The Official Metal Gear Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kojima posted this on twitter, from a GDC rehearsal.

BF708lkCAAAljM8.jpg:large

BF7lsqmCAAENa2H.jpg:large

http://www.gamedynamo.com/article/showarticle/5381/en/hideo_kojima_fears_metal_gear_solid_ground_zeroes_may_be_too_controversial

Hideo Kojima fears Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes may be too controversial

I for one am fine with a game going into controversial territory. It can be interesting. Hearing about how Bioshock Infinite will probably have some controversial things going on (ie: thematically dealing with racism, nationalism, patriotism, etc.), I'd be eager to see how all that winds up.

And...could MGS getting anymore controversial than how bat**** crazy Rising's ending was? I feel like that final boss would have been more controversial if the crazy weren't so loud in that game.

He's been saying that for a couple of years now. I have absolutely no idea what it could be though. It might just be a Japanese taboo that we wouldn't give a second thought about. Who knows?

Yeah, I don't know what it could it be either. Namely, because he's done stuff before that could be seen as controversial as well. Thematically? nuclear proliferation, and a very strong stance on PMC's (at a time when PMC's were seen in a different light by most Americans), I'm not really sure where he could go that could be quite so controversial. It's probably a Japanese taboo, like you said Soapy, that maybe would just be no big deal for Americans.

My only thing about how thematic elements can play out in Japanese storytelling, is that they can be too 'on the nose', and just so obvious. American (when done well) storytelling is usually much more subtle.

Usually. I mean, you'll get stuff that isn't subtle. But, most of the good American storytelling is held back a bit.

But, I mean Kojima's overtly liberal sensibilities has always colored Metal Gear Solid. So whatever he's thinking or feeling, or whatever he wants to say, we'll definitely know once we play the game.

Last edited:
A lot of Japanese storytelling traces its roots back to the ultra-expressive song and dance of kabuki theater. It's why their subtle, ritualistic traditionalism doesn't quite match their pop culture, like in their boy's comics.

Kojima has baited like this before. I'm not sure it's as controversial as he's claiming. He knows his Western audience well, though (we account for the vast majority of MGS sales). So I guess we'll see.

Playing through MGS2, Im reminded why I always thought Rose was the most annoying character in the MGS canon. Seriously she is awful. I call to save and want to get right back into the game or turn the game off and she starts these long conversations about their stupid love life, as if Raiden isn't in the middle of fighting for his life

Yeah.

Throughout the series, she's gotta be the worst. Mei Ling was cute, and her little riddles were always kinda out there and interesting. And Para Medic had the movie references that I enjoyed. Rose was way better in MGS4, though. So, I'll give her that.

HAHA! I remember my friend playing MGS2. One time, he was crawling along the edge of the Shell and he slipped and fell. He waited like 5 seconds and then said, "Yeah, you would scream like a *****." HAHA! One of the funniest things I'd ever heard because it was so true when playing as Raiden.

I think Kojima is just trying to hype this game up. Is that a new character in that screen shot up there?!

HAHA! I remember my friend playing MGS2. One time, he was crawling along the edge of the Shell and he slipped and fell. He waited like 5 seconds and then said, "Yeah, you would scream like a *****." HAHA! One of the funniest things I'd ever heard because it was so true when playing as Raiden.

I think Kojima is just trying to hype this game up. Is that a new character in that screen shot up there?!
the burnt guy is the new villain you'll be facing playing as Big boss in ground zeros but it's if he's truly new or some one we've met before that needs to be shown.

How many missions did Big Boss go on?! Dude was ACTIVE!

Over 70 if I recall, spanning from World War 2 right up until the 90s.

Another dumb thing Rose says is when you call the codec up to save. "Jack, is that you?" No, who the heck else would be calling you from this codec number? Oh boy, Rose irritates me

We should be getting some more info in just a few days.

Well, isnt GDC this week?

We're supposed to be getting a live gameplay demo with Hideo Kojima, and they're supposed to blow the lid off of whatever The Phantom Pain is too.

This should be a week of alot of new stuff as far as MGS is concerned.

I know this is a professional industry event, but damn it I need a fresh dose of Kojima's madness. I need my fix man! Don't let me down Kojima.

Woot!! MGSV though it's no surprise lol. So Ground Zeros, and Phantom Pain is really just MGS V. Open world game!!! Woot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"