Days of Future Past The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain?What exactly did he achieve before Iron Man?

TBH,he was a nobody in Hollywood before Iron Man.

Did you not even try to look anything up about him? He was nominated for an Oscar all the way back in '92, for starters. Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang is a big cult movie. He was nominated for several awards for his time on Ally McBeal. To name but a few. Take some time and do some research. It seems you're just trying to shortchange him to support your argument, but it makes you look bad in the end, because it's nothing but wrong. IM just elevated him to the top tier in Hollywood, but he was very well known for years before that film, jut not always for the right reasons because he had his demons with drugs, but also had his talent to back him up and why people continued to give him chances and work.

There's a difference between talent and stardom.Seems people can't understand it.

He was nominated for an Oscar all the way back in '92 .

So does that make him a household name?

Awards mean very little for the general audiences.FYI,The Chaplin flopped.Ask 100 what the most famous movie in 2009 was right now.Not even a single person would talk about The Hurt Locker.As much as the internet hates the movie,Avatar was the famous movie in recent times.

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang is a big cult movie.

FYI,Kiss Kiss Bang Bang flopped at the box office.KKBB made 15 million at the BO on a budget of 15 million.The internet may love KKBB(I do too) and call it a cult movie etc.But the truth is it flopped.It barely made 4 million in US.That's the sad truth.

There's a difference between talent and stardom.Seems people can't understand it.

So does that make him a household name?

Awards mean very little for the general audiences.FYI,The Chaplin flopped.Ask 100 what the most famous movie in 2009 was right now.Not even a single person would talk about The Hurt Locker.As much as the internet hates the movie,Avatar was the famous movie in recent times.

What?!?!

I grew up in the 80s...RDJ was in teen magazines back then. Everyone knew who he was. He was a total heartthrob (still is!), and very famous.

My friends and I saw him in the audience at a Broadway show in 1997 and it was awesome back then.

He got derailed by a terrible drug problem, but thankfully worked his way back out of it. It was awful when he was going through that.

Iron Man was his big comeback, not his big break.

Agreed. I'm in my mid 20s, and I knew who RDJ was even before he was cast as Iron Man.

Revisionist history at it's best.

RDJ's biggest hit before IM was Gothika and that movie's USP was Halle Berry.Gothika made a mere 140 million.

Fact:RDJ didn't have a single hit before Iron Man.He was nobody in Hollywood before Iron Man.Granted,he made Iron Man more popular.But Iron Man made RDJ into a household name

Iron Man opened with 100 million dollars in it's opening weekend alone in US.That was almost equal to the opening of Indiana Jones.If you think that huge 100 million opening weekend was due to RDJ,you are clearly mistaken.Even if any other actor had done Tony Stark's role,Iron Man would have done the number's of Thor easily

This is so painfully incorrect and clueless, I don't even know where to start. :doh:

Iron Man was his big comeback, not his big break.

I am not a RDJ hater but I am just puzzled by some of the replies on this forum.

What exactly made RDJ famous(to the general audiences and not a very minuscule percentage of cinema lovers)?He didn't star in successful movies.He didn't star in any successful tv show.Just asking

This is so painfully incorrect and clueless, I don't even know where to start. :doh:

What's wrong in it?Are you saying IronMan got a 100 million opening weekend(equal to Indiana Jones' big comeback) because of the lead actor?The lead actor who didn't have a single hit movie before IronMan.

I am not a RDJ hater but I am just puzzled by some of the replies on this forum.

What exactly made RDJ famous(to the general audiences and not a very minuscule percentage of cinema lovers)?He didn't star in successful movies.He didn't star in any successful tv show.Just asking

Were you around in the 80s?

He did movies with the Brat Pack, he spent a year on SNL, he was in Less Than Zero, and Weird Science, and Girls Just Want to Have Fun, and Back to School...movies we watched a million times as kids.

He was in Heart and Souls, which is still one of my favorite RDJ movies. He was on Ally McBeal.

The reason he made headlines during his drug was days was because he was famous.

Good god, man. :doh:

Known for being arrested for drugs and going to jail.That kind of stuff doesn't make him a star.It made him infamous among those who read gossip news.

RDJ was a nobody in Hollywood before IronMan.That's a fact.

A star is someone who can deliver hit movies.RDJ wasn't one before Iron Man.
If he were such a nobody, given his background as a known repeat criminal offender (he was considered a risky investment at that time because no one knew if he would stay clean), he never would have been signed by Marvel for such a huge project.

What's wrong in it?Are you saying IronMan got a 100 million opening weekend(equal to Indiana Jones' big comeback) because of the lead actor?The lead actor who didn't have a single hit movie before IronMan.

He sure as bad place helped. I remember when I read he was cast and thinking he was perfect for the part. I had friends who wanted to see it because he was in it.

I've been a fan since I was a teenager, and I'm far from the one only one.

Were you around in the 80s?

He did movies with the Brat Pack, he spent a year on SNL, he was in Less Than Zero, and Weird Science, and Girls Just Want to Have Fun, and Back to School...movies we watched a million times as kids.

He was in Heart and Souls, which is still one of my favorite RDJ movies. He was on Ally McBeal.

The reason he made headlines during his drug was days was because he was famous.

Good god, man. :doh:

I understand you like RDJ but the movies you mentioned weren't huge hits.Just movies you like.

If he were such a nobody, given his background as a known repeat criminal offender (he was considered a risky investment at that time because no one knew if he would stay clean), he never would have been signed by Marvel for such a huge project.

As I said before,no one is doubting his talent.

But Hugh Jackman and That Thor Guy are great examples they don't pick huge names to star in iconic roles.

Most of you guys are listing low budget movies which either flopped or barely made a profit.This just proves that GA didn't care much about him.

I swear this DoFP board intersects with alternate realities. I'm not wasting anymore time.

He sure as bad place helped. I remember when I read he was cast and thinking he was perfect for the part. I had friends who wanted to see it because he was in it.

I've been a fan since I was a teenager, and I'm far from the one only one.

Now,I understand why you are getting so upset.

RDJ's movie before IronMan was Charlie something.It made 4 million on a 12 million budget.Just shows how much the GA cared about him.

I understand you like RDJ but the movies you mentioned weren't huge hits.Just movies you like.

I'm not just talking about me. And entire generation of moviegoers knew who RDJ was long before he ever played Iron Man. That's not even up for debate.

Half of the movies I saw him as a kid were on TV, after they were in theaters. A lot just had him in supporting roles. Didn't matter if they were hits theatrically or not, he was just in a ton of movies and audiences were very familiar with him.

As I said before,no one is doubting his talent.

But Hugh Jackman and That Thor Guy are great examples they don't pick huge names to star in iconic roles.

Not even a comparison. X-Men and Thor were the first Hollywood films that Hugh Jackman and Chris Hemsworth ever starred in. RDJ had a resume that was decades long and an Oscar nomination by the time he was cast in Iron Man.

The success story here was that this was his comeback, which it was.

Most of you guys are listing low budget movies which either flopped or barely made a profit.This just proves that GA didn't care much about him.

Yeah, they knew all about him. I have to assume at this point that you're too young to know it.

RDJ's movie before IronMan was Charlie something.It made 4 million on a 12 million budget.Just shows how much the GA cared about him.

Upset? I'm not upset. Just astounded by the insistent ignorance.

I think your mistake is assuming that having blockbuster hits is the only way to achieve popularity. As has been mentioned already, he was a heartthrob in his teens and spent some time on TV. Those TV shows happened to be very popular in their time, which only added to his exposure. People knew about him, whether you deny it or not. Wikipedia him if you want.

Ally McBeal was one of the highest rated shows at the time and only got more popular when he joined.

I was a kid when he came on and remember all the hype about him joining. I was like who????

My ex-boss loved him in Less Than Zero. She still says that's her favorite RDJ movie.

I was in standing room at Rent on Broadway in 1997, talking to some friends at intermission, when my friend standing across from me went :wow: and whispered to me, "Robert Downey Jr is standing right behind you!!"

So we kept sneaking looks, and he was on line at the bar, so we were worried because he wasn't supposed to be there. This was an actual conversation happening at the time. :oldrazz:

But we didn't need to be worried...he just got some M&Ms and went back to his seat. And he was very cute in person.

And that was 11 years before Iron Man.

I think your mistake is assuming that having blockbuster hits is the only way to achieve popularity.

That's not a mistake dude.The internet hypes up everything nowdays.Unless you have a huge hit,people don't know who you are.That's exactly the reason IM is more popular than Wolverine to the general audiences.

As I said very very few people knew about RDJ even though he was a talented actor.And most of it was because of his bad behaviour.It was only when IronMan became a blockbuster he became world famous and a household name.

I was a heartthrob in his teens.

There have been numerous teen heartthrobs and child actors who have slipped into oblivion.That doesn't mean anything.Do you really think people would remember a hearthrob(for 1-2 in the 80's) in 2006?

Take the case of Macaulay Culkin.He starred in two extremely successful movies(much bigger than any of RDJ's movies).Do you think the GA really remembers/cares about him nowdays(2 decades later)?

Hi there....I am C. Lee....I am the old man on here....and I have to tell you.....You don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

Robert Downey Jr was extremely well known and liked for a very long time before Iron Man was made. He was nominated for an OSCAR for best leading man in 1992 for CHAPLIN and won the BAFTA for the role. He was a regular on ALLY MCBEAL at the height of it's popularity and nominated for an EMMY for it. He was regularily featured on entertainment magazines, he was starring and co starring multiple hit movies such as Tarantino's NATURAL BORN KILLERS, U.S. MARSHALS, AIR AMERICA, and KISS KISS BANG BANG.

He had a very bad drug addiction that got him in a lot of trouble and made him unemployable for awhile...but he worked through that turned his life around. You should listen to the people who actually lived through the 80's and 90's and so know what was going on then.

That's not a mistake dude.The internet hypes up everything nowdays.Unless you have a huge hit,people don't know who you are.That's exactly the reason IM is more popular than Wolverine to the general audiences.

As I said very very few people knew about RDJ even though he was a talented actor.And most of it was because of his bad behaviour.It was only when IronMan became a blockbuster he became world famous and a household name.

This is just so incredibly incorrect.

Again, I'm guessing (and this is not meant as an insult), that you're probably too young to remember the pre-Iron Man decades at this point.

There have been numerous teen heartthrobs and child actors who have slipped into oblivion.That doesn't mean anything.Do you really think people would remember a hearthrob(for 1-2 in the 80's) in 2006?

As someone who was a teenage girl for the latter part of the 80s...of course I remember them. My mom and her friends are in their 60s and can easily name the teenage heart throbs from their own era.

Take the case of Macaulay Culkin.He starred in two extremely successful movies(much bigger than any of RDJ's movies).Do you think the GA really remembers/cares about him nowdays(2 decades later)?

Well, as he starred in a wildly successful 90s movie franchise, they likely do remember him. But he was a child actor, not an adult actor with a much longer and as diverse a resume as RDJ had by the time he played Iron Man.

You're seriously not gonna let it go despite what everyone else tells you, eh? Whatever. Have a good day. :o

^Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Air America flopped.RDJ wasn't the lead actor in either Natural Born Killers and US Marshalls.

His Oscar Nomination was for Chaplin and that was a BO disaster.Just shows how much the general audiences cared about him.

My ex-boss loved him in Less Than Zero. She still says that's her favorite RDJ movie.

I was in standing room at Rent on Broadway in 1997, talking to some friends at intermission, when my friend standing across from me went :wow: and whispered to me, "Robert Downey Jr is standing right behind you!!"

So we kept sneaking looks, and he was on line at the bar, so we were worried because he wasn't supposed to be there. This was an actual conversation happening at the time. :oldrazz:

But we didn't need to be worried...he just got some M&Ms and went back to his seat. And he was very cute in person.

And that was 11 years before Iron Man.

No offense to you dude.But citing very few people knowing him isn't what I was talking about.I was talking in a broader term like the general audiences and being a household name.

Example:I have seen nothing but hate for Twilight on the internet.But it's safe to assume it's easily more famous than numerous critically acclaimed movies.

RDJ was famous before the internet though! Even without Iron Man he would be more famous than some of the guys who have starred as the lead in comic films. Iron Man just put him on bankable & credible (as opposed to drug addled) leading movie star status which he hadn't reached before (like you say probably down to his bad behaviour..but bad behaviour is also something that keeps you in the headlines albeit for the wrong reasons). I never heard anyone say RDJ-who? when he was cast as Stark unlike other casting decisions of actors with little history. Are you saying you didn't know who he was at that time? I can understand being unable to name anything he'd been in but he was well known beyond his work...his existence should have been general knowledge to most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"