The Official Mitt Romney Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish someone would go after Mitt about this Morman thing--and their weird beliefs--the way the GOP went after Obama with the Birtherisms and Muslimisms. :dry:

Being agnostic myself, I don't see the need to bring religion into the debate. it might be fun to make a few jokes about all religions on a personal level, but I think trying to tie every single belief of the mormon religion to Romney is a losing issue and will come off petty.

All that being said if Romney does start making it a debate about god(like the coin issue he brought up the other day) I do think he opens himself up for attack, but I wouldn't put him at that point yet.

I should also add while I don't get some of their beliefs I do give the religion alot of credit for how it acts in it's community for the most part(helping people), they are a good example for many other so called faiths.

Last edited:
I just wish someone would go after Mitt about this Morman thing--and their weird beliefs--the way the GOP went after Obama with the Birtherisms and Muslimisms. :dry:

I think that would backfire on the Obama campaign....even if it was one of his Pacs that did it, or the media that did it....it would fall back to him.

It goes back to the whole....."he hit me first..." mentality.

Being agnostic myself, I don't see the need to bring religion into the debate. it might be fun to make a few jokes about all religions, but I think trying to tie every single belief of the mormon religion to Romney is a losing issue and will come off petty.

The funniest thing about it is conservative, evangelical Christians have to hold their nose and vote for him. Either that or write in someone else. Can't vote for Obama obviously. If I voted it would be for Ron Paul. Not voting for either of the two major party candidates.

The funniest thing about it is conservative, evangelical Christians have to hold their nose and vote for him. Either that or write in someone else. Can't vote for Obama obviously. If I voted it would be for Ron Paul. Not voting for either of the two major party candidates.

There is a guy in Virginia called Virgil Goode who is polling at like 7-9%. I don't think he will get that high in the general election their but he might be able to get 1-2%

And he could lose all five of his Mormon supporters.

Don't underestimate the power of the Mormon Church, they have big war chests(people and money)

Republicans will come out and vote AGAINST Obama, and will vote for Romeny....

I'm with you, I will be writing in Ron Paul....won't matter in Texas, but I'll feel better about it...lol

Don't underestimate the power of the Mormon Church, they have big war chests

Yeah, but they've already backed Romney. So...

Anyway, I doubt it will come up. Unless Romney goes after Jeremiah Wright or something.

Anyway, I doubt it will come up. Unless Romney goes after Jeremiah Wright or something.

As Kelly said it's not going to gain you any voters, infact it probably will turn off the independent ones. Attacking somebody's religion might work on the right, but on the left it will be more like whatever. The only positive to an attack on Mormonism would be you might disenfranchise a few on the religious right from voting.

You could say every religion has "weird beliefs"...and IMO attacking a candidate's personal religion is a classless cheap shot.

Republicans will come out and vote AGAINST Obama, and will vote for Romeny....

I'm with you, I will be writing in Ron Paul....won't matter in Texas, but I'll feel better about it...lol

Yeah, and Rush admitted as such today. "He might as well be Elmer Fudd. We're voting against Obama, not for Romney." Hilarious.

Meanwhile, the Virgil Goode situation is interesting. He could cost Romney the election in Virginia (and the national election as a result). However, the Virginia Attorney General has been a strong Romney supporter and apparently he will have the final say about whether Goode will be on the Virginia ballot. I'm guessing he will block Goode from being on the ballot. If he doesn't, Romney is probably screwed in that state.

Nobody cared about the Muslim thing though because of how fired up people in this country got about it after 9/11. They're acceptable targets.

I would agree, except that it's not just any religion. It's Mormonism.

Has a rather... colorful history to it. And has been at odds with... well, the rest of the country.

Considering Romney was a bishop, it would be surprising if it didn't come up at all.

Though they probably won't turn it into a controversy, unless Romney goes birther, or brings up Jeremiah Wright.

What if that church has a history of openly discriminating against people?

Pretty recent history too. Not to mention the polygamy issue, which is direct violation of the Ten Commandments (part of the Old Testament, which they claim to worship).

Pretty recent history too. Not to mention the polygamy issue, which is direct violation of the Ten Commandments (part of the Old Testament, which they claim to worship).

I could be wrong but wasn't polygamy rampant in the Old Testament

Considering Romney was a bishop, it would be surprising if it didn't come up at all.

Bishops in the Mormon church generally are people who have high standing in the city, who are their to help the congregation, try bring up the issue I think that's a brownie point in his favor. He sort of touched upon it at the RNC but I do think it's something that could increase his favorability numbers if he talked about it more.

I should point out I think the best part of the RNC in terms of propping up Romney was people he delt with in his real life outside of business. You could tell the stories they told felt real and they were just positioning for their political future and made him out to be a nice guy. The fact he chooses to sort of ignore this part of his life is his choice.

Last edited:

The Polygamy issue T0DA7 is from a break off group from the main group they are not affiliated with the main Mormon Church...it has not been a part of their doctrine for quite some time....

For example, the group outside of Waco from this last year....is not a part of the Mormon Church....

I could be wrong but wasn't polygamy rampant in the Old Testament

Yes, that's why God had to lay down the commandments. He was dealing with a bunch of heathens. My biggest issue with the Mormons, aside from racism in the hierarchy of the church, is the fact that the New Testament wasn't good enough for them. And I'm sure Jews feel the same way about Christianity.

The Polygamy issue T0DA7 is from a break off group from the main group they are not affiliated with the main Mormon Church...it has not been a part of their doctrine for quite some time....

For example, the group outside of Waco from this last year....is not a part of the Mormon Church....

I was pointing to the fact that it was part of their doctrine at one point, just like racism was officially part of their church hierarchy at one point (more recently than polygamy even).

You do appreciate that virtually all religions are just evolutions of other religions, right?

Some would call it intellectual theft.

You could say every religion has "weird beliefs"...and IMO attacking a candidate's personal religion is a classless cheap shot.

I disagree. Even the Bible says "An Eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"--especially when calling out hypocrites.

I was pointing to the fact that it was part of their doctrine at one point, just like racism was officially part of their church hierarchy at one point (more recently than polygamy even).

Gotcha...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back