The Official Moon Knight Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I don't know if I like that. I was enjoying the direction Moon Knight was currently going in.
Yeah, I'm pretty mixed. On one hand I would've loved the current take on the character to stick as I liked where Hurwitz was taking MK. While on the other hand I loved Bendis' run on DD. Like, it's one of my favorite's in my collection. So I'm really intrigued. I think Dread summed it up perfectly. Bendis + solo street heroes = good storytelling.
So yeah i have my best hopes on Moon Knight.
:up:

IGN
Bendis and Maleev's Secret Knight
An unexpected announcement calls back memories of Daredevil.

October 9, 2010
by Richard George LATEST IMAGES

Somehow we still don't have a Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev Nick Fury ongoing, but that's okay. Today, at the Cup O' Joe panel, Bendis announced he and Maleev were teaming on another project in addition to their creator-owned Scarlet series. That project? A relaunch and "rebirth" of Moon Knight.

No details were really provided, but we know Knight is intended to launch early on in 2011. Bendis noted he and Maleev had been working on the series for a while. It will be interesting to see if both Moon Knight and Scarlet will remain on target once 2011 rolls around.

Apparently the team accepted the assignment after Quesada challenged them to find a new take on the character. Bendis noted he and Maleev had to think a while, but believe they have found the proper approach. Quesada noted that he believes this work will be compared to the Bendis/Maleev work on Daredevil nearly a decade ago.

Needless to say, we're excited. One of the most acclaimed creative teams of the past decade working on a second ongoing series? Yes, please.

bendisandmaleevssecretk.jpg
Oh, we back in business.[/Alec Hardison]

DAT ART!

I also seriously hope this can be gateway for Moon Knight tv series.

Well, looks like that BIG NEWS on the exciting new directions for the character has just been announced.

And the more I think about it the more comfortable I am with it.

Bendis-dialogue is about all the downside I can think of for it, but to me the reward justifies the risk.

I also hope this might spark them into making bigger collections of previous Moon Knight stories, such as the ones drawn by David Finch into an ultimate collection(s).

It also looks like MK might be ditching the armored suit. I get a Sienkiewicz vibe when looking at that promo art. :woot:
Drz said:
I also seriously hope this can be gateway for Moon Knight tv series.
Man, I remember when we were on the brink of getting a show years ago. But now that I look at it, I'm glad it was held off. Hopefully now with this new push he's getting we'll finally have the luxury of seeing the Lunar Legionnaire on the small screen. I think it'd have potential. :awesome:

One concern I do have is that this might be Joey Q's idea of "giving the character his shot" however, and that if Bendis can't shift MK at a level that HE considers to be good enough they might just go back to shelving the character.

Personally, I'd have more faith in Slott for a MK series, but I'm not complaining too much with this news, because it's a great opportunity for the character. Probably the best opportunity since Huston was given his run to bring the character back.

Eh, MK's a street-level character and Bendis/Maleev's Daredevil is still in people's minds as, like, the pinnacle of that kind of comic or whatever. I'm sure it'll sell pretty well. A whole lot better than Moon Knight under anyone else would sell, at the very least. :up:

I would've been fine with Slott as well. He really has a passion for the character as a whole. Hell, he was the only one to pick MK as his favorite character in a creative meeting!...Still, I won't think too much on what could've been. This is a great time for MK and his fans.

Also, got this off another board:
I just heard Bendis on Newsarama.com live @ 12:45 and he stated he loves the multiple personality aspect of the character and he is not ignoring the past history of the character. He also stated that it won't be out for a while, I heard sometime in the first quarter of next year, so I would guess March/April. He was said "I will stay on the title as long as they will have me.

Eh, MK's a street-level character and Bendis/Maleev's Daredevil is still in people's minds as, like, the pinnacle of that kind of comic or whatever. I'm sure it'll sell pretty well. A whole lot better than Moon Knight under anyone else would sell, at the very least. :up:
I'm not doubting this at all... That's what's worrying me.

That Joey Q may have some idea of "How many units Moon Knight should be selling", he threw his big horse at the character and still only managed to sell X amount of issues.

Moon Knight isn't Daredevil and doesn't have the history in terms of writers for it. I love Moensch/Sienkiewicz, but those names don't have the public image of a Frank Miller. They're undersung quality professionals who are critically acclaimed by those in the know.

I guess what I'm saying is that a Bendis Moon Knight series isn't starting from the same point as a Bendis Daredevil series. He'snot as familiar a character with most.

You can tell Bendis has a passion for the character though and the multiple personality aspect of the character piquing his curiosity comes as little surprise when you consider his version of Ultimate Moon Knight.

Fair enough. People really seem to love Bendis, though, so I still think it'll be fine. Although, granted, I won't be buying it personally because I don't care one way or another about Moon Knight and I actively dislike Bendis' writing, but I've learned time and time again that my tastes are in the minority.

Well I would have rather had Slott write it as Slott has wanted a crack at Moon Knight for a long time and has a pretty good grasp on the character and his continuity since he's read every issue but I guess he's too busy with ASM.I'll read this since it's Moon Knight but I've avoided Bendis since 2004.The last issue I read of his was New Avengers vol.1 #1 and after that I've been happy avoiding everything he writes.But I love Moon Knight so I'll give this a try.

If it's any consolation, Moon Knight plays way more to Bendis' strengths than the Avengers.

bendisandmaleevssecretk.jpg

Well, at least the art is going to look good (which I expected, although I don't know how long I'd be able to tolerate it, it got old fast for me reading DD and even when SW ended I was happy to see the art go).

What concerns me about the NYCC news is the mention of this being a "rebirth" of the character and on the implications that he needs a new angle. He's had a few of those already. What he needs is:

- An acceptance of the pulp supernatural aspects to his origin, not delving further into making him an Arkham Asylum reject
- New villains
- New villains that are DECENT

Part of me wonders, then, that if Marvel intended to relaunch MOON KNIGHT with their former hit DAREDEVIL team of Bendis & Maleev, that it would have made more sense to have given him the title of "MAN WITHOUT FEAR" to aid in that promotion instead of just dumping it onto Black Panther. Left hand, do you know what the right is doing?

I've said a few times that this, like DAREDEVIL, should cater to Bendis' strengths. Unfortunately, his weaknesses remain his horrific decompression, his insanely annoying dialogue -

His dialogue?
Yes.
His?
Yes.
Dialogue?
Yes.
His insanely annoying dialogue.
Whose?

And on it goes for at least 18 out of 22 pages. That's been true of virtually all his work, it simply has gotten worse with time. The only advantage of when Bendis has a co-writer is that this tic is usually toned down. Bendis' third major con is a disregard for any continuity that bars his way; not only will he do whatever he wants, he won't even give a good reason for what has happened. If he wants to establish that Dr. Strange is a serial rapist, he will, with no explanation, and treat is as a natural progression. And expect all other writers in Marvel to tow the line. Which they will. Any writer who disagrees usually ends up exclusive at DC, and no one wants that.

I'm torn on this. I've been so burned by no end of lackluster or just plain awful stories by Bendis The Horrendous, who is THE most overrated yet influential writer in comic books right now (Geoff Johns is probably higher up on DC's food chain, but in his defense, his "good to ****" ratio is probably better), that I've personally vowed to never given any of his books a try unless it is the line wide crossover mini and thus I am obligated, such as SIEGE. This is a vow that has done nothing but save me money and allow me to enjoy better comics - as in, nothing but good. I can't therefore buy his MOON KNIGHT and expect it to be any better or be surprised if it isn't. I mean, after about 40 issues of NEW AVENGERS, and over 100 of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, if I can't stand him by now, I never will. And it isn't like Moon Knight will be hard to find elsewhere; he'll be in SECRET AVENGERS and in theory, HEROES FOR HIRE. The series should up the character's profile, though, which is a positive. On the other hand, Bendis & Maleev couldn't get SPIDER-WOMAN to sell well, or at least to Joe Q's expectations.

Bendis' dialogue works ok for me in the High School world of Ultimate Spider-Man... But I don't want to see that s*** in Avengers or Moon Knight.

Which it will in all likelihood at some point... just a question of how much.

I can see it now:

"So who are you now? Grant? Spector? Lockley?"
"Spector."
"Spector?"
"Spector."
"Spector."

Until I go insane and develop my own dissociative personality disorder... with all of my personalities wanting to spike Bendis' bald head on a rock.

That said I still remain optimistic that his run will at least intrigue me more than Hurwitz' run, even if Bendis has a different idea of what the character should be than I do.

Quesada must really like the character as this is the third attempt to make Moon Knight sell.I just hope MK doesn't get shelved because it doesn't sell well.But then again people seem to flock to almost everything Bendis does.

Bendis' dialogue works ok for me in the High School world of Ultimate Spider-Man... But I don't want to see that s*** in Avengers or Moon Knight.

Which it will in all likelihood at some point... just a question of how much.

I can see it now:

"So who are you now? Grant? Spector? Lockley?"
"Spector."
"Spector?"
"Spector."
"Spector."

Until I go insane and develop my own dissociative personality disorder... with all of my personalities wanting to spike Bendis' bald head on a rock.

That said I still remain optimistic that his run will at least intrigue me more than Hurwitz' run, even if Bendis has a different idea of what the character should be than I do.
Regardless of how horrible Bendis may be for the actual character, I would think any Moon Knight fan would be happy about this move overall. Love him or hate him, Bendis definitely breathed new sales life into the Avengers (and believe me, as a classic Avengers fan, I really, really hate Bendis' work on the franchise), to the point that they're now effectively the anchor of the whole Marvel universe again. Even if Bendis is bad for characters, he's great for franchises. Even if sales don't dramatically improve on Moon Knight's series, at least his profile will certainly rise.

Do you think Corp that Bendis writing Moon Knight might enable Marvel to put out some "Ultimate collections" out of Huston's run or Doug Moench's.

Probably likelier if a Moon Knight movie ever gets made, but increased sales do sometimes spur the Marvel suits to issue more collections of older material.

I mentioned that Bendis on MOON KNIGHT should in theory boost the character's sales and recognition, at least beyond his appearances in SECRET AVENGERS (which is a Top 10 seller). On the other hand, Bendis & Maleev could not turn SPIDER-WOMAN into a hit seller. It's sales weren't horrid, but when it was "put on hiatus", it was selling below the Top 70, which is a disappointment for any Bendis book that isn't POWERS. Hell, that was the second SPIDER-WOMAN series that Bendis wrote that didn't catch on. Even he doesn't have a flawless magic touch for sales. Much as Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch couldn't boost FANTASTIC FOUR for long; even NEMESIS outsold some of Millar's last issues on FF, and that's an ICON book.

Maybe Bendis and Maleev have better luck with something the public considers as "Batman". instead of a Female woman, tho i think Scarlet is doing pretty well. It's the number #1 creator owned series when Mark Millar isn't having an Icon book out. >:3

I mentioned that Bendis on MOON KNIGHT should in theory boost the character's sales and recognition, at least beyond his appearances in SECRET AVENGERS (which is a Top 10 seller). On the other hand, Bendis & Maleev could not turn SPIDER-WOMAN into a hit seller. It's sales weren't horrid, but when it was "put on hiatus", it was selling below the Top 70, which is a disappointment for any Bendis book that isn't POWERS. Hell, that was the second SPIDER-WOMAN series that Bendis wrote that didn't catch on. Even he doesn't have a flawless magic touch for sales. Much as Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch couldn't boost FANTASTIC FOUR for long; even NEMESIS outsold some of Millar's last issues on FF, and that's an ICON book.
Oh yeah, I always forget about Spider-Woman. The character so s***ty, even Bendis couldn't convince the masses to read about her. :)

Maybe Bendis and Maleev have better luck with something the public considers as "Batman". instead of a Female woman, tho i think Scarlet is doing pretty well. It's the number #1 creator owned series when Mark Millar isn't having an Icon book out. >:3

SCARLET is doing better than SPIDER-WOMAN, but it isn't lighting the sales charts afire like Bendis on Avenger stuff.

I imagine the notion of Moon Knight being "Marvel's Batman", whether fans of his like that or not, may be why Joe Q has been insistent on keeping him in print these last four years. After all, he isn't licensed out to anyone, and "THE DARK KNIGHT" made a billion dollars. Methinks if there was one or two arcs of his title that sold well, that would be bundled as a draft for a script and peddled off to some director. And to be honest, Marvel Comics being a bit of an intelligence property for ideas isn't a bad thing as far as Disney is concerned. I am convinced that may be why YOUNG ALLIES hasn't been canceled. Disney may want Marvel to take a chance on amping characters that aren't licensed out to Fox, Sony, Lion's Gate, or Paramount.

Oh yeah, I always forget about Spider-Woman. The character so s***ty, even Bendis couldn't convince the masses to read about her. :)

I don't think she's that bad, but she's an indicator that not even Bendis can make a C-Lister sell if not everything is aligned right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"