The Avengers The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

I hope they do the re-release with the extra footage. I'd like to see it a few more times like that

Why would Thanos team up with the Red Skull, though? That's kind of like Godzilla teaming up with a tarantula.

I suppose Thanos could track down the Red Skull and arrange for him to be sent back to Earth, as an agent provocateur to test the Avengers mettle. . .

So Red Skull is the Silver Surfer of Thanos? Eh...no thanks

Just have to say that I love this review of the movie, made me laugh so much.

Avengers was a fantastic film. I've seen it 5 times in theaters (the first being the 3D Avengers marathon). The only other film I've seen this many times in theaters was The Dark Knight at 6 viewings. There is very little I can say against the film as a whole and I'm with those who say it was far more than just a "cheap thrill." I think the plot as well as the characters had a lot of heart and layers of depth. I'll give a quick nod to each character and the role they played throughout.

Captain America was well done. I so expected him to get shafted as the most useless of the team, but he proved himself in the way that only Cap can. He was the strategic leader, the morale-booster and the man who we all wanted to follow into battle. Iron Man was a bit of a show-stealer, which I fully expected. Not that I am complaining as it is always a blast watching him fly around and blow stuff up. [BLACKOUT]But Stark also did something that surprised even me, and that was his shining moment of self-sacrifice. Three movies in, its about time he managed this.[/BLACKOUT]

Hulk was also a show-stealer which was awesome. I miss Ed Norton and I was sour about Mark Ruffalo's casting, but he did just fine and he made me smile multiple times. Big smiles, like this :D. Thor was, in the end, the one who was shafted. Unfortunately he had very little development which was odd, considering his brother was one of the the primary focal points of the film. I just hope the studio recognizes this and gives him a larger role in A2. Speaking of Loki, he was fantastic yet again, as the villain we understand. Now about that blue mind-controlling gem in his staff...

Hawkeye and Widow's relationship was subtle and perfect. This movie didn't call for some great romance (we already got that 4 times in the other 5 movies). But it was good to see that even in the midst of all this crazyness, they found solace in each other. Their very apparently human characters held their own in the fray as well, considering it "was nothing they were ever trained for." :) Nick Fury is finally given some well-deserved screen time. Maria Hill, while useless, is a welcome addition to the universe and [BLACKOUT]Coulson's loss was surprisingly gut-wrenching. [/BLACKOUT]

The action was amazing, and there was just enough of it. The humor was amazing, and there was just enough of it. I give the movie a 10/10 the first CBM since TDK that I think is a perfect adaptation.

I can't wait til its released on Blu-Ray and I can't wait for Avengers 2!

Last edited:
Got to give it a 7 out of ten. I waited a long time for this movie so my expectations were really high. I remember going to watch it at midnight during the release and could not wait for the movie to end. It was very boring to watch. I foud all solo films to be better than this. I have not seen it in months so I don't remember it too much, but it has little replay value. I hated how Loki was used. Lost almost every fight he took part in. Not menacing at all outside of the BW scene. I hated how Cap didn't really seem too out of place. It seemed like he was gone ten years the way he was acting. Robert Downey looked a little out of shape. Bruce Banner was cool no complaints. BW doesn't seem like a spy from Russia, more like eye candy from California. The movie was too campy too many jokes. The only part I can say I enjoyed was the last fight scene. It was cool, but again the enemy was not scary enough. I wanted to see some real destruction. Didn't hate the film but was not pleased at all. 7/10.

There is a difference between campy and tongue in cheek humor.

It's funny how many people think campy is a bad thing.

*shrugs* it's a style of art. There will be people who don't like it. But there are a lot of people who misuse the term to deride something they don't like.

*shrugs* it's a style of art. There will be people who don't like it. But there are a lot of people who misuse the term to deride something they don't like.

Well it is campy though. It's highly self-parodying, teasing in an exaggerated manner, poking fun at itself and the genre in multiple ways. It's a valid criticism just as something being too pretentious is. Just as you said though, it's a matter of taste.

I love this movie. Fun and exciting. It really felt to me like a super hero team while watching it. This was one of the few movies I was very very excited to see in the cinema. I was engaged from beginning to end. Lots of laughter. I was really really hyped after.

When I bought the blu ray, I watched it many times. I will probably watch it some more.

I give this a 9 out of 10.

-from a non-comic book fan

I love this movie. Fun and exciting. It really felt to me like a super hero team while watching it. This was one of the few movies I was very very excited to see in the cinema. I was engaged from beginning to end. Lots of laughter. I was really really hyped after.

When I bought the blu ray, I watched it many times. I will probably watch it some more.

I give this a 9 out of 10.

-from a non-comic book fan
lol My brother and his fiance' aren't comic fans either and loved it too. :woot:

Just have to say that I love this review of the movie, made me laugh so much.

wvnOO.gif

I was really dissapointed by The Avengers, which is weird because I usually like this kind of movies. I liked the movies leading up to The Avengers much more. Also, I keep hearing about how much people loved it and was extremely hyped afterwards.
Can someone please help me appreciate this movie better? I really don't see the appeal.

I was really dissapointed by The Avengers, which is weird because I usually like this kind of movies. I liked the movies leading up to The Avengers much more. Also, I keep hearing about how much people loved it and was extremely hyped afterwards.
Can someone please help me appreciate this movie better? I really don't see the appeal.
State some of the things that were disappointed by or you just look like you're trolling.

Odd

Well, I respect your opinion and all, but it seems to me that you've already made your mind up and nothing I or anyone else can say will necessarily change it. If you didn't like it, that's fine.

State some of the things that were disappointed by or you just look like you're trolling.

Yeah of course, thanks. The thing is, I have a hard time pin-pointing the exact things I'm disappointed. One thing, I can mention, is the actionscenes or fightscenes:
- Loki looks clumpsy every time he fights with his spear, mostly because he obviously doesn't know how. He ends up looking like he wants to jap people. But that is a minor thing that I'm sure most people doesn't agree with or have an explaination for.

- The fights always looked staged and choreographed. There's a moment where Ironman shoots into Cpt. America's shield which reflects off the beam and hits all the bad guys. Would have been great if they where trying to hit something around a corner but they are standing right next to each other! It did nothing for me.

- There were plenty of fights. That's not a problem for me, unless they're basicly pointless. I would much rather had seen Loki shoot out lightning or something demonstrating how powerful he has become in the beginning, but instead he uses a lot of energy jumping around and throwing knives at people. But evidently a lot of the fights and actionscenes has little to do with the story, and most could have been cut out leaving just the hovercraft-scene and the final battle-scene. I never had the feeling that the characters was in any danger, so the fights just became even more pointless. It reminded me a lot of Matrix Reloaded, though not as boring

- Most of the best moves the heroes do is something we've already seen in the "prequels": Cpt. America jumping up and crouching to shield himself from an explosion, Thor attracting lightning and leading it into the ground, hitting everything around him, etc. It gave me the feeling I was watching a Pokémon-movie, where the heroes are pokémon with their basic moves and Fury is the trainer. Would have worked great if we hadn't seen the moves in the prequels. I am aware of the concept of superpowers, but I thinks it would have been interesting to see them using those powers in creative ways. Ironman even gets a new suit but it does pretty much the same as the first one, with nothing added. I really like the Ironman-movies. It brings a big smile to my face every time I hear that metal-clonk his suit makes. Awesome. Good call to let the audience hear all mechanical sounds. Reminds me a bit of steampunk.

- I thought it looked great when Hulk hits the flying war-creature into the ground. I was a little confused why he suddenly could change when he wished to, but I later found an explaination for that. I liked Hulk a lot except that he moved like a gorilla. But the gorilla-thing might've worked for others. Well, clearly it does.
I liked Loki a lot as well. The actor is doing a great job portraying him and the character was well written. I found it interesting that he balanced on the edge between good and evil, and that he just confused and hurt, and not evil for the sake of evil, as you sometimes see. It's sad that people mistake him for the main villain when he actually just was the puppet of the alien-army.

Well, it seems I do have some pretty specific ideas about what I disliked. I just didn't want to sound like I was negative towards every little thing in the movie, and just criticized because I think it's funny to do so. I really want to like this movie and give it ten out of ten. And I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something and misunderstanding it, so I hoped that people could tell me about their expierience, and help me see it in a different light.

One thing I do know: The biggest mistake lies in my expectations. I was expecting this awesome conclusion on all the prequels, but it was actually another origin-story; a prequel to Avengers 2. I hope that's the case and that Avengers 2 is going to fulfill all my wishes I had for the first one. No matter what, I'm looking forward to the second part of the series.

I do agree with some that say that after multiple viewings, the flaws in this film are more noticeable this time around than they were during our first viewings when we were riding high off of the release and success of the film.

I do feel like that the film could have and should have been more bigger.

It should have been more chaotic, more brutal, and I think that they should have gotten a better cinematographer or something since there are a few scenes that really looked flat at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"