The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 23, 2012.

1. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

Well, Figsnfilms, the only point of yours I can agree with is Cap's mask.

2. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Well-Known Member

I think he meant neutered.

3. Big and green

Big and green Well-Known Member

I can actually see where somebody would think that about this movie. It's not a "timeless classic" by any means. Some people just aren't into the imagination thing. But I do agree with his point about the world not being really threatened, it was the opening act of a bigger story, Thanos's invasion.

4. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Loki was played like a lachey? Can we expect to see Newlyweds: Loki & Jessica on MTV this fall?

5. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

What's lachey? :confused:

Does he mean lackey? If so, how did he even come across in that way? :confused:

6. FigsNFilms

FigsNFilms Well-Known Member

I did, was on my phone.

How did Loki come across as a lackey? He was virtually being played by the Chitari the entire time. Thor even calls him out on his ignorance in the final act confrontation between the two.

Either way, both antagonists (Loki and Chitari) are completely non threatning.

I have plenty of imagination. I'm on a superhero message board afterall. I just didn't think the movie was anything particularly special

7. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

I'm sorry, you must have accidencently typed that instead of "OMG IT WAS BRILLIANT ADFFSSKSKA 10/10

8. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Sounds like you didn't even watch the movie. The Chitauri weren't in charge of anything. They are drones.

9. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I loved that sequence. I loved how they had a big prologue before the movie really starts. It was alot like Abrams Star Trek where you have that whole opening bit with Kirk's dad.

10. FigsNFilms

Really, all of that and I didn't watch the movie? Cute.

Loki was promised earth, because he was being WORKED by a much more significant threat.

IE the character shown in the after credits (thus making Avengers a commercial for yet ANOTHER movie) .. the CGI purple cahracter that general audiences know absolutely nothing about.

Yea, Loki was being worked by that guy.

11. Son of Coul

Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

:funny: @ Avengers being a commercial

I guess Marvel Studios doesn't ever make movies, just commercials for other commercials.

12. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

Iron Man 3's a commerical for The Runaways! :D

13. Lorus

Lorus Well-Known Member

Can I just take a second to protest these frequently stated idea that Coulson's "so that's what it does" shrugs off or destroys any drama in the situation.

Firstly, the moment where Coulson is stabbed is played absolutely straight, as is Thor's reaction and the conversation Loki has with Coulson before the infamous mood destroying line. Surely, at the very least, any tension or drama that was created before that moment still stands and has dramatic validity.

More importantly, however, the actual moment where Coulson dies is completely devoid of jokes, it also takes place a scene or two after the line itself which presumably creates some tonal separation. Fury goes to help Coulson and their conversation is exactly as 'serious' as you might expect. When Coulson finally dies, Fury's expression surely sells some dramatic impact.

More importantly though, it's from this point that we actually see the impact Coulson's death has had and again, I stress that there is not a single joke. We see Fury openly grieving, not shouting or being calm, just expressing resentment and hopelessness as he talks to Steve and Tony. I think that the return of the trading cards has dramatic weight as does everything that follows. I believe that after another quiet scene between Widow and Hawkeye we see Tony now very openly grieving, cracking exactly zero jokes while Steve talks to him which leads to Tony's declaration that he is not a soldier, another moment I feel has dramatic weight. At this point, Coulson's dry, resigned one liner must have been so long ago that unless you're still laughing then it can't have affected anything.

I'm also curious about your statement regarding Widow and Hawkeye. Why do you think scenes between them dragged? They only have one dialogue scene together which drives home an essential point about Natasha and pays off the companionship that we know they must feel for each other. It also seems odd to me to draw the line in the sand at them being Avengers when they are so obviously skilled beyond normal people and find some completion in their heroism, just like all the other Avengers.

14. Son of Coul

The Coulson line was just a bittersweet moment for Phil to get in his fun little badass moment before leaving us. It's the thing that makes people in the audience go "haha, awww..." The drama's still there, ask the heaps of people upset by his death in the movie. I guarantee that nobody watching the movie viscerally thought, "Yeah, I felt bad he was dying for a second, but when the character made a joke I just didn't care anymore."

How his offhand remark can even be considered a joke doesn't even make sense. It's humorous and gets a laugh, but a joke that does not make. Reminds me of when people were saying that Darcy was "making puns" throughout the Thor trailer. Really, puns?

15. El Payaso

El Payaso Well-Known Member

Huh? That's exactly what a joke does.

Lol. Darcy barely said some awful one-liners. Mispronouncing 'Mjolnir' is certainly not a pun. Nor it was comedy.

16. Son of Coul

Typically, a joke is defined as something with a set-up and punchline (ie. Thor's "he's adopted" line). Whether or not the moment is objectively a joke, the point still stands.

And yeah, Darcy was completely unnecessary.

17. El Payaso

El Payaso Well-Known Member

So, we know the concept of a joke but we also know the concept of an unnecessary joke.

18. Son of Coul

I dunno about you but yes, I do.

19. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

So A New Hope was a commercial for The Empire Strikes Back which was a commercial for Return of the Jedi?

20. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Sorry, I just wanted to say how proud I am to be a Marvel nerd (...aside from Ultimate Spiderman). Every time I've seen this movie I've cried. It's my childhood. My escape. Something I know and love and ugh it's just so amazing. This film really brought out one of my all time faveourite teams to life and for that I just am so happy.
    Chears for a friggin amazing movie!

21. Sparta*

Sparta* ~Sword of Darkness~

my only complaint would be with captain america. The costume was bad, I dont like chris evans as cap, and he wasnt nearly super soldier like enough. Remember in ed nortons hulk movie when that one soldier had the 'partial' super soldier serum and he was blurring around at super speed, running rings around hulk and fighting him, cap being a full super soldier should be at least as fast and strong as that, but he just seemed like a well trained normal guy with no super powers

I guess if i had to pick another complaint it'd be Loki, he was not threatening at all and should have been a much more intimidating force, not hulks rag doll and a joke

22. FigsNFilms

Meh, those films didn't play out with deliberate tie ins to the next film.

Subtelty is fine, and preferred. All these after credit sequences, so deliberate ... it's cheesy and off putting for me as a viewer. It makes the whole film feel cheap, and thus like a commercial.

Hell, Thor and Captain America: FA literally felt like movies without much of conclusions for their own story, and felt like necessities just to get to Avengers.

23. FigsNFilms

Either way it was a joke ... and undercuts the gravity of the scene. At least it did for me.

LMAO @ this guy arguing ridiculous semantics to say it wasn't a joke.

24. Son of Coul

edit: meh, not worth it anymore

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  25. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

Yeah, I really didn't think it was a joke at all, just Phil's last shining moment before getting Jossed. And for me, it added to the moment, bittersweetness and all. At least JW let Coulson go out like a boss, his death being one of the least painful, traumatic moment for me in a Whedon project.