• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

Partner studios could be studios Sony doesn't own and just choose to work with, possibly funding the games (but not necessarily). Their main studios seem to already have plenty of projects lined up, yeah.
Not sure which non-1st party studios, would take those dormant ips. Resistance and Killzone became dormant for a reason. And it was during at that time, when Sony was developing several third-person action adventure/open world games - which both Killzone and Resistance didn't really belong to. Resistance's later games were PS Vita only games and we know what happened with PS Vita.

The studio behind Killzone - Guerilla moved on to Horizon, which is a more interesting and more successful IP. Insomniac and Bend (which both worked on Resistance) have also moved on with much more interesting ips.

I however think, if they plan to resurrect those ips, they should probably should port the older games to PS4/5 first, asthose would be extra sales, especially if a revival is imminent.

I'd take all of those! Strange how Killzone and Resistance were left to die as they could have been ongoing franchises. They should have got others studios good at shooters to take them forward with the original studios having their hands full. I'd have liked one more Infamous game at least too.
I played so much of the Resistance trilogy and each time it was very fun. The first game I think may have had the best campaign but the third game was a level up on visuals.

I even played as the Chimera in the Uncharted 2 multiplayer haha

Not sure which non-1st party studios, would take those dormant ips. Resistance and Killzone became dormant for a reason. And it was during at that time, when Sony was developing several third-person action adventure/open world games - which both Killzone and Resistance didn't really belong to. Resistance's later games were PS Vita only games and we know what happened with PS Vita.

The studio behind Killzone - Guerilla moved on to Horizon, which is a more interesting and more successful IP. Insomniac and Bend (which both worked on Resistance) have also moved on with much more interesting ips.

I however think, if they plan to resurrect those ips, they should probably should port the older games to PS4/5 first, asthose would be extra sales, especially if a revival is imminent.
Can’t hurt to port the older games/remaster them ahead of making further mainline games. I’d like PS to have more non live service, single player shooter games.

Is there any PS showcase planned for summer or later this year, or under wraps for now?

Is there any PS showcase planned for summer or later this year, or under wraps for now?
I haven't heard anything yet, but I hope they have something planned for the summer. Pretty much every state of play they've had this generation has been disappointment after disappointment. They need something for Q4, and they also need to officially announce the Ps5 pro.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I hope they have something planned for the summer. Pretty much every state of play they've had this generation has been disappointment after disappointment. They need something for Q4, and they also need to officially announce the Ps5 pro.
I’m not sure what to expect this year but I think next year’s will be the strongest for many years with a bunch of their big studios hopefully finally ready to show or at least announce new material.

There was a rumor going around that they’ll have a showcase around September
Nice.

After Insomniac mentioned going for Hellblade level graphics for Wolverine I’m pretty desperate to see any attempt at that. Even if it was only somewhere close it would be amazing, plus with the game coming out a couple of years later with a much larger team and with bigger hits behind them, it has to be at least possible.

I’m not sure what to expect this year but I think next year’s will be the strongest for many years with a bunch of their big studios hopefully finally ready to show or at least announce new material.
Even their 2025 line up doesn't seem promising. Unless Sony is secretly saving a big 2025 game, okay but I doubt it. There's Death Stranding on the Beach but its not exactly a 1stparty studio game, even though iirc they own the ip?

The big Sony games are officially announced at least 2 years before its release. We know Wolverine isn't going to come out next year. Maybe there's a smaller Insomniac Spider-Man spin off game like Miles Morales, but it won't be as high profile as Spider-Man 2. If not this year, they should be announcing their next big games next year and who knows when will those eventually come out.

Well they should be announcing a PS5 Pro this year, unless the hardware will now come out in 2025?
I’ll be interested in seeing that but hopefully there is a full games showcase too, I guess 2 separate events.

Even their 2025 line up doesn't seem promising. Unless Sony is secretly saving a big 2025 game, okay but I doubt it. There's Death Stranding on the Beach but its not exactly a 1stparty studio game, even though iirc they own the ip?

The big Sony games are officially announced at least 2 years before its release. We know Wolverine isn't going to come out next year. Maybe there's a smaller Insomniac Spider-Man spin off game like Miles Morales, but it won't be as high profile as Spider-Man 2. If not this year, they should be announcing their next big games next year and who knows when will those eventually come out.
I’m not looking for games to come out in 2025 that we don’t know about, I just want an idea of the roadmap and what the big studios are working on, even if they can’t show much by that point. When I have a vague idea I can then dream/fantasise/speculate about them for the next few years before they come out. :cwink:

I’m not looking for games to come out in 2025 that we don’t know about, I just want an idea of the roadmap and what the big studios are working on, even if they can’t show much by that point. When I have a vague idea I can then dream/fantasise/speculate about them for the next few years before they come out. :cwink:
Next year, would be a good time to announce the next big game of Naughty Dog, Bend Studio, Guerilla, Sucker Punch and Santa Monica.

Though they would probably come out by 2027 or 2028, if not much longer.

For 2026, its probably just Marvel's Wolverine. Unless there's another big game announcement later this year.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Reveal trailer: June 2014
Release month: May 2016

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Reveal trailer: June 2015
Release month: February 2017

God of War
Reveal trailer: June 2016
Release month: April 2018

Days Gone
Release month: April 2019

Marvel's Spider-Man
Release month: September 2018

Death Stranding
Release month: November 2019

The Last of Us Part II
Reveal trailer: December 2016
Release month: June 2020

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Reveal trailer: December 2016
Release month: August 2017

Ghost of Tsushima
Reveal trailer: October 2017
Release month: July 2020

Horizon II: Forbidden West
Reveal trailer: June 2020
Release month: February 2022

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Release month: November 2020 (PS5 launch)

Demon's Soul
Release month: November 2020 (PS5 launch)

Returnal
Release month: April 2021

God of War: Ragnarök

Reveal trailer: September 2021
Release month: November 2022

Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Release month: October 2023

Marvel's Wolverine

Death Stranding 2: On the Beach
Reveal trailer: December 2022

From that list, its not entirely impossible that there would be a new big Sony game released by Q4 2025 and early 2026. I guess, maybe Venom? But there should be a reveal trailer later this year.

Ragnarök's announcement was much earlier than September 2021. I only later remembered, it had a logo/title reveal first.

Looking at that list, its really been a long time since they announced a big first party game. I only included the Death Stranding games, as Sony owns the trademark for those. 2016, 2020 and 2021 were big years in terms of announcements.

From that list, its not entirely impossible that there would be a new big Sony game released by Q4 2025 and early 2026. I guess, maybe Venom? But there should be a reveal trailer later this year.
Thanks for putting that list together. I love the Insomniac stuff but I want more from the other big Sony studios, especially Naughty Dog! They need to nail TLOU3 and then get that fantasy project done. I'll take God of War for life and would be fine with more Horizon (not multiplayer or lego lol), but also nice if we get at least another couple of big new games from the main studios.

Thanks for putting that list together. I love the Insomniac stuff but I want more from the other big Sony studios, especially Naughty Dog! They need to nail TLOU3 and then get that fantasy project done. I'll take God of War for life and would be fine with more Horizon (not multiplayer or lego lol), but also nice if we get at least another couple of big new games from the main studios.
The new ips for me would be more interesting to me. I still want the sequels from the big ips, but a new ip would be so refreshing to me, like it would feel like stepping on a new world.

Things don't seem right with Insomniac and their Spidey-verse. 2 felt a bit choppy, they took ages to get basic features in; and despite all the leaks they're very cagey about future plans. It's a weird time right. Sony have too many big studios for everything to be so quiet.

Oh, and I just got stick drift for the first time... sigh.

Here's the list of released/announced games by Sony's studios since the start of the PS5 era (remasters/ports excluded)

Bluepoint (acquired in 2021)
2020: Demon's Souls

Bungie
TBD: Marathon

Firesprite
2023: Horizon: Call of the Mountain

Firewalk
2024: Concord

Guerilla
2022: Horizon II: Forbidden West
2023: Horizon: Call of the Mountain (co-prod)
2024: Lego Horizon Adventures (co-prod)

Haven
TBD: Fairgames

Housemarque
2021: Returnal

Insomniac
2020: Spider-Man: Miles Morales
2021: Ratchet & Clank: Rifts Apart
2023: Spider-Man 2
TBD: Wolverine

Naughty Dog
2022: The Last of Us Part I

Polyphony Digital
2022: Gran Turismo 7

San Diego
2021: MLB The Show 21
2022: MLB The Show 22
2023: MLB The Show 23
2024: MLB The Show 24

Santa Monica
2022: God of War: Ragnarök

Team Asobi:
2020: Astro's Playroom
2024: Astro Bot

Studios without a brand new PS5 game yet:
Bend
Media Molecule
Nixxes (PC ports only)
Sucker Punch

Not the most exciting list. More big games should be out by the time when PS6 is announced (2026 or 2027). But the day when the Ps6 is launched, some of those studios would have only released 1 to 2 games for the PS5. Game development isn't going faster, which is similar to other non Sony studios out there like BioWare, Kojima Productions and Rockstar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"