The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinlyle

shinlyle King of the Haters

Wow.
    This film exceeded my ecpectations on EVERY level. It is now tied with Spider-man 2 for me. Better than everything else.

As for the lack of emotional impact, Were we watchign a different film?! Coulson....*sniff*

That being said, with TDK and the entire Batman Trilogy being so ashamed of its comic roots, its god to see a movie that whole-heartedly embraces every single aspect. TDK may be a movie-lover's fave comic film, but Avengers should be every comic-lover's fave comic film. This one had it all, folks!

Taking my little girl to see it, tonight, and I know she's going to love it! Any time she gets to see Cap on the big screen (her favorite since we saw Cap last year), she is one happy lil' girl!!

10 out of freakin' 10 and I'll even donate extra points to all of you who can't find that extra point to bump all these "9"s to "10"s.

2. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

I never ONCE had an issue with cap's costume. Never.

3. Oruku Saki

Oruku Saki Well-Known Member

And this movie gets BETTER with repeat viewings...3 times now and it was by far the best the 3rd time

4. Carnage27

Carnage27 No one's puppet

Wow. Completely and utterly blown away by the film. The thing was pure fun distilled and freebased straight into my brain. Great writing, great characterization, great emotion, terrific comedy, and mind blowing action. I literally have no complaints (aside from feeling that Cap should have had more screen time :oldrazz:).

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting a little burnt out by comic book movies, no matter how much I like them. This has reinvigorated my love of them, and I'm completely ready for the next round from Marvel.

10 outta 10

I was discussing this with my friend on the way home from the theater, and I completely agree. I love TDK, but it was nice to go to a comic movie that was just straight fun instead of feeling the need to dump needless melodrama on us.

5. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

We need to get that poll back up!

6. Oruku Saki

Oruku Saki Well-Known Member

Quasi- time to add Avengers to your sig bro!

7. iJackSparrow

iJackSparrow Well-Known Member

Nevermind the debbie downers, mates, they are here as protectors of their beloved status quo, making sure THERE'S NOTHING TO SEE HERE, THIS THE AVENGERS MOVIE ISN'T EVEN THAT GOOD ANYWAY, [Insert movie they keep hoping people will see as the best movie ever, instead of an overrated piece of crap next to THE AVENGERS] IS A WAY BETTER MOVIE, I'VE SAID IT BEFORE BUT I'LL SAY IT AGAIN UNTIL YOU'RE ALL CONVINCED THAT'S THE TRUTH, WHILE WE'RE AT THAT, HAVE I TELL YOU THAT I DON'T LIKE THE AVENGERS AS MUCH AS [Insert movie they keep hoping people will see as the best movie ever, instead of an overrated piece of crap next to THE AVENGERS] TODAY? Yeah, right.

[​IMG]

You could wish upon a falling star while you're at it.

As for the review and rating, THE AVENGERS is the best movie I've ever seen and the best movie theater experience I've ever had. Marvel redefined the genre and that's why we have people here trying way too hard to make their point about how this movie isn't as good as [insert something]. Judge with your own eyes, not with the "facts" these people keep hammering these threads try to feed you.

616 out of 10.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  8. captainrogers

captainrogers Diluted SuperSoldier

Amazed. by this movie.
    I wanted to adjust my hype going in to this movie to decent levels, but this movie just took me by the collar and never let go!
    I have a feeling I'll burn out my Blu ray player once this hits the stores.Already planning two more two mor (at least) repeat viewings.

9. OsGom

OsGom Mind-Taker

Ima need to see this in 3D now. How many are still not convinced that Scarjo is The Black Widow? Her and Ruffalo really stood out in this picture.

Did everyone stay for BOTH credits scenes? The majority of my theater was gone before shwarma despite my protests. . . That scene was genius!

10. El Payaso

El Payaso Well-Known Member

Oh, same here.

Man, seriously, learn how to deal with different opinions. We all respect you had a great experience. Now deal with other people's different experiences. It's not like someone else's opinion is going to ruin your experience. Please, tell me it's not so.

11. iJackSparrow

I'm in Brazil and I haven't seen the Shwarma scene, probably will only see when the bluray is released or when the movie is rereleased here in theaters later this year. :/

And I agree, it was funny how I almost how Whedon and ScarJo lead us on to believe that she wasn't that good of a superspy just to sucker punch us at the right moment. Brilliant.

12. Carnage27

Carnage27 No one's puppet

I saw it in 3-D as it was the only showing not sold out. I enjoyed the 3-D. Still not preferred viewing medium, but it wasn't distracting like it can be sometimes.

Also, off topic but The Amazing Spider-man trailer was awesome in 3-D.

13. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

Ok had my 2nd viewing last night.

Good thing because I was desperate after waiting these last 3 weeks.

I daresay the 2nd viewing was actually better for me. I was able to focus more on the details. Joss has truly outdone himself.

14. Endeavor

going back again sometime this weekend... then next weekend, and the one after that hehehe

15. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

For many Marvel fans, this is the moment we have all been waiting for! Ever since Nick Fury declared that Mr. Stark wasn't the only superhero in the world, fans have been salivating over the prospect of the ultimate team-up film: The Avengers! We've closely watched the casting of each Avengers, we watched them grow in their own worlds, and now it is time they come together as one! Now, the obvious question becomes, was it worth the wait? The answer to that, ladies and gentleman, is a resounding YES!

It is truly amazing what Joss Whedon was able to accomplish with this film. When he was hired, many thought this project was simply too big for him and that it would be loaded with pop culture references and lost in "Whedonisms." While Whedon does add his flavor of humor at many points in the movie, he also does what he has been a master at with his television shows: juggle characters. Whedon wasn't dealing with TV actors this time. He had to balance the egos of superstars like Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Sam Jackson, Scarlett Johanson, etc. etc. etc. This is a tall task for any filmmaker, but Whedon allows every Avenger to shine and have their moment in the sun! The film also merges their various visual and sound effects styles and makes you believe that all these characters exist in the same world. Without Joss Whedon's guidance, this film may not have been able to reach its full potential. Bravo!

Everyone in the cast brings their A-game, also. Iron Man is an obvious fan favorite, and Downey does his thing that we love him so much for doing. Evans, Hemmsworth, and Scarlett Johanson are also fun in the film. That said, probably the biggest surprise hit of the movie is the Avenger we didn't see in phase 1 at all: Mark Ruffallo! Sure, we saw Bruce Banner in 2008's The Incredible Hulk, but he had the face of Edward Norton at the time! The Banner in The Avengers is the best portrayel of the character in a feature film. In the Avengers, we see the Banner that is afraid of himself and for everyone else, but we also see a new found edge and bitterness that over the course of interacting with others like him grows more confident and more accepting of the hero he can be! I think a lot needs to be said about Tom Hiddleston, also. Loki I felt stole the first Thor movie, and he doesn't disappoint us here. Loki in this film is far more evil and one-dimensional, but he is so fun to watch and he is clearly having fun terrorizing our heroes. Hiddleston is truly a joy to watch. On the opposite end, many fans of Hawkeye will be disappointed that for most of the movie, Clint Barton is being mind controlled and is evil. Of the Avengers, he clearly is the least important, which is somewhat of a shame given we know the least about him, but at the same time, it serves the story. Plus, Renner gets some moments to shine in the finale!

I read much about the film having a TV-esque look to it. I will agree that of the Marvel films, The Avengers doesn't have the most impressive camera work. At least, not the first 2/3s of the movie. Once the finale hits, however, the action reaches a fever pitch and the quality of the camera work increases significantly. We see a lot of variety in the action shots, including an amazing tracking shot that showcases all the Avengers helping one another. The entire last third of the movie is a visual marvel, and probably the most fun I've had with any comic book based film.

One thing I have seen said by some is that this is basically nothing more than a fun "popcorn" movie and that it offers little outside of spectacle. All I have to say to that is that I hate the term "popcorn film" because it hints that it is a lesser form of entertainment. The fact is many of the best films were simple "popcorn films" including the likes of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, etc. How is it films like that are allowed to be "popcorn fun" but this movie for some reason is a lesser form of art due to daring to be entertaining? It is a stupid complaint, and one I will never agree with. The film succeeds at what it strives for, and it does so gloriously.

When Marvel Studios was formed, we all dreamed we'd eventually see The Avengers together on screen, but even in my wildest dreams, I never pictured the film being this good! It is a perfect blend of great characters, great performances, well balanced and aweomse writing, and so many epic superhero moments. Of all the comic book films I have seen, this is the closest thing I have ever seen to a comic book come to life. The entire tone, pace, and design of the project felt like the Avengers I have come to know and love over my lifetime. This was a major game changer for the genre, and Marvel Studios deserves every penny this earns. Tons of heart and soul went into this project, and it shows. I can't wait for Phase 2, and to see our heroes return! If the post-credits is any indication, we have MUCH to look forward to!

Overall rating - 5/5

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  16. hitmanyr2k

hitmanyr2k Resident Lurker

Strangely I've come to love the 1:85 aspect ratio on bluray. It completely fills my screen and gives me a more cinematic feel at home than scope. Avatar's bluray is a great example of this. That aspect ratio doesn't bother me at all.

17. iJackSparrow

Don't give me your condescending pseudomature crap. I've read your comments here since before I registered and you did nothing but try to talk down this movie and keep hammering your vision down people's throats. YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT AS MUCH AS DARK KNIGHT, SM2 AND EVEN IRON MAN, you've been saying this every ****ing day since I've started acompanying this boards.

What's the point of keep repeating the same opinion again, again and again? What's the endgame here? It's not about not respecting your opinion, I do respect it, but who's the one that keep saying again and again the same things here? If you don't think the movie is as good as countless others keep saying it is, where it comes your urge to keep coming back here everyday to say the exactly same things that you've said yesterday? I'll defend to death the right of you saying what you think, but don't think I won't call someone in their bullcrap when I see it.

My experience won't be ruined with your silly attempts of making this movie don't look as good as it is, but people that aren't that observative should be aware that you have been said this countless times, or am I telling a lie here? Do you want to inform people how much you don't think this movie is as good as x, y and z, fine, go ahead and do it. But I'll reserve my right to say that you're a debbie downer troll that have been doing this for days in a roll here. It's that simple.

18. Endeavor

I see what you did there :D :up:

19. Spider-Fan

I disagree with El Payaso on a great many things, but dude...calm down.

20. iJackSparrow

Awesome, it kind of scares me how many don't get it and ask me what I meant. I feel such a geek, like a geek even between geeks, hahaha

21. Endeavor

Hahah, well Im the guy who other theater patrons come to after the movie finishes to ask who the guy in the creds scene was... so you're not the only geek around, heheh. ;)
    Excelsior!

22. Paladin-Hoss

Paladin-Hoss Well-Known Member

Just ignore him. he's like the few hardcore DC fanboys/Nolanites that comes here, said that they saw the movie and that they did liked it...so that nobody will complain/accuse them of being a raging DC fanboys when they ultimately complain about the movie...again and again and again

Just ignore him.He'll go back to the MOS board to discuss cavill's underwear (or lack thereof) soon enough.:cwink:

23. iJackSparrow

I am calm. I just think that if it's fair for him to keep repeating his negative opinions 24-7, it's only fair that someone will call him out saying that hehas been doing this for days. I'm all for all diverse opinions, if someone doesn't like the movie, they should be welcome to share it and people should respect it. But if you keep doing this everyday, everytime, it goes beyond the "I'm just sharing my opinion here", it's troll behavior. As a mod, you need to say for me to calm down, but just like it's inevitable to have trolls that act with a passive-agressive m.o., there's a need for someone like me to lost the temper once and a while to keep things balanced.

If he was saying this for the second or third time, I think it's okay. But you've been around way longer than me and you probably monitor this boards, tell me how many times you've read the following El_Payaso's remark: "The Avengers is good, but not as good as TDK, SM2 and even Iron Man". I actually lost count.

Will do mate, but as I said above, I think that whenever it gets too heavy handed of his part, it's only fair someone to call him out. I don't understand the dicotomy between superhero movie fanbases, I'm all for all the movies to succeed and you can all bet your lifes that if I didn't like something, I won't keep trying to hammer the point for other people, and that's how a person that isn't an internet troll will behave. I think that calling out troll behavior on internet boards is a way of self-regulate them, keeping a healthier environment for true discussion, but that's maybe only my opinion.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  24. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

No, no, a thousand times no! Whedon must stay with Marvel and keep writing and directing Avengers films. He can sneak in a Black Widow movie if he likes, and consult on the other Marvel projects. But he can't leave. Feige should throw money at him. We (Avengers fans) need Whedon. :word:

25. Spider-Fan

It's his opinion, and he is sharing it. He is allowed to, so long as he doesn't disrespect the posters of the board. He is just sharing his thoughts on the movie, which he is allowed to do 24/7. Negative posts are welcome here, too. People on this site, by and large, are far too sensitive about criticisms of movies they like. You enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. Enjoy that. If he is getting under your skin simply by stating his opinion, ignore him. When he crosses that line disrespect, report it and he will be dealt with. That is how it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.