The Official Musical Theatre Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Phantom yesterday! It was the last show of the run in my area. :up:

Wow, it's been almost a month since this was updated.

Short run-down on happenings theatre-wise in my life right now:

Fame is over. It went pretty well, and though I hated the way I looked, I was in good voice and overall happy with my performances.

I got cast as ensemble in Oliver, which I am very excited about. I didn't expect Nancy at such a young age and quite the voice-type disadvantage, but it was a great confidence-booster just to get a callback.

Yesterday, I finished a week-long musical theatre intensive taught by some of Canada's leading professionals - the music director for The Sound of Music for Mirvish and the original musical director of Ragtime, etc. - and on the last day, an agent came to evaluate our performances. I was told afterward that I had the strongest voice of the group, should definitely have singing/acting as a career, and that I could call the top musical theatre talent agency in Canada and tell them that I had just taken a workshop with her and she recommended that I meet with an agent to discuss my options for a career. I personally would be more prone to asking what kind of training I should go for, being a non-dancer with various physical issues that will more or less keep me out of dance-heavy roles, and whether I should begin auditioning now while continuing to take private voice and acting classes or wait another year and try for the big theatre schools again. I am very excited, validated, and really have a sense of accomplishment from this past week.

Last edited:
Fantastic! It's always so nice hearing what you're up too.:)

In case you guys didn't know, there was Rent musical at Hollywood Bowl in past weekend for a 3-day run. Here's one of that performances (by Nicole Sherzinger of Pussycat Dolls playing as Maureen):

[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JT-9DaCCgPY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JT-9DaCCgPY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

I watched the one on Perez Hilton, her and Traci Thoms rock Take Me or Leave Me

Jenn Damiano is just such a fail.

I know this picture is so small, but I read that this is our first look at the Green Goblin's costume. PLEASE NO. Please. I take back some excitement.

villain2.bmp

I know this picture is so small, but I read that this is our first look at the Green Goblin's costume. PLEASE NO. Please. I take back some excitement.

villain2.bmp

It looks more like The Riddler than Green Goblin. What a terrible costume!

Alexia, what schools are good for musical theater in the Toronto area?

Sheridan and The Randolph Academy for the Performing Arts (my former college which I hope to return to soon) are the only ones within Toronto or the immediate area. The others are only theatre, mainly classical.

I'm finally going to see my first show at the Stratford Festival this weekend! I'm going to see Kiss Me, Kate. And if I can talk my Dad into the longer drive back on the way home from the cottage, I really want to see Dangerous Liaisons on the way back to Toronto.

Last edited:
I saw A Little Night Music in New York last week. It was the first time I had seen the show and Bernadette Peters sang a beautiful Send in the Clowns (albeit some of her line readings felt more like Bernadette than Desiree).

I thoroughly enjoyed Assassins and absolutely love Sweeney Todd. So, this was a great experience of more Sondheim. It really struck me as if Ibsen or Shaw had written a farce that happened to be a musical. While it has the plot points (kind of) of a pastoral comedy of the Shakespearean order, including everyone "marries" at the end,...

it is a very cynical and dark view on relationships and humans. It literally ends with the image of us going through the motions of life so as to dance around death.

But it was so funny and well acted (especially the actor who plays Frederick). And Send in the Clowns, Everyday a Little Death, A Weekend in the Country and the main overture/chorus music is very haunting stuff. A great show for adults. Go in expecting to be intellectually stimulated and to laugh. Not to be emotionally moved though.

In the last Month I've been to the London West End and seen 2 shows.

First - Legally Blonde.

Its pretty much like for like from the film, it is funny the whole ''oh my god'' song just made me laugh so random.
Songs in it are all fun and easy to like.
Cast where great, even a past Doctor was in it (Peter Davidson).
All the main cast where British and there accents where great even kept it there while singing.

One thing I always love is when the actor comes out of character, someone said something and the two leads tried not to giggle but did and carried on but I just like those little moments in shows.

Now the other show - Love Never Dies.

Now my sister huge Phantom fan, she loves the first show we've seen it loads,
Also she read this book its based on and hated it, she hated the sound of it and was like its going to be rubbish.
She saw it and was like omg I was wrong its amazing.
So then I was like ok I'll go.

And I wasn't keen on it unpon hearing the soundtrack. (kinda like Les Mis I didn't like the soundtrack when I saw the show I was like its good)

The cast are amazing Ramin was the Phantom in London before this gig and he has an amazing voice, and Christine USA very own Little Mermaid Seirra Borgass - who is amazing her voice wow!
Now the story was must better then I thought, its tragic but gripping and the leads pull it off.
And the two leads have so much chemistry and passion I loved it!
I would go again for one song - Beneath a Moonless Sky - You don't know how amazing its done untill seen live !
There are many other songs too - Till I hear her sing, love never dies, devil take the highmost.
And the ending I knew it already but I was like oh god don't cry hold it back.

Anyone seen Blood Brothers ? It gets you like that.

With this show and peoples dislike about it without even seeing it, I was like that and I was wrong untill you see it you can't really say if its crap or good.

I think it was great and I would I mean want to go back and see it.

I miss Legally Blonde here on Broadway. :(

It's left broadway.

It is a very fun show. Everytime the dogs came on everyone was going awwww
They where cute.
Getting the London cast cd too! its a fun show.

I know, it closed a few years ago. It was one of my favorites.

Same here. It was so fun. If you needed a pick me up you could just watch it and laugh everytime.

I was looking forward to the Addams Family replacing it in that right, but what I've seen of it, made me bleh.

Hi All,

Anyone see the Les Mis concert for its 25th? One word 'Epic!'. It was an amazing experience, and I wasn't even there, I watched it at the cinema, as it was showing all over the country. Fantastic cast, not only the leads but all of the ensemble were even currently in Les Mis or a west end star, so there was a load of talent on the stage, and you could tell!
Alfie Boe, now my new favourite Jean Valjean, he blew me away, the most beautiful voice! Lea Salonga, a great Fantine, as well of course, still being one of my favourite Eponine, which brings me to Samantha Barks who did a wonderful job!! And keep my favorite till last, Ramin as Enjolras, he stole the show every time he came on, and plus, I'm abit bias, with him being my favourite Phantom, and his such a nice guy to talk too!
The ending was also amazing, all 4 Jean Valjeans (2010 London Cast, 2010 UK tour production, Orignal Cast and concert) all sang 'Bring him Home' which was beautiful! I highly recommend for fans to buy the DVD when it comes out, its not to be missed! But I won't mention about Nick Jonas, just no.

I've also, recently, just seen 'Love Never Dies' for the 3rd time and still counting! I am a huuuuugggge Phantom Phan, like seriously obsessed, I can't remember how many times I've seen the orignal, probably, scarily amounts! hehe! And I will admit, when I first heard the idea, I hated it, I was not impressed with the idea, then I saw Ramin who was currently Phantom in the orignal and he said he had heard some of the songs, well sang them and the plot was nothing like I thought it was going to be, and well I trust him, because not only is he a Phantom, he grew up with the show is a big Phan too, so I couldn't see why I should be worried if he wasn't as I guessed he wouldn't do anything that would destroy the character. But I still felt a little scared, then the press release came out, really loved 'Till I hear you sing', beautiful! But yes, still hated the idea, had to booked tickets though because I believe you can't make a proper judgement without seeing it. It opened in March, some good, some bad reviews, but thats the same with most shows, look what they said about Les Mis, and its not in its 25th year?! And I saw it in June, I went in hating it as the show went on, I couldn't help but thinking, 'Jeez, I feel like an idoit, this is amazing!!!' The Phantom still does all his tricks of how he appears on stage, which I loved, the music was beautiful, the direction was fantastic, the plot wasn't as bad as people made out, once your in the atmosphere of it all, you get wrapped up in their stories and feel what they feel, it is amazing.
When I first heard the title song 'Love Never Dies', I to be honest, thought it was alittle dull, not the best thing I've ever heard but now after seeing the show, I love it, because when your watching it, your understanding her and her choices, and you really don't feel that when your just listening and judging by the soundtrack, my advice, wait for it to play near you, see it, then judge it, it is truly unfair judging something you haven't seen.

I've not been here in a while, so I'm just gonna surface to post this, and then probably vanish for quite some time:

[YT]F-zWVtw7mVU[/YT]

I've pretty much abandoned all hope for this show now.

Also, Alexia...Bicycle. :oldrazz:

I don't know...I keep switching my views. It looks cool...and then I see costumes and it looks bad...but the dancing/songs/effects bring it back up. They really missed the mark with the costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"