The Official Musical Theatre Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, there isn't one yet, and if there is, the search function doesn't work, so sue me.

I like Wicked, Beauty and the Beast, and Les Miz. If you like a musical, talk about it.

Simple, right? Begin.

Wicked is coming back to my area this year!!! :applaud

I could do without Wicked.

I don't like Wicked. Never have.

That's disappointing... :csad:

Just like the show!

You're crazy man. That's only explanation I can come up with for you not liking Wicked. :oldrazz:

I just don't care for it. Other than Defying Gravity the music puts me to sleep. And on the whole I tend not to like giant tourist traps on Broadway. Wicked, Phantom, every Disney show.. eh.

Yeah I find Wicked to be very overrated but I still enjoyed it, especially since I got to see my favorite Elphaba.:atp:

I just don't care for it. Other than Defying Gravity the music puts me to sleep. And on the whole I tend not to like giant tourist traps on Broadway. Wicked, Phantom, every Disney show.. eh.

You're speaking against Phantom now too? Those are fighting words! :cmad:

I loved Wicked. I won the lottery and got to sit in the front row, which was very cool. :awesome:

And I enjoy Phantom, although as of this year it will have been 20 years since I last saw it, and Les Miz will always be my favorite 80s musical obsession.

Disney shows? Loved Beauty and the Beast. Saw it twice...once with a friend's kid, which made it even more fun (kids discovering theater, woohoo!).

Got dragged to Lion King when it first opened and wound up loving it. I've seen it 3 times and the opening is still one of the most visually stunning things I've ever seen on stage.

Liked Mary Poppins, but it wasn't nearly as good as the movie.

Never saw Tarzan or Little Mermaid, and I have no regrets about that. :oldrazz:

One of my friends is visiting in April. We're seeing the matinee of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, and the evening performance of...Spiderman. We decided this is a train wreck that needs to be witnessed. :oldrazz:

Oh my God. I went to the invited dress rehearsal for Book Of Mormon tonight. From the South Park guys.

Funniest show I have ever seen. Ever. :eek:

I can't even put it into words.

Can't recommend going to see Phantom enough. If you've never seen it, go now while you still can, and if you saw it years ago, go again to see how well it holds up. Seriously, they bring down the house every night and they've been doing it for something like 26 years. Still the most gratifying show on Broadway.

Can't recommend going to see Phantom enough. If you've never seen it, go now while you still can, and if you saw it years ago, go again to see how well it holds up. Seriously, they bring down the house every night and they've been doing it for something like 26 years. Still the most gratifying show on Broadway.

23 years. It opened in January 1988. :cwink:

I'll see it if I ever have extra cash and want to take a long nap. ;)

I left work tonight with absolutely no plans to see a show...and I wound up seeing American Idiot for the 3rd time. :awesome:

It was up on TKTS and I thought about sticking around to see it, since I really wanted to see Billie Joe Armstrong as St. Jimmy. When I saw the long line for my bus at the Port Authority, I took it as a sign and went back to the theater to try the lotto.

Didn't win the lotto, but got a partial view seat (which wasn't bad!) and saw the show. Billie Joe was awesome, and I still love the show. :up:

I've seen it 3 times as well. Not my favorite, but I think it's a talented cast and I'm glad it made it past the first year.

I'm glad it's still around too. It was sold out tonight, but I think that's mostly due to Billie Joe being there. But the whole cast is terrific.

It seems like it's gotten tighter. It's never had a very strong narrative, and I was only able to follow it so well because I knew the songs backwards before I saw it anyway, but it seemed like there was more of story there than in the previous two times I've seen it.

They've adjusted the volume too - the last time I saw it my ears were still ringing when I got back to NJ. :wow:

Haha, awesome.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it has a story.. or much characters. Haha. But I get why people love it, and I love that anytime they're grosses are in the toilet they can bring in Billy Joe to make up for it.

And I think Billie Joe would come back anytime. He loves that show. He was great, too. I didn't realize what a good voice he has.

One of the biggest complaints I've heard is that you can't sympathize with any of them. And you can't. But I never got the impression that you're supposed to. Tunney is the only one who really redeems himself. The other two were just idiots. And they knew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"