The Avengers The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I've always been a Cap/Hulk fanboy myself.

When it comes to mythological superheroes, give me Wonder Woman. :o

O-RLY-CAT_medium.jpg

I really thought the aspect ratio and musical score would bother me but I simply lost myself in this movie. By the time it was over nitpicking seemed so pointless to me.

the aspect ratio will definately bother me on blu ray. I think filming fullscreen (rather than widescreen) is crazy.

All these "Thor was underused" remarks are starting to get under my skin, damn you Whedom! :argh:

I'd say that every Avenger (aside from Hawkeye) gets their fair share of love. I wouldn't say that Thor was underused (especially since I think he got a LOT of love in the action department), but I think Iron Man and Hulk were the two that stole the show.

But like I said, I think every Avenger gets their share. For the people who were worried about this movie becoming an "Iron Man & His Amazing Friends," you have nothing to fear. It's not like that at all. :)

Its incredibly hard to criticize this movie. I now look at the dozen+ rotten reviews on RT & wonder HOW said critics didn't LOVE this movie. My first guess is that they weren't fans of the source material & had no clue about who The Mad Titan was (there were people at my screening that thought it was Red Skull & my daughter would correct them & show them her shirt). Fandom aside, I still thinks its a fantastic film. I can't even label it great popcorn because I think its so much more than that. Its just so well-made, I doubt I'll be able to find problems with it in repeat viewings. I had problems with Cap during Cap. I had issues with IM2 whilst watching IM2. You know, that moment where you say "****, why did they go and do that? (sigh)"? I never had that problem during this movie. To add to my overall awesome experience, I watched it in a crystal-clear 7.1 digital screen in the most perfectly centered seat at an equally perfect distance from the screen. It looked orgasmically gorgeous.

Woah ****, if Alexei is raving over this film then I can imagine how much I'm going tolove it.

H

Highlights? ScarJo, Hemsworth, Hulk, and the visual effects.
Major criticism? Truncated Thor. It's not an accident that when Thor literally drops in, the film gets better.

Thats due to him being [BLACKOUT]the last to be reintroduced, once that's done the weaker part of the movie is over. [/BLACKOUT]

Its incredibly hard to criticize this movie. I now look at the dozen+ rotten reviews on RT & wonder HOW said critics didn't LOVE this movie. My first guess is that they weren't fans of the source material & had no clue about who The Mad Titan was (there were people at my screening that thought it was Red Skull & my daughter would correct them & show them her shirt). Fandom aside, I still thinks its a fantastic film. I can't even label it great popcorn because I think its so much more than that. Its just so well-made, I doubt I'll be able to find problems with it in repeat viewings. I had problems with Cap during Cap. I had issues with IM2 whilst watching IM2. You know, that moment where you say "****, why did they go and do that? (sigh)"? I never had that problem during this movie. To add to my overall awesome experience, I watched it in a crystal-clear 7.1 digital screen in the most perfectly centered seat at an equally perfect distance from the screen. It looked orgasmically gorgeous.

Oh wow, Alexei likes the movie?! :wow: Hell must have freeze over! Haha, just kidding. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, AB. :woot:

I loved this movie. Everyone's up here in the house. My daughter's reading Infinity Gauntlet outta sheer excitement & I'm here talkin' to you guys. The wife's mad that she chose to stay home. But yeah, nobody's getting any sleep tonight. Thank you, Joss Whedon & once again - Kevin Feige: your sins are washed away now. 2015 can't come soon enough.

My God. This movie was everything I could have possibly hoped for. Freakin' AMAZING.

It's movies like these that make me even more frustrated with people who think every superhero should be given the Nolan treatment. Enough with this "grounded" garbage. It's part of the reason why I'm not as enthusiastic about the Nolan Batman movies as I used to be ... People can be so darn pretentious about them that I can't enjoy Nolan's vision like I used to. Seeing The Avengers was a breath of fresh air for me. It fiercely embraced its comic book roots while making it a good, fun, and badass film.

If you're a good film maker, then you can make the audience believe in anything. That's what "movie magic" is, after all. You don't always have to be "super realistic" to make people believe in the world the movie is in.

I would go as far as saying that The Avengers is the first comic book movie that FELT like a comic book movie. There are comic book movie adaptations, but this was a REAL comic book movie, if that makes any sense. The pages came to life on screen. AH. SO AWESOME!

World ... I've reached Nerdvana. I give The Avengers a strong 10/10. :)
I can't go quite 10/10 but I hear what you are saying about the genre. I've been dying for a movie to embrace "comic book" and make that awesome. Don't retreat to "realistic"...that's almost lazy and/or timid.

I'm going to find fault with the beginning...but for the opposite reason I'm hearing from others. I wanted it to be "slower". Those cuts I heard about...I'm thinking they came from this part of the movie. It felt a little bit rushed. I would prefer a very slow-paced setup before it explodes. Problem is...if I got my way people would probably complain very loudly about being "bored". :( Crossing my fingers for a director's cut with a "boring" beginning. :)

The Hulk is the best yet, but I still don't think this version will work in a stand-alone movie either. The fact he is going to be very popular in this movie may fool Marvel into thinking they can bring this version into a solo film.
He is once again a mute who doesn't feel like a real character. Loki even describes him as a mindless beast. Yep...that's the Hulk we always get.

I think every character in this movie is the best version yet. That includes everyone from Iron Man to Coulson. I think fans of any of the characters should be happy.

I just left a theater filled with people who had a blast...that's not something you see every day. I'm impressed. Very rarely had this much fun in a movie theater. This is what movies have always been about for me since I was a little kid.

For now 9.5/10 and my favorite Marvel movie. (the poll is closed for some reason) Still putting Kick Ass and Watchmen at #1 on my list though.

I loved this movie. Everyone's up here in the house. My daughter's reading Infinity Gauntlet outta sheer excitement & I'm here talkin' to you guys. The wife's mad that she chose to stay home. But yeah, nobody's getting any sleep tonight. Thank you, Joss Whedon & once again - Kevin Feige: your sins are washed away now. 2015 can't come soon enough.

:grin:

Best comic book superhero movie ever made.

My simplified review of this film.

*faints*

:wow:
now I've seen everything.

Great Movie

My Top 20:
1 - "Hulk? Smash."
2 - "Why should we listen to you?"
3 - "I don't see how that's a party"
4 - "Puny God"
5 - "There's only one God ma'am and I don't believe he dresses like that."
6 - "That my secret Captain, I'm always angry."
7 - "Let me know if real power wants a magazine or something."
8 - "Oh, so that's it. Hulk?"
9 - "You can't pull me out right now, this moron is giving me everything."
10 - Thor holding his hand out for about thirty seconds til his hammer got to him...
11 - ...just in time to lay Hulk out
12 - Hulk not being able to pick up Thor's Hammer
13 - "Shakespeare in the park. Doth thy mother knowest thou weareth her drapes?"
14 - "That's enough!" (Cap to Thor and IM)
15 - "What? You tired?"
16 - "Oh, so that's what it does."
17 - "I actually got that reference."
18 - "And there's one other person you managed to piss off. Phil Coulson."
19 - "Then I'll pursuade you."
20 - "Stark that's a one way trip."
And so, so, many, many others. It was a great ride from beginning to the very end. Magnifico.

Yeah, just did. I so forgot. Oy.

I give it a 10. If any movie deserves a ten (Matrix, Inception, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars Original Trilogy) This movie does.

I think I'm just gonna pass out during GOTG & Avengers 2. On a side note, am I the only one having a tough time believing the studio's previous installment was Joe Johnston's Cap film? They went from McDonald's dollar menu to 4-star a la carte dish. They oughtta just let Whedon write & direct everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"