The Official Michael Shannon IS General Zod - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw "My son, my son, what have ye done?" with Shannon. I know Shannon comes off as being quite humrous, but "My son, my son, what have ye done?" along with "Take Shelter" seems to be Shannon in roles closest to him character-wise. I cant understand what about MOS and Zod made him get involved. I also cant understand what made the producers go for this kinda of actor. I mean, Shannon's a very interesting choice, but I really have no idea where he'll take the role. I guess an intense Zod with piercing eyes is a lock, but I cant really picture Shannon being very physical.

Last edited:
Hateful, passionate, aggressive, dedicated, insecure. That's what I'm betting Shannon's Zod will be.

I'm sure we'll get a nuanced and classy characterization of Zod, but I'm still blank as to what kind of villain he'll be and again, how physical.

He's gotta throw a punch, can't have his wife do all the work.

He beats on Jor-El, who is a roman gladiator in this version, so he he must be fairly tough.

Just saw "My son, my son, what have ye done?" with Shannon. I know Shannon comes off as being quite humrous, but "My son, my son, what have ye done?" along with "Take Shelter" seems to be Shannon in roles closest to him character-wise. I cant understand what about MOS and Zod made him get involved. I also cant understand what made the producers go for this kinda of actor. I mean, Shannon's a very interesting choice, but I really have no idea where he'll take the role. I guess an intense Zod with piercing eyes is a lock, but I cant really picture Shannon being very physical.

Shannon is an actor... If Zod is supposed to be physical in the movie, then Shannon will have to portray him that way. Doesn't matter what kind of person he actually is in life.

Well money for starters.He said in one interview that they was paying him an awful lot of money to do it.Like the cosmic said, He is an actor and he have range.If you been following this movie then you would know that zod will be physical all the way from krypton to earth.He will be more of a general and give orders but he will get his hand dirty too.He won't be a 1 dimensional villain like zod from superman 2 was.He'll be a 3 dimensional villain.He will not be completely evil the whole movie like Stamp version was.Shannon talk about this in his interviews last year.

Obviously I know he's an actor, but that's not really saying much. Some actors have a specific style that they dont stray too much from. I just havent seen him in any really physical roles. Even in Iceman he takes it with ease when he disposes of people it looks.

And yeah, I have been following the MOS-production.
I never said he wouldnt be physical, just that I couldnt picture it in my mind. At least not brawling all over the place. He might be more into his powers and let the goons do all the physical stuff and only get his hands real dirty as a last resort.

I don't know any of the actors in this movie really.I have not seen shannon in anything honestly.Some people say they don't know about Henry, Amy, Russell Crowe, and Michael Shannon too.I beleave they all will get the job done.

Obviously I know he's an actor, but that's not really saying much. Some actors have a specific style that they dont stray too much from. I just havent seen him in any really physical roles. Even in Iceman he takes it with ease when he disposes of people it looks.

I never said he wouldnt be physical, just that I couldnt picture it in my mind. At least not brawling all over the place. He might be more into his powers and let the goons do all the physical stuff and only get his hands real dirty as a last resort.

I can't imagine a Kryptonian general who's been using his trained skills on his planet suddenly resorting to mainly using his powers and barely any physical stuff. But we'll see. Plus, it possibly won't even be him brawling all over the place anyway. Just really good CGI for those sequences.

I can't imagine a Kryptonian general who's been using his trained skills on his planet suddenly resorting to mainly using his powers and barely any physical stuff. But we'll see. Plus, it possibly won't even be him brawling all over the place anyway. Just really good CGI for those sequences.

By trained skills, do you mean combat?

I can seeing a General being the type of person who gives orders to others as opposed to acting. Isn't that the idea of the rank?

That doesn't mean he is not highly trained but he may only takes matters into his own hands when necessary. I see Rust's point.

Regardless we have no info on this either way.

Last edited:

I can seeing a General being the type of person who gives orders to others as opposed to acting. Isn't that the idea of the rank?

That doesn't mean he is not highly trained but he may only takes matters into his own hands when necessary. I see Rust's point.

I'm not tryna start nothing but rust don't have a point.What he saying is he don't know if Shannon's right for the job because he can't see him being physical?This version of zod will definitely use more brain over brawns.Like you say zod will get physical when the time is right but mostly give orders and be a major distracter like I said above on my other comment.This will make him more then a 1 dimensional villain like superman 2 version.Don't make no mistake about it zod will get his hands dirty.

Last edited:
Never said I didnt think Shannon was right, just that I couldnt picture it. That's the second time you put words in my mouth.

And Krumm is also right about the rank. Generals do give orders.

But yes, Zod will surely get his hands dirty at some point, so let's see how Shannon pulls that off.

As a general I fully expect Zod to be giving orders to others. However, I also expect him to take on Superman personally to get his point across. Even general-type characters, such as Magneto, Dr. Doom, Darkseid, etc. get their hands dirty when battling their enemies. Zod should be the same way.

And mainly using his powers is apart of combat. What I'm saying is I don't think Zod will resort to always using his powers while barely being physical against Superman or anyone else. Hiding behind his powers while not using the combative skills he's used on Krypton is not what I expect.

It's not really about not being able to picture a certain actor doing things, because if the role calls for it they will have to do so. But like I said earlier, it possibly won't even be the actual Shannon for the true brawling scenes, just a CGI duplicate.

This version of zod will definitely use more brain over brawns.Like you say zod will get physical when the time is right but mostly give orders and be a major distracter like I said above on my other comment.This will make him more then a 1 dimensional villain like superman 2 version.Don't make no mistake about it zod will get his hands dirty.

Agreed with this.

Last edited:
And mainly using his powers is apart of combat. What I'm saying is I don't think Zod will resort to always using his powers while barely being physical against Superman or anyone else. Hiding behind his powers while not using the combative skills he's used on Krypton is not what I expect.

I'm thinking with the newfound powers he might think bigger than just hand-to-hand combat (which he WILL use as well), and rather use the powers strategically. And he'll probably even try to use Earth's own military first. He's a soldier, so he'd be practical and creative about using the resources.

But I think we all agree.

Last edited:
I'm thinking with the newfound powers he might think bigger than just hand-to-hand combat (which he WILL use as well), and rather use the powers strategically. And he'll probably even try to use Earth's own military first. He's a soldier, so he'd be practical and creative about using the resources.

But I think we all agree.

Yeah, I think so too. That's exactly what I see happening. :up:

It would be cool if the military threatens Zod and co. with their guns, causing Zod's eyes to glow red making the guns glow and explode/melt in the soldiers' hands.

As a general I fully expect Zod to be giving orders to others. However, I also expect him to take on Superman personally to get his point across. Even general-type characters, such as Magneto, Dr. Doom, Darkseid, etc. get their hands dirty when battling their enemies. Zod should be the same way.

Totally agree.

Ah, gotcha. Agreed.

Given how much of a warzone Krypton is said to be, it wouldn't surprise me if the General saw his fair share of combat.

It could be that Krypton has been in the crapper for a while and that people like Zod have been fighting all their lives.

??? He gets physical in Boardwalk Empire. He doesn't get in any fist fights generally, but how many roles out there call for fist fights other than superhero movies?

cant picture shannon being physical?

did you watch the iceman trailer
tumblr_m9ll437FYU1qhei2io3_250.gif

Guess I havent seen the "right" examples then. :up:

That is the thing though. Zod shouldn't look like he'd be able to fight. Shannon looks nuts, but not like a brawler. When you see him **** up Superman it should be kind of a shock because he doesn't look like a fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"