• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Official Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Picture, News and Information Thread!

I don't ask for much from a movie. These are the most important elements that should go into every movie.

1. The movie should move you emotionally. Whether that emotion is laughter, fear, shock, excitement, anger, joy, sadness, etc etc.

2. The movie should make you think. Not necasserily on any deep philosophical level, the movie should have at least a hint of depth that makes the viewer have a sense of wonder and thought about the thing after the credits roll.

3. The movie should tell a story. The story of POTC 2 is way too muddled and all over the place. It takes too long for plot points to occur when there is no reason for it to take so long. It's not really a story anyone cares about either. "We wanna... what are we doing again? Finding some dumb chest? To do what? Free some guy's soul, get my honour back, etc etc??" WHO CARES!! Can fans of the movie honestly tell me they were on the edge of their seats story wise? Did you really care what way the story would go? If you were honest with yourselves, probably not. You're just waiting for Captain Jack's next line.

4. The movie should have developed characters. Will's character sucks ass. Even fans of the movie say that. The girl isn't much better. When people go to see a movie just because of one character and actor, there is something wrong with the movie.

What else? What am I missing?? I'm missing something.

Anyway, the point is...

I just want film makers to use their expensive education and years of experience to do what I've listed. And again and again, they can't (or won't) do it. A movie can be fun AND have depth. If I give two ****s about the characters, if I give two ****s about the storiy and where it's going, if there is just a bit more depth there, THEN THE MOVIE WILL BE ALOT MORE FUN!!

There!
 
Cyrusbales said:
I agree, people are too eaily pleased, X3 was a shabby movie, no two words about it. Although the question in your poll is obvious to answer, it's marketing and the previous film, it's those easily fooled people again!

(BTW, what are your fav few films?)

Do you mean new films? What are my favourite new films... good question.

I really enjoyed Fearless. That was a damn good flick. These film makers really know how to move your emotions. You feel joy, excitement, sadness, and you know what?? It's a good story!! It's a good, strong story with a lead character you really genuinely feel for and give two ****s about. The movie also has a great message about how respect is better than fear and that winning isn't what's important in life.

I really haven't enjoyed that many films this year, can't think of anything else right now.
 
Kaine,

The point most of these people are making in general is that this movie is fun, it's not suppose to be deep, thought provoking or insightful. It's 2 and half hours of you, checking your brain at the door, and pretty much watching something that's easy on the eyes.

You are different you want something deeper and poingnant but that's not what the masses want. I'm not stating they are wrong or you are wrong, you just want different things.

Honestly, yeah I'd watch it again, not in the movies, but maybe rent it or watch it on tv. It was a typical summer movie that's meant to just entertain. Is it the movie of the decade, no. My whole beef was the comparisions and posters saying it stands toe to toe, with the likes of LOTR, Godfather or Star Wars.
 
You're getting me wrong, Erz. I don't want "Death of a Mockingbird" here.

I know what it's like to just want to be entertained by a movie. I just think the entertainment value is much better if the quality of the story and characters is good. Like Fellowship Of The Ring, or Spider-Man, or Revenge Of The Sith.

Good characters, good story = more entertainment.

That's pretty much all I'm saying.
 
kainedamo said:
Do you mean new films? What are my favourite new films... good question.

I really enjoyed Fearless. That was a damn good flick. These film makers really know how to move your emotions. You feel joy, excitement, sadness, and you know what?? It's a good story!! It's a good, strong story with a lead character you really genuinely feel for and give two ****s about. The movie also has a great message about how respect is better than fear and that winning isn't what's important in life.

I really haven't enjoyed that many films this year, can't think of anything else right now.

I thought fearless was an underachievement, for such a poigniant historical character, i expected more of a movie. I liked the fight scene for champion of his region, but the film for me was too longwinded, and had some dodgy wirework in it.

Match point in my opinion is easily the best cinema release this year, mesmerising(how it missed out on the bafta i will never know!!!)
 
kainedamo said:
You're getting me wrong, Erz. I don't want "Death of a Mockingbird" here.

I know what it's like to just want to be entertained by a movie. I just think the entertainment value is much better if the quality of the story and characters is good. Like Fellowship Of The Ring, or Spider-Man, or Revenge Of The Sith.

Good characters, good story = more entertainment.

That's pretty much all I'm saying.

revenge of the sith??? That was just a money making flick with no soul, it was like watching a computer game, how they weren't lynched by star wars fans i will never know!!!! an abomination!
 
I thought X3 was a good movie givne the circumstance and time Ratner had to deal with.
 
I think it's one of the best SW flicks. I don't really think much of the SW saga overall. Revenge Of The Sith is dodgy and cheesy, with bad acting and bad lines.

But the story and characters are still interesting.
 
I felt that they pushed up X3 to compete with SR and look what happened? They should have took their time and did a better job instead of given flashing lights and more action, instead of depth and heart.
 
And actually with ROTS you'd be surprised how much was cgi and how much was minature sets. A lot of people assume it was the former.
 
kainedamo said:
I don't ask for much from a movie. These are the most important elements that should go into every movie.

Very true. I agree that there are particular elements that need to be in a movie to make it good if not great.

1. The movie should move you emotionally. Whether that emotion is laughter, fear, shock, excitement, anger, joy, sadness, etc etc.

1. Im a big fan of the movie. Each emotion you described is in the film. I dont know what film you saw but at some point while watching the film I felt those emotions.

2. The movie should make you think. Not necasserily on any deep philosophical level, the movie should have at least a hint of depth that makes the viewer have a sense of wonder and thought about the thing after the credits roll.

2.Now this is something you claim the movie didnt have. To you the film had no depth. There was plenty for my friends and I to discuss after the film was over.

3. The movie should tell a story. The story of POTC 2 is way too muddled and all over the place. It takes too long for plot points to occur when there is no reason for it to take so long. It's not really a story anyone cares about either. "We wanna... what are we doing again? Finding some dumb chest? To do what? Free some guy's soul, get my honour back, etc etc??" WHO CARES!! Can fans of the movie honestly tell me they were on the edge of their seats story wise? Did you really care what way the story would go? If you were honest with yourselves, probably not. You're just waiting for Captain Jack's next line.

3. I dont see how POTC 2 plot was too muddled. It was pretty self-explainatory. It pretty presumptuous of you to say people who dont agree with this point arent being honest with themselves.

4. The movie should have developed characters. Will's character sucks ass. Even fans of the movie say that. The girl isn't much better. When people go to see a movie just because of one character and actor, there is something wrong with the movie.

What characters were underdeveloped? Each character has grown in some way since the first film.


kainedamo said:

Its not an excuse. I would be lying to you and myself if I said the movie was without problems but given the circumstance( time constraints, Fox's iron clad hold on all production aspects, Ratner cutting the movie to be under 2 hours) I thought it was good enough.
 
PowersOfMind said:
Very true. I agree that there are particular elements that need to be in a movie to make it good if not great.



1. Im a big fan of the movie. Each emotion you described is in the film. I dont know what film you saw but at some point while watching the film I felt those emotions.



2.Now this is something you claim the movie didnt have. To you the film had no depth. There was plenty for my friends and I to discuss after the film was over.



3. I dont see how POTC 2 plot was too muddled. It was pretty self-explainatory. It pretty presumptuous of you to say people who dont agree with this point arent being honest with themselves.



What characters were underdeveloped? Each character has grown in some way since the first film.




Its not an excuse. I would be lying to you and myself if I said the movie was without problems but given the circumstance( time constraints, Fox's iron clad hold on all production aspects, Ratner cutting the movie to be under 2 hours) I thought it was good enough.

I disagree, the only emotion that I my freinds felt was boredom, then relief when it finished.

The characters were just worse versions of the ones in the first film. No development, the characters remained the same, CPT JACK's morality, was the nearest thing to development, and this was not much of a step.

I feel this movie was made just for money, and it shows. There is so much wrong with this film, the sheer length of time spent with just open water made for a bad film, pirates need the sea, but they use it to get places, it's not the destination like it is in this film, I hope the next one will be better, which won't be hard.
 
What is this whole you have with open water? Jack was on the run trying to save his own a**. THey are going to be traveling from place to place so that he can get what he need to save himself. The same goes for Will. At first he treying to save himself and Elizabeth but then he meets his father and wants to save him too.

This film was made for the fans of the first one and people who want to see a good movie with a good story and interesting characters.
 
PowersOfMind said:
What is this whole you have with open water? Jack was on the run trying to save his own a**. THey are going to be traveling from place to place so that he can get what he need to save himself. The same goes for Will. At first he treying to save himself and Elizabeth but then he meets his father and wants to save him too.

This film was made for the fans of the first one and people who want to see a good movie with a good story and interesting characters.

could've fooled me!
 
In Sweden POTC made more money in five days than X-Men did in eight weeks
 
Pirates broke records because it kicked ass. For those of you saying that the comparisons to Star Wars or Indiana Jones are stupid and way out of place, I've got some hefty news for you: You are wrong.

It is the new Star Wars. It is the new Indiana Jones. It is action, adventure, romance, lore, heroes and villians, good vs evil, comedy and tragedy. Anchored by a slew of iconic charecters. Cursed Pirates. A man with a squid face. The main charecter is played by a man that leads it's films just as well as Harisson Ford led Indiana Jones.

For those of you out there saying it was boring and had no plot, I've got some more news for you: You are in the very small minority. I know some people that don't like the Matrix. I know some people that don't like Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings. And yes, I know some people that don't like Pirates. But by and large, everyone likes the movie. Too bad you don't.
 
Rez said:
Pirates broke records because it kicked ass. For those of you saying that the comparisons to Star Wars or Indiana Jones are stupid and way out of place, I've got some hefty news for you: You are wrong.

It is the new Star Wars. It is the new Indiana Jones. It is action, adventure, romance, lore, heroes and villians, good vs evil, comedy and tragedy. Anchored by a slew of iconic charecters. Cursed Pirates. A man with a squid face. The main charecter is played by a man that leads it's films just as well as Harisson Ford led Indiana Jones.

For those of you out there saying it was boring and had no plot, I've got some more news for you: You are in the very small minority. I know some people that don't like the Matrix. I know some people that don't like Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings. And yes, I know some people that don't like Pirates. But by and large, everyone likes the movie. Too bad you don't.

read the reviews, guy... "by and large" about half of the people who saw this movie didn't like it.
 
POTC2 is getting to $300m :eek:

It can make $400m in total and maybe even $900m in WW :eek:
 
Rez said:
Pirates broke records because it kicked ass. For those of you saying that the comparisons to Star Wars or Indiana Jones are stupid and way out of place, I've got some hefty news for you: You are wrong.

It is the new Star Wars. It is the new Indiana Jones. It is action, adventure, romance, lore, heroes and villians, good vs evil, comedy and tragedy. Anchored by a slew of iconic charecters. Cursed Pirates. A man with a squid face. The main charecter is played by a man that leads it's films just as well as Harisson Ford led Indiana Jones.

For those of you out there saying it was boring and had no plot, I've got some more news for you: You are in the very small minority. I know some people that don't like the Matrix. I know some people that don't like Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings. And yes, I know some people that don't like Pirates. But by and large, everyone likes the movie. Too bad you don't.

Star Wars at least had added depth to their characters by the 2nd one. You have many of your fellow posters saying that there wasn't that much character depth in the 2nd movie and this movie is just suppose to be fun. I think you are making Pirates up more than it probably is.
 
yeah, i'm getting sick of hearing about all the 'plot' and 'characterization' that pirates 2 supposedly has... it's not there. people doing things for 2 and a half hours isn't a plot, and people acting a little differently then they did in the last isn't characterization. plus, the movie was not that fun, and i think people that think it was are fooling themselves into thinking that.
 
Why does it bother you so much that ppl don't share your opinion to the point you get annoyed and try to force your view on them ?:confused:
 
kainedamo said:
You're getting me wrong, Erz. I don't want "Death of a Mockingbird" here.

I know what it's like to just want to be entertained by a movie. I just think the entertainment value is much better if the quality of the story and characters is good. Like Fellowship Of The Ring, or Spider-Man, or Revenge Of The Sith.

Good characters, good story = more entertainment.

That's pretty much all I'm saying.

I was with you until you mentioned Revenge of the Sith...

just got out of watching DMC... dug the hell out of it, and I'd watch it again. I certainly wouldn't compare it to SW, but it definitely feels like Indiana Jones. not that it's anywhere near as good.
 
hunter rider said:
Why does it bother you so much that ppl don't share your opinion to the point you get annoyed and try to force your view on them ?:confused:

because i have an immediate dislike of anyone who hops on a bandwagon, just to be on it... and an even bigger dislike of people who don't know that they like something only because it's popular.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"