Days of Future Past The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Air America flopped.RDJ wasn't the lead actor in either Natural Born Killers and US Marshalls.

His Oscar Nomination was for Chaplin and that was a BO disaster.Just shows how much the general audiences cared about him.

And again...you're not old enough to remember the movies that came out in the 80s and 90s, are you? It's just painfully obvious now. Had you even heard of Ally McBeal before this conversation?

No offense to you dude.But citing very few people knowing him isn't what I was talking about.I was talking in a broader term like the general audiences and being a household name.

Well, if you apparently assume I'm a "dude" after all this, it shows just how much you seem to understand any of this conversation at all.

Example:I have seen nothing but hate for Twilight on the internet.But it's safe to assume it's easily more famous than numerous critically acclaimed movies.

That doesn't even apply to this conversation.

You do know the internet wasn't around in the 80s and early 90s, right?

As someone who was a teenage girl for the latter part of the 80s...of course I remember them. My mom and her friends are in their 60s and can easily name the teenage heart throbs from their own era.

My point exactly.You remember him for being a hearthrob when you were a teenager.That doesn't make him a household name.

You're seriously not gonna let it go despite what everyone else tells you, eh? Whatever. Have a good day. :o

I am bored.So I don't mind.

BTW,I need facts to accept he is a household name.Considering he hasn't been involved in a single hit movie as the lead actor,I am not convinced he was never a household name or big enough for the general audience to care about him.

Well, as he starred in a wildly successful 90s movie franchise, they likely do remember him.

Two decades have passed since Home Alone.People would remember the movie but I am not sure if they would remember the actor who starred in it.

And considering RDJ's success wasn't even remotely close to Home Alone's success,I don't think RDJ was a household name before IronMan

Well, if you apparently assume I'm a "dude" after all this, it shows just how much you seem to understand any of this conversation at all.

I typed dude before you mentioned you were a woman

You do know the internet wasn't around in the 80s and early 90s, right?

So which makes RDJ's movies(flops and meagre success) less known to the GA.

Had you even heard of Ally McBeal before this conversation?

Do you really think an Indian would know about a US tv show that was telecasted many years back?The only tv shows I knew pre 2000 were Seinfeld,Friends,Frasier and Buffy.

Last edited:
^Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Air America flopped.RDJ wasn't the lead actor in either Natural Born Killers and US Marshalls.

His Oscar Nomination was for Chaplin and that was a BO disaster.Just shows how much the general audiences cared about him.
Correct but that doesn't imply anything about his fame, just his box office draw (at the time) in those kind of films.

No offense to you dude.But citing very few people knowing him isn't what I was talking about.I was talking in a broader term like the general audiences and being a household name.

Example:I have seen nothing but hate for Twilight on the internet.But it's safe to assume it's easily more famous than numerous critically acclaimed movies.
He was more famous for being RDJ than his body of work. I don't know if you were around at the time..in a way he's like a much coooler version of the Twilight pratts in that his fame surpassed what he'd actually achieved up to that point. And it's not like those Twilight guys with all that following & fame they have have been a box office draw outside of Twilight.

^Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Air America flopped.
Flopping doesn't mean that people don't know about it. KKBB is a cult hit that still gets plenty of talk and AM was talked about a lot at the time because of it starring Mel Gibson.

RDJ wasn't the lead actor in either Natural Born Killers and US Marshalls.
Perhaps that why I said he starred and COSTARRED in multiple hits. Being even a secondary character in a hit movie brings you to people's attention.

Plenty of big stars have flops while remaining popular and in the publics notice. As several of has said...he was constantly in fan magazines and entertainment shows.

This is the last I will bother with you...I was alive in the 80's and 90's....I know what was going on...not going to waste any more time with someone like you.

My point exactly.You remember him for being a hearthrob when you were a teenager.That doesn't make him a household name.

You know I wasn't the only teenager back then, right? Lots of people knew who he was, since he was in many, many movies during this era.

And don't go into your box office rant again. Back then, there were these things called "cable", and "video stores", where lots of people saw these movies. Hence, they figured out who RDJ was, and remembered him as he has pretty much stayed in the spotlight (good and bad) ever since.

Your box office rant doesn't even apply to Chaplin. It may have failed at the box office, but he received rave reviews for it. And it does matter that he received an Oscar nomination for it. You're claiming he was a Hollywood nobody before Iron Man...but Hollywood nobodies are not Academy-Award nominated actors.

In fact, his drug problems were headlines because he was a popular, Oscar-nominated actor. If he was an unknown, no one would have cared. A drug addiction isn't headline news.

I am bored.So I don't mind.

BTW,I need facts to accept he is a household name.Considering he hasn't been involved in a single hit movie as the lead actor,I am not convinced he was never a household name or big enough for the general audience to care about him.

We're giving them to you, you're not listening. Haven't you noticed that no one is agreeing with you on this, and everyone is giving you the same reasons why you're wrong?

Since you seem to keep ignoring the question about your ages we can assume at this point that you're just too young to remember the times you claim to know so much about.

Two decades have passed since Home Alone.People would remember the movie but I am not sure if they would remember the actor who starred in it.

And considering RDJ's success wasn't even remotely close to Home Alone's success,I don't think RDJ was a household name before IronMan

Of course people remember who Macaulay Culkin is. And for the millionth time, RDJ was famous before Iron Man.

I typed dude before you mentioned you were a woman

And I've only made it incredibly obvious that I was since the start of this conversation. Paying attention doesn't appear to be your strong suit. :cwink:

KKBB is a cult hit that still gets plenty of talk

Cult or call it anything.The movie flopped.The only people who discuss it are critics and a bunch of people on the internet.They make a very minuscule percentage of the GA

Correct but that doesn't imply anything about his fame, just his box office draw (at the time) in those kind of films.

He was an actor for almost 20 years.Not having a single hit as a lead actor is pretty bad.

And it's not like those Twilight guys with all that following & fame they have have been a box office draw outside of Twilight.

I am not saying any of those guys in Harry Potter or Twilight are stars.I just said being involved in blockbuster franchises made them famous.Daniel Radcliffe was quite famous in the last decade.He may not sustain it and people would forget about him in by the start of next decade.But it's impossible to deny that was hugely famous for his role as Harry Potter in the last decade.

So which makes RDJ's movies(flops and meagre success) less known to the GA.

Wrong...AGAIN. You've heard of cable, right? VHS? DVD? Most of the movies I saw him in as a kid were on TV. And he was in so many, it was hard to miss him in the theater or on TV.

Do you really think an Indian would know about a US tv show that was telecasted many years back?The only tv shows I knew pre 2000 were Seinfeld,Friends,Frasier and Buffy.

Do we really think that if we told you that he co-starred on a very popular, highly-rated TV show in the 90s, which he received an Emmy nomination for, that you'd do the smart thing and believe us when we say he was well-known by a general audience before Iron Man?

That's the point you seem to be missing here.

Cult or call it anything.The movie flopped.The only people who discuss it are critics and a bunch of people on the internet.They make a very minuscule percentage of the GA

You do know that lots and lots of people watch and discuss movies away from the internet, right?

He was an actor for almost 20 years.Not having a single hit as a lead actor is pretty bad.

This is getting beyond silly now.

I am not saying any of those guys in Harry Potter or Twilight are stars.I just said being involved in blockbuster franchises made them famous.Daniel Radcliffe was quite famous in the last decade.He may not sustain it and people would forget about him in by the start of next decade.But it's impossible to deny that was hugely famous for his role as Harry Potter in the last decade.

So you're saying that RDJ would have only been well-known if he'd done some multi-movie franchise 20 years before Iron Man?

You're not even making sense now. And, as it's obvious this has stretched on long enough, I suggest it's time for this conversation to end, whether you want to believe us or not.

And for the millionth time, RDJ was famous before Iron Man.

Nope.It may not be a popular opinion but RDJ wasn't a household name before IronMan.

Prove it to me that he was famous before IronMan.Your examples are quite weak and hence I don't accept it.

Do we really think that if we told you that he co-starred on a very popular, highly-rated TV show in the 90s, which he received an Emmy nomination for, that you'd do the smart thing and believe us when we say he was well-known by a general audience before Iron Man?

So if I believe you,I am smart and if I don't,I aint?Lol.

And I've only made it incredibly obvious that I was since the start of this conversation. Paying attention doesn't appear to be your strong suit. :cwink:

He acts like a troll to me....not worth our time....I'm moving on to something much more important....going to bed. Good night danoyse.

Nope.It may not be a popular opinion but RDJ wasn't a household name before IronMan.

Prove it to me that he was famous before IronMan.Your examples are quite weak and hence I don't accept it.

Well, then you're going to have to live with that. We've explained it, you've chosen not to believe it, there's no point in us going around in circles about this any further.

So if I believe you,I am smart and if I don't,I aint?Lol.

No, more like if you listen, you'll learn something.

Since you don't appear to be listening, I think it's time we move on.

He acts like a troll to me....not worth our time....I'm moving on to something much more important....going to bed. Good night danoyse.

I'll get the lights. Good night, C. Lee!

Antihero, this conversation is DONE. If you're still searching for answers, I suggest asking this over on the Iron Man forum, where you'll likely hear the same things you heard here from a lot more people.

I am done too.I believe in stats and facts rather than opinions that have a tendency to be biased

Stats such as box office numbers, despite the fact that the article that spurred this entire conversation is about how box office success isn't a reliable indicator of awareness. Brilliant.

Last edited:
What the heck happened to this thread? :wow:

The Vulture itself is guilt of this, they are part of the whole blogsphere thing that creates the hype. The fact that they put a very much unknown actor like Andrew Garfield on their "most valuable stars" list is ludicrous. I can't see him and many of the others there rising to A-level fame anytime soon.

Hype is a pretty ridiculous thing, but on the other hand it's probably quite valuable to the actors' careers. Actors with hype around them are more likely to get good opportunities and good parts - whether that "hot right now" can be converted into a real stardom is never a certainty (Orlando Bloom we hardly knew you), but it sure helps.

That's not a mistake dude.The internet hypes up everything nowdays.Unless you have a huge hit,people don't know who you are.That's exactly the reason IM is more popular than Wolverine to the general audiences.

As I said very very few people knew about RDJ even though he was a talented actor.And most of it was because of his bad behaviour.It was only when IronMan became a blockbuster he became world famous and a household name.

There have been numerous teen heartthrobs and child actors who have slipped into oblivion.That doesn't mean anything.Do you really think people would remember a hearthrob(for 1-2 in the 80's) in 2006?

Take the case of Macaulay Culkin.He starred in two extremely successful movies(much bigger than any of RDJ's movies).Do you think the GA really remembers/cares about him nowdays(2 decades later)?

if you put Culkin in a Marvel Movie, people would take notice; entirely because they remember him from the very popular Home Alone series.

tumblr_mvxi92YW7L1rnybwwo1_500.jpg

I saw this photo on tumblr. I never noticed he has such a small waist :wow:

Jason Taylor? is that another actor from the movie of someone from the crew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"