The Official Play TV Thread

At £100 it's not worth it just yet. If it's only gonna pick up terrestrial channels in the UK it'll be useless but if it picks up all of Europe then it might be worth about £50 but there's no way I'm paying £100 when I already have a PVR with my satellite service

Europe only I believe

that would be extremely lame...why would they put forth so much effort for something like this only for it to be used exclusively in Europe? doesn't make much sense to me.

Because you got too excited about it....

I still think it´s a really bad idea for a console, be it Sony or Microsoft, to want to be a media center.
In the end, a console is a gaming rig, more than that is pathetic, just look at the PSX.

of course PSX never went mainstream but I see nothing wrong with being able to do an assortment of things

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think it is just the natural evolution of systems to come. They days of just a "gaming rig" ended a long time ago when they went from cartridges to discs. With the disc format you could play your CD's and DVD's. Now you can connect your system (360 and PS3) to PC and stream media. The industry is changing every generation. Just my two cents.

Like me, the majority of people care for the games, and that´s a console is, a gaming platform, everything else is a bonus.
People will not buy a PS3 because it can do a lot of things, if that´s Sony´s dream, they can forget about it, it will make the PS3 fail even more.
Just like the PS3 is not a PC and will never be.
In that department, Microsoft´s is being much smarter, they didn´t built a console for the future, they built a console for today.

Sony´s is so messed up is not even funny, they are losing it by the minute.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think it is just the natural evolution of systems to come. They days of just a "gaming rig" ended a long time ago when they went from cartridges to discs. With the disc format you could play your CD's and DVD's. Now you can connect your system (360 and PS3) to PC and stream media. The industry is changing every generation. Just my two cents.
Yes, changes will continue to happen, but Sony is overdoing it.
Maybe i´ll change my mind in the future, but as of now, i think it´s pathetic and more money for Sony to lose.

Well actually their fortunes have been improving as of late. How is it pathetic for them to be offering more cool features to the user, for free.

I'll definetly be using the PS3 as a DVR. I already use it for music and movies in our apartment.

Lets look at it this way, and this is just an example, take the 360 and the PS3.
One has a fabulous library of games, the other can do a lot of things, but the games suck.
Which do you think will be a sucess?

And don´t start with the "PS3 has great games too", because it was just an example.

Would the effort put into adding these extra features for the PS3 would actually detract from the parts of the company geared toward making games, or securing games from third parties.

I agree that the most important part of a console is to play games and that should come first, but would the amount of capital put into developing these extra features amount to even 10 percent of a budget for somethign like Uncharted? I could be wrong, but it's just my impression that the amount of resources taken away from to 'warchest' (as it were) wouldn't be that detremental to the game development side. I'm sure many times more money is going to tech development, hardware optimizations, and game development.

Honestly I think the PS3 becoming a true media hug thing is cool. That's like my inner nerd having a geekasm though. Now I think what Sony should do is spend more time marketting the PS3 as a device that does more than just play games. But I don't know if the Bluray market is big enough, yet, to warrent that kind of PR investment...

Isildur´s Heir;13811407 said:
Lets look at it this way, and this is just an example, take the 360 and the PS3.
One has a fabulous library of games, the other can do a lot of things, but the games suck.

And don´t start with the "PS3 has great games too", because it was just an example.
That is not a valid comparison, due to the length of time each system has been on the market. After this year you could try and use it. If you take the systems first years, the PS3 has sold more in it's (with competition). So maybe having more features is a good thing, right?

That is not a valid comparison, due to the length of time each system has been on the market. After this year you could try and use it. If you take the systems first years, the PS3 has sold more in it's (with competition). So maybe having more features is a good thing, right?
You didn´t read the last part were i said it was an example, not a comparision between consoles, did you?
If you want, forget the 360 and PS3, put it brand A and B.

I saw it, but you used it as an unfair example. Just wanted to correct it. If two sytems came out at the exact same time and one had ton of great games from the start (never happens) and the other didn't , but had extra features. It's never happened before, so I don't know what would happen. It depends on marketing, what the extra features are, price point for each, reputation of the game maker, what exclusives each had, etc.etc. No one could give an answer with so many variables.

Dude PS3 pwns all!

Did you know you can play PC games on Playstation 3?

My friend showed me how to upload Crysis onto his PS3 and he played it! It was so tight, true HD experience to. If anyone is interested i'll tell them how.

Next stop, the PS3 will have a microwave, for the gamer can heat their food while playing....
And then it can have a GPS, or transform into a car...

With the disc format you could play your CD's and DVD's.
Now that´s a natural evolution, because it has to do with the format, not adding things and making what the platform is not.
Why wasn´t the PSX released outside Japan?
Because it was a huge failure, because no one wanted a all-in-one media player, when the playstation is a gaming platform.
It´s the same reason the 360 doesn´t have a web browser, why would anyone want that?
Don´t they have a PC?
Does Sony thinks that, because they have a web browser, and can hook up a keyboard and mouse, will replace the PC?
That will never happen, and those are the little things that became ridiculous if you think about them.

Did you know you can play PC games on Playstation 3?

My friend showed me how to upload Crysis onto his PS3 and he played it! It was so tight, true HD experience to. If anyone is interested i'll tell them how.
Yes, and why would anyone want to do that if they have a high end PC in the first place?

Isildur´s Heir;13811802 said:
Yes, and why would anyone want to do that if they have a high end PC in the first place?

You like raining on people's parades don't you. :csad:

Isildur´s Heir;13811728 said:
Next stop, the PS3 will have a microwave, for the gamer can heat their food while playing....
And then it can have a GPS, or transform into a car...

Now that´s a natural evolution, because it has to do with the format, not adding things and making what the platform is not.
Why didn´t the PSX came out of Japan?
Because it was a huge failure, because no one wanted a all-in-one media player, when the playstation is a gaming platform.
It´s the same why the 360 doesn´t have a web browser, why would anyone want that?
Don´t they have a PC?
Does Sony thinks that, because they have a web browser, and can hook up a keyboard and mouse, will replace the PC?
That will never happen, and those are the little things that became ridiculous if you think about them.
The PSX was a head of it's time. Peope didn't want it at the time.
So now you want to compare the 360 and PS3? Make up your mind. I don't know why the 360 doesn't have a web browser. Maybe because it was rushed and they planned to have it added in a firmware update, or it is going to have a short life cycle and the newer incarnation will have one, or maybe just maybe they just didn't want to have one. Why is it bad to have a browser anyway? It's and extra (free) feature. I (9 million others) don't think it is ridiculous at all , but pretty cool.

Isildur´s Heir;13811728 said:
It´s the same reason the 360 doesn´t have a web browser, why would anyone want that?
Don´t they have a PC?
Its called a feature. It doesnt hurt them or anyone to have it in there and if its possible, why not? There are times when teh web browser have been helpful and convenient. Im glad they included it in

Isildur´s Heir;13811407 said:

Dude, the PS3 has sold the same units as the 360 had at its point in its life. Its not that people dont like it. Its just been out a year less.

Back on topic. I already have a DVR, but another one never hurts. Can't wait for it to hit here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"