The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tron Bonne

All Ass, No Sass
Reaction score
[YT]f5uik5fgIaI[/YT]

The NX has been renamed to the Nintendo Swtich, it's a hybrid and scheduled for release in March 2017.

CvN3VKEVUAIlnwU.jpg

oMzcsNM.jpg

I'll go ahead and re-put my two cents in for the new thread. Not sold on it. I'll wait for how good the third-party support is and for how powerful it is to convince me to get it since I already have a PS4 and PC.

what is the battery life for this device going portable?

Now THAT'S a huge buying factor right there.

To be honest I was expecting to not be impressed with what Nintendo would announce but they have surprised me and this is definitely interesting, innovative and looks good too from a design standpoint.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get this, but it is nice to see that this is an actual game console and not a glorified mid spec PC like it's current gen counterparts.

Its crazy how pretty much all of this already leaked. Even the renders that people did were almost on point with how it looked. Nintendo tried to keep quiet on it for so long yet its not much of a surprise

I'll go ahead and re-put my two cents in for the new thread. Not sold on it. I'll wait for how good the third-party support is and for how powerful it is to convince me to get it since I already have a PS4 and PC.

An EA basketball game is a ton more support than what EA did last time.

Hell, anything is.

Specs possibly leaked.

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2″ IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/...-cortex-a57-4gb-ram-32gb-storage-multi-touch/

what is the battery life for this device going portable?

Now THAT'S a huge buying factor right there.

I'm sure it'll support external battery charger packs ike phones do. Get one of them.. a non issue.

Specs possibly leaked.

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2″ IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/...-cortex-a57-4gb-ram-32gb-storage-multi-touch/
32GB storage doesn't sound right for a console, friggin SD cards can hold more than that.

I honestly have no idea about storage.. but the NWPlayer person has been spot on with his Switch stuff in the past. Not 100% but more often than not.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think it'll be 4K. 1080p docked with HDR support.. 720p undocked.

Indy dev teams sound off on Switch.

Developer teams have been responding to today’s announcement of the Nintendo Switch. Not only are the larger dev teams reacting, but so are smaller teams, including indie ones. Here’s a list of reactions that have been made by them:

“The technological choices they’ve made with the system are incredibly interesting. What we have here is a high-definition gaming device that provides a consistent experience whatever your preferred gaming environment happens to be. What really strikes me are the social implications: having two simple controllers as part of the base portable model. Without filling my bag or backpack with a bunch of extra accessories, I can play games with a friend on a standardized screen. I really like how Nintendo is promoting this feature, because in 2016 we so often interact with each other through a screen, and this technology facilitates playing together in person. Where VR and 4K technologies are pursuing early adopters and enthusiasts, Switch is setting itself up to be appealing to the mainstream.” – Samantha Kalman, creator of Sentris and founder of Timbre Interactive.

“The Switch looks like a neat concept. It seems their product design has taken a step up, which is great to see. I’ve always wanted a more unifying experience between their handheld and console divisions, if only to own fewer devices, so I hope this idea pans out and gets the support it needs to be a success. I’m excited!” – Alex Preston, chief of Heart Machine and director of Hyper Light Drifter.

“I’ve heard rumors about the NX for a while, and am happy to see that the Switch is indeed a dual home/mobile unit, combining 3ds and WiiU. I thought the detachable controllers were a bit of a gimmick until I saw that they can each work as an independent controller for 2 player games. Now we’re talking – a tablet with two controllers, video out, and a GeForce GPU. Except… no touchscreen. This seems like a step backwards. It can’t function as a web browser, and won’t work very well for the strategy and puzzle games that I make (and like to play – my favorite 3ds games all used the stylus). If Nintendo continues to release successful mobile games with their IP, they might not port very well to the Switch. I also guessed – just from the number of kids I see playing games on iPads with their intuitive touch interfaces – that Nintendo has been losing the youth market to mobile. Maybe that’s why the Switch’s first-look video features only adults. As a developer, I’m excited about the new GPU and the built-in dual controllers. But whether we decide to release our indie strategy/puzzle games on the Switch will probably depend on the usual factors: how popular the Switch is for indie games, and how easy Nintendo is to work with.” – Sarah Northway, cofounder of Northway Games and developer on Fantastic Contraption (as well as her own Rebuild games)

“At Yacht Club Games, we’re very excited for the Nintendo Switch! Nintendo continues to put fun first by focusing on delivering new, engaging ways to play, which is what we’re all about! We can’t wait to take advantage of the system’s capability to have local and online multiplayer anywhere. It will allow for some truly great game experiences. We can only imagine the pure joy we’ll have playing Nintendo’s games both on the go and at home.” – Yacht Club Games’ David D’Angelo, developer on Shovel Knight

“I think it looks great, though I question why the marketing is focused exclusively on making big screen games portable and doesn’t depict 3DS-style games. One of the missteps of the Vita seemed to be assuming that everyone wanted a portable Uncharted when in fact the system is most treasured for smaller, quirky, or indie style games. So I hope in the future they show some of those kinds of games since they could possibly be their bread and butter. I do wish the screen were 3D like 3DS, but that’s a minor gripe. Hopefully we can get a dev kit soon and start porting Axiom Verge over.” – Thomas Happ, developer of Axiom Verge

I need one of these now, lol.

y'know, watching the Switch trailer again gives me the idea that I've been having if they ever wanted to do a "modular" console that could be continuously upgraded throughout its life cycle.

like the Switch, you'd have a "base unit" plus a "docking station."

and it would be the docking station that provides all the upgrade capabilities.

For example, for a more "diy" approach, the docking station could have slots to add more memory or a "gpu booster" or whatever. like how some N64 and Saturn games made use of that memory pack slot for extra power.

or, for a more "self contained" approach, the whole docking station could be replaced periodically with more powerful components. So, instead of having to buy a whole new console ( like to go from the PS4 to the Pro ), you'd just need to buy the latest docking station that has the newer, upgraded parts in it.

something like that.

Last edited:
Buddy and I were just talking about that.. in a few years you could just buy a new dock... then a few years down the line upgrade the tablet to OLED or whatever... Very smart way to do it.

Buddy and I were just talking about that.. in a few years you could just buy a new dock... then a few years down the line upgrade the tablet to OLED or whatever... Very smart way to do it.

yep.

that would help the Switch to stay relatively competitive with the PS4 Pro, Scorpio, and then PS5 and the next Xbox down the road.

launch Switch doesn't support 4K or HDR?

well, maybe by the end of 2017 or in 2018, an "elite" dock will be released that does support 4K and HDR plus other features ( like more memory ). And it would only cost say $100-$150 to buy the dock alone instead of spending another $300-$400 buying a brand new system. And since you'd only be replacing the dock, it wouldn't affect your games, saves, accessories or anything. A seamless upgrade experience by just buying the dock and plugging the console unit into the new dock.

Last edited:
No one knows. The leak I posted said it could support 4K.. Every source I've read is basically saying 720 mobile and 1080 docked... Wouldn't be shocked if it supports HDR.

And yeah.. only buying the dock for 100-150 would be aaaaaawwesome.

also, watching the trailer again ( during the Splatoon portion at the end ), it does seem like we will be able to use the pro controller even when the console is in the undocked "tablet" mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"