disk in japan which was essentially MGS3 Snake Eater the movie which was just the cutscenes inserted toghether to form one coherent story.

Im not saying an animated movie wouldnt be good, im just saying that in my opinion its even less needed than a live action rendition.

i wonder how, if at all, they can make this movie "screw" with the audience like they do in the games. like in MGS1 when Mantis started reading your memory card, or in MGS2 when the game started going all crazy and talking to you about silkworms and how you've had your game system on too long. i'm not sure there was a moment like that in MGS3, though. i don't remember one, anyway.

Wolfwood said:
No matter how nice a person Snake, I do think it was because he's still one ****ed up individual.. he would still suffer from PTSD.
Besides, maybe the age difference was a factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"