The Official Metal Gear Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the original version I guess.

Anyway, I really hope the final game ends up looking this good:

MGSStill021.jpg

Can't wait to see the return of the love box in those glorious FOX graphics :awesome:

Yet they did a cover for it in MGS4????
That's the thing about getting licenses for rights-managed material. You typically have to get permission and pay for one particular use at a time. It's not a "I payed once and can know use it for ten different projects" situation unless that is specified in the agreement. Kojima's rights-manager has some 'slanin to do, lol.

Closer inspection shows that the 11 mins trailer is still up at Metal Gear Solid website, so could it possibly be Flight of the Valkyries?

That's in the public domain, isn't it?

It's gotta be HERE'S TO YOU.

Which is a real shame. I loved the use of it, and it's meaning to the MGS series.

Anyone want to take a crack at a manip for me?

Take the mustache off of the picture of Big Boss posted at the top of the page.

I've decided that if you're not blasting Sea Breeze on your iPod while gunning people down in MGS4, then you're not playing it right.

:lmao:

Speaking of MGS4, I still need to attempt the Big Boss run again since my roommate accidentally deleted my save file :o.

Raging Raven is by far my least favorite boss fight in the series. Ugh.

Raging Raven is by far my least favorite boss fight in the series. Ugh.

Yep, I thought that for everyone of the 8 times I just beat that game to get the platinum. :(

MGS4's boss fights are pretty weak in general though. Laughing Octopus is a cool idea though it's ruined by the scripted events that stop it from being a real boss fight. Raven is a complete dud, Wolf is underwhelming and Mantis is pretty uninspired.

The stand out is the Metal Gear duel by far.

MGS4's boss fights are pretty weak in general though.

Totally agree. Aside from just not being very much fun, my biggest problem with the boss fights in MGS4, and even Snake Eater is that they feel like they're in the game just for the sake of being there or to fill some kind of boss fight quota.

With MGS4, that game lacked a really good villain so I can sort of understand if they felt like they needed to pad out the game with some henchmen.

I don't get it with MGS3 though. Between The Boss, Volgin, Shagohod, and the various Ocelot encounters, that game had a decent number of boss fights without the Cobra Unit. All of whom were just kind of "there". The Fury being the best example of a boss whose only function is to be killed.

To me the boss fights in both of those games feel every big as tacked on as the bosses in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I give MGS3 a pass though because for the most part they were interesting and fun to play.

Laughing Octopus is a cool idea though it's ruined by the scripted events that stop it from being a real boss fight.

I thought Octopus was okay. She actually fooled me the first time she disguised herself as a dead enemy soldier.

The stand out is the Metal Gear duel by far.

Definitely. That, and the fist fight with Ocelot are two of the best moments in the series.

From my interpretation, the Cobra Unit were themed as they were to prepare Snake and the player for the eventual end to the mission, the death of the Boss/Joy. Much like an actual assassin, you need to overcome emotion to do the deed, and what better way to do that than with some boss fights. At least, that's what I think Kojima believed. I've no strong feelings either way; boss fights in this series have always existed either to tie up a story thread or to break up the monotony constant stealth can create. Some of them were even pretty fun. The only one that kind of sucked was Volgin's. It highlighted both how awesome CQC was in the cutscenes and how limited your options were in its actual use.

(Part of) MGS4's problem is you're revisiting the past so often. It's not a big deal in Acts 1 and 2, but past that, the game becomes a "greatest hits" compilation. "Remember Snake Eater? Remember Shadow Moses? Remember Arsenal Gear? Remember (etc.)?" It gets obnoxious, and even screws with what could've been a poignant ending.

"Snake what exactly don't you like about James Bond? Wouldn't you like have a gun shaped as pen??!"
:funny: oh Major Zero, you delightful master villain you.

Totally agree. Aside from just not being very much fun, my biggest problem with the boss fights in MGS4, and even Snake Eater is that they feel like they're in the game just for the sake of being there or to fill some kind of boss fight quota.

With MGS4, that game lacked a really good villain so I can sort of understand if they felt like they needed to pad out the game with some henchmen.

I don't get it with MGS3 though. Between The Boss, Volgin, Shagohod, and the various Ocelot encounters, that game had a decent number of boss fights without the Cobra Unit. All of whom were just kind of "there". The Fury being the best example of a boss whose only function is to be killed.

To me the boss fights in both of those games feel every big as tacked on as the bosses in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I give MGS3 a pass though because for the most part they were interesting and fun to play.

I know what you mean, actually. MGS3 already had a strong cast to go on. But to be fair The End is one of the series best fights, and I at least like the idea of them being The Boss' old unit. And, as you say, at least they're actually fun to fight in most cases - I roll my eyes pretty much every time I get to a boss fight in MGS4.

Another problem with MGS4's characters is just how weak the setup for them is. Mantis' ties to Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow make her the only interesting one out of the four. The idea of beating them and then Drebin telling you a sob story over codec was really weak. Am I supposed to sit there and go "That's horrible!" about a woman I just gunned down?

It doesn't help that you can do a Maxim magazine shoot complete with gasps and moans before you ruthlessly gun them down. But yeah, they're contrived. The Unit has almost no connection to anything else that happens in the game besides their names, which are just portmanteaus of previous bosses.

Last edited:
Raging Raven is a cake-walk if you have the rail gun.

Hmmm, I think that's off the table if your doing a Big Boss Emblem run.

Though, I found the bike ride on the way to that fight to be far more difficult than the boss fight on my Big Boss Emblem run.

A couple of new Rising images from Kojima's twitter.

247c9.jpg

247ca.jpg

Raiden's character model is looking really good.

Doing lethal damage to their Beauty form is what adds to your kills. You can use whatever you'd like on their Beast form and it won't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"