The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 2

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeetKuneDo Guitarist

There might be something to what you say. The Norton thing was big...on the internet at least...a pretty small number of people in reality. But that may have effected their thinking. I hope so actually.

I do agree that the Hulk is a bigger character than what his box office results would suggest. That's why I say the way he's portrayed onscreen is the problem. It seems only logical to try the real Hulk when the TV version has failed so many times. Why keep going back to something that isn't working?

Harpo Hulk did work well in The Avengers due to having the luxury of many well-developed characters around him at all times. The movie would have lost something without him. He was the "wow". However...you can't build a movie around that alone.

2. Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

I put the parts in bold which i agree with the most in your mini-review. They went all out with Black Widow and it seemed that she played up her role to the extreme. In the final battle when Widow's gasping for air and Cap gives her the boast you really get the idea that she's a "human being" who's relying on her physical ability to get around to this and isn't backing down one bit.

Hawkeye was terrific in the scenes that he was in - but i would've liked to see more of him without being under Loki's spell. I guess it works anyway.

A S.H.I.E.L.D. movie would have to be the ultimate spy film ever made, and i don't think we'll be getting that any time soon. Watching the first bit of Avengers with Fury, Hill, Coulson, and Hawkeye in their HQ really felt like a scene from Escape from New York. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the eye-patch, but Fury's like a more experienced Snake Plisskin addressing the world security council and struggling to give the heroes their push. Coulson, I guess thanks to his portrayal as a "spook" in the IM and Thor films, really made me think about the Men In Black :p or X-Files , whichever. Point being that he comes from a different place in the spy genre -- same with Black Widow, your super spy like Bond or Ethan Hunt? Hawkeye, at least on film, seemed like a Jack Bauer figure. Yes, I know I gave this wayy too much thought. But that's how it felt. S.H.I.E.L.D. really has its own genre niche which wasn't quite realised until The Avengers.

Looking forward to your next review.

Well, like i said, she's more of a female Ethan Hunt or 007 to me. So it works out well. I didn't have any problem with that.

THIS is why Joss Whedon kicks all kinds of ass. :D I was never really into Buffy or Firefly when they were on but liked Whedon's work on X-Men a lot... after watching this, yeah, i'm going to school myself on Joss :D

What I loved the most about those scenes (esp the post-credit one) is how it's very, very much a shot lifted from the opening of Infinity Gauntlet #1

3. Thread Manager Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread [split]384719[/split]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.